Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
venoms

CA
12 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
venoms Silver Member Nikonian since 25th May 2006
Mon 12-Sep-11 08:41 PM

Hi all, Im new to digital photography. my new D700 will be here tomorrow. I have been shooting with the F6 and an array of AF D lenses. My question is, are DX lenses compatible with the D700? Joe

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Johnr0836

Princeton Junction, US
55 posts

#1. "RE: DX lenses" | In response to Reply # 0

Johnr0836 Basic Member
Mon 12-Sep-11 06:44 PM

Yes the lenses are compatable. The camera will automatically adjust the aspect ratio to "DX".

gkaiseril

Chicago, US
6739 posts

#2. "RE: DX lenses" | In response to Reply # 0

gkaiseril Gold Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005
Mon 12-Sep-11 07:17 PM

The recorded image will be cropped to the DX format dimensions and the file size will be adjusted accordingly.

George
My Nikonian Galleries

jpFoto

US
1114 posts

#3. "RE: DX lenses" | In response to Reply # 0

jpFoto Registered since 25th Jun 2010
Mon 12-Sep-11 07:36 PM | edited Mon 12-Sep-11 07:42 PM by jpFoto

Joe

Although what the two previous posters have said is correct, I don't think that they fully understood the reason for your question. I looked at your profile, and you don't own any DX lenses which is good. You don't want to buy DX lenses for a full frame FX camera like the D700. As they said, you would, for all practical purposes, have to use them in DX crop mode which means that you would only be using the center 40% of your FX sensor and your images would be 5.1 mega-pixels instead of 12.3 mp. DX lenses were designed for DX camera bodies like the D300 and D7000, so don't buy any DX lenses.

Enjoy your D700, it's a great camera, and I am sure that it is going to knock your socks off. As nice of a camera as the F6 is, my bet is that it will be relegated to a shelf in your closet as was my Hasselblad, my F4, and my F100, until I found new homes for them.

jP

Ned_L

Philadelphia, US
8049 posts

#4. "RE: DX lenses" | In response to Reply # 3

Ned_L Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, especially Travel Photography Charter Member
Tue 13-Sep-11 09:15 AM

Exactly JP. It's one thing to continue using existing DX lenses, if one has them for the camera, but it doesn't make sense to me to purchase new ones for it. After all, why turn your FX camera into a DX camera. If you wanted that, you could have saved some cash and gotten the DX in the first place.

All your F6 lenses are FX lenses. They will work great with your new D700. JP is also right that it's a great camera which you'll enjoy using.

Ned
A Nikonians Team Member

-----------------------------
Visit my Travel Photography Blog and my Galleries.

briantilley

Paignton, UK
30235 posts

#5. "RE: DX lenses" | In response to Reply # 4

briantilley Gold Member Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Donor Ribbon awarded for his support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003
Tue 13-Sep-11 09:28 AM

I'm wondering if maybe Joseph is confusing "D" and "DX" lens designations...?

A "D" Nikkor is an AF lens with an aperture ring and a subject distance-supplying CPU. A "DX" lens is designed with a smaller image circle for the smaller DX format sensor. All DX Nikkors have the "D" chip.

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

ajdooley

Waterloo, US
3330 posts

#6. "RE: DX lenses" | In response to Reply # 0

ajdooley Gold Member Nikonian since 25th May 2006
Tue 13-Sep-11 09:56 AM

I used to work for a Navy Admiral in the Pacific and on the front of his desk he had a small hand-lettered sign. It said: "Too many moving parts." What he meant was, life's complicated. But you've skirted the lens issue. You have a splendid assortment of lenses that will work on your FX-sized sensored D700 just as superbly as they did on your F6. When I went digital in 2003, I kept my F5 for more than a year -- just in case I wanted to shoot some Ektachrome. I don't think you'll ever go back to the F6, so get ready to sell it and get more lenses! It is equal in image quality to the products of the F6 and then a lot more! Make sure to get onboard with post processing techniques as quickly as you can. I'd start with something more basic, like Corel Photoshop or PS Elements -- not the full-blown photoshop CS5. You're gonna love the D700 and all it will enable you to do. The transition fom the F6 to the D700, while not seemless, will be fairly easy.

