Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Change to D700/ it’s replacement or D3, Nikonians thoughts

seanmor

Kilmarnock, UK
75 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
seanmor Registered since 06th Oct 2007
Wed 03-Feb-10 03:04 PM

HI,looking for my fellow Nikonians thoughts on a dilemma that I have.
I recently had a bout of NAS and sold my Nikon DX kit consisting of my D300, AF-S DX 12-24mm F4 wide angle lens, AF-S 18-200mm DX VR lens, SB 800 Speed light,
My thoughts at the time were of change to the D700 FX body and with that in mind I held on to the only FX lens that I had at the time the AF-S 70-300mm VR, I also had a AF-S 24-70mm F2.8 Lens but sold it last year something that I now regret.
So my problem is do I buy a D700, or wait for its replacement the D????x,s, what ever it is, or I could also buy the D3.
I am an amateur photographer who enjoys shouting various subjects from landscape, people and travel to sports
Any thoughts or suggestions that you may all have would be most welcome.

Seanmor
Scottish Nikonian

MEMcD

US
31305 posts

#1. "RE: Change to D700/ it’s replacement or D3, Nikonians thoughts" | In response to Reply # 0

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007
Wed 03-Feb-10 02:40 PM

Hi John,

A few things to think about:
How long are you willing to wait before you start shooting again?
A replacement (D700S) or possibly a new model (D700X) to supplement the D700 may be introduced tomorrow or in six months. Only Nikon knows for sure.
Do you need the additional features of the D3?
If you purchase a D3 will you still be able to get good Glass to go with it (14-24mm, 17-35mm, 24-70mm, 70-200mm)?
Are you planning on adding an SB-900?
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

Asgard

East Frisia, DE
60208 posts

#2. "RE: Change to D700/ it’s replacement or D3, Nikonians thoughts" | In response to Reply # 0

Asgard Administrator He is your Chief Guardian Angel at the Helpdesk and knows a lot about a lot Nikonian since 07th Apr 2004
Wed 03-Feb-10 03:46 PM

Hi John,

I would go now for the D700 + 24-70 instead of a D3.

Gerold - Nikonian in East Frisia
Eala Freya Fresena

AminT3

US
13 posts

#3. "RE: Change to D700/ it’s replacement or D3, Nikonians thoughts" | In response to Reply # 0

AminT3 Registered since 13th Oct 2009
Wed 03-Feb-10 04:57 PM

I would get the D700 and use the extra $$ to buy some lenses which will hold their value much better. At a little over $2k, the D700 is a bargain for such a camera !

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

seanmor

Kilmarnock, UK
75 posts

#4. "RE: Change to D700/ it’s replacement or D3, Nikonians thoughts" | In response to Reply # 1

Wed 03-Feb-10 05:04 PM

Hi Marty,

You have made some good points here

<How long are you willing to wait before you start shooting again>

This was my main concern about waiting on a replacement to the D700, although I do have a Canon G10 that I use for the more casual photo moments

<Do you need the additional features of the D3?>

If‘im truthful with my self no I probably don’t need that level of camera, and if I bought one I would have to compromise on the quality of the lenses that I would be able to afford for it.

Are you planning on adding an SB-900?

I sold my SB800 flash as I’m not guilty of using flash preferring to shoot in natural light conditions where possible, thought I might get away without one due to the low level capabilities of the the D700.

Thank you your thoughts

Cheers John

seanmor

Kilmarnock, UK
75 posts

#5. "RE: Change to D700/ it’s replacement or D3, Nikonians thoughts" | In response to Reply # 2

Wed 03-Feb-10 05:31 PM

Hi Gerold,

I think that I’m starting to lean in that direction to go for the D700 but not sure as to lenses to get for it, as I said I had the AF-S 24-70mm f2.8 but sold it on it was a superb lens but I found it a bit on the heavy side for me, would you have any other lens suggestions that I should consider.

I was not sure that I should dive in until I saw what the specs of D700 replacement might be like,
but as Marty has pointed out I might have to wait some time for that,

But if the upgrade of the D300 to the D300s is anything to go by adding Video capabilities is not one of the features that I would be interested in, and I don’t see what more they could do to make it a more capable camera imho than the D700 is at the moment.

