Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Where does the gray market D700 body come from?

nicholasvo

US
4 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
nicholasvo Registered since 06th Dec 2008
Sun 07-Dec-08 05:25 AM

The prices for the D700 USA body are from 2400 to 3000, for the gray one is around 1600. We know that the gray cameras are imported. I contacted the wholesale dealers/exporters in China, They asked for from 500usd to 885usd. The amount of 885 makes sense,but 500 or 600 are dirt cheap. Anyway nobody will buy it because they only send the camera to you after receiving cash payment thru Western Union, Moneygram or Bank transfer. Only God knows if they will send it to you or what they will send. I also found out that there are authorized Nikon dealers in India, Malaysia sell the d700 body for 3000usd. Does anyone know where the gray market cameras sold in NY come from? If you can buy it really cheap and securely, it is worth taking risk knowing that Nikon will not repair it.

greyface

Acushnet, US
1613 posts

#1. "RE: Where does the gray market D700 body come from?" | In response to Reply # 0

greyface Gold Member Nikonian since 30th Jul 2008
Sun 07-Dec-08 05:00 AM

To the best of my knowledge, the grey market cameras sold in NY are the same as the USA import. The difference is the warranty. I have a grey market D80 and the only difference I can see is the serial number. They all come from the same factory,I believe. Grey market items will NOT be repaired by Nikon USA. You will have to go through a 3rd party. The China price sounds too good to be true and I doubt if you can get a refund if they don't send you the camera. Some grey market cameras come with a 3rd party warranty. Check the shops forum to find a reseller with a good reputation.
-------------------

"On no account allow a Vogon to read poetry at you." - The Hitchhikers Guide

briantilley

Paignton, UK
30235 posts

#2. "RE: Where does the gray market D700 body come from?" | In response to Reply # 0

briantilley Gold Member Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Donor Ribbon awarded for his support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003
Sun 07-Dec-08 07:38 AM

Welcome to Nikonians!

It is correct that there is only one version of the D700 camera - all of them are made in the same factory using the same components.

The difference with gray imports is the lack of an official warranty; your local Nikon service department won't touch them if you get a problem.

Now, the gray price you mention is so much lower than the official price that I strongly suspect some sort of additional scam is involved. Check out our Shops Forum for advice on how to avoid such merchants

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

nicholasvo

US
4 posts

#3. "RE: Where does the gray market D700 body come from?" | In response to Reply # 2

nicholasvo Registered since 06th Dec 2008
Sun 07-Dec-08 02:42 PM

If the NY gray market dealers can sell a d700 body with some freebees for 1600, then how much NY dealers really pay for it in the third world countries. the amount of 885 to 1000 seems to make sense to me in term of doing business in NY city. Meanwhile the nikon authorised dealers in Asia still sell it for 3000usd, Of course there is no fake Nikon cameras, then the question is where the source of gray market camera is?

briantilley

Paignton, UK
30235 posts

#4. "RE: Where does the gray market D700 body come from?" | In response to Reply # 3

briantilley Gold Member Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Donor Ribbon awarded for his support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003
Sun 07-Dec-08 03:01 PM

Nikon USA imports need a mark-up to help cover the overheads of the official import channels, including after-sales support. True gray imports - which are real Nikon cameras sourced from overseas dealers/distributors - can offer a slightly lower price because their products aren't eligible for support from Nikon USA - however, 33% lower is not realistic.

As was already suggested, a price so much lower than the official dealers is a big hint that your source is less than reputable. Sadly, there are several such stores in the NY area; dealing with them often results in disappointment. Their typical tricks include charging extra for things like batteries and chargers that should be included, and suggesting that you'll want to upgrade to the "metal" rather than the "plastic" version (which is complete rubbish). I would STRONGLY suggest checking out your source at somewhere like ResellerRatings.

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

nagy1909

Cleveland, US
38 posts

#5. "RE: Where does the gray market D700 body come from?" | In response to Reply # 4

nagy1909 Registered since 30th Nov 2008
Sun 07-Dec-08 05:27 PM

I wish I had known about the "reseller ratings" web site before I bought a camera from PhotoConnection, I would never have used them!

Len Shepherd

Yorkshire, UK
12722 posts

#6. "RE: Nowhere?" | In response to Reply # 0

Len Shepherd Gold Member Nikonian since 09th Mar 2003
Sun 07-Dec-08 06:53 PM

>They asked for from 500usd to 885usd. The amount of 885 makes sense,but 500 or 600 are dirt cheap. Anyway nobody will
>buy it because they only send the camera to you after receiving cash payment thru Western Union,
Sorry to sound harsh but surely Western Union and the dirt cheap prices set alarm bells ringing.
It is better to accept it is a likely scam BEFORE sending money you cannot get back.

Photography is a bit like archery. A technically better camera, lens or arrow may not hit the target as often as it could if the photographer or archer does not practice enough.

Len Shepherd

G