Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

A question of utility.

This topic is locked. This message is locked.
robsb

San Jose, US
14846 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to send message via AOL IM
robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Donor Ribbon awarded for his enthusiastic and repeated support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2015 Nikonian since 23rd Aug 2006
Sat 04-Dec-10 02:28 AM

Before I got my D700 almost 2 years ago, I had a D200 and all the old MF lenses from my F3HP before it. I only bought one DX lens and the rest of the lenses I purchased were FX lenses, so when I decided to buy a D700, I was essentially set and didn't have to go through the agony of getting rid of a bunch of DX lenses. I kept my D200 and 12-24 DX lens thinking I would use them and at least have a ready backup. Well after two years of not using them I put the D200 and the 12-24 up for sale on the Nikonians forum and figuring in the mint condition my stuff was in I tried to price them fairly, considering the cost of shipping and PayPal fees I was absorbing. Well I sold the 12-24 within a week, but my very low actuation (8193 clicks) Mint D200 with all accessories and original box is still for sale at $610. So here is my dilemma, assuming that I won't get my asking price, no matter how fair I think it is, how low do I go before I just say heck this camera is worth more to me as a backup or for use shooting wildlife than the price I can get for it, realizing that my history so far is that I always reach for the D700 and not the D200? This may not be the best place for this post, but since we all are D700 owners and most have moved from a DX camera and either kept the old one or sold it, I figured I would get the best answers here. From a financial standpoint, keeping the camera would not be a hardship, although I had decided to sell the stuff to finance a new 24-120 lens, but it is a matter of utility and what would the market bear. What would you do?

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

"Nikonians membership - My most important photographic investment, after the
camera"

Retirement is a gift of time - Don't waste it!
Old age is a special gift that very few receive. Be thankful if you get it.

bob1217

US
311 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

#1. "RE: A question of utility." | In response to Reply # 0

bob1217 Registered since 31st Jan 2009
Sat 04-Dec-10 02:41 AM

Hey Bob. I just took a really quick look at eBay to see the completed auctions for D200's. Looks like the decent ones with a lens (not just the body) are going for high 400's to high 500's on average. You might be a little high, and even though these copies may have more actuations, people may feel that they are still well within the shutter cycle life. Maybe $600 is a psychological barrier? I'd try dropping down closer to $500 and seeing what happens.

Personally, I think once I dipped bnelow $400 I'd have to question whether the camera is better kept on hand as a backup. I hung onto my D50 and D200 after getting a D300 and D700, and I'm glad I did. They made excellent cameras for my wife as she was getting into photography, and now she's shooting like a pro with my good old D200. I never would have guessed a few years back that she'd ever use it, and when the D50 was holding her back, we were glad she had the D200 to step into. It's still a great camera. Perhaps you have a budding photographer somewhere in your circle of family or friends that might get a lot of utility out of it?

If my D200 was my only backup to my D700, I'm not sure I'd part with it at any price. If anything happened to my D700, I'd have a good camera to fall back on. And sometimes when I go out shooting by myself at night in remote locations, or during the day in NYC, I'm not so comfortable walking around with a D700 and 2 or 3 pro lenses. So for me, the D200 would be worth keeping instead of selling. I'd consider it a sunk cost in good insurance and peace of mind.

Good luck whatever you decide!

Bob

Robp

Gainesville, US
951 posts

#2. "RE: A question of utility." | In response to Reply # 0

Robp Gold Member Nikonian since 23rd Oct 2009
Sat 04-Dec-10 03:02 AM

Bob, I wasn't exactly faced with the same dilemma as yours, but I had a remotely similar set of decisions to address which also included the new 24-120mm lens in the mix.

My granddaughter is interested in photography and has taken a high school course which included the use of Photoshop (she has the student edition now). She graduates next June and her eighteenth birthday and Christmas are upon us, so my wife and I colluded with her parents (they are contributing to the cause). We are going to celebrate all three events at Christmas and give her a used, but pristine, DX format D90 and our FX format 24-85mm Nikkor lens, which will give her a nice 36-128mm zoom capability. We'll get the new "Streetsweeper".

The D200 would make a wonderful present for some special young person in your life and, although you wouldn't directly get cash, the cost of a nice present would be obviated.

