Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Ultra Wide Zoom for D700 Full Frame use: only 12-24 Sigma?

vincentnyc

New York, US
62 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
vincentnyc Registered since 24th Mar 2009
Mon 30-Mar-09 07:43 PM

after searching much, i came to the conclusion that the Sigma 12-24mm is the only ultra wide zoom available for Nikon full frame D700.
can that possibly be?

i just got the D700 and one lens: Tamron 28-300mm, and would like to complement it with an ultra wide zoom, rather than duplicating the range (at this juncture) with a constant f/2.8 midrange such as a 28-75mm or so.

a few personal, subjective biases: i prefer zooms, whenever possible, and i prefer VR or VC, whenever possible.

my personal feeling is that, hey, we're in 2009, why wouldn't we want VR/VC whenever possible? It will buy us a couple of extra stops. Yes, i recognize that i'll need it far less with the superb higher ISO performance of my D700, yet, more choices of exposure is additional control for any situation at hand.
thanks in advance and looking forward to hearing!

walkerr

Colorado Springs, US
16964 posts

#1. "RE: Ultra Wide Zoom for D700 Full Frame use: only 12-24 Sigma?" | In response to Reply # 0

walkerr Administrator Awarded for his con tributed articles published at the Resources Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in multiple areas Master Ribbon awarded as a member who has gone beyond technical knowledge to show mastery of the art and science of photography   Donor Ribbon awarded for his most generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2015 Nikonian since 05th May 2002
Mon 30-Mar-09 05:47 PM

The Nikon 14-24mm is pretty wide, too.

Rick Walker

My photos:

GeoVista Photography

vincentnyc

New York, US
62 posts

#2. "RE: Ultra Wide Zoom for D700 Full Frame use: only 12-24 Sigma?" | In response to Reply # 1

vincentnyc Registered since 24th Mar 2009
Mon 30-Mar-09 05:49 PM

>The Nikon 14-24mm is pretty wide, too.

may i ask the experienced fellow users here: which of the 2 lenses do you prefer as your "ultra wide zoom" choice, please?

thanks!

walkerr

Colorado Springs, US
16964 posts

#3. "RE: Ultra Wide Zoom for D700 Full Frame use: only 12-24 Sigma?" | In response to Reply # 2

walkerr Administrator Awarded for his con tributed articles published at the Resources Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in multiple areas Master Ribbon awarded as a member who has gone beyond technical knowledge to show mastery of the art and science of photography   Donor Ribbon awarded for his most generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2015 Nikonian since 05th May 2002
Mon 30-Mar-09 06:12 PM

The 14-24mm Nikkor is one of the finest zoom lens ever made and better than the primes in that same range. The Sigma is a good value, but it's not in the Nikkor's league.

Rick Walker

My photos:

GeoVista Photography

JAlanS11

Richmond, US
51 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to send message via AOL IM

#4. "RE: Ultra Wide Zoom for D700 Full Frame use: only 12-24 Sigma?" | In response to Reply # 2

JAlanS11 Registered since 11th Jan 2009
Mon 30-Mar-09 06:13 PM

The 14-24 is widely preferred among Nikon users as well as Canon users.

I do not own it, however have borrowed it several times from friends, on FF it is W - I - D - E.

www.AlanSlabaugh.com

briantilley

Paignton, UK
30235 posts

#5. "RE: Ultra Wide Zoom for D700 Full Frame use: only 12-24 Sigma?" | In response to Reply # 0

briantilley Gold Member Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Donor Ribbon awarded for his support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003
Mon 30-Mar-09 06:16 PM

I suggest we make any further replies in this duplicate post in our 3rd Party AF Lenses Forum, which is a better place for this type of question.

Thanks!

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

mshi2008

US
46 posts

#6. "RE: Ultra Wide Zoom for D700 Full Frame use: only 12-24 Sigma?" | In response to Reply # 0

mshi2008 Registered since 31st Mar 2009
Wed 01-Apr-09 01:22 AM

nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G is absolutely the best ultra-wide ever made and it's absolutely a must-have optical wonder-toy in my view.simply love it!

Andy_F

US
19 posts

#7. "RE: Ultra Wide Zoom for D700 Full Frame use: only 12-24 Sigma?" | In response to Reply # 3

Andy_F Registered since 17th Feb 2009
Wed 01-Apr-09 11:08 PM

>The 14-24mm Nikkor is one of the finest zoom lens ever made
>and better than the primes in that same range.

Exactly the same was said of the 17-35mm Nikkor FF until the 14-24mm was launched. It's a great lens for the D700 as well.

The Sigma is NOT in the same class.

Andy
D700, D40X, and more Nikkor lenses than one should be allowed

G