Thank you for your thoughts

Cheers John.

MEMcD

US
31305 posts

#6. "RE: Change to D700/ it’s replacement or D3, Nikonians thoughts" | In response to Reply # 5

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007
Wed 03-Feb-10 05:57 PM

Hi John,

If you want a fast zoom, a used Nikkor AF 35-70mm f/2.8D is a smaller, lighter, and much less expensive option. Though not as good or wide as the 24-70mm it will provide excellent IQ on a D700.

Best Regards,
Marty

seanmor

Kilmarnock, UK
75 posts

#7. "RE: Change to D700/ it’s replacement or D3, Nikonians thoughts" | In response to Reply # 3

Wed 03-Feb-10 06:20 PM

Hi,

It’s looking more like I will go for the D700 as I could hold off for its replacement and not like what I see.

And as you say “use the extra $$ to buy some lenses which will hold their value much better”. At the moment a new D700 is approx., £1650.00 here in the UK

I still have the Nikkor AF-S 70-300mm /4.5-5.6 G ED VR lens so at least ill have a lens to get me started,
I know that it’s not pro level glass but I’ve had some good images with it on my previous D200/D300, Body’s
And I’ve also read in some reviews that it performs not to bad on the D700 body.

Would you have any lens suggestions that I should consider for the D700?,
say from wide angle to mid range.

The last lens combination I had with the D300 was 12-24mm f4 DX, 18-200mm VR & 70-300mm VR this covered most of the subjects that I took

As I said in my other posts I had the Nikkor AF-S 24-70mm f2.8 which I sold last year as I found it a bit too heavy to lug about, although I wish I still had it now!

Cheers John

wmcy

Charlotte, US
977 posts

#8. "RE: Change to D700/ it’s replacement or D3, Nikonians thoughts" | In response to Reply # 5

wmcy Gold Member Nikonian since 20th Aug 2006
Wed 03-Feb-10 06:23 PM

>Hi Gerold,
>
>I think that I’m starting to lean in that direction to go for
>the D700 but not sure as to lenses to get for it, as I said I
>had the AF-S 24-70mm f2.8 but sold it on it was a superb lens
>but I found it a bit on the heavy side for me, would you have
>any other lens suggestions that I should consider.
>
>I was not sure that I should dive in until I saw what the
>specs of D700 replacement might be like,
>but as Marty has pointed out I might have to wait some time
>for that,
>
>But if the upgrade of the D300 to the D300s is anything to go
>by adding Video capabilities is not one of the features that I
>would be interested in, and I don’t see what more they could
>do to make it a more capable camera imho than the D700 is at
>the moment.
>
>Thank you for your thoughts
>
>Cheers John.
>
>
>John,

The newer Sigma 24-70 f2/8 HSM should be considered. It's about half the cost of the Nikkor counterpart, I find it to be a great lens on my D700. I had the Nikon and also found it to be a bit large and heavy, although a great performer.

Here is the B&H listing:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/596258-REG/Sigma_571306_24_70mm_f_2_8_IF_EX.html#accessories./BI/4775/KBID/5289/

Check it out. It's well worth a look.

Wm.

seanmor

Kilmarnock, UK
75 posts

#9. "RE: Change to D700/ it’s replacement or D3, Nikonians thoughts" | In response to Reply # 8

Wed 03-Feb-10 07:12 PM

The newer Sigma 24-70 f2/8 HSM should be considered. It's about half the cost of the Nikkor counterpart; I find it to be a great lens on my D700. I had the Nikon and also found it to be a bit large and heavy, although a great performer.

Hi Gerold,

That’s one of the lenses that I had looked at as a possible alternative to the Nikon AF-S 24-70mm f2.8
It gets very good reviews in the lens test that I’ve read, and it’s also much more compact a lens than the Nikkor and a fair bit lighter as well. Although the front element is whopping 82mm Dia that will be expensive for a circular polarizer filter
I think you fair a bit better price wise in the US at $899.00 = (£565.00),
Than we do over here in the UK where it’s £625.00 = ($994.00) but it can go as high as £789.00 = ($1,254.00)

Cheers John

Donald Kahn

US
266 posts

#10. "RE: Change to D700/ it’s replacement or D3, Nikonians thoughts" | In response to Reply # 0

Donald Kahn Registered since 16th May 2009
Wed 03-Feb-10 07:15 PM

Hi John

Another thing to consider is that if you were going to wait for the D700 replacement that it will probably not be discounted for a while. I would think that it would be priced at $3,000 or more just like the D700 was when it was introduced. The current price at B&H is $2,395 including shipping. You'll have to do the math for the currency conversion, but that's $600 that you could put toward a nice lens.