Rob Puller
my Nikonians gallery

robsb

San Jose, US
14846 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to send message via AOL IM

#3. "RE: A question of utility." | In response to Reply # 1

robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Donor Ribbon awarded for his enthusiastic and repeated support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2015 Nikonian since 23rd Aug 2006
Sat 04-Dec-10 06:15 AM

Thank you for your thoughtful answer. I had looked at B&H and D200's in the condition mine is in were about $650, but I do know many are being sold for less, so I was considering lowering the price, but after you take out PayPal fees and shipping and insurance, it leaves you with less. For me I am not sure I would sell it near $400. Then for sure I think I would keep it. As you say it is a fine camera and I got many great shots with it. Almost makes me sorry I sold the camera plate.

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

camera"

robsb

San Jose, US
14846 posts

#4. "RE: A question of utility." | In response to Reply # 2

Sat 04-Dec-10 06:18 AM

Rob thank you for your very thoughtful suggestions between you and Bob I have gotten the kind of answers I was looking for. So I think I'll try moving the price a bit, but I will put a floor to which I think I will just keep it or give it to a family member.

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

camera"

jpFoto

US
1114 posts

#5. "RE: A question of utility." | In response to Reply # 4

jpFoto Registered since 25th Jun 2010
Sat 04-Dec-10 07:36 AM

Bob - At the end of the D200 run, which was around April of 2008, Best Buy sold off their remaining inventory of D200 bodies for $500. I thought that that was a great price for such a nice camera, and I had suggested to my son that he buy one. He said that for the same money he would rather have a D5000 because of the more advanced sensor, better metering system and newer technology.

Like you, I had never bought a DX lens, having always had film cameras and figuring that eventually there would be an affordable FX camera. I recently bought a D3100 as my backup and P&S alternative. Although I had said that I would never buy another DX camera, I have to admit that it's a pretty advanced camera for $650 with an 18-55mm DX VR lens included in the deal.

My point, (and I know that you are patiently waiting for it), is that although the D200 was the "cat's meow" back in the day, that it pales in comparison to some of the least expensive DX cameras available today. I sold my last DX body for $450, and I had originally paid $2,300 for it. I see mint D2x's going for $900.00, but once again I wouldn't want a camera that was limited to ASA 400 to get a decent low light photo.

So, I agree with most of the others, either give it to someone who would really appreciate having what was once a "state of the art" piece of equipment, or sell the "antique" that you will never choose to use so long as the D700 is nearby.

Just my $.02.

jP

ajdooley

Waterloo, US
3330 posts

#6. "RE: A question of utility." | In response to Reply # 5

ajdooley Gold Member Nikonian since 25th May 2006
Sat 04-Dec-10 09:28 AM | edited Sun 05-Dec-10 09:34 AM by ajdooley

I too sold my D200 on arrival of the D700. It went to an old friend who was retired and no longer had access to digital equipment he had enjoyed at work. I put what I considered a very fair price on it -- with the box, accessories, an extra battery and a couple of smaller memory cards. He was thrilled. I knew I'd never use it again and am getting another D700 to back up the first one. The capabilities of the D200 that caused you to buy it in the first place have not diminished. It is still a capable camera that will give someone great joy, if nothing else, as an entre into digital photography. My recommendation is to be less concerned with getting the maximum $ for the D200 and more with finding someone who will use and enjoy it. Trust me, you won't pick it up again unless your D700 goes belly up. I kept a pristine F5 for 2 years after buying my D100 and finally realized $350 for it -- about 20% of its cost.

Alan
Waterloo, IL, USA
www.proimagingmidamerica.com

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

quollsteeth

Armidale, AU
3 posts

#7. "RE: A question of utility." | In response to Reply # 2

quollsteeth Gold Member Nikonian since 01st Dec 2010
Sat 04-Dec-10 09:54 AM

Ditto re the D200. Give it to someone who will love it.
And likewise the F3 if still you have it and don't use it. I even bought an near new, pristine, second hand one recently at about 10% its original value. It remains a beautiful instrument. Where better to learn the real meaning of reflected light, than being forced to think light light light, ideally with a manual camera and a hand held light meter. Light is after all the only "thing" ever collected through any lens and that is what one needs to learn to see.
A D200 is perfectly capable of being wonderfully insprational 2D image recorder. What a perfect investment in nurturing someone else's vision of the world through the reflected light that captivates us all.

Bronte

Pickering, UK
128 posts

#8. "RE: A question of utility." | In response to Reply # 0

Bronte Silver Member Nikonian since 26th Aug 2006
Sat 04-Dec-10 10:15 AM

What about getting it converted for IR..? That's what I am planning to do with mine. Many of the leading lights in IR promote the D200 as an ideal candidate. I know it will cost you another $300-$400, but it would give it a new lease of life, and perhaps spark a whole new area of creativity..?

