Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Dusty old D700 - wonder if it will work for sports

dsouleles

Great Falls, US
162 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
dsouleles Silver Member Nikonian since 06th Mar 2009
Sun 15-Apr-12 03:03 AM

College Ultimate tournament in Reston, VA today (4/14/2012)...

I use the grip with the big batteries for 8 FPS which I need to get peak of the action on just about every play. I know others can shoot single shots and get it but my reactions are just too slow.

Dean
(I still love my D700 even though I've ordered the D800)

D700, Nikon 200-400, F/4, ISO 200, 1/1000 sec, Lightroom 4, lightly cropped

Click on image to view larger version

Attachment#1 (jpg file)
Attachment#2 (jpg file)
Attachment#3 (jpg file)
Attachment#4 (jpg file)
Attachment#5 (jpg file)
Attachment#6 (jpg file)

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

KnightPhoto

Alberta, CA
4962 posts

#1. "RE: Dusty old D700 - wonder if it will work for sports" | In response to Reply # 0

KnightPhoto Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Dec 2006
Thu 03-May-12 09:41 PM

Lots of emotion and exertion in those photos Dean, well done!

A good demonstration of a need for bursts is any sport that doesn't necessarily have a predictable peak of action, like you show here. Same goes for Wildlife where in 80% of cases one has no idea where and when a peak of action will occur!

Best regards, SteveK

'A camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera.' -- Dorothea Lange
My Nikonians gallery
My Nikonians Blog

vchelf

Houston, US
284 posts

#2. "RE: Dusty old D700 - wonder if it will work for sports" | In response to Reply # 0

vchelf Gold Member Nikonian since 13th Sep 2009
Thu 03-May-12 11:55 PM

My son plays Ultimate in high school. I've been to some of his tournaments. It's tough to catch that frisbee and the players in the peak of action!

Best regards,

Victor Chelf (vchelf)
Houston, TX

Visit my Zenfolio gallery.

dsouleles

Great Falls, US
162 posts

#3. "RE: Dusty old D700 - wonder if it will work for sports" | In response to Reply # 2

dsouleles Silver Member Nikonian since 06th Mar 2009
Fri 04-May-12 01:18 AM

Steve and Victor -

Thanks so much. I used to shoot crew - just wait for the boats to come by and shoot in burst for 30 seconds! Ultimate is much more challenging - it just keeps moving. I alternate between following the disc and then just following my son or some other player. I have plenty of memory cards and accept the fact that I will shoot 1,000 frames in a tournament to get 30 good ones. One thing I am always aware of is that when a player gets the disc they don't move so I use that moment to pre-focus then shoot bursts as they fake and dodge and try to catch the disc just as it leaves their hands. With long throws it easier to follow the disc - but I keep an eye out for the intended receiver and pivot to them as soon as I see where its going. I shoot a little wide and crop in post. It will definitely increases the keeper count.

Dean

richardd300

Dyserth, UK
4560 posts

#4. "RE: Dusty old D700 - wonder if it will work for sports" | In response to Reply # 3

richardd300 Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2009
Fri 04-May-12 02:33 AM

Shooting Puffins and Gannets from a bobbing trawler in a heavy swell in the Arctic Ocean with a D700 and long lens 2 years ago demonstrated just how good the D700 is for fast action work. I am doubtful that the D800 would have delivered in that instance, although the D7000 would have but with reduced IQ.

If one can get closer the D700 makes a great action camera.

Richard.

Visit my Nikonians gallery

Visit my website www.pixels4u.co.uk
The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing. Einstein

tenorman

US
74 posts

#5. "RE: Dusty old D700 - wonder if it will work for sports" | In response to Reply # 0

tenorman Registered since 06th Oct 2008
Sun 06-May-12 09:36 AM

Nice shots, I've been using my D700 with same set up for my sons' spring flag football games, and it has served me well in the gym during basketball season over the winter. I've been toying with the idea of getting a D4 or D800 but my current set-up works great, I've determined to hold tight with what I've got...and it's the first-release 70-200 VR with mild vignetting at times. I'll be curious to hear how you like your D800, I'm thinking of saving my pennies for the D4 by end of year.

G