Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

card transfer to pc..or mac

venoms

CA
12 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
venoms Silver Member Nikonian since 25th May 2006
Tue 11-Oct-11 01:31 PM

I'm new at getting involved with digital format and learning to transfering pics to a pc. When I do I notice that all the pictures are in duplicate and one of the two pictures slightly different from the other. Originally I deleted the duplcate from each one but it is becoming a pain. Can someone tell me why this is happening? I appreciate your valued input. Joe

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

ajdooley

Waterloo, US
3320 posts

#1. "RE: card transfer to pc..or mac" | In response to Reply # 0

ajdooley Gold Member Nikonian since 25th May 2006
Tue 11-Oct-11 06:17 PM

Check to see what kinds of files you are saving. I suspect you will find file extensions (the three characters to the right of the decimal point) jpg and nef. The .jpg is a Jpeg file and the .Nef is a Nikon Electronic, or Raw file. Look at the files sizes. If one is in the range of 25 mb, that's a Raw file. Many photographers shoot Raw files for the maximum flexibility in post processing. I also shoot a medium Jpeg for quick transmission to a local newspaper.

To confirm what you are saving or recording:
-- Menu
-- Shooting menu (little camera on left)
-- cursor down to Image quality (5th item) If it says Raw+F, you are recording a Raw AND fine, or maximum quality jpeg.
-- To change, cursor to the right and select what you want.

If this doesn't make sense, get the Mastering the D700 Book or Dave Busch's D700 book (I frankly like the latter).

Hope that helps!

Alan
Waterloo, IL, USA
www.proimagingmidamerica.com

venoms

CA
12 posts

#2. "RE: card transfer to pc..or mac" | In response to Reply # 0

venoms Silver Member Nikonian since 24th May 2006
Tue 11-Oct-11 07:23 PM

thanks Alan, I do shoot with my settings in raw+fine. Is that the reason I get a double image when I transfer? By the way the images are outstanding... Joe

ajdooley

Waterloo, US
3320 posts

#3. "RE: card transfer to pc..or mac" | In response to Reply # 2

ajdooley Gold Member Nikonian since 25th May 2006
Tue 11-Oct-11 10:22 PM

Yup. You are recording two files -- one is the RAW NEF that the camera sees and the other is the JPEG it also records with all of the "biases" and other in-camera processes. I record both because I can have a quick accident scene off to the paper via a laptop and process the photo a little later if they want something higher quality. It's not that difficult to get rid of the jpegs before you make a permanent file of the images -- delete every other image or use some sort of management software and batch delete them. I do the former. I also dump any NEFS that are simply "bad."

Alan
Waterloo, IL, USA
www.proimagingmidamerica.com

G