Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
moore82

US
7 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
moore82 Registered since 14th May 2012
Tue 15-May-12 12:15 AM

I recently purchased a MB D-10 for my D700, and noticed that it is made of plastic and not magnesium like I've seen advertised. My question is, should I send it back, or will the plastic one work just as good as the metal one?

Asgard

East Frisia, DE
60239 posts

#2. "RE: MB D-10" | In response to Reply # 0

Asgard Administrator He is your Chief Guardian Angel at the Helpdesk and knows a lot about a lot Nikonian since 07th Apr 2004
Tue 15-May-12 01:20 PM

If it has not an magnesium alloy, it´s not the original MB-D10 from Nikon.

Gerold - Nikonian in East Frisia
Eala Freya Fresena

olivierrychner

Boudry, CH
5255 posts

#3. "RE: MB D-10" | In response to Reply # 0

olivierrychner Gold Member  Awarded for his long standing high level of commitment to the Nikonians community and demonstrated excellence in the art and science of photography. Nikonian since 03rd Jan 2005
Tue 15-May-12 05:44 PM

As Asgard says, wouldn't call it a MB D10!

Where did you buy that from?

FWIW I have just taken mine into my hands, empty (no batt), and it still feels reassuringly heavy, with part that are obviously metallic apparent next to the nicely gripping rubber "inserts": the plate against the camera, the part just above the door...

Olivier Rychner

Auta i lomë! And my Nikon's only awaiting daylight...

moore82

US
7 posts

#4. "RE: MB D-10" | In response to Reply # 3

Tue 15-May-12 11:02 PM

I purchased it from a man selling all of his camera equipment. Its in a Nikon box, has the nikon manual,and all the other little things that come with it. I can send it back to the guy for a refund, but I wanted to see how good the plasatic ones held up first.

olivierrychner

Boudry, CH
5255 posts

#5. "RE: MB D-10" | In response to Reply # 4

olivierrychner Gold Member  Awarded for his long standing high level of commitment to the Nikonians community and demonstrated excellence in the art and science of photography. Nikonian since 03rd Jan 2005
Wed 16-May-12 02:59 AM

Hi again!

Actually there are no "plastic ones", period. If it comes from a box with MB-D10 written on it, well it's metal, and magnesium alloy can be very "un-metallic" when you touch it, especially at ambiant temperature. Or... it's a fake, and your seller is either a victim or an accomplice.

Could you, if you still have time, post pictures of the grip and the box, with close-ups or crops of the interesting parts?

Thanks in advance!

Olivier Rychner

Auta i lomë! And my Nikon's only awaiting daylight...

D2Xstatic

Eugene, US
1064 posts

#6. "RE: MB D-10" | In response to Reply # 5

D2Xstatic Silver Member Nikonian since 16th Mar 2011
Wed 16-May-12 08:54 PM

Look on ebay.They sell both and the fakes' box has reversed coloring. Gold=black, etc. On a quick glance, it looks real. The "fake" sellers may have changed the name slightly, as well.

David

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

moore82

US
7 posts

#7. "RE: MB D-10" | In response to Reply # 6

Thu 17-May-12 03:19 AM

I uploaded two pictures of the motor drive and box, so if I did it right, you should be able to pull them up and see what I was talking about. I had noticed on ebay that there were Nikon brand MB D-10s that were two totally different prices.

James

Asgard

East Frisia, DE
60239 posts

#8. "RE: MB D-10" | In response to Reply # 7

Asgard Administrator He is your Chief Guardian Angel at the Helpdesk and knows a lot about a lot Nikonian since 07th Apr 2004
Thu 17-May-12 08:16 AM

Don't worry, James

Yours is the original. All is good.

Gerold - Nikonian in East Frisia
Eala Freya Fresena

slothead

Frederick, US
1906 posts

#9. "RE: MB D-10" | In response to Reply # 6

slothead Gold Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 11th Aug 2009
Thu 17-May-12 08:19 AM

>Look on ebay.They sell both and the fakes' box has reversed
>coloring. Gold=black, etc. On a quick glance, it looks real.
>The "fake" sellers may have changed the name
>slightly, as well.

I'm not sure that's accurate. I just looked on the 'bay and it appears that if you rotate the box 90 degrees around its long axis, you see the reversed colors.

Tom
http://tjmanson.smugmug.com
D810, D750, N1-J5, N1-V3 (and a few other cameras) and a BIG handful of lenses.

moore82

US
7 posts

#10. "RE: MB D-10" | In response to Reply # 8

Thu 17-May-12 12:57 PM

It just feels like pastic, and doesn't have that metal feel to it. I know there are off brand ones that are for sure plastic, and I've made it a point to stay away from those. If you look on ebay, there are Nikon MB D-10s for $75.00, but the items location is China. This is what is confusing me because a MB D10 ordered from a camera shop is $250.

pechacek

Hanover, Maryland, US
19 posts

#11. "RE: MB D-10" | In response to Reply # 10

pechacek Registered since 11th Jan 2011
Thu 17-May-12 03:01 PM

If you look at the AA battery holder the difference between plastic and metal parts is easily seen.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

moore82

US
7 posts

#12. "RE: MB D-10" | In response to Reply # 11

Sat 19-May-12 12:24 PM

I took the battery holder out to look things over, and from what I can tell, the grip itself is plastic. You can see where the plactic was injected into the mold, and there's ribs molded into it for added support. The final clue that shows that its plastic is the thin metal plate that adds strength to the bottum.

G