Alan
Waterloo, IL, USA
www.proimagingmidamerica.com

sfs202

Jakarta, ID
7 posts

#7. "RE: DX lenses" | In response to Reply # 0

sfs202 Registered since 05th Sep 2011
Tue 13-Sep-11 01:25 PM

Hi Joe, to answer your Q, yes they're compatible. (but, with some limitations on their performance). Most film camera lens would be suitable for D700 (FX format). DX format camera has smaller sensor that would effect quite a significant crop ratio if using non DX format lens. On the other hand, a DX lenses could only capable to provide about the middle 65% image area of the FX format camera sensor, which is obviously reducing the area of Mega Pixel exposed. My suggestion, use non-DX lenses for your D700. They'll help you maximizing your D700

JosephK

Seattle, WA, US
7074 posts

#8. "RE: This may be the correct answer." | In response to Reply # 5

JosephK Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Nikonian since 17th Apr 2006
Wed 14-Sep-11 11:49 PM

... after rereading the original post...

---------+---------+---------+---------+
Joseph K
Seattle, WA, USA

D200, 17-55mm f/2.8 DX, VR 70-200mm f/2.8 II, 50mm f/1.4 D,
18-70mm f/3.5-4.5 DX, 70-300mm f/4-5.6 ED, D70S

olivierrychner

Boudry, CH
5255 posts

#9. "RE: DX lenses" | In response to Reply # 6

olivierrychner Gold Member  Awarded for his long standing high level of commitment to the Nikonians community and demonstrated excellence in the art and science of photography. Nikonian since 03rd Jan 2005
Thu 15-Sep-11 09:13 AM

(...)
>more lenses! It is equal in image quality to the products of
>the F6 and then a lot more! Make sure to get onboard with
>post processing techniques as quickly as you can. I'd start
>with something more basic, like Corel Photoshop or PS Elements
>-- not the full-blown photoshop CS5
. You're gonna love the
>D700 and all it will enable you to do. The transition fom the
>F6 to the D700, while not seemless, will be fairly easy.

Hi!

Very sound advice you're getting here, but let me add something to the previous entry: get Lightroom! It is not cheap but it's a photographer's tool, not only because it's full of things you can do to your images (conversion, enhancement, an extremely powerful noise reduction...), but it's also a fairly easy to use cataloguing software. And you can be sure you're going to shoot *a lot* with digital, and files are not as easy to sort/file than slides or negatives...

You can also get the latest Elements, and the two can work beautifully together.

Enjoy shooting your D700!

Olivier Rychner

Auta i lomë! And my Nikon's only awaiting daylight...

robsb

San Jose, US
14850 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to send message via AOL IM

#10. "RE: DX lenses" | In response to Reply # 6

robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Donor Ribbon awarded for his enthusiastic and repeated support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2015 Nikonian since 23rd Aug 2006
Thu 15-Sep-11 03:11 PM

Since you are transitioning from film to digital try Nikons CNX2 besides the Adobe products either Light room or Photoshop. It is much cheaper and easier to learn and will read and apply all your camera settings to the RAW images which none of the Adobe products will do. Once you try them all you can decide which you like best.

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

"Nikonians membership - My most important photographic investment, after the
camera"

Retirement is a gift of time - Don't waste it!
Old age is a special gift that very few receive. Be thankful if you get it.

Ned_L

Philadelphia, US
8049 posts

#11. "RE: DX lenses" | In response to Reply # 10

Ned_L Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, especially Travel Photography Charter Member
Fri 16-Sep-11 10:14 AM

While Nikon makes great camera equipment (cameras, lenses, speedlights, etc.) in my personal opinion, over the years, their software hasn't been up to that standard, and the current Capture NX2 is no exception. I just don't think it measures up to most of the lower end products such as Corel Paintshop Pro, or Photoshop Elements. Just my opinion.

Many tout its hallmark of applying the camera's settings to the images. I personally believe that's an overblown attribute of the software. One of the reasons I take photos in RAW is to not apply those settings. To have NX2 apply them is counter to the use of RAW, which is to get the max latitude and adjust the image as desired. You can turn it off, of course.

Photoshop Elements is less expensive than NX2 and learning it, beautifully leads into using either Lightroom or Photoshop itself if the photographer feels the need to go past Elements.

