Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Wow, a D700 only forum

nathantw

US
184 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
nathantw Registered since 16th Jan 2008
Wed 02-May-12 09:00 PM

I didn't think I'd see a separate D700 section. I don't now if this is a good thing or bad. As others had said in another forum, the D700 had been talked to death and the amount of D700 talk had dropped dramatically. The D800 talk basically brought the D700 forum back to life. So, it'll be interesting how popular the D700 section remains.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Also http://www.flickr.com/photos/nathantw/

Captain Rich

Savannah, US
1277 posts

#1. "RE: Wow, a D700 only forum" | In response to Reply # 0

Captain Rich Silver Member Nikonian since 25th May 2006
Wed 02-May-12 08:50 PM

Personally, I like it. The D800 is a totally different system IMHO.

Rich

ajdooley

Waterloo, US
3330 posts

#2. "RE: Wow, a D700 only forum" | In response to Reply # 1

ajdooley Gold Member Nikonian since 25th May 2006
Wed 02-May-12 11:13 PM

They do seem to be two different animals. But now I have to visit another forum to learn whether or not I need to consider adding a D800 to my arsenal. I know... tough beans! I just hope everyone is happy!

Alan
Waterloo, IL, USA
www.proimagingmidamerica.com

slothead

Frederick, US
1906 posts

#3. "RE: Wow, a D700 only forum" | In response to Reply # 0

slothead Gold Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 11th Aug 2009
Wed 02-May-12 11:34 PM

Yep,
I think the mods did the right thing. Well done whomever.

Tom
http://tjmanson.smugmug.com
D810, D750, N1-J5, N1-V3 (and a few other cameras) and a BIG handful of lenses.

piniongear

Houston Texas, US
466 posts

#4. "RE: Wow, a D700 only forum" | In response to Reply # 3

piniongear Registered since 29th Jul 2006
Thu 03-May-12 12:12 AM

I just returned from my trip to the Galapagos Islands and of course had a ton of emails to sort through.

In fact there were 3 that were on the D700/D800 forum and I chose to 'unsubscribe from the forum at that point.

A few minutes ago I logged in and found there is now separate forums for D700 and D800.

Way to go Admin!!!

Thank you for listening to the members......and I thank the members who posted their opinions, either for or against separate forums.

I believe Admin made a good decision here, and of course I am very pleased to see this done.

Oh, and regarding the Galapagos... I took my D700 with me with the D300s body for backup.
This place is a photographer's dream location.
If you ever have a chance to go, do not miss the chance.

Without a doubt, one of the more beautiful places on earth and everyone should see this place at least once in their lifetime.

I want to thank member Ned for giving me the inspiration to make this trip.
Perry

Click on image to view larger version

Attachment#1 (jpg file)
Attachment#2 (jpg file)

Fogtripper

US
131 posts

#5. "RE: Wow, a D700 only forum" | In response to Reply # 0

Fogtripper Silver Member Nikonian since 26th Jul 2004
Thu 03-May-12 01:22 PM | edited Thu 03-May-12 01:23 PM by Fogtripper

>I didn't think I'd see a separate D700 section. I don't now
>if this is a good thing or bad. As others had said in another
>forum, the D700 had been talked to death and the amount of
>D700 talk had dropped dramatically.

The amount of current chatter is not an indication of existing written knowledge on the body. Nor does it justify burying good information the moment something new comes along.

Basically what happened was akin to someone walking into our house, grabbing our D700 information and scribbling over all of it with D800 information.

My thanks to the admin for finally separating them.

JerryLoSardo

Frederick, US
1095 posts

#6. "RE: Wow, a D700 only forum" | In response to Reply # 0

JerryLoSardo Gold Member Charter Member
Thu 03-May-12 02:15 PM

When the topic of a separate D700 forum surfaced, I have to say I didn't care one way or the other. But I've changed my mind. It really is nice to not have to wade through the D800 posts. Good call, Administrators.

Jerry LoSardo
Frederick, Maryland

Hektor

Rancho Palos Verdes - So-Cal, US
706 posts

#7. "RE: Wow, a D700 only forum" | In response to Reply # 0

Hektor Platinum Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 08th Jan 2008
Thu 03-May-12 03:25 PM | edited Thu 03-May-12 03:29 PM by Hektor

Thanks admins for splitting the two forums. As I stated before, it was not my call to make. On the other hand, I found it extremely excruciating going through the old D700/D800 forum. I'm still wavering about getting or not getting the D800 for a plethora of reasons, either way. The enthusiasm in the old forum was very contagious almost forcing me to reevaluate my decision, time and time again.

