Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

best lens for vacation

sensor

US
93 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
sensor Registered since 30th Oct 2011
Thu 17-May-12 10:01 PM

Hi there!
I'm just wondering what would be the best lens for traveling to a third world country with a Nikon D700 camera....?????
thanks.
silvio

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

GiantTristan

Stamford, US
2688 posts

#1. "RE: best lens for vacation" | In response to Reply # 0

GiantTristan Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Jan 2006
Thu 17-May-12 08:17 PM

From the lenses listed in your profile I would select the 24-70/2.8. If you think you might want more reach, get the 24-120/4.

Tristan

adcam

Portland, US
598 posts

#2. "RE: best lens for vacation" | In response to Reply # 0

adcam Gold Member Nikonian since 31st Dec 2007
Thu 17-May-12 08:28 PM

28-300 would be a good all around lens.

ajdooley

Waterloo, US
3385 posts

#3. "RE: best lens for vacation" | In response to Reply # 2

ajdooley Gold Member Nikonian since 25th May 2006
Thu 17-May-12 09:15 PM | edited Thu 17-May-12 09:16 PM by ajdooley

The 24-70 is heavy and attracts attention; the 24-120 gives up a stop but has VR; the 28-300 surrenders light gathering capability and a little wide angle capability, and there are of necessity, trade-offs in a 10:1 zoom ratio lens. But all things considered, the last lens offers the greatest versatility. You may want to consider a WA zoom or prime for the short end if you anticipate a lot of crowded scenes, or even a 35 or 50mm prime for low light. Consider your safety and the potential risk that goes with attracting attention as well. You didn't say where you were headed, I believe. As a Navy vet, I have traveled the world, and there are places I simply would not take anything other than a P&S.

Alan
Waterloo, IL, USA
www.proimagingmidamerica.com

sensor

US
93 posts

#4. "RE: best lens for vacation" | In response to Reply # 3

Thu 17-May-12 09:20 PM

I'm planning to go Nicaragua....but I don't plan to go around walking with a big expensive lens in a crowded area...

Drbee

Naperville, US
5927 posts

#5. "RE: best lens for vacation" | In response to Reply # 4

Drbee Silver Member Nikonian since 05th Aug 2004
Thu 17-May-12 10:15 PM

After all day, the camera gets to be big and heavy too and a bit hard to disguise....

I use my 24-120mm f/4 AFS VRII frequently. It's a great range and the VR is a significant advantage in a fast moving travel situation. I've recently started using a Black Rapid strap and that's made a huge difference in my ability to carry the load all day. The strap is secure and easy to use, but the carry is exposed. Prior to that I've used a Domke J803 bag that's literally been all over the world with me. I work from the bag and "holster" the camera after each use. It's nice to have both options at your disposal.

Regardless of zoom choice, I also take a fast prime lens to give me the option of "skinnying" down the camera, especially for after dinner walks. The focal length is a matter of choice, but my personal preference is the 35mm f/2 AFD lens. It's a bit dated, but light weight and certainly sharp enough in the center to create good images. It's a standard reportage lens, but now replaced by the 35mm f/1.4 AFS lens which is huge (size and weight). My other choice is a 50mm f/1.4 AFD. These two AFD lenses work well on the D700, are compact and both still adequate in the optics department.

Roger
It's still, ISO, aperture and shutter-speed, right?

GiantTristan

Stamford, US
2688 posts

#6. "RE: best lens for vacation" | In response to Reply # 4

Thu 17-May-12 11:53 PM

I have been to Central and South America many times and I always took my best equipment. What is the use of having good lenses, if you only use them to take shots of brick walls in the privacy of your backyard?

To ease your concerns I suggest you insure your gear. This is fairly cheap with a rider on your home owner's insurance - I pay about $65 pa for K$20 of equipment.

Tristan

sensor

US
93 posts

#7. "RE: best lens for vacation" | In response to Reply # 6

Thu 17-May-12 11:58 PM

It makes a lot of sense when you said "good lenses only to take shots of brick walls of your backyard....."
The lens are for use it and take it with you around wherever you go..so I made the decision of taking the 24-70 and the 70-200 and take the chances....

tanks for your reply it helps me out a lot.

thanks.

GiantTristan

Stamford, US
2688 posts

#8. "RE: best lens for vacation" | In response to Reply # 7

Fri 18-May-12 12:30 AM

Great idea to also take the 70-200, this allows you to put some distance between you and the object. I attach an example from the crowded market in Otavalo, Ecuador, where I only used the 70-200 with my D700.

Click on image to view larger version

Attachment#1 (jpg file)

Tristan

sensor

US
93 posts

#9. "RE: best lens for vacation" | In response to Reply # 8

Fri 18-May-12 12:32 AM

Very nice picture..colorful.

familyman1955

Orem, US
54 posts

#10. "RE: best lens for vacation" | In response to Reply # 0

familyman1955 Silver Member Nikonian since 11th Feb 2006
Fri 18-May-12 03:26 AM

I am writing this response from Uganda, where I have brought my 24-70 for use on my D700. I have used this lens here for the past two years and in other places such as Sudan, Botswana, etc. I agree with others who say that you should use your best equipment possible, or why have it. Of course it is large and heavy, but the results are worth the effort.

I have never felt threatened in terms of safety and have never found any need to hide or disguise my equipment.

Best of luck on your trip.

FamilyMan

rubo

NL
27 posts

#11. "RE: best lens for vacation" | In response to Reply # 4

rubo Registered since 09th Mar 2011
Sat 19-May-12 06:44 AM

I have a 700 with a 28-300 . It is a heavy combination, but I solved this this problem. Buy a Sun Sniper Sling. It is easy to carry your camera and it has a metal cable that makes it impossible for thieves to cut the sling.

www.pbase.com/rdsb

llevine

El Paso, US
448 posts

#12. "RE: best lens for vacation" | In response to Reply # 1

llevine Gold Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 09th Jul 2007
Sun 20-May-12 08:43 AM

The 24-120 vr2 f4,has been a great travel lense for my d700. It's versatile and with the high ISO capabilities of the d700 you don't sacrifice much.

glxman

South Australia, AU
6750 posts

#13. "RE: best lens for vacation" | In response to Reply # 0

glxman Moderator Awarded for his high level skills, specially in Wildlife & Landscape Photography Nikonian since 04th Oct 2008
Sun 20-May-12 11:20 AM

24-120,
And a "hat full of cards"
Insurance will replace your camera and lens,
A "hat full of cards" is also good insurance,
And carry a good P&S for those "tough" gigs
Regards,
Gary

I used to have a photographic memory but never got it developed

G