Don

seanmor

Kilmarnock, UK
75 posts

#11. "RE: Change to D700/ it’s replacement or D3, Nikonians thoughts" | In response to Reply # 6

Wed 03-Feb-10 07:47 PM

Hi Marty,

Yes that’s also a good alternative to the AF-S 24-70mm f2.8 but as you say it’s not as wide but still worthy of consideration and I could add an other lens in there that would give me some more width at the 35mm end
Say the Nikkor AF-D 20-35mm f2.8 would have to be used as I don’t think you get them new now.

Gerold suggested the Sigma 24-70mm f2.8 EX DG HSM as another alternative to the Nikkor that looks good too gets a lot of good reviews.

Cheers John.

seanmor

Kilmarnock, UK
75 posts

#12. "RE: Change to D700/ it’s replacement or D3, Nikonians thoughts" | In response to Reply # 10

Wed 03-Feb-10 08:21 PM

>Hi John
>
>Another thing to consider is that if you were going to wait
>for the D700 replacement that it will probably not be
>discounted for a while. I would think that it would be priced
>at $3,000 or more just like the D700 was when it was
>introduced. The current price at B&H is $2,395 including
>shipping. You'll have to do the math for the currency
>conversion, but that's $600 that you could put toward a nice
>lens.
>
>Don

Hi Don,

Yes you are probably correct in that one; I would doubt if it would be discounted for quit some time to come,

The price you quote for the D700 from B&H is excellent at $2,395.00 +delivery, in the UK that would be =£1.507.00 GBP.

The best price and delivery that I can find here in the UK is from Camerabox.co.uk at £1,649.99 that’s =$2,621.91 USD

So it looks like I will be going for the D700 and using the saved cash to buy some better glass.

Cheers John

MEMcD

US
31305 posts

#13. "RE: Change to D700/ it’s replacement or D3, Nikonians thoughts" | In response to Reply # 12

Wed 03-Feb-10 08:48 PM

Hi John,

You might want to read the following thread from the D300 forum regarding Camerabox: https://www.nikonians.org/forums/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=149&topic_id=167964&mesg_id=167964&page=
Know your retailer!

Best Regards,
Marty

seanmor

Kilmarnock, UK
75 posts

#14. "RE: Change to D700/ it’s replacement or D3, Nikonians thoughts" | In response to Reply # 13

Wed 03-Feb-10 09:42 PM

>Hi John,
>
>You might want to read the following thread from the D300
>forum regarding Camerabox:
>https://www.nikonians.org/forums/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=149&topic_id=167964&mesg_id=167964&page=
>Know your retailer!
>Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

HI Marty,

Thank you for the information regarding Camera box, I had a read through the posts that you provided and it sure makes for some hair raising reading. I’m sure glade that im a member of Nikonians to have access to so much knowledge is very reassuring thank you for your information you have been most helpful,

Kind regards John

ctadin

St Louis, US
1359 posts

#15. "RE: Change to D700/ it’s replacement or D3, Nikonians thoughts" | In response to Reply # 14

ctadin Gold Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2008
Thu 04-Feb-10 11:22 AM

John,
I have the Tamron 28-75mm 2.8 lens for my Nikon D700 camera body and am quite happy with it, quite sharp, weighs around 18 oz, and it's also alot more affordable, around $500, compared to Nikon's glass.
Best of luck!