Ned
A Nikonians Team Member

mjhach

Simcoe, CA
611 posts

#12. "RE: DX lenses" | In response to Reply # 6

mjhach Gold Member Nikonian since 17th Dec 2010
Tue 11-Oct-11 09:52 PM

You talk about "getting ready to sell" a film camera as if there is a lineup of people just waiting to get these relics. Just where, beside eBay and Kijiji, can one "get rid of these relics"? I have a 100-300mm Canon FX lens, a 28mm and 50mm and Canonn TL QL body I haven't used since digital came on the scene 8-10 years ago. They are in VGC and were working well when I used them last. It would be great to get some money for them to be able to afford at least the taxes (I'm from Canada, eh?) on some digital glass. Opinions appreciated.

Mike

robsb

San Jose, US
14850 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to send message via AOL IM

#13. "RE: DX lenses" | In response to Reply # 11

robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Donor Ribbon awarded for his enthusiastic and repeated support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2015 Nikonian since 23rd Aug 2006
Tue 11-Oct-11 10:13 PM

Ned there are a number of people in the Nikon SW forum that would disagree with you, me included. Yes Photoshop is powerful and there are many things you cannot do without it. I am a long time user of Photoshop and have CS5 Extended and I pretty much know my way around it with more than 6 years of experience, yet CNX2 is my go to for RAW processing NEF's. Storing a NEF with all the edit steps makes more sense to me than side cars. Yes you can and will change many of those settings in post, but at least you start with how the image looked on the back of your camera and often you need to do nothing more. Also none of the Adobe products can properly handle ADL if you set it in camera. That said, we all have a choice of what we want to use for post and just because Adobe products have been around for ages, it does not mean it is the right choice for everyone, so as a minimum, if you are new to post processing, you should try the trial versions and make your own decision as to what works for you.

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

camera"

Ned_L

Philadelphia, US
8049 posts

#14. "RE: DX lenses" | In response to Reply # 13

Tue 11-Oct-11 11:05 PM

Bob, I was very clear that what I said was my personal opinion. While I stand by that opinion, there is certainly room for more opinions, including ones which are 180 degrees from mine. I don't think there's any final answer here. If there was, we'd all be using one product.

Personally I prefer to leave my NEF files untouched and original for a variety of reasons. All of my edits are in Photoshop layers.

Ned
A Nikonians Team Member

robsb

San Jose, US
14850 posts

#15. "RE: DX lenses" | In response to Reply # 14

Wed 12-Oct-11 03:07 AM

Ned I think we are in violent agreement. Everyone needs to choose what works for him. I store 2 copies of my NEF, one I never touch as a second back up and the one I edit and store all edits in the NEF as it is completely reversable. I too use layers when I am in Photoshop as I want my work to be non distructive, but since CNX2 only saves a list of edit steps, applying those edits to the NEF on output, the files are much smaller than Photoshop files

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

camera"

Ned_L

Philadelphia, US
8049 posts

#16. "RE: DX lenses" | In response to Reply # 15

Wed 12-Oct-11 08:55 AM

Bob, "violent agreements" are what makes the world go 'round. (LOL).

We all have to eventually create the workflow which works best for us as individual photographers, as you said. Take my word for it, that I'll bet I do plenty of other things in my workflow which are completely different than yours. Part of the reason is that it works for me and the way I prefer to go about things, and part of the reason is that as many of my photographs are intended for "press" use I have every photo comply with IPTC standards to make my life easier.

In these forums, what I try to do is not just state what I do, but explain why, so others can understand my opinion, and then make the best decision for themselves based on the multiple opinions offered. Sometimes I don't quite achieve that goal, but I think mostly I do.

Ned
A Nikonians Team Member

robsb

San Jose, US
14850 posts

#17. "RE: DX lenses" | In response to Reply # 16

Wed 12-Oct-11 03:34 PM

" I have every photo comply with IPTC standards "

Ned I am curious as to what the quoted sentence implies. Since I don't understand what it means, I have a chance to learn something from you. Does this mean filling out the boxes in the IPTC section of the EXIF data or are there other technical attributes that the image must comply with?

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

camera"

Ned_L

Philadelphia, US
8049 posts

#18. "RE: DX lenses" | In response to Reply # 17

Wed 12-Oct-11 09:14 PM

Good question Bob.

Sending photos to newspapers, magazines, wire services, online sites like CNN, MSNBC, etc. for news coverage, detailed metadata is required in every photo for their filing, and database systems. I am expected to use a controlled standard vocabulary for keywords and IPTC standards for various metadata entries.

