Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

When to buy the D700? Now or later.....

pqtrths

Roseville, CA, US
1017 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
pqtrths Silver Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 02nd May 2007
Mon 18-Aug-08 07:16 PM

When to buy the D700?

I had previously stated that I would purchase a D700 after the first two production cycles, the reason being that by that time, some of the more pronounced "bugs" have been worked out. Two reasons for this: first, the advice of a repair tech at a fairly large local camera store that I respect and, second, the first users' experience with the autofocus functions of the early F4s models. (A reason, I believe, that extended the production run of the F3HP.)

What's your opinion on this? Additionally, what are number of cameras produced in a Nikon production run?

Marion

dgberg

Mohnton,Pa., US
1205 posts

#1. "RE: When to buy the D700? Now or later....." | In response to Reply # 0

dgberg Dan is an accomplished photographer and fine art printer. With his fine art printing business and workshop experience he eagerly shares a unique perspective with all Nikonians - how to produce salable professional prints to discerning customers and teaching those skills. Registered since 25th Aug 2007
Mon 18-Aug-08 06:10 PM | edited Tue 19-Aug-08 08:08 AM by dgberg

Sorry I disagree completely with the theory that waiting to purchase a new product release will some how make you immune from a mythical glitch . A 2009 automobile is manufactured for about 10 months of its 1 year introductory life. Cars cost a great deal more then a $3000 D700. Most cars are in the $15,000 to $50,000 range. Would you wait 6 months or a year from release of a new car to purchase ? Maybe you would I don't know. A new camera will be released every 2 years or so if you look at Nikons history. My opinion is that the ONLY thing that waiting may save you is a several hundred dollar price reduction.

Dan Berg
www.bergscanvasgallery.com
www.bergscustomfurniture.com

Len Shepherd

Yorkshire, UK
12722 posts

#2. "RE: When to buy the D700? Now or later....." | In response to Reply # 0

Len Shepherd Gold Member Nikonian since 09th Mar 2003
Mon 18-Aug-08 06:15 PM

There are no reports of common bugs for the D700 at Nikonians

Photography is a bit like archery. A technically better camera, lens or arrow may not hit the target as often as it could if the photographer or archer does not practice enough.

Len Shepherd

Bufo55

US
233 posts

#3. "RE: When to buy the D700? Now or later....." | In response to Reply # 0

Bufo55 Basic Member
Mon 18-Aug-08 09:40 PM

As far as I can tell, the best reason to wait has to do with the potential for price drops once Sony releases its 24 MP A900 and Canon releases whatever is going to replace the 5D. These are sure things before Christmas-maybe even next month. And if Nikon releases a 24MP FX sooner than later, that may affect the price of the D700 too. The possibility of a DX3x/4 is also a reason to wait. As far as the potential for price drops, last weekend I received an email offer of $150 off the street price of 2999 and free shipping from one reputable dealer from whom I purchased my D300. OK, so you don't have to ask, it was ephotocraft, and they don't sell greymarket.

I had some hesitations about the speed of the D700 autofocus and tracking ability in low light, and I'm still waiting for some thorough professional reviews, but from the anecdotal evidence I've read here and other places so far, I'm not so concerned.

PEACE,
Steve

RoFus

Luxembourg, LU
119 posts

#4. "RE: When to buy the D700? Now or later....." | In response to Reply # 0

RoFus Silver Member Nikonian since 14th Nov 2004
Tue 19-Aug-08 06:24 AM

I tend to agree that 100% of the cameras that end up in a repair-shop most likely have a technical problem and people working there tend to see mostly the negative side of a product.