Hektor

My Blog: Hektors Blog
My Photo Album: Hektors Photos
My Nikonians Album: My Galleries

Nikonians is our Safe Port and Home in the World Wide Web - Participate as a Full Family Member.

Leica Q - Fujifilm X-T2 (~ October) - Fujifilm X-T10 (Silver) - Nikon D5500 (IR) - Nikon D750
Member since 2007 - Previous User Name: Ramesses (2035 posts) A combined total of 2735+ posts and counting.
"Photography is like a box of chocolates; you never know what you're gonna get." Forrest Gump - The Photo Reviewer.

pechacek

Hanover, Maryland, US
19 posts

#8. "RE: Wow, a D700 only forum" | In response to Reply # 0

pechacek Registered since 11th Jan 2011
Thu 03-May-12 04:29 PM

Thanks for splitting the forum.

jgould2

Fort Pierce, US
4584 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to send message via AOL IM

#9. "RE: Wow, a D700 only forum" | In response to Reply # 0

jgould2 Gold Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Nikonian since 13th Oct 2007
Thu 03-May-12 07:16 PM

Hi all.

Either way is fine with me! I read them both as I am considering getting a D800 eventually.

JIM

mstracke

Houston, US
94 posts

#10. "RE: Wow, a D700 only forum" | In response to Reply # 0

mstracke Gold Member Nikonian since 28th Feb 2009
Thu 03-May-12 07:18 PM

Separating them makes sense, to me that are different product lines. As for my D700, just looking to add a second body off the used market. I do not think I will be able to exceed the camera's capabilities anytime soon. That said, I guess the D800 would make a good second body. Thanks to the admininisters for breaking it apart.

D700, 14-24mm, 24-70mm, 70-200mm, 105mm micro, TC14-II, TC20-III, 200-400mm

KenLPhotos

Stewartstown, US
1908 posts

#11. "RE: Wow, a D700 only forum" | In response to Reply # 0

KenLPhotos Gold Member Nikonian since 26th Jul 2009
Thu 03-May-12 11:29 PM | edited Thu 03-May-12 11:29 PM by KenLPhotos

Good News - I Was skipping the 700/800 posts. The 800 is a great camera but I can't afford it. Thanks Mr. Moderator, wherever you are!

KenL

There are many 'photographs of beautiful objects' but not so many 'beautiful photographs of objects'.

wcguy

CA
44 posts

#12. "RE: Wow, a D700 only forum" | In response to Reply # 11

wcguy Silver Member Nikonian since 27th Nov 2009
Fri 04-May-12 12:27 AM

Another thank you. I deleted the D700 forum once it became the D800 and maybe in there somewhere the D700 forum.I had no interest in the D800. I am glad the forum is back as I am. Thanks for the reconsideration. WC

'ITS WHAT YOU LEARN AFTER YOU KNOW IT ALL THAT COUNTS'

walkerr

Colorado Springs, US
16914 posts

#13. "RE: Wow, a D700 only forum" | In response to Reply # 0

walkerr Administrator Awarded for his con tributed articles published at the Resources Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in multiple areas Master Ribbon awarded as a member who has gone beyond technical knowledge to show mastery of the art and science of photography   Donor Ribbon awarded for his most generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2015 Nikonian since 05th May 2002
Fri 04-May-12 12:38 AM

We're glad you're enjoying the forum. Not unlike the camera sales themselves, the level of interest in the D800 on Nikonians caught us by surprise, but we adjusted.

Rick Walker

My photos:

GeoVista Photography

genepooleink

Anchorage, US
37 posts

#14. "RE: Wow, a D700 only forum" | In response to Reply # 0

genepooleink Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Mar 2010
Fri 04-May-12 01:20 AM

I have to agree that this is a good move as I had stopped reading the 700/800 forum. The sifting and sorting through all of the 800 entries was driving me crazy and like someone else mentioned, the D800 is in a different category, period. Even though I've had my D700 for almost 3 years now, I'm still learning new things about this camera almost every day.

Thanks to the admin people.