Cheryl

seanmor

Kilmarnock, UK
75 posts

#16. "RE: Change to D700/ it’s replacement or D3, Nikonians thoughts" | In response to Reply # 15

Thu 04-Feb-10 12:32 PM

>John,
>I have the Tamron 28-75mm 2.8 lens for my Nikon D700 camera
>body and am quite happy with it, quite sharp, weighs around 18
>oz, and it's also alot more affordable, around $500, compared
>to Nikon's glass.
>Best of luck!
>
Hi Cheryl,

Ill certainly have a look at the Tamron 28-75mm f2.8 lens as a possible alterative to the Nikon & Sigma versions,
I’ve had a couple of Tamron lenses in the past when I used film, and both performed well giving good IQ imo.

Cheers John,

ssmumich00

US
429 posts

#17. "RE: Change to D700/ it’s replacement or D3, Nikonians thoughts" | In response to Reply # 16

ssmumich00 Registered since 20th Mar 2009
Thu 04-Feb-10 01:32 PM

Like Marty suggested above, the 35-70 2.8 (newer version with AF-D) is pretty sharp, and honestly, except for far reaches of the corner, you would be hard pressed to tell the difference between that and a 24-70 2.8. . .

the reason I have it is because it's built like a tank, SUPER light, and though not AS wide as a 24-70, when you consider the price used ($350-500) you could STILL get a 24 2.8 new ($350) and be at 50% less than the 24-70. . .

I have the 24 2.8 and 35-70 2.8 for my film camera, and if/when I switch from DX, likely to use them on the D700. . .I think the D700 is the wiser choice. . .

seanmor

Kilmarnock, UK
75 posts

#18. "RE: Change to D700/ it’s replacement or D3, Nikonians thoughts" | In response to Reply # 17

Thu 04-Feb-10 03:39 PM

>Like Marty suggested above, the 35-70 2.8 (newer version with
>AF-D) is pretty sharp, and honestly, except for far reaches of
>the corner, you would be hard pressed to tell the difference
>between that and a 24-70 2.8. . .
>
>the reason I have it is because it's built like a tank, SUPER
>light, and though not AS wide as a 24-70, when you consider
>the price used ($350-500) you could STILL get a 24 2.8 new
>($350) and be at 50% less than the 24-70. . .
>
>I have the 24 2.8 and 35-70 2.8 for my film camera, and
>if/when I switch from DX, likely to use them on the D700. . .I
>think the D700 is the wiser choice. . .

Hi,

Yes I will consider the 35-70mm f2.8-D Nikkor as Marty and yourself have suggested,
I’ve been actively looking to see what lenses are available on the used market at the moment and what I would expect to pay; I would rather buy new Lenses if I could but their way out of my price range at the moment
But I will be buying new if it’s the D700 that I go for.

Cheers John

MEMcD

US
31305 posts

#19. "RE: Change to D700/ it’s replacement or D3, Nikonians thoughts" | In response to Reply # 18

Thu 04-Feb-10 04:18 PM

Hi John,

The other lens in that range is the 28-70mm f/2.8D ED IF AF-S which is newer and optically slightly better than the 35-70mm but as "The Beast" nickname implies it is not light. It is a little shorter than the 24-70mm but larger in diameter and slightly heavier as well.
Used prices are between the 24-70mm and the 35-70mm.

Best Regards,
Marty

seanmor

Kilmarnock, UK
75 posts

#20. "RE: Change to D700/ it’s replacement or D3, Nikonians thoughts" | In response to Reply # 19

Thu 04-Feb-10 06:05 PM

>Hi John,
>
>The other lens in that range is the 28-70mm f/2.8D ED IF AF-S
>which is newer and optically slightly better than the 35-70mm
>but as "The Beast" nickname implies it is not light.
> It is a little shorter than the 24-70mm but larger in
>diameter and slightly heavier as well.
>Used prices are between the 24-70mm and the 35-70mm.
>Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Hi Marty,

As you say the 28-70mm f2.8D is well named “the Beast” for good reason as it sure must be heavy to walk about with, and weight was the main reason that I sold on the AF-S 24-70mm f2.8 lens that I had.

I was given an other alternative to consider as a mid range lens by a photographic friend to-day, and that was to buy a AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D prim lens and zoom using my feet, he has one that he uses whenever possible
And it works in most situations, and is tack sharp at all focal lengths and great in low light situations when flash is not an option, and then later on if I still feel the need for a 24-70mm zoom lens get one when finances are better.