Just a thought..

Bronte
A Nikonian in North Yorkshire

visit my website at www.pcphotographic.co.uk

victoria_photoguy

Victoria, CA
35 posts

#9. "RE: A question of utility." | In response to Reply # 0

victoria_photoguy Registered since 03rd May 2010
Sat 04-Dec-10 01:37 PM

I've faced the same dilemma with a D70s and D200 when I bought the 700. Since I cycle often and travel a bit, the D70s and D200 are my point and shoot for riding, and one is a backup for travel. It's extravagant,but I couldn't get much on a resale and would have good back ups if something happens to the D700. I thought of the conversion to IR,but since I often shoot video or like to be prepared for it, its not likely I would take a camera to shoot IR only. If I found someone who could benefit more from learning with a good basic camera, then I'd let the D70s go and be happy it was going to someone who wanted it. My first SLR was a hand me down. You never know what your needs are in another year or 2 and you may find a way to make use of it, or someone who can't afford to get going on DSLR. The resale is never what we think it would be. Consider a similar comparison of who would buy a 5 year old computer for the price of a new lap top. The times are a changing fast! Good luck.

Drbee

Naperville, US
5927 posts

#10. "RE: A question of utility." | In response to Reply # 0

Drbee Silver Member Nikonian since 05th Aug 2004
Sat 04-Dec-10 02:52 PM

Bob,

Been there, done that ...

I've sold my D200 and 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5 AFS DX kit lens. Someone got a great set. I knew my DX usage would suffer when I got my D700 and it has. I did keep my D2Hs and use it for the niche for which I bought it but it's usage has suffered greatly now that I see what the D700 can actually do.

The D200 is of course capable of making great images especially at the base ISO. It's weakness appear to be many along side the D700, but it's still a very functional camera. A good photographer like yourself can wring every last ounce of performance from the camera and get wow images. That doesn't mean it has much intrinsic value in today's market.

I sold off about 20 items recently and feel quite comfortable about what I recovered from the sale. My price point was set by what I would pay for an item in similar condition without a warranty. I found that to be roughly 70% of the KEH published price on a conservatively rated prior generation item. The rating system for KEH is usually about my rating minus one.

I think of these sales as an estate sale. Something where you are ready for a permanent change and where the price is secondary to the need to move on.

Good luck on your decision.

Roger

esantos

McAllen, US
13240 posts

#11. "RE: A question of utility." | In response to Reply # 0

esantos Moderator Nikonians Resources Writer. Recognized for his outstanding reviews on printers and printing articles. Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas, including Landscape Photography Awarded for his extraordinary accomplishments in Landscape Photography. His work has been exhibited at the Smithsonian. Nikonian since 10th Nov 2002
Sat 04-Dec-10 03:10 PM | edited Sat 04-Dec-10 03:12 PM by esantos

Bob,

This is a dilemma I have faced more than once. It is tough to determine at what (price) point you should just keep it and make room in the closet. Fortunately, when I sold my D200 it was immediately after I got my D300. It sold for ~$900. I just pulled the trigger on the Nikkor 16-35mm VR so that I now have a true wide angle that will accept filters to go with my awesome 14-24mm for my D700. I'm now considering selling my D300 for a D7000 as a back up and to have a body that shoots video so I don't have to always borrow my wife's D5000. Anyway, sorry for rambling here but if I put my D300 on the market I expect that I won't get much over $850 for it. With that being said I think $450 is a reasonable break point for your D200 where you may consider keeping it or handing it down to someone who is just starting out.

Ernesto Santos
esartprints.com Ernesto Santos Photography
Get my new e-Book "Churches of Texas"

jgould2

Fort Pierce, US
4584 posts

#12. "RE: A question of utility." | In response to Reply # 0

jgould2 Gold Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Nikonian since 13th Oct 2007
Sat 04-Dec-10 06:04 PM

Hi Bob.

Many good replies here already. I have the same problem, I find it extremely difficult to leave my D700 (or D3s) at home even when going birding. I just can't seem to part with my D200, D300 and D2x. The D200 I often loan to my sister and to friends when they go shooting with me. The D300 I do use for birding and for shooting surfers when the light is good. I would not be without at least one DX camera. I know I should at least get rid of my D2x but I am still getting used to the D300 and the D2x is so comfortable for me to use.