Lee

Lee
Alaska USA

Alfresco

Ashburnham, US
9 posts

#15. "RE: Wow, a D700 only forum" | In response to Reply # 14

Alfresco Registered since 07th Jan 2009
Fri 04-May-12 02:37 AM

The move to separate D800 from D700 is more than greatly apprectiated. It was such a wonderful surprise to open the email from Nikonians and to one again find D700, exclusively. If anyone thinks the D700 has lost its edge and appeal, just look at the number of posts in this forum. It wasn't that the camera had suddenly diminished in its popularity, the forum had just become overwhelmed by the D800 craze. These are two amazing, versatile cameras that deserve their own separate forums. Thanks for listening and responding.
"You'll be old longer than you'll be young, so enjoy"

Hektor

706 posts

#16. "RE: Wow, a D700 only forum" | In response to Reply # 0

Hektor Platinum Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 08th Jan 2008
Fri 04-May-12 04:08 AM | edited Fri 04-May-12 06:36 AM by Hektor

Hi:

I’m also considering the D800/D800E (D800,) but one of my problems are the file sizes. It is not the 75 MB RAW files (14-bit uncompressed,) 36 MB (12-bit lossless compressed,) or the 16 MB JPEG (Fine) it is the ~ 250 MB TIFF files coming out of Photoshop CS6 that is the problem (4 photos = 1 GB.) The only way for me to get the D800 (without upgrading my PC) is to come out of CS6 with a JPEG file (16 MB + 35 MB DNG = 50 MG per photo.) At this time I produce 16 MB DNG + 90 MB TIFF (16-bit) = ~ 100 MB per photo. In order to get the D800, I will have to alter my PP workflow:

1. Import the images to LR 4 (LR.)
2. Select the photos.
3. Use Bridge or MiniBridge (MB) to start with ACR.
4. Take the photo into PS to use the plugins and the many tools.
5. Save the photo in JPEG and import it back into LR.
6. Finish the PP in LR.
7. Publish in SmugMug.

I am in the process of analyzing the new workflow and so far it has not been successful, but needs further experimentation. The same photos using Tiff files (even 8-bit) look so much better. It could be my fault, though.

I realize that I need to upgrade my PC. I have a Dell Tower XPS with dual-core Intel 3 GHz and 8 GB RAM. I’m also running Windows 7 64-bit. I need a quad-core I-7 with at least 16 GB RAM. My motherboard only recognizes 8 GB RAM. IMHO, this is not the time to upgrade when 128-bit bus and processing is just around the corner (if not Win 8, certainly Win 9.) In addition, Solid State Drives (SSD) are coming into their own. If I upgrade now, I will definitely have to upgrade again (128-bit) in two or three years. My only reason for this double upgrade would be the D800. Otherwise, I have more than I need with my present system.

Lastly, to finance the D800, I will have to sell two of my three cameras and it won’t be the D7000 (the one that makes the most sense, but it won’t happen.) Therefore, it has to be the D700 and the X1. There is no way I’m selling the X1. Period. In other words, I will have to sell the D700 and finance or find the money for the remainder.

One powerful reason for getting the D800 is my macro/tabletop, which I consider a complete different system. The D800 would produce stunning results. To me tabletop is inside photography as opposed to outside photography. If I cannot get out, I bring photography in. I’m getting up there in age (63) and my health is not what it used to be. I have diabetes type II with bilateral neuropathy (internal and external.) It is not a big deal, but it makes me, sometimes and not all the time, a bit unstable especially on uneven ground. I did rush the Gitzo 1541 as a consequence and I hate tripods.

Lastly, the D800 seems to excel in B&W. There is no need to get a monochrome only sensor camera.

I won’t do anything before this September. I have to see what Leica will do with their rumored mirror-less camera and new lens system that will be priced between the X1 and M9 - also the rumored Nikon D600. On the other hand, I do not have to do anything. My beloved D700 is better than good . In other words, I’m very lucky and fortunate to have the D700, D7000, and X1. Instead of wishing, lusting, and praying for the D800 (especially the M9 with only three lenses ,) I should thank my lucky stars.

For the above reasons, I do not want to visit the D800 forum. It is hard enough for me without reading, time and time again: “WOW, what a camera, look at the details, best decision I ever made, best camera in this universe and the next one.”

THANK YOU FOR THE D700 FORUM!!!

Best regards,

Hektor

PS: I forgot to include the following, which I consider very important. There is another way that I will get the D800: if Nikon introduces Capture NX3. It was rumored a year ago that NX3 would include all the Nik Software plugins except for Color Efex Pro 4, which would be sold separately. I would be able to handle NEF files without getting out of NX3. However, I gave up. NX2, LR2, and CS4 were co-generational. We now have LR4 and CS6 and still NX2, which is completely dated. NX2 is basically built on Viveza 1 and Viveza 2 is superior. IMHO, Nikon has to support NX or get out of the software market making NEF open-architecture, like Leica with DNG format and LR. The latter is Leica's Raw converter.

