Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Cigar lighter adaptor for EN-EL3e charger

William Rounds

Rambouillet, FR
734 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
William Rounds Gold Member Nikonian since 25th Mar 2011
Sat 09-Jun-12 04:57 PM | edited Sat 09-Jun-12 05:01 PM by William Rounds

I will be traveling and I would like to know if there is a cigar lighter cord for the Nikon MH-18a quick charger for the EN-EL3e battery for my D700. I'm looking for the same thing for the D90 camera battery charger. It seems like they should exist, but initial web searches didn't show anything that looked "Nikon approved" for this specific combination. Thanks for any help.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

stappy

Alexandria, US
225 posts

#1. "RE: Cigar lighter adaptor for EN-EL3e charger" | In response to Reply # 0

stappy Gold Member Nikonian since 06th Aug 2009
Sat 09-Jun-12 04:02 PM

Have you considered getting a 12v cigarette lighter inverter and just plugging in the chargers as normal. That would be much more general and you would still use Nikon chargers. Just make sure to get one with enough wattage for the charger but less than the maximum of your lighter plug.
This has been my solution.

timpsm

Salt Spring Island, CA
416 posts

#2. "RE: Cigar lighter adaptor for EN-EL3e charger" | In response to Reply # 0

timpsm Registered since 17th Sep 2010
Mon 11-Jun-12 01:50 AM | edited Mon 11-Jun-12 01:53 AM by timpsm

+1 on the inverter suggestion. I haven't any experience with 240v inverters but I hope they exist because they are very handy. I now always have a 120v inverter in the car, it is very handy for recharging phones, laptops, music players, DVD players, cameras.

tim

William Rounds

Rambouillet, FR
734 posts

#3. "RE: Cigar lighter adaptor for EN-EL3e charger" | In response to Reply # 2

Mon 11-Jun-12 02:17 AM

I'll be traveling internationally, so while an inverter might be great in one's own car, I'm not sure if it would be a good option for flying.

sergeantcigar

US
257 posts

#4. "RE: Cigar lighter adaptor for EN-EL3e charger" | In response to Reply # 0

sergeantcigar Registered since 23rd Dec 2005
Tue 12-Jun-12 06:48 PM

I know I'm opening myself up for some non-Nikon retorts, but I have had luck with some of the very inexpensive 3rd party 12V chargers found on eBay. They are not quick chargers, but they do work. Of course, if you are in a hotel, the Nikon chargers work with 100-240V. All you need is an adapter, not a converter for the plug.

gpoole

Farmington Hills, US
4124 posts

#5. "RE: Cigar lighter adaptor for EN-EL3e charger" | In response to Reply # 0

gpoole Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Awarded for his very generous support to the Fundrasing Campaing 2014 Writer Ribbon awarded for his article contributions for the Articles library and the eZine Nikonian since 14th Feb 2004
Tue 12-Jun-12 07:24 PM

How about this. I've used a similar aftermarket charger for 3 years with my EN-EL3e batteries. It works fine and the battery status in the Setup menu still shows the batteries have new status.

Gary in SE Michigan, USA.
Nikonians membership - My most important photographic investment, after the camera.
D4, D810, D300 (720nm IR conversion), D90, F6, FM3a (black), FM2n (chrome)
YashicaMat 124, Graflex Speed Graphic 4x5
My Nikonians Gallery & Our Chapter Gallery

William Rounds

Rambouillet, FR
734 posts

#6. "RE: Cigar lighter adaptor for EN-EL3e charger" | In response to Reply # 5

Thu 14-Jun-12 04:49 AM

gpoole, That looks like a good one, unfortunately not sold in Europe under that name or with that appearance. But I do see what is probably a clone in other ads; they may in fact all be made at the same factory in China. I'll try one out.

gpoole

Farmington Hills, US
4124 posts

#7. "RE: Cigar lighter adaptor for EN-EL3e charger" | In response to Reply # 6

gpoole Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Awarded for his very generous support to the Fundrasing Campaing 2014 Writer Ribbon awarded for his article contributions for the Articles library and the eZine Nikonian since 14th Feb 2004
Thu 14-Jun-12 11:32 AM

The one I have is a Synergy-Digital SDM-135 that I bought from B&H a couple of years ago. B&H no longer sells the Synergy charger but seems to be selling the Pearstone in it's place.

I checked www.synergy-digital.com It appears to be under construction, but the copyright dates are several years old. This makes me think they are out of business.

Gary in SE Michigan, USA.
Nikonians membership - My most important photographic investment, after the camera.
D4, D810, D300 (720nm IR conversion), D90, F6, FM3a (black), FM2n (chrome)
YashicaMat 124, Graflex Speed Graphic 4x5
My Nikonians Gallery & Our Chapter Gallery

KolinP

Weston-super-Mare, UK
248 posts

#8. "RE: Cigar lighter adaptor for EN-EL3e charger" | In response to Reply # 0

KolinP Silver Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 13th May 2006
Sat 16-Jun-12 10:01 PM | edited Sat 16-Jun-12 10:39 PM by KolinP

Hi William,

If it's not too late for you, I've earmarked this one for myself to buy for my next trip abroad ...
(maybe I should have bought it when I first spotted it, as it's currently (17th June 2012) out of stock!!)

DigitalMediaStore (UK)
Nikon EN-EL3, EN-EL3e Worldwide Battery Travel Charger

(Edited at 00:39 UTC to add ...)
Here's another option ...

Bristol Cameras
Inov8 Battery Charger For Nikon EN-EL3e

I know this Bristol Cameras shop well, and I've bought a few things over the years from their bricks 'n mortar store in Bristol, but frustratingly their website policy is to never indicate whether items are in stock! So a phone call to them before committing your money might be a good idea.

Colin P.

--
Staying busy is easy. Setting priorities is harder!
A doorway to my other photo sites

G