Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Does D700 "auto detect" DX lenses?

SWIMR

US
271 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
SWIMR Silver Member Nikonian since 24th Apr 2006
Tue 26-Jun-12 10:50 PM

I have lots of DX lenses, and am considering going to full frame. I was under the impression that a FF body like the D700 would show an incompletely filled frame with a DX lens..e.g. there would be something like a circular spot with the DX-size image, and nothing beyond that. But I've recently been told that the FF bodies auto-detect DX lenses, and crop their sensor size to it's filled completely with the DX image. Does anyone know if that's the case?

Thanks!

JosephK

Seattle, WA, US
7108 posts

#1. "RE: Does D700 "auto detect" DX lenses?" | In response to Reply # 0

JosephK Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Nikonian since 17th Apr 2006
Tue 26-Jun-12 09:36 PM

Yes, the D700 does auto-detect DX lenses. By default it will go into DX crop mode, but this can be turned of via the menus. See page 58 of the English manual.

---------+---------+---------+---------+
Joseph K
Seattle, WA, USA

D700, D200, D70S, 24-70mm f/2.8, VR 70-200mm f/2.8 II, 50mm f/1.4 D,
17-55mm f/2.8 DX, 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 VR, 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5 DX

briantilley

Paignton, UK
30235 posts

#2. "RE: Does D700 "auto detect" DX lenses?" | In response to Reply # 0

briantilley Gold Member Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Donor Ribbon awarded for his support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003
Wed 27-Jun-12 12:05 PM | edited Wed 27-Jun-12 12:05 PM by briantilley

Yes, the D700 (like all Nikon's FX DSLR's so far) has the option of switching automatically to its DX Crop Mode when a DX Nikkor is mounted.

Note that the auto-switching may not always work with 3rd-party lenses as it relies on the coding of a chip in the lens to tell the camera it's for the DX format. You can always switch manually via the menus

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

Roland J

Northampton, UK
38 posts

#3. "RE: Does D700 "auto detect" DX lenses?" | In response to Reply # 2

Roland J Registered since 27th Nov 2007
Wed 27-Jun-12 08:12 PM | edited Wed 27-Jun-12 08:14 PM by Roland J

I have mine set to show FF all the time... I also have the 'grid' turned on. The inner lines of the grid are exactly the same size as the DX image. I find it useful because a) it gives a good indication of the 'extra' that you get when an FX lens is fitted... & b) When you have a DX lens you can gauge the limits of the lens by seeing what's in the frame & what's out. (Obviously I need to post-crop)

Roland J

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Daveecopping

Polegate, UK
191 posts

#4. "RE: Does D700 "auto detect" DX lenses?" | In response to Reply # 2

Daveecopping Silver Member Nikonian since 21st Jan 2011
Thu 28-Jun-12 04:33 AM

I have a Sigma 10-20mm f4-5.6 which auto switches on my D700. It's also worth noting that the memory card can hold more images when the camera is in DX mode.

Dave

robsb

San Jose, US
14958 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to send message via AOL IM

#5. "RE: Does D700 "auto detect" DX lenses?" | In response to Reply # 2

robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Donor Ribbon awarded for his enthusiastic and repeated support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2015 Nikonian since 23rd Aug 2006
Thu 28-Jun-12 10:00 PM

Welcome back Brian.

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

"Nikonians membership - My most important photographic investment, after the
camera"

Retirement is a gift of time - Don't waste it!
Old age is a special gift that very few receive. Be thankful if you get it.

G