Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Looking for a D700 or something else

Totex

Houston, Katy, US
361 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
Totex Silver Member Nikonian since 09th Mar 2012
Wed 13-Jun-12 04:27 AM

I'm considering moving to full frame and the D700 seems like a good choice, how ever I'm seeing prices all over between $1800 to $2800.00 USD, so whats your guys take, or should I consider stepping up to the D800? new camera, so price is high, and maybe some bugs that we don't know about it yet. Thanks for your input.

Tony

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

ZoneV

US
3564 posts

#1. "RE: Looking for a D700 or something else" | In response to Reply # 0

ZoneV Silver Member Nikonian since 07th Jan 2005
Wed 13-Jun-12 02:29 AM

A new D700 is $2200. A used D3 is $2800. A used D700 appears to be $1800 (no grip). $2800 is way off the mark for a used D700.

Nikon user since 2000

Pouncer

Memphis, US
1231 posts

#2. "RE: Looking for a D700 or something else" | In response to Reply # 0

Pouncer Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009
Wed 13-Jun-12 03:28 PM

Why are you moving to full frame?

If you "need" full frame then evaluate the specs of both cameras and decide which bests suits your need.

If you "want" full frame then evaluate the specs of both cameras and decide how much you want to spend on a camera versus lenses or other accessories that you could get for the price difference.

I have a D700 and have no interest in a new D800. I don't want or need 36 MP or slightly improved ISO. Maybe in a few years I'll pick up a used D800 (it is hard to ignore the rave reviews), but for now my D700 does just fine.

Garrett

This is my Nikonians gallery.

Totex

Houston, Katy, US
361 posts

#3. "RE: Looking for a D700 or something else" | In response to Reply # 2

Totex Silver Member Nikonian since 09th Mar 2012
Wed 13-Jun-12 08:06 PM

Thanks for your comments, boy I love this site, people is great here.
I wasn't in the market, after a lady referred by an acquaintance offered to buy my D300 (less than 1000 clicks) for a great price, if she comes true, ( by this weekend) than I will be in the market for a replacement, I like both the DSLR and FF, but the full frame has good features that you don't get on the dslr, shooting with wide lenses is a blast, low light seems better I don't have to have one but I like to venture out and try a different approach (i do not know much about full frame) Still will have the D5100 though.
Found a new D700 for $2200,00 the draw back is that now some FX lenses might be on my wish list as well (meaning more money to be expended) What's a mother to do, in the interim just looking to see whats out there.
Thanks for chiming in.....

Tony

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

G