Nikonians is our Safe Port and Home in the World Wide Web - Participate as a Full Family Member.

Leica Q - Fujifilm X-T2 (~ October) - Fujifilm X-T10 (Silver) - Nikon D5500 (IR) - Nikon D750
Member since 2007 - Previous User Name: Ramesses (2035 posts) A combined total of 2735+ posts and counting.
"Photography is like a box of chocolates; you never know what you're gonna get." Forrest Gump - The Photo Reviewer.

llevine

El Paso, US
446 posts

#17. "RE: Wow, a D700 only forum" | In response to Reply # 4

llevine Gold Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 09th Jul 2007
Fri 04-May-12 06:27 PM

Nice shots. I'm going in September. What lenses did you take and what did you use?

Dr4688

Parkland, US
337 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to send message via AOL IM

#18. "RE: Wow, a D700 only forum" | In response to Reply # 6

Dr4688 Silver Member Nikonian since 24th Jun 2009
Fri 04-May-12 10:45 PM

Agreed

Keith

photobugjp

Ito, JP
29 posts

#19. "RE: Wow, a D700 only forum" | In response to Reply # 5

photobugjp Silver Member Nikonian since 14th Mar 2003
Sat 05-May-12 04:24 AM

Me 2!

Growing old is mandatory; growing up is optional.
visit my web page; http://www.jgb-imaging.org

expat

Qawra St Pauls Bay, MT
532 posts

#20. "RE: Wow, a D700 only forum" | In response to Reply # 16

expat Silver Member Nikonian since 09th Mar 2010
Sat 05-May-12 05:10 AM

Another thanks from me, of late I have beeen deleting the once welcome daily messages without reading them, they had become a blurr of 'D800"

wcguy

CA
44 posts

#21. "RE: Wow, a D700 only forum" | In response to Reply # 20

wcguy Silver Member Nikonian since 27th Nov 2009
Sat 05-May-12 12:35 PM

Something else to note, the D700 hasn't stopped selling, there are still some new ones out there and many folks buying the D800/D800E/D4 are selling their D700's to new D700 owners, so potentially there could be at least the same amt of owners or even more out there.

'ITS WHAT YOU LEARN AFTER YOU KNOW IT ALL THAT COUNTS'

alpentourer

Black Forest, DE
855 posts

#22. "RE: Wow, a D700 only forum" | In response to Reply # 21

alpentourer Gold Member Nikonian since 24th Jul 2010
Sat 05-May-12 01:44 PM

When the D800 came out and I read the first posts in our German forum, my decision was clear. I purchased a D700 and my D300 went into backup.
Thanks for having a dedicated D700 forum.

Dietrich - Nikonians in Germany
Greetings from northern Black Forest

Our world of Panoramic Pictures

musical

north-central, US
1050 posts

#23. "RE: Wow, a D700 only forum" | In response to Reply # 22

musical Registered since 12th Feb 2010
Sat 05-May-12 09:52 PM | edited Sun 06-May-12 11:46 PM by musical

I echo some others and the d800 messages were not as enjoyable for me since I cannot afford the (well, admittedly interesting) newer camera. I smile at the light humor, too, "just me and the old 700 trying to keep the relationship alive." Seriously, I am enjoying the 700 forum with renewed interest and I do hope to keep my silver membership this upcoming year.
Ps, To Perry (post #4) I'll probably never see the Galapagos Islands. I have been to Rio, and the Panama canal 4xs. Lovely photos; hey, and you could have picked up a d800 just for a back-up camera? heh heh. I'm being funny.
Over & out.
Sincerely, james

Ed911

US
222 posts

#24. "RE: Wow, a D700 only forum" | In response to Reply # 23

Ed911 Silver Member Nikonian since 01st Apr 2007
Sat 05-May-12 10:09 PM

D700 only forum, good...love it...and I agree...with the used D700's going up for sale, we should be able to maintain interest in the forum for a while.

Thanks to whoever made this decision and change possible.

Mike in FL

Jacksonville, US
580 posts

#25. "RE: Wow, a D700 only forum" | In response to Reply # 0

Mike in FL Silver Member Nikonian since 13th Apr 2008
Sun 06-May-12 12:42 AM

Woo Hoo!