Cheers John

Donald Kahn

US
266 posts

#21. "RE: Change to D700/ it’s replacement or D3, Nikonians thoughts" | In response to Reply # 20

Donald Kahn Registered since 16th May 2009
Thu 04-Feb-10 08:02 PM

Hi John

Two other lenses that you may want to consider are a new 24-85 or a used 28-105. There have been a number of recent threads on this forum about "walk around lenses" for the D700 that you may want to read through. I have the 28-105 left over from my film days, and it's really a sharp, light lens. I think that a nice one can be had for between $150 and $250. I've never owned the 24-85, but a number of fellow Nikonians have said good things about it. I saw it at B&H for $700.

Don

seanmor

Kilmarnock, UK
75 posts

#22. "RE: Change to D700/ it’s replacement or D3, Nikonians thoughts" | In response to Reply # 21

Thu 04-Feb-10 08:50 PM

>Hi John
>
>Two other lenses that you may want to consider are a new 24-85
>or a used 28-105. There have been a number of recent threads
>on this forum about "walk around lenses" for the
>D700 that you may want to read through. I have the 28-105
>left over from my film days, and it's really a sharp, light
>lens. I think that a nice one can be had for between $150 and
>$250. I've never owned the 24-85, but a number of fellow
>Nikonians have said good things about it. I saw it at B&H
>for $700.
>
>Don

Hi Don,

I’ll have a look on this forum and also over on the Nikkor Autofocus Lens forums to get more info on the lenses.

Cheers John

MomEngineer

US
7 posts

#23. "RE: Change to D700/ it’s replacement or D3, Nikonians thoughts" | In response to Reply # 0

MomEngineer Registered since 12th Jan 2010
Fri 05-Feb-10 05:53 AM

>HI,looking for my fellow Nikonians thoughts on a dilemma that
>I have.
>I recently had a bout of NAS and sold my Nikon DX kit
>consisting of my D300, AF-S DX 12-24mm F4 wide angle lens,
>AF-S 18-200mm DX VR lens, SB 800 Speed light,
>My thoughts at the time were of change to the D700 FX body and
>with that in mind I held on to the only FX lens that I had at
>the time the AF-S 70-300mm VR, I also had a AF-S 24-70mm F2.8
>Lens but sold it last year something that I now regret.
>So my problem is do I buy a D700, or wait for its replacement
>the D????x,s, what ever it is, or I could also buy the D3.
>I am an amateur photographer who enjoys shouting various
>subjects from landscape, people and travel to sports
>Any thoughts or suggestions that you may all have would be
>most welcome.
>
>Seanmor
>Scottish Nikonian
>

Hi,

I am a little late to the thread, so I am sure my thoughts might be repetitive.

I agree with one of the other posts - How long do you want to wait to get back to taking photos?

I switched to the Nikon D700 about a week ago. I absolutely love the camera - for the price and the FX capability, you can't find a better DSLR. Who knows when Nikon will announce the D700's "replacement". The D3 is obviously an excellent camera, but twice the price and a bit hefty. But some folks like the D3 because of it's balance. If the funds are no issue, then by all means, I would do the D3. However, you could also pick up the D700 and the Nikon 24 - 70mm f2.8 and probably have some money to spare. I rented this combination before I made the switch and it is a sweet combo. The 24 - 70mm is heavy, though, but beautiful, sharp pictures - difficult to distinguish from a prime lens. Currently, I do not own that lens, but have it on my wish list.

Just a few of my thoughts - Good luck with whatever you choose to do.

Happy Shooting,
Pam
>

seanmor

Kilmarnock, UK
75 posts

#24. "RE: Change to D700/ it’s replacement or D3, Nikonians thoughts" | In response to Reply # 23