On landscape only trips I like to carry three cameras each with a different lens so I am ready for anything. Usually my D3s, D700 and D300. I carry two cameras on a double BlackRapid Strap ready to quickly remove and tripod mount, and the third in a small backpack.

For me, the versatility this offers far outweighs the relatively small amount of money I could recover by selling a couple of my bodies.

I even still have my D70 which I keep in my work truck with a couple of lenses. I usually have my D200 in my other truck with an 18-200 lens. I'm always ready to take a shot even when I'm not planning on it.

JIM

jpFoto

US
1114 posts

#13. "RE: A question of utility." | In response to Reply # 0

jpFoto Registered since 25th Jun 2010
Sat 04-Dec-10 09:55 PM

Bob

Don't sell the primitive film camera like the F, FE, FG, etc. The grandchildren will need them for their photo classes. You will save a lot of money in the long run.

jP

robsb

San Jose, US
14846 posts

#14. "RE: A question of utility." | In response to Reply # 5

Sun 05-Dec-10 01:11 AM

JP thanks for your coments, food for thought.

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

camera"

robsb

San Jose, US
14846 posts

#15. "RE: A question of utility." | In response to Reply # 6

Sun 05-Dec-10 01:13 AM

Alan wise comments

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

camera"

robsb

San Jose, US
14846 posts

#16. "RE: A question of utility." | In response to Reply # 7

Sun 05-Dec-10 01:17 AM

Peter I was wise enough to sell the F3HP when I bought the D200, but missed it until I got the D700. I know I have to let go-my wife thiks I should keep it.

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

camera"

robsb

San Jose, US
14846 posts

#17. "RE: A question of utility." | In response to Reply # 8

Sun 05-Dec-10 01:19 AM

John that is something I have considered, but am not sure i would use it enough to make it worthwhile.

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

camera"

robsb

San Jose, US
14846 posts

#18. "RE: A question of utility." | In response to Reply # 9

Sun 05-Dec-10 01:25 AM

It is why given a choice, I always buy glass first. Since my lens sold for the asking price in one week it is clear my camera price is not low enough, so last night i started taking it down. So now my question reaqlly is at what price do I just remove the ad and either give the camera to one of my many grandchildren or just selfishly keep it as my never used backup? I think the answer is much lower than the price is now. If it sells, someone will get a hardly used gem, even if old technology.

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

camera"

robsb

San Jose, US
14846 posts

#19. "RE: A question of utility." | In response to Reply # 10

Sun 05-Dec-10 01:29 AM

Roger thanks for the ideas. I had used B&H used prices and while I priced both camera and lens below the B&H used prices, it is obvious that a 12-24 is in more demand than a D200, so I need to adjust. I kept it originally because I thought i would use it, but obviously as you know, you never reach for the D200 anymore when you have a D700. I have taken what I think are outstanding images with the D200, it was just that i was always shooting at its limits and why i went FX.

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

camera"

robsb

San Jose, US
14846 posts

#20. "RE: A question of utility." | In response to Reply # 11

Sun 05-Dec-10 01:33 AM

Thanks Ernesto, that is sort of where I am hesding. If I sold for $500 paid PayPal fee and and shipping, I would net about $450, so I think I now know my bottom line.

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

camera"

robsb

San Jose, US
14846 posts

#21. "RE: A question of utility." | In response to Reply # 12

Sun 05-Dec-10 01:38 AM

Ha Ha Jim you justy messed with my mind. When I first bought the D700, the hauled both bodies around. I agree that $500 is not a lot of money, and that is why I kept it in the first place. But now i sold the 12-24 my only Dx lens, and i sold the Markins camera plate, so I I still would like to sell the D200 but if the price gets to my lower limit, then I will keep it.

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

camera"

robsb

San Jose, US
14846 posts

#22. "RE: A question of utility." | In response to Reply # 13

Sun 05-Dec-10 01:46 AM

Sorry JP the only film camera in the house now is my Dad's old 35mm RICOH FF3 AF Super rangefinder that he had when he was alive. But I still have many rools of film in the freezer, long outdated, so maybe I will try it out. It has a Rekenon f/3.2 35 mm lens, and a buit in flash and self timer, and even has motor rewind!

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

camera"

jrp

San Pedro Garza GarcĂ­a, MX
38678 posts

#23. "RE: A question of utility." | In response to Reply # 22

jrp Administrator JRP is one of the co-founders, has in-depth knowledge in various areas. Awarded for his contributions for the Resources Charter Member
Sun 05-Dec-10 07:03 AM

Bob,
A quick check at Keh.com shows two D200 in EX condition.
One sells for $625, the other at $569.
So there is your range.