You can find the standards at the International Press Telecommunications Council (IPTC) website.

The whole point of all this is because, as pointed out by IPTC, photographers, film makers, videographers, illustrators, publishers, advertisers, designers, art directors, etc., all share the same basic problem of tracking rapidly expanding collections of digital media assets such as photos and video/film clips.

To be able to carefully track these collection, and ensure they are used properly, including giving proper credit, and have them appropriately displayed such as making sure that in a story about Monte Carlo you don't show a photo of Dubrovnik, the IPTC has created 5 guiding principles for Metadata description.

1. "Metadata is essential to describe, identify and track digital media and should be applied to all media items which are exchanged as files or by other means such as data streams."
  2. "Media file formats should provide the means to embed metadata in ways that can be read and handled by different software systems."
  3. "Metadata fields, their semantics (including labels on the user interface) and values, should not be changed across metadata formats."
  4. "Copyright management information metadata must never be removed from the files."
  5. "Other metadata should only be removed from files by agreement with their copyright holders."

So, as you guessed, in order to conform to the needs of press organizations, I must insert the following metadata in the appropriate IPTC slots and EXIF slots.

• Caption
  • Headline
  • Keywords - must conform to industry standards, and general keywords which are not within the naming of the photo must be within the IPTC controlled vocabulary as both individual terms, and paths to terms.
  • IPTC scene code (controlled - controlled means you must choose the appropriate codes from a list provided by IPTC, where no code may be created by the photographer)
  • IPTC subject code (controlled)
  • Intellectual Genre (generally standardized by the organization receiving the photo, but most use the same terms - I think eventually this will have a code list)
  • Rights Usage Terms (specified by the photographer)
  • Special Instructions if any (specified by the photographer)
  • City, State, Location, Country, Country Code where photograph was taken
  • Date photo was taken
  • Photographer's name
  • Photographer's title, if any
  • Credit - how credit for the photograph is to be displayed as per the copyright holder
  • Source - the source of the photograph
  • Copyright statement
  • URL of copyright holder
  • Contact address of copyright holder (optional - I personally leave this blank as my address is readily available via my website at this time.
  • Contact city, state, zipcode, country (mandatory)
  • Contact email (mandatory)
  • Additional contact URL

As it turns out, these are very helpful to me in photo location if someone asks for a photo of a particular location, scene type etc., as all the info is searchable via my asset management software. I use Expression Media. I do most of the coding in batches when I bring my photos into my computer. It's done via Photo Mechanic. As I edit the photos I choose to use, I add more specific information in the caption and headline, for example, and I might edit some of the "name" keywords too.

Moreover, by having this data in my photos their descriptions are always there long after you forget what they are, plus SmugMug reads the data and automatically names each photo from the data, which is a great time saver. I use SmugMug for my galleries.

I do have some technical attributes to comply with, but these are specified by the organization using my photos. They include size, resolution and file format typically.

I hope this answers your questions.

Ned
A Nikonians Team Member

robsb

San Jose, US
14850 posts

#19. "RE: DX lenses" | In response to Reply # 18

Thu 13-Oct-11 04:57 PM

Ned thanks so much for the very detailed answer. I will look at the link. I do code my images, but have always used my own terminology not standard, but I will look at the data and start using the standards. I certainly can see why you would automate the process as much as possible. I do that with my general data. With my travel photos, I often wish I used as GPS attachment, but I have generally been able to find detail on the web to attach to my photos, as most everything has been photographed before.

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

camera"

Ned_L

Philadelphia, US
8049 posts

#20. "RE: DX lenses" | In response to Reply # 19

Thu 13-Oct-11 10:27 PM

It's my pleasure.

Using standardized terminology is very helpful for anyone, as it helps when you search for photos. If you consistently use the same parameters over and over again, when you search, you won't miss photos in the search which are relevant. Using different kinds of parameters with consistent terminology helps even more.

Using a GPS for any photos, and especially travel photos is extremely helpful. I use a GPS for virtually every photo I take. I highly recommend them, but understand that they are outside the budget of many. There are other methods for helping one keep track of where your photos were made. You might take a look at my article Identifying your travel photos when you return home - Part I which discusses some low-tech methods of identifying photos when you get home from a trip. Part II discusses high-tech methods, and Part III discusses some relevant software.