Fri 05-Feb-10 09:13 AM

>
>I am a little late to the thread, so I am sure my thoughts
>might be repetitive.
>
>I agree with one of the other posts - How long do you want to
>wait to get back to taking photos?
>
>I switched to the Nikon D700 about a week ago. I absolutely
>love the camera - for the price and the FX capability, you
>can't find a better DSLR. Who knows when Nikon will announce
>the D700's "replacement". The D3 is obviously an
>excellent camera, but twice the price and a bit hefty. But
>some folks like the D3 because of it's balance. If the funds
>are no issue, then by all means, I would do the D3. However,
>you could also pick up the D700 and the Nikon 24 - 70mm f2.8
>and probably have some money to spare. I rented this
>combination before I made the switch and it is a sweet combo.
>The 24 - 70mm is heavy, though, but beautiful, sharp pictures
>- difficult to distinguish from a prime lens. Currently, I do
>not own that lens, but have it on my wish list.
>
>Just a few of my thoughts - Good luck with whatever you choose
>to do.
>
>Happy Shooting,
>Pam
>>
>

Hi Pam,

The my main reason for holding off getting the D700 now was that I received an e-mail on up and coming events from Nikon, and one of these being the (NIKON ON IMAGING) event being held at the NEC exhibition centre here in the UK on the 7th – 10th March, the following is an extract from that e-mail.

“See Nikon's latest range of products at Europe's biggest annual imaging show at the NEC on March 7 10.
We'll be demonstrating our new cameras, lenses and accessories at stand D40, with technical experts on hand to answer you’re imaging queries. Free seminars hosted by imaging and industry experts will be running throughout each day”

So my first thoughts were are they due to make an announcement regarding an update or replacement to the D700, as they have done with the D3 since it’s introduction with the X & S enhancements, and may also announce some new FX lenses that are long overdue IMHO, and with that in mind I was going to hold off making any decisions as I was curious to see what they may come up with.

But having said that I don’t have limitless funds and I may not be moved by any enhancements that they make,
And having had the D200 then the D300 I decided to skip the D300s as adding video was not something that I would have been interested in having on my next DSLR any way

I would have all ready bought the D700 as I agree that you can’t find a better DSLR for price and FX capability at the moment IMHO, but if it can be improved I’m sure that Nikon will do it be it only a minor change, as I’m sure that a number of owners out there now could think of some.

I very much appreciate you taking the time to post and welcome your thoughts.

Happy shooting with the new camera

Cheers John

brooksfarm pa

Philadelphia vicinity, US
583 posts

#25. "RE: Change to D700/ it’s replacement or D3, Nikonians thoughts" | In response to Reply # 7

brooksfarm pa Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Apr 2002
Fri 05-Feb-10 12:17 PM

John, you probably want to think only FX lenses for the D700 to maximize the camera's awesome capabilities. I've kept my D200 with 18-200 DX lens, but unloaded all other DX lenses when I made the D700 my main camera. Happily, I had a few FX lenses and bought others, some new and some (out of production) used.

Depending upon my needs of the moment, I carry differing combinations of lenses with the D700. For general walking around or for a day's work (like today) that will present various kinds of shooting, I bought a used Nikon 28-200 (not great but versatile); and I back it up with Nikon 17-35 f/2.8. For portraits, I primarily use the Nikon 105 macro VR f/2.8 on the D700 and backup with the 50 f/1.8 on the D200, and so on. I also have the old (bought used) Nikon 28-70 and 80-200, which on days when they don't seem too heavy, are a dynamite combination.

Good luck with your choices and decisions. For me, stretching my budget to buy the D700 and lenses, while keeping the D200, was a great decision that I've never regretted.

Dennis

seanmor

Kilmarnock, UK
75 posts

#26. "RE: Change to D700/ it’s replacement or D3, Nikonians thoughts" | In response to Reply # 25

Fri 05-Feb-10 02:19 PM

>John, you probably want to think only FX lenses for the D700
>to maximize the camera's awesome capabilities. I've kept my
>D200 with 18-200 DX lens, but unloaded all other DX lenses
>when I made the D700 my main camera. Happily, I had a few FX
>lenses and bought others, some new and some (out of
>production) used.
>
>Depending upon my needs of the moment, I carry differing
>combinations of lenses with the D700. For general walking
>around or for a day's work (like today) that will present
>various kinds of shooting, I bought a used Nikon 28-200 (not
>great but versatile); and I back it up with Nikon 17-35 f/2.8.
>For portraits, I primarily use the Nikon 105 macro VR f/2.8 on
>the D700 and backup with the 50 f/1.8 on the D200, and so on.
>I also have the old (bought used) Nikon 28-70 and 80-200,
>which on days when they don't seem too heavy, are a dynamite
>combination.
>Good luck with your choices and decisions. For me, stretching
>my budget to buy the D700 and lenses, while keeping the D200,
>was a great decision that I've never regretted.
>
>Dennis

Hi Dennis,

As you say I will only be looking to get FX lenses from here on as I sold off my D300 and DX lenses, I would have been more than happy if I could have held on to them but as this is my hobby and I don’t earn any income from it they had to go.