Photo_Art_W

US
990 posts

#5. "RE: When to buy the D700? Now or later....." | In response to Reply # 0

Photo_Art_W Silver Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 21st Nov 2005
Tue 19-Aug-08 05:39 PM

Myself, I tend to wait a little while for reviews to come out on new products anyways before I leap if it's a model I intend to purchase. Also watching the forums here, typically any issues or "bugs" pop up fairly quickly if there are any. Take for instance the "banding" issues with early D200s.
Pre-release cameras/lenses are submitted to testers and used in the field for feedback under non-disclosure contracts all the time. So before they're available to the public they've already had quite a bit of "real world" testing to eliminate any "bugs" or problems prior to release.
You can hold off if you want, but at some point you have to jump in!
Art

http://www.artsplace.us

Photo_Art_W

US
990 posts

#6. "RE: When to buy the D700? Now or later....." | In response to Reply # 5

Photo_Art_W Silver Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 21st Nov 2005
Tue 19-Aug-08 11:14 PM

Posting a note here for anyone looking to buy a D700... Check out Berger Brothers e-Bay store (http://stores.ebay.com/Berger-Bros-Camera-and-Video) where they list one D700 at a time at a great price it seems. Their service is great & Garrett will take care of you there, he handles their e-Bay store sales. They also sell them on their site (http://www.berger-bros.com/) for a competitive price as well. Ask for Lisa in the sales dept, she is very courteous and nice to deal with as well.

I've purchased items from them before, and they've always gone that extra mile to make sure you're happy & satisfied with your purchase. That's why they're always top on my list when I'm looking for new gear to satisfy my NAS!!!

Even the owner Brad called me to make sure all my information was correct prior to shipping, asked if there was anything else I needed, and that I was pleased with their service. I never had the owner(s) of Beach Camera or B&H Photo call me that's for sure!

Regards,
Art

http://www.artsplace.us

DKESLERFL

Miami (Coconut Grove), US
3198 posts

#7. "RE: When to buy the D700? Now or later....." | In response to Reply # 0

DKESLERFL Registered since 21st Mar 2003
Thu 21-Aug-08 12:26 PM

That's why I buy from a reputable dealer and work the heck out of a camera during the first two weeks. If I don't like it it goes back, period. Also most electronics gear dies of infant mortality so there isn't usually much to go wrong after that, provided it has been on quite a bit.

I have great faith in Nikon. They are not the type of company to push products out the door. I also believe that is why we get so frustrated sometimes waiting for them to come out with the next dream machine.

I used to think that about Apple.

Regards,

Don Kesler

http://www.donaldkesler.com

Through the judicious use of adjustment layers, no pixels were actually harmed in the processing of my shots..

MarkF

Northern Virginia area, US
195 posts

#8. "RE: When to buy the D700? Now or later....." | In response to Reply # 7

MarkF Registered since 20th Dec 2005
Fri 22-Aug-08 12:26 AM

How many pictures will you miss by waiting?
Is that worth any $s saved?

That is how I made the decision to buy the D700 now.
I was having trouble in indoor low-light situations. I was considering additional flash units, but when the D700 was announced I decided that was the answer for me.

Mark

MarkF

D800
I still own an F100; do you think film will make a comeback?

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

pqtrths

Roseville, CA, US
1017 posts

#9. "RE: When to buy the D700? Now or later..... Thank you!" | In response to Reply # 7

pqtrths Silver Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 02nd May 2007
Fri 22-Aug-08 09:47 PM

Thank you for the advice, from all of you.

I'm moving up the target date on the camera following the order of flash, lens, and camera. In the mix is also Photoshop Elements or CS3.

A practical reason to put off the camera would be to "perfect" my white balance settings - still tweaking the camera especially with the on-camera flash. I like deep staurated color much like FujiChrome Velvia. Using the custom settings and the "enhanced" vs. "normal" setting results in some flash portraits having a pronounced orange tint to them - the same problem I would have when using Velvia on the occasional facial shot.

