Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

What is the spot on OG

azphotomac

Dallas, US
36 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
azphotomac Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Sep 2008
Wed 08-Sep-10 10:06 PM

Hello,

I was taking some photos of a friends pug "OG" recently. One particular photos I like, however theres a spot or something right off OG's eye that I do not know what it is. Can anyone help me with this? Theres a full image in my gallery in case you need it.

D700, 16-35, f4, 1/4 sec

Thank you

Hugh

Click on image to view larger version

Click on image to view larger version

Attachment#1 (jpg file)
Attachment#2 (jpg file)

Thank you,

Hugh

TiggerGTO

Apex, US
2258 posts

#1. "RE: What is the spot on OG" | In response to Reply # 0

TiggerGTO Gold Member Nikonian since 22nd Feb 2006
Thu 09-Sep-10 12:02 AM

It looks like motion blur from the highlight in the dog's eye. If you look at the full picture from your gallery, you can see a ghost image behind the ear. It looks like you used a fairly slow shutter speed and the dog was either turning its head or moving from right to left.

Danny
A Nikonian in North Carolina

azphotomac

Dallas, US
36 posts

#2. "RE: What is the spot on OG" | In response to Reply # 1

Thu 09-Sep-10 12:13 AM

Danny,

Thank you for your reply... now that I have an answer I do see that.

Hugh

Thank you,

Hugh

esantos

McAllen, US
13232 posts

#3. "RE: What is the spot on OG" | In response to Reply # 0

esantos Moderator Nikonians Resources Writer. Recognized for his outstanding reviews on printers and printing articles. Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas, including Landscape Photography Awarded for his extraordinary accomplishments in Landscape Photography. His work has been exhibited at the Smithsonian. Nikonian since 10th Nov 2002
Thu 09-Sep-10 12:09 PM

Yep, that's definitely the problem here, motion blur. When shooting little critters like him try using Shutter priority and set the shutter to at least 1/250 of a second, 1/500 being better. Also practice your Zen and try to anticipate if the pup is just about to move and hold off until he settles down. It's all in the camera settings and timing.

Ernesto Santos
esartprints.com Ernesto Santos Photography
Get my new e-Book "Churches of Texas"

azphotomac

Dallas, US
36 posts

#4. "RE: What is the spot on OG" | In response to Reply # 3

Sun 12-Sep-10 06:21 PM

Ernesto,

I will try that this afternoon and see what kind of results I get. Thanks for your input... I came from a camera phone to a D700 so I have a bit of a learning curve ahead of me.

Hugh

Thank you,

Hugh

G