Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

what is the best Auto focus custom settings in your opinion ?

AymanLawati

AE
8 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
AymanLawati Registered since 06th Jun 2009
Wed 17-Jun-09 09:17 PM

Hi
I just wanted to know what is your auto focus custom settings ?
(a1 , a2 , a3 , ... etc)

Thanks,

briantilley

Paignton, UK
30235 posts

#1. "RE: what is the best Auto focus custom settings in your opinion ?" | In response to Reply # 0

briantilley Gold Member Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Donor Ribbon awarded for his support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003
Wed 17-Jun-09 08:08 PM

Personally, I use different values for these Custom Settings depending on what I'm photographing. What type(s) of subject are you shooting?

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

AymanLawati

AE
8 posts

#2. "RE: what is the best Auto focus custom settings in your opinion ?" | In response to Reply # 1

Thu 18-Jun-09 09:10 AM

am a wedding photographer
so am interested in wedding photography custom settings

Thanks for your replay

briantilley

Paignton, UK
30235 posts

#3. "RE: what is the best Auto focus custom settings in your opinion ?" | In response to Reply # 2

briantilley Gold Member Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Donor Ribbon awarded for his support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003
Thu 18-Jun-09 09:29 AM

Thanks. I don't do anything like weddings myself, so I'll let one of our other members make relevant suggestions.

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

AymanLawati

AE
8 posts

#4. "RE: what is the best Auto focus custom settings in your opinion ?" | In response to Reply # 3

Fri 19-Jun-09 07:43 AM

Thanks again for your replay ...

May anybody from you guys can help me ?

Thanks,

KnightPhoto

Alberta, CA
4954 posts

#5. "RE: what is the best Auto focus custom settings in your opinion ?" | In response to Reply # 4

KnightPhoto Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Dec 2006
Wed 24-Jun-09 02:59 AM

Hi Ayman, I am not a wedding photographer but for portraits I make sure to use the 'Neutral' or Nikon-supplied 'Portrait' picture control. For AF I use:

A1 - AF-C Priority selection = Release + Focus
A2 - AF-S priority selection = focus
A3 - Dynamic AF area = 3D or just straight 51 point (but a case could be made for 9-point also)
A4 - Focus tracking with lock-on = Normal
A5 - AF activation = on (many people also like to use AF-ON only, and for a wedding shooter I could see this as being VERY helpful)
A6 - AF point illumination = on
A7 - Focus point wrap-around = on (I find this a handy shortcut!)
A8 - AF point selection = 51 (so that I can choose amongst all 51 focus points for exact placement of the AF-point that I wish to use. NOTE - I use continuous-servo not single-servo so all these settings are biased towards my use with continuous focusing (C on front-lever on the camera). But many others use Single-server and a focus and recompose method)
A9 - Built-in AF Assist illuminator=ON (but works only in Single-servo)
A10 - AF-ON for MB-D10 = on

Back-lever on the camera set to Dynamic (middle setting on the lever)

There are many more experienced folks here, that hopefully will chime in. I would recommend you check out the Nikonians Wedding forum here at:
https://www.nikonians.org/forums/dcboard.php?az=show_topics&forum=164

Best regards, SteveK
My Nikonians gallery
'A camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera.' -- Dorothea Lange

TiggerGTO

Apex, US
2258 posts

#6. "RE: what is the best Auto focus custom settings in your opinion ?" | In response to Reply # 5

TiggerGTO Gold Member Nikonian since 22nd Feb 2006
Wed 24-Jun-09 11:44 AM

I didn't want to dig out the manual or walk through the settings on my camera. Now that somebody has provided the list, I can easily tell you what I use:

A1 - I have it set to Release. For sports, I have had the delays caused by "Release + Focus" cause me to miss the peak of action when shooting a burst in CH. I should probably experiment with this a bit more though.

A3 - I tend to prefer 9 or 21-point

A4 - I've experimented with both Normal and Short. I can't remember what I left it on.

A5 - I use AF-ON only. Takes a short while to get used to but I really like it. There have been several long discussions about this feature both here and in the D300 forums.

The rest are the same as Steve posted. In the end, I think you should pick some settings that seem likely for your style of shooting and use them for a while. If something doesn't work quite how you like it, adjust one of the settings -- that's what they are there for. I'm not trying to be snide, but the reason for all these settings is so that people can tailor the camera to their liking, not so much so that we can all set our cameras to work the same way.

Danny
A Nikonian in North Carolina

Ed911

US
222 posts

#7. "RE: what is the best Auto focus custom settings in your opinion ?" | In response to Reply # 5

Ed911 Silver Member Nikonian since 01st Apr 2007
Thu 25-Jun-09 11:17 AM | edited Thu 25-Jun-09 11:20 AM by Ed911

Nikon supplied portrait picture control? Never heard of it. Could you explain.

Thanks

briantilley

Paignton, UK
30235 posts

#8. "RE: what is the best Auto focus custom settings in your opinion ?" | In response to Reply # 7

Thu 25-Jun-09 12:05 PM | edited Thu 25-Jun-09 12:06 PM by briantilley

These are preset Picture Controls, downloadable from your local Nikon website. For example:

Nikon Imaging - Optional Picture Controls

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

TiggerGTO

Apex, US
2258 posts

#9. "RE: what is the best Auto focus custom settings in your opinion ?" | In response to Reply # 7

TiggerGTO Gold Member Nikonian since 22nd Feb 2006
Fri 26-Jun-09 10:55 AM

Along with the built-in standard, neutral and vivid settings, you can download and install additional picture control settings like portrait or landscape from Nikon or custom settings created by other people. These settings control sharpening, contrast, brightness, saturation and hue settings that are applied to JPGs. They also affect the JPG preview for a NEF and Capture NX2 can read these settings and use them as a starting point when you edit the NEF.

The picture control settings have nothing to do with the AF settings or behavior.

Danny
A Nikonian in North Carolina

G