I like this much more than the combined forum. Thanks, Mods, for listening!

Mike

Hektor

706 posts

#26. "RE: Wow, a D700 only forum" | In response to Reply # 16

Sun 06-May-12 03:28 AM

Update:

My attempts to go with JPEG out of CS6 were unsuccessful. The photos in Tiff files are superior. I did attempt to stay in LR and DNG, but it is unacceptably and painfully slow. In order to post process DNG in LR only, I have to upgrade the PC now (I am referring to the Graduating Filter and Adjustment Brush tools.) Therefore, I have to come out from CS6 with Tiff files. The D800 is out of the question, at this time or in September.

Hektor

jdroach

Milwaukee, US
6997 posts

#27. "RE: Wow, a D700 only forum" | In response to Reply # 0

jdroach Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded. John exhibits true Nikonian spirit by frequently posting images and requesting comments and critique, which he graciously accepts. He is an inspiration to all of us through constant improvement in his own work, keen observations and excellent commentary on images posted by others. Donor Ribbon. Awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Donor Ribbon awarded for his most generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2015 Nikonian since 21st Mar 2009
Sun 06-May-12 12:22 PM

I am glad to see this even though after all the discussion, I could live with them combined. I will still subscribe to both forum so that I can keep on the latest camera discussions...it nice though to keep the two cameras separated. Thanks to everyone and Nikonians.

jdroach

Visit my Nikonian gallery
See my Website at jdroachphotography.com
See My Flickr Photostream

rubo

NL
27 posts

#28. "RE: Wow, a D700 only forum" | In response to Reply # 0

rubo Registered since 09th Mar 2011
Sun 06-May-12 07:34 PM

Great, a special forum for us d700 users. I was getting bored reading all the speculations from people waiting for their camera.

www.pbase.com/rdsb

loveisageless

Oakland, US
119 posts

#29. "RE: Wow, a D700 only forum" | In response to Reply # 0

loveisageless Silver Member Nikonian since 27th Feb 2011
Mon 07-May-12 12:17 AM

I'm glad for the change. I bought my D700 used after the D800 was announced. I'm sure I'm one amongst many new D700 users. It is still Nikon's entry level full frame camera body and is down right affordable right now.

hpbpe

Acworth, US
99 posts

#30. "RE: Wow, a D700 only forum" | In response to Reply # 0

hpbpe Gold Member Nikonian since 02nd Jan 2009
Mon 07-May-12 12:10 PM

I appreciate the separate D700 forum. I started another thread for the same thing and there were 60+ comments. Thanks to the Administrators.

Hylos Barrett
"Things turn out best for the people who make the best of the way things turn out." John Wooden

Bob32

Chico, US
5869 posts

#31. "RE: Wow, a D700 only forum" | In response to Reply # 13

Bob32 Silver Member Nikonian since 28th Jul 2007
Mon 07-May-12 03:17 PM

Rick,

Thanks for splitting the D700/D800 forum into separate forums. I'm a D700 owner and having to wade through all of those frenzied semi-hysterical D800 posts was driving me crazy!

Bob

walkerr

Colorado Springs, US
16914 posts

#32. "RE: Wow, a D700 only forum" | In response to Reply # 31

walkerr Administrator Awarded for his con tributed articles published at the Resources Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in multiple areas Master Ribbon awarded as a member who has gone beyond technical knowledge to show mastery of the art and science of photography   Donor Ribbon awarded for his most generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2015 Nikonian since 05th May 2002
Mon 07-May-12 03:30 PM

I'm glad it helped.

Rick Walker

My photos:

GeoVista Photography

fdmhiggins

Norwood, US
31 posts

#33. "RE: Wow, a D700 only forum" | In response to Reply # 30

fdmhiggins Registered since 13th Aug 2008
Mon 07-May-12 06:22 PM

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

rpiechow

Berwyn, US
14 posts

#34. "RE: Wow, a D700 only forum" | In response to Reply # 33

rpiechow Silver Member Nikonian since 02nd Jun 2009
Wed 09-May-12 04:35 PM

Thank you!

neurocyclist

US
6 posts

#35. "RE: Wow, a D700 only forum" | In response to Reply # 29

neurocyclist Registered since 15th Feb 2012
Thu 10-May-12 08:21 PM

I'm with you. The D800 release, and the resulting D700 used market allowed me to get into full frame at a great price, with a great camera. Moreover, it also allowed me to come over to Nikon! Loving the camera so far, but need to beef up my Nikon glass.

G