Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Which Camera to buy

marcus welby

AU
5 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
marcus welby Registered since 17th May 2012
Thu 17-May-12 01:02 PM

Hi,

I am looking to buy a camera and lens' set for indoor basketball. What would be a good set up. Looking at D700 or D3s (expensive).
Need a 70-200f2.8 lens and a lens when for when i am at one end of the court.

Currently using a Nikon D60 with Tamrom 70-300mm tele macro.

Any thoughts on which way to go. Don't want to spend cash then find out i made a mistake.

thanks
mark

ajdooley

Waterloo, US
3320 posts

#1. "RE: Which Camera to buy" | In response to Reply # 0

ajdooley Gold Member Nikonian since 25th May 2006
Thu 17-May-12 09:22 PM

I shoot a ton of high school basketball for a weekly newspaper in SW Illinois. If you can get down on the floor edge, you might consider the 24-70mm f2.8. You can get some very "up close and personal" shots from either side just under the basket. If you are limited to seating areas, the 70-200mm f2.8 is a good bet. I use both. The D700 will do everything you need -- I use two of them in my work, and you can grab some pretty nice ones used these days. If you choose used, I'd stick to Nikonians or a camera store you trust -- or KEH. You will pay at the latter two, but that is compensated for by the surer deal. New D700s are alledgedly reduced in price right now -- they always go down after I buy! BTW, if you are shooting high school ball, offering a CD to the school for the yearbook can grease access to the floor level.

Alan
Waterloo, IL, USA
www.proimagingmidamerica.com

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

MEMcD

US
31270 posts

#2. "RE: Which Camera to buy" | In response to Reply # 0

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007
Fri 18-May-12 06:11 PM

Hi Mark,

Welcome to Nikonians!
Unless the gyms you shoot in are extremely dark, the D700 should be more than up to the task. The 24-70mm that Alan mentioned is a good choice.
You might want to consider a prime lens like the Sigma 50mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM or the Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G AF-S. the Sigma is a about 1/3rd the price of the 24-70mm and the Nikkor is about 1/8th the price.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

marcus welby

AU
5 posts

#3. "RE: Which Camera to buy" | In response to Reply # 1

Sat 19-May-12 11:22 AM

Hi and thankyou for taking the time to reply. I appreciate it.
Yes, the D700 is the way to go. I can't wait to get one. It's unreal that i am talking to someone from the USA. I will be visiting your country in late 2014 when my son comes over to play ball against some of your junior rep clubs. I am so excited about the visit. In the meantime i have uploaded a picture i took of my son playing ball last night. I am just a newbie but i am pretty damm happy with this photo. Your feedback would be most welcome.

Once again, thankyou.

regards,
mark

marcus welby

AU
5 posts

#4. "RE: Which Camera to buy" | In response to Reply # 2

Sat 19-May-12 11:25 AM

Hi Marty,

Thanks for your reply. Looks like i am getting the D700 can't wait. Check out the picture i uploded. Feel free to comment. I am damm happy with this photo.

regards,
mark

timpsm

Salt Spring Island, CA
416 posts

#5. "RE: Which Camera to buy" | In response to Reply # 4

timpsm Registered since 17th Sep 2010
Sat 19-May-12 01:28 PM

You've captured the moment, and that's the hard part. I would crop to increase the immediacy and to remove the player on the left, unfortunately, when you do that, the sharpness is not quite there, probably due to show shutter speed. The D700 higher ISO makes a huge difference. Good start and enjoy the fun of it, it's addictive.
tim

MEMcD

US
31270 posts

#6. "RE: Which Camera to buy" | In response to Reply # 3

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007
Mon 21-May-12 12:07 PM

Hi Mark,

Excellent timing.
The D700 combined with "Fast Glass" will allow you to use a shutter speed fast enough to freeze the subjects motion.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

Snappo

Tulsa, US
467 posts

#7. "RE: Which Camera to buy" | In response to Reply # 3

Snappo Silver Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2015 Nikonian since 09th Apr 2004
Mon 21-May-12 04:05 PM

Your picture from the D60 is excellent. A D700 will move the quality to a new higher level. We still have our D60 as well as the D7000 and D700. You love the results from the newer technology!

a retired old duffer with the time to have fun,
Jim

marcus welby

AU
5 posts

#8. "RE: Which Camera to buy" | In response to Reply # 6

Mon 21-May-12 08:28 PM

Hi MEMcD,

Thanks very much for your reply and feedback. Man, I am so excited to be able to capture that moment. My son will be able to show his children this photo in years to come.

Can't wait to get my D700 and "Fast Glass".

I love photography.

regards,
mark

marcus welby

AU
5 posts

#9. "RE: Which Camera to buy" | In response to Reply # 7

Mon 21-May-12 08:31 PM

Hi Snappo,

Thanks for taking the time to reply and your kind words on my photo.

Yes, i got lucky capturing that moment in time. Wow, I am so spun out with this photo. it's one of my best moments with a Camera.

Yes, it's time to move up to the D700 and fast glass.

regards,
mark

G