Ned
A Nikonians Team Member

robsb

San Jose, US
14850 posts

#21. "RE: DX lenses" | In response to Reply # 20

Fri 14-Oct-11 06:45 AM

Ned thanks for the article, much of what is in it I already do. The group I travel with publishes an agenda for each day covering the key areas and sites to be visited that day, but of course does not cover objects of opportunity. I always try to collect maps and brochures where they are available, but I have not written on them which is a good idea, probably I am moving along trying to maximize my shooting time, but I will try to do that more

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

camera"

Ned_L

Philadelphia, US
8049 posts

#22. "RE: DX lenses" | In response to Reply # 21

Fri 14-Oct-11 11:12 AM

I've got another possible idea for you. I've been looking at smartphone apps, most for the iPhone, which is what I use.

I've come across PhotoJot for the iPhone only (Sorry Android users, I haven't found an equivalent app at this point.) for $2.99 which for travelers is really worth it, in my opinion.

Keeping a written journal of one's photos while traveling was always a pain in the neck for me, even though necessary. With PhotoJot I can keep an oral (dictate my note into the iPhone) note, which is much easier and fast to accomplish.

With PhotoJot you can create notes at any location which contains the following information:

• Summary
  • Location (from GPS)
  • Date/Time
  • Text note of any length
  • Reference photos captured from the iPhone camera or library
  • Voice clip (requires external microphone on iPod Touch)
  • Shutter, Aperture, ISO and other related values for film photographers

The big deal with this app is location, date/time, reference photos, and especially the voice clip which is coupled with the location and date/time info.

When you're at a location during the trip/tour, you open the app and start a new "Jot." The date/time is immediately entered into the Jot. You click on location and save the GPS location. You can then take one or more quick iPhone photos, or you can ignore it, while you're snapping away on your real camera. You can always add quick photos to your Jot later as desired. Then, instead of writing down anything while you're touring, you can put in a voice note of where you are. (You can't record multiple voice clips for a Jot. Once you save a clip if you record in the Jot again, it overwrites the existing clip.)

Later on you can type in a short (I just name the location.) description in the summary field to help you use the Jot later on. I never worry about the other data as it's for film photographers as DSLR users have it all in the exif data of their photos.

Between having the GPS location, and the date/time, with a short voice note as to what you're looking at, aligning that with your "real" photos becomes trivial.

Ned
A Nikonians Team Member

spootdad

Portage, US
730 posts

#23. "RE: DX lenses" | In response to Reply # 22

spootdad Registered since 27th Dec 2006
Fri 14-Oct-11 05:27 PM

Evernote (iphone and android and, i think, blackberry) does this too, as does springpad. Both integrate nicely into android: I don't have an iphone so can't comment on ease of use there.
lee
From the rocking of the cradle to the rolling of the hearse, the going up was worth the coming down

robsb

San Jose, US
14850 posts

#24. "RE: DX lenses" | In response to Reply # 22

Fri 14-Oct-11 09:38 PM

I use a Nokia Phone, and will have to see if such an app exists for my phone. My can record voice though. I also have free world wide maps on my that I could use t0 see the GPS coordiantes of where I am. I just never had thought of doing that. I think I need to slow down mon these trips during my free time so I can do some of this.

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

camera"

Ned_L

Philadelphia, US
8049 posts

#25. "RE: DX lenses" | In response to Reply # 23

Fri 14-Oct-11 10:00 PM

I hadn't thought of Evernote for this purpose. That's a great suggestion. It will do the job nicely. I do like the interface of PhotoJot better, but again, Evernote is a wonderful suggestion. I've not tried Springpad to date, but will look at it.

Ned
A Nikonians Team Member

Ned_L

Philadelphia, US
8049 posts

#26. "RE: DX lenses" | In response to Reply # 24

Fri 14-Oct-11 10:05 PM

Another thing I do while traveling is use my iPhone's recorder to record an especially good tour guide when warranted. That can add good detail at times and help keep track of info for captions, etc. Sometimes the guidebooks aren't nearly as good as the guides.

The direction we're going in sounds like this might be a good subject for the travel forum. Maybe I'll start something going and pin it so we can collect suggestions from members for members.

What do you think?

Ned
A Nikonians Team Member

robsb

San Jose, US
14850 posts

#27. "RE: DX lenses" | In response to Reply # 26

Sat 15-Oct-11 05:17 AM

Yes I agree this part of the discussion should be moved to Travel

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

camera"

G