Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Grip battery "Intermittent"

slothead

Frederick, US
1906 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
slothead Gold Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 12th Aug 2009
Sat 19-May-12 11:50 AM

Frequently when I take the D700 and grip out for some fast shooting, after only a few sequences I'll notice a slowing in the frame rate. When I check the grip battery in the control panel display (which showed a full BP 30 seconds ago), has dropped to 2 bars (out of the five). More often than not if I unscrew the grip thumbscrew and just break the connection of the contacts, and then reattach the grip, the 5 bars come right back. This morning I noticed that the same can happen if I just pull the batteries out of the end of the grip (and then reinsert them).

I use Duracell Ultra Power cells, but I've seen the same thing happen in the past with standard Duracells.

Has anyone else seen this happen. It's not a major problem, but I would prefer not to have to unscrew the grip every few minutes.

Tom
http://tjmanson.smugmug.com
D810, D750, N1-J5, N1-V3 (and a few other cameras) and a BIG handful of lenses.

Robp

Gainesville, US
951 posts

#1. "RE: Grip battery "Intermittent"" | In response to Reply # 0

Robp Gold Member Nikonian since 23rd Oct 2009
Sat 19-May-12 11:26 AM

Tom,

I''ve seen this happen on multiple devices including the D700 grip with batteries. It occurs, I think, because the contact surfaces of the battery holding device and the battery ends are made from products that easily corrode and that is often compounded by the fact that they are dissimilar materials. Short of going to gold on both holders and batteries, we are probably going to have to learn to live with some problems due to use of relatively easily corroded materials.

If I'm thinking, which admittedly is often not the case, I open new battery-holders and spray every metallic piece (obviously the battery-contact points and the new battery-ends) with "CRC QD Electronic Cleaner"; I repeat this process, plus generally clean everything, whenever I replace the batteries. This tends to work pretty well.

As a slight aside, the battery holders in Apple's remote keyboard and mouse appear to be built in a much more robust manner and tend to exhibit far fewer problems than any other battery-powered device I've seen.

Rob Puller
My Nikonians gallery

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

slothead

Frederick, US
1906 posts

#2. "RE: Grip battery "Intermittent"" | In response to Reply # 1

slothead Gold Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 11th Aug 2009
Sat 19-May-12 08:47 PM

Rob,
That CRC QD stuff is a great tip! Thanks for that. I'll be sure and try it.

And since you mentioned it, I also have problems with my Apple Magic Mouse batteries disconnecting, and I know a lot of folks (probably a small percent of the total population however) that do too.

Thanks for the cleaner tip!

Tom
http://tjmanson.smugmug.com
D810, D750, N1-J5, N1-V3 (and a few other cameras) and a BIG handful of lenses.

richardd300

Dyserth, UK
4572 posts

#3. "RE: Grip battery "Intermittent"" | In response to Reply # 2

richardd300 Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2009
Sun 20-May-12 07:30 PM | edited Sun 20-May-12 07:31 PM by richardd300

I've had this problem with my D7000 grip, never with the D700 grip! Exactly the same, 3 bars or less, then re-mount and screw back tightly gives 5 bars. It's about oxidation I think and I now use a cotton wool bud with some mentholated spirits and clean the contacts about once every few months and it's not happened again.

I also believe the MB-D10 grip For the my D700 is of a much higher build quality.

Richard

Visit my Nikonians gallery

Visit my website www.pixels4u.co.uk
The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing. Einstein

G