Your photos are great!

hqasem

BH
77 posts

#10. "RE: When to buy the D700? Now or later....." | In response to Reply # 0

hqasem Registered since 30th Sep 2006
Sat 23-Aug-08 12:06 PM

Don't procrastinate. But it today.

http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/new-camera-bugs.htm

mdirvin

Crossville, US
264 posts

#11. "Not until after Photokina" | In response to Reply # 10

mdirvin Gold Member Nikonian since 08th Oct 2006
Sat 23-Aug-08 11:56 PM | edited Sat 23-Aug-08 11:59 PM by mdirvin

There is no way I would purchase any equipment until after Potokina unless I just had to have it. During the next month all the camera manufactures will most likely be introducing there new products. Even if they will not be available until some time in the future, at least you will have some idea where things are going.

"photokina
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The photokina is the world's biggest trade fair for the photographic and imaging industries. It is held in September every 2 years at the Cologne Trade Fair, Germany. Many photographic and imaging companies introduce important imaging products at photokina, or at the Photo Marketing Association Annual Convention and Trade Show (PMA), which is held in February or March of every year."

Mike

pixurit

CA
50 posts

#12. "RE: When to buy the D700? Now or later....." | In response to Reply # 0

pixurit Registered since 09th Apr 2008
Sun 24-Aug-08 10:33 AM

Is this topic ever going to die???

Those of us who have the D700 are busy shooting, capturing images that were never possible before the D3/D700.

Yes, you can wait for a month, a year, or even a decade, but you have to ask yourself what it will cost in missed shots. How many once in a lifetime events will you attend where the high ISO performance of the D700 would have allowed you to get the shots you cannot possibly get with anything less.

Will Photokina bring us something better? This is a possibility. I am going to risk it and say I doubt that Nikon will anounce another new pro level body so soon after the D3 and its baby brother, the D700. We may see a new consumer level body and some new/updated lenses but I do not think we will see a "D800" or "D4". This is just my opinion, I have no inside info.

There may be bugs in the first, second, third, or ANY run of a new product. That is what a warranty is for. The D700 is less risk than any other Nikon new release, in my opinion, as it uses technology proven with the D3 and D300. Has your "respected" repair tech taken this into account?

If your present Nikon body is capturing the shot in every circumstance you find yourself in, then keep it and wait until you need something more. If the D700 will allow you to capture the images you desire (and your present body will not) then buy it NOW!!

I pre-ordered the D700 and rushed to my local store as soon as they phoned to say it was in. I have not regretted it for a second (I haven't got the credit card statement yet). Today I attended the second once-in-a-lifetime event where my D700 allowed me to capture images that my old D200 could never have accomplished.

I guess I should change my signature to "D700fanboy" then everyone will understand my opinion of the newest Nikon body.

-----------------------

I never have taken a picture I've intended. They're always better or worse. - Diane Arbus

JPHoush

US
76 posts

#13. "RE: When to buy the D700? Now or later....." | In response to Reply # 0

JPHoush Registered since 28th Dec 2002
Tue 26-Aug-08 01:29 AM

For those of you that insist on waiting and waiting to buy your next camera, I believe that by now, Nikon has worked out all of the bugs from the F3, or maybe even the F4 might be debugged by now. But, then again, that might be pushing it for some of you.

JPHoush

ibshortie

Pittsburg, US
54 posts

#14. "RE: When to buy the D700? Now or later....." | In response to Reply # 13

ibshortie Registered since 29th Mar 2007
Tue 26-Aug-08 04:48 AM

>For those of you that insist on waiting and waiting to buy
>your next camera, I believe that by now, Nikon has worked out
>all of the bugs from the F3, or maybe even the F4 might be
>debugged by now. But, then again, that might be pushing it
>for some of you.

Waiting worked for me, I started with a Coolpix 990. When I decided I wanted a DSLR camera I started looking at the D70, then I was looking at the D70s, then the D50. I wound up purchasing a D200 which I am still using.

Now I am interested in the D3 and so far have seen the price drop $700 to $800 from when they came out, that's not so bad. Not that the original price held me back from buying it, the issue I have is with the wife but I have learned if I keep bothering her about buying something she will give in after a couple years.

Then of course something new comes out and I have to start the process all over again, oh well.

G