I still have the AF-S 70-300mm VR lens that should be ok for the FX body and I was looking at the AF 50mm f/1.8-D lens and something in the wide to mid range lenses, and over time add to my kit as I go along.

One of my photographic friends how shoots with the D300 and uses DX lenses has a number of Nikkor lenses left over from his 35mm film days, and as he no longer uses them said that we could talk a deal if I wanted to buy them of him the lenses that he has are the following ones,

Nikkor AF 50mm f/1.8 D,
Nikkor AF 28mm f/2.8 D,
Nikkor AF 70-210mm f/4-5.6 D,
Nikkor AF 105mm f2.8 D Micro (Macro),

All of the above lenses are in superb condition with not a mark on them anywhere only thing I’m not sure of is how much to offer for them,so i’ve been looking on the net to see if I could get an indication of what the going prices would be ?

One of the DX lenses that I sold was the AF-S 18-200mm VR, and although not a Pro level lens it was a great walk about lens to have when you did not want to carry to much glass about with you. I really wish Nikon had that lens for the D700.

Cheers John,

brooksfarm pa

Philadelphia vicinity, US
583 posts

#27. "RE: Change to D700/ it’s replacement or D3, Nikonians thoughts" | In response to Reply # 26

brooksfarm pa Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Apr 2002
Fri 05-Feb-10 08:56 PM

John, of the lenses you mention, I'm familiar with the 50mm and 105mm.
I still have the 50, shot with and liked the 105, and now have the new 105 VR, which I think is somewhat controversial. I like all three and can't imagine ever letting the 50mm f/1.8 go, unless it was for the 50mm f/1.4 (but that's not likely right now).

But I am seriously considering selling my 28-70 f/2.8 and replacing it with the 35-70 f/2.8, which I would match with my 17-35 f/2.8.

Hanging out on Nikonians today for the first time in quite a while, reading this thread and others got me thinking about how I shoot, and what is really comfortable in my hand.

So, I started the ball rolling with KEH a few hours ago about selling one lens and buying the other.

We'll see.

For me, the constant is that I expect to keep the D700 for a long, long time, and will probably also continue to hold (and sometimes use) the D200.

Again, best wishes with your shooting, your choices, and your purchases.

Dennis

MEMcD

US
31305 posts

#28. "RE: Change to D700/ it’s replacement or D3, Nikonians thoughts" | In response to Reply # 27

Fri 05-Feb-10 09:21 PM

Hi Dennis,

>But I am seriously considering selling my 28-70 f/2.8 and
>replacing it with the 35-70 f/2.8, which I would match with my
>17-35 f/2.8.

?

Both the 28-70mm f/2.8D ED IF AF-S and the 17-35mm f/2.8D ED IF AF-S are the same generation (of Three Kings) and and a perfect match.
The AF 35-70mm f/2.8D is a generation older and a perfect match for the AF 20-35mm f/2.8D!
The 35-70mm is an excellent lens but the 28-70mm is even better though heavier as well. The AF-S provides faster AF speed as well.