If you take down 10% -as an estimated extra profit to provide a warranty (not sold "as is"), those are your prices.

I use to keep my laptops for my grandchildren.
They now have web notebooks, iPods and iPads.

I always new my film cameras would end up in a Nikonians museum.
My grandchildren want D3100 and D7000 machines now.

Have a great time :-)
JRP (Founder & Administrator. Mainly at the north-eastern Mexican desert) Gallery, Brief Love Story
Please join the Silver, Gold and Platinum members who help this happen; upgrade.
Check our workshops at the Nikonians Academy and the Nikonians Photo Pro Shop

ajdooley

Waterloo, US
3330 posts

#24. "RE: A question of utility." | In response to Reply # 12

ajdooley Gold Member Nikonian since 25th May 2006
Sun 05-Dec-10 09:43 AM

Jim - With cameras in all of your trucks and three more hanging from your body, I think you should next explore having yourself cloned so you can start a photo company and take on muliple jobs at one time! Me? I'm getting too darned old to be in more than one place at a time. I have enough trouble keeping up with the machinations of my D700 too -- let alone shifting between cameras, lenses and other accesories. "You do man" if you can keep all these moving parts sorted and in order!

Alan
Waterloo, IL, USA
www.proimagingmidamerica.com

Rickman

Port Deposit, US
1548 posts

#25. "RE: A question of utility." | In response to Reply # 23

Rickman Gold Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Charter Member
Sun 05-Dec-10 11:43 AM

I held onto mine for a while also but eventually I gave it along with my 50mm f/1.8 and a Tamron SP 28-105 f/2.8 to my daughter. She has made pretty good use of it with her 16 month old son and is to have another son in April so for me it was a good decision.

Rick S
U.S.Army (Ret)
Blessings come from many directions. Make sure you look around.
Prov 3:5, God Bless.

Visit https://images.nikonians.org/galleries/showgallery.php/ppuser/77732/cat/500">my gallery

lpicker

Havre de Grace, US
123 posts

#26. "RE: A question of utility." | In response to Reply # 0

lpicker Silver Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 14th Jan 2009
Sun 05-Dec-10 01:57 PM

Bob:

Lots of good suggestions from Nikonians, as you'd expect! I can't add to those, but only tell you what i do.

I'm a pro nature/landscape and depend on high-quality images to sell. Since I'm a senior, I pack a D700 and D300 and various lenses to keep weight to a minimum. While I primarily use my D700, I depend on my D300, coupled with a telephoto, for tight shots of wildlife. Personally, I would not give up your D200, especially at those low price points.

Les

Nikonians Academy Instructor

Please visit my blog site.

Please visit my image web site.

Winner 2011 Canada Northern Lights Award

robsb

San Jose, US
14846 posts

#27. "RE: A question of utility." | In response to Reply # 23

Sun 05-Dec-10 05:56 PM

Thanks JRP for the info. My camera certainly meets the EX condition.

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

camera"

robsb

San Jose, US
14846 posts

#28. "RE: A question of utility." | In response to Reply # 25

Sun 05-Dec-10 05:58 PM

I am not sure that any of my kids would benefit from the use of this camera, they are more comfortable with small P&S, so is my wife.

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

camera"

robsb

San Jose, US
14846 posts

#29. "RE: A question of utility." | In response to Reply # 26

Sun 05-Dec-10 05:59 PM

Thanks for the input Les

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

camera"

robsb

San Jose, US
14846 posts

#30. "RE: A question of utility." | In response to Reply # 0

Sun 05-Dec-10 06:10 PM

Moderator I think you can close this thread. I want to thank you all for your inputs. I think I now have a good idea as to what I will do. I will continue keep the camera for sale and have now a good bottom price I am willing to sell for. If my march downward to find a price that I can sell at hits my lower limit, I will just keep the camera. I agree with you all that my price was too high, and that there is a point where the camera is worth more to me as a backup or DX alternative than the price I would have to sacrifice to sell it. I already have a few P&S cameras in that category. It clearly enforces the point that it is always better to invest in glass (the 12-24 being the exception as it lost about 1/3 of its value when sold) as all of my lenses are woth more used than I paid for them.

Thank you all for your thoughtful inputs. I knew I would get good answers from this group.

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

camera"

G