Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Whats the best compact flash card is there any real difference?

avoman

AU
8 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
avoman Registered since 11th Mar 2008
Sat 03-Jan-09 09:21 AM

Hi all, I have had my D700 for 1week and it is wonderful to have full frame again. I am unsure with flash cards is there any real benifit between the 30MB/sec and the 45 MB/sec. I am enjoying the new to me HDR at the moment so I am firing off 9 frames as quick as I can at around f8-f11.Is the time between frames slowed down using a extreme III compared to extremeIV? Or is it all advertising hype. Any input would be great
thanks
Avo

nikolaj1972

wonderful copenhagen, DK
175 posts

#1. "RE: Whats the best compact flash card is there any real difference?" | In response to Reply # 0

nikolaj1972 Registered since 13th Sep 2007
Sat 03-Jan-09 11:14 AM

Hi
No doubt that UDMA-cards are fastest.
Look at www.robgalbraith.com at click on "CF/SD" in the upper left corner and you can then select your camera from the "CF/SD Performance Database". I havent seen better tests than rob`s.

I use mostly sandisk III which is a bit slower than UDMA but its a lot cheaper. I have one sandisk IV , which is UDMA, in those rare occations i have need for speed.

Nikolaj Freiesleben.cph.dk

pvamic41

Moorhead, US
24 posts

#2. "RE: Whats the best compact flash card is there any real difference?" | In response to Reply # 1

pvamic41 Gold Member Nikonian since 03rd Jan 2007
Sat 03-Jan-09 12:04 PM

You hit the nail on the head - if you need the speed then UDMA is the way to go. I also bracket quite often but I don't have any issues with my Kingston 16gb 133x cards and I too have some Sandisk IV cards just in case.

Paul Amicucci
http://www.pbase.com/paulamicucci

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

johnlophoto

Lynn, US
31 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to send message via AOL IM

#3. "RE: Whats the best compact flash card is there any real difference?" | In response to Reply # 2

johnlophoto Registered since 06th Dec 2008
Sat 03-Jan-09 12:56 PM | edited Sat 03-Jan-09 12:56 PM by johnlophoto

I use five 4gb Extreme III's and one 8gb Extreme III's for weddings and have no problem at all. Holds about 2200 pictures and I shoot in jpeg with minimal compression. My software is good enough not to have to shoot in RAW and I'm a big fan of getting it right in camera. Which means MANUAL flash!

www.johnlophoto.com

BassPlayer

Port Chester, US
16 posts

#4. "RE: Whats the best compact flash card is there any real difference?" | In response to Reply # 0

BassPlayer Registered since 12th Dec 2008
Sat 03-Jan-09 04:41 PM

Here's a direct link for you to RG's great comparison of CF cards for the D700.

http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/camera_multi_page.asp?cid=6007-9550

http://www.theplaceforpix.com/

avoman

AU
8 posts

#5. "RE: Whats the best compact flash card is there any real difference?" | In response to Reply # 0

avoman Registered since 11th Mar 2008
Sat 03-Jan-09 07:12 PM

Thankyou folks as always the information was fantastic very helpful web sites. I have ended up spending the extra $$ and buying the scandisk extreme ducati 4GB and extreme III 8GB Thanks again
Avo

attene

Highlands Ranch, US
22 posts

#6. "RE: Whats the best compact flash card is there any real difference?" | In response to Reply # 0

attene Registered since 22nd Oct 2007
Sat 03-Jan-09 07:41 PM

Thom Hogan's e-book for the D700 recommends the SanDisk Extreme IV. He mentions that he likes the SanDisk Ducati, but says it is no longer made. I am currently using a SanDisk Extreme III 8GB and 4GB and am happy with the performance. I will upgrade on my next card to see if there is a noticeable increase in performance for high continuous shooting on action shots which I occasionally do. He also recommends dedicated cards for each different camera body. I have found his ebook to be very helpful.

Tom Tenenbaum
A Colorado Nikonian

Visit my Nikonians gallery.[/ptt

sjd996

US
457 posts

#7. "RE: Whats the best compact flash card is there any real difference?" | In response to Reply # 6

sjd996 Registered since 29th Jan 2008
Sun 04-Jan-09 01:12 AM

It used to be that the Ducatis were 45 MB/sec and the Extreme IV's were 40 MB/sec.

Early last year, Sandisk updated the Extreme IV's to 45Mb/sec and discontinued the Ducatis (I'm guessing, but I suspect that means the new extreme IV's are basically the Ducatis without a royalty paid to Ducati, but that may just be me being cynical).

Steve Denton

Rate Photo Stuff | DSLR Database | Travel Blog

G