Best Regards,
Marty

seanmor

Kilmarnock, UK
75 posts

#29. "RE: Change to D700/ it’s replacement or D3, Nikonians thoughts" | In response to Reply # 27

Fri 05-Feb-10 10:14 PM

>John, of the lenses you mention, I'm familiar with the 50mm
>and 105mm.
>I still have the 50, shot with and liked the 105, and now have
>the new 105 VR, which I think is somewhat controversial. I
>like all three and can't imagine ever letting the 50mm f/1.8
>go, unless it was for the 50mm f/1.4 (but that's not likely
>right now).
>
>But I am seriously considering selling my 28-70 f/2.8 and
>replacing it with the 35-70 f/2.8, which I would match with my
>17-35 f/2.8.
>
>Hanging out on Nikonians today for the first time in quite a
>while, reading this thread and others got me thinking about
>how I shoot, and what is really comfortable in my hand.
>
>So, I started the ball rolling with KEH a few hours ago about
>selling one lens and buying the other.
>
>We'll see.
>
>For me, the constant is that I expect to keep the D700 for a
>long, long time, and will probably also continue to hold (and
>sometimes use) the D200.
>
>Again, best wishes with your shooting, your choices, and your
>purchases.
>
>Dennis

Hi Dennis

Much like your self I’m at a point where I need to start looking at just where I’m going with my photography regarding what kit I should have or for that matter what I shouldn’t have.

At my last change of camera I went from the D200 to the D300 that was not to big a change as I already had the lenses that suited, so really the only outlay was for the new Body, and all though I did think about going to the D700 at the time I talked my self out of going that way due to the extra expense that would have meant as I would have to get the new glass to go with it.
On reflection maybe I should have bit the bullet and just got the D700, at that time I would have been able to purchase a D700 then for approx., £1400.00 or ($2,191.00) USD, as Nikon had not yet increased their prices,

And much the same as you are doing I need to look at how and what I shoot and get the correct lenses that will hopefully cover most of the subjects that I shoot.

Ill defiantly go for the AF 50mm f1.8/1.4 as a starting point but from there on I’m not sure at this time what other lenses to go for.

Best regards John

RRRoger

Monterey Bay, US
3373 posts

#30. "RE: Change to D700/ it’s replacement or D3, Nikonians thoughts" | In response to Reply # 24

RRRoger Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his long history of demonstrated excellence and helping other members with equipment, technique and DSLR video in the true Nikonians spirit. Charter Member
Sat 06-Feb-10 01:32 PM

I would wait till after PMA or get a D3s now.

The D700s announcement is imminent but may not come untill fall.
Double the high ISO would be more than worth waiting a couple weeks.
And, there will be a fire sale on used D700 bodies at that time if you want save a lot of money and Auto ISO 6400 is good enough.

seanmor

Kilmarnock, UK
75 posts

#31. "RE: Change to D700/ it’s replacement or D3, Nikonians thoughts" | In response to Reply # 30

Sat 06-Feb-10 03:25 PM

>I would wait till after PMA or get a D3s now.
>
>The D700s announcement is imminent but may not come untill
>fall.
>Double the high ISO would be more than worth waiting a couple
>weeks.
>And, there will be a fire sale on used D700 bodies at that
>time if you want save a lot of money and Auto ISO 6400 is good
>enough.

Hi Roger,

That’s just what I was thinking that it would be worth holding off for just a few weeks to see if Nikon did announce any changes to their current line up.

That way I would be in a better position to make a decisions as to which way to go,
Do I go with the D700 which IMHO is a fantastic full frame DSLR or if they do announce a new model then dependent on its pricing and specifications would it be the one to go for.

But I don’t want to commit right now until at least after that event has passed.
In the mean time I need to work out which lenses to go for in the wide to medium range,
Be it Nikon or one of the third party lens manufacturers like Sigma, Tamron, Tokina etc.,
I still have my Nikon AF-S 70-300 VR lens and will probably add the AF 50mm f1.8/1.4
To that.

I’ve had a lot of good suggestions from my fellow Nikonians as to what lenses I should be considering,so now all I need do is pick the lenses that suit my still of Photography.

Cheers John

RRRoger

Monterey Bay, US
3373 posts

#32. "RE: Change to D700/ it’s replacement or D3, Nikonians thoughts" | In response to Reply # 31

RRRoger Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his long history of demonstrated excellence and helping other members with equipment, technique and DSLR video in the true Nikonians spirit. Charter Member
Sat 06-Feb-10 06:25 PM

As for lenses:
The best glass is your best investment.
Nikkor 14-24, 24-70, 70-200, etc.

However, even 3rd party lenses are going up in price.

So if you are not a pro or cannot write off the cost, I would be very tempted to go with the Sigma equivalents.

G