Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Purchasing a D700

wapiti

austin, US
137 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to send message via AOL IM
wapiti Silver Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 21st Dec 2002
Tue 22-Dec-09 04:07 PM

I am finally ready to pull the trigger and buy a D700. I would love a D3 but cannot get the $$$$. My cameras that I currently use are a D2hs and a D2x. I often use them in the vertical orientation and use the vertical shutter release.
My question is this. Should I opt for the MB-D10? This will, of course, cost some $200+.
I would appreciate opinions, pro and con.

Bill in Austin, TX
"When you come to the fork in the road, take it."
https://images.nikonians.org/galleries/useralbums.php

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

hwdx347

Maumelle, US
6273 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

#1. "RE: Purchasing a D700" | In response to Reply # 0

hwdx347 Basic Member
Tue 22-Dec-09 03:10 PM

If you really want the vertical shutter release button you have no choice. Personally I don't like the battery pack because it adds to the weight and size.

Hedley
Originally from Merthyr Tydfil, Wales -- now in Arkansas

wapiti

austin, US
137 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to send message via AOL IM

#2. "RE: Purchasing a D700" | In response to Reply # 0

wapiti Silver Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 21st Dec 2002
Tue 22-Dec-09 03:14 PM

OK, guys.
I realize that I should have done a search prior to posting and in doing so, see that there is much discussion in regard to the MB-D10.
Thanks for the responses.

Bill in Austin, TX

vicmac64

UK
84 posts

#3. "RE: Purchasing a D700" | In response to Reply # 2

vicmac64 Registered since 27th Dec 2006
Tue 22-Dec-09 10:18 PM

The only thing the grip will give is a more natural feel when portrait shooting and a higher frame rate (which is overhyped) in my opinion. It will also extend your battery life which is already stellar on the D700.

MEMcD

US
31305 posts

#4. "RE: Purchasing a D700" | In response to Reply # 0

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007
Wed 23-Dec-09 02:18 AM

Hi Bill,

I have never used my D700 or D300 without an MB-D10 attached. I mounted an MB-D10 on them the day each arrived and have never taken them off.
With the MB-D10 attached, they feel very similar to to the D2X and D3.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

EdT

Wilberforce, AU
99 posts

#5. "RE: Purchasing a D700" | In response to Reply # 4

EdT Silver Member Nikonian since 02nd Oct 2006
Wed 23-Dec-09 03:10 AM

I don't think there are any cons. The camera will feel much better in portrait with the MB-D10. You are more stable, and the added weight helps. It makes for an easier movement when switching between portrait and landscape.

Without it, I think you look a bit of an idiot with your right elbow stuck up in the air where birds might roost.

Ed T

xtrememac

Andover, US
278 posts

#6. "RE: Purchasing a D700" | In response to Reply # 0

xtrememac Silver Member Nikonian since 05th Jan 2006
Fri 25-Dec-09 03:49 PM

Another alternative is a good low mileage D3 used. The supply of used is increasing as the new D3 is out. You can get them on ebay for <$3K on average completed listings now. Plus you would still be using the pro battery.

I have both setups and the D3 is lighter and better balanced than the D300/700 with the MB-10 grip, especially if you use the AA batteries in the grip for maximum fps.

You would be used to that balance from your D2X. While I have the grip, I typically use the 700 without it, as a lighter weight walkaround camera.

Sincerely,

K. J. Doyle

The Long Ranger

US
301 posts

#7. "RE: Purchasing a D700" | In response to Reply # 0

The Long Ranger Registered since 25th Aug 2007
Wed 30-Dec-09 02:01 PM

Hi...

Get a "grip" on yourself and get the MB-D10. You'll probably love it, and if not, you can always sell it to me for next to nothing...

"Ole' Thick Uncle Dick"
The Long Ranger
A Telephoto Lovin' Nikonian

"There are none so blind as those who would not see..."

FThompson

Sans Avatar, US
850 posts

#8. "RE: Purchasing a D700" | In response to Reply # 0

FThompson Registered since 29th Apr 2008
Wed 30-Dec-09 02:14 PM

Hi Bill,
   Looks like you better hurry if you want a D700. Nikonrumors.com thinks that it is being withdrawn in advance of a new offering.

briantilley

Paignton, UK
30235 posts

#9. "RE: Purchasing a D700" | In response to Reply # 8

briantilley Gold Member Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Donor Ribbon awarded for his support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003
Wed 30-Dec-09 03:03 PM

>Nikonrumors.com thinks that it is being
>withdrawn in advance of a new offering.

To be precise, Nikon Rumors has (as is their normal practice) repeated a rumour from elsewhere. They have given this one a "credibility rating" of 40%, for whatever that is worth.

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

dclarhorn

Berwyn Heights, US
14851 posts

#10. "RE: Purchasing a D700" | In response to Reply # 0

dclarhorn Moderator In depth knowledge and high level skills in a variety of areas including landscape Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning a Nikonians Annual Photo Contest Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2015 Nikonian since 31st Mar 2002
Wed 30-Dec-09 04:29 PM

I think it's worth it for the more comfortable grip and the vertical shutter release. The con for some is the extra size and cost. But, at the end of the day, it's what YOU prefer and want.

Dan L.
http://www.danlarussophotography.com/

RRRoger

Monterey Bay, US
3373 posts

#11. "RE: Purchasing a D700" | In response to Reply # 5

RRRoger Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his long history of demonstrated excellence and helping other members with equipment, technique and DSLR video in the true Nikonians spirit. Charter Member
Thu 31-Dec-09 12:59 PM

>I don't think there are any cons. The camera will feel much
>better in portrait with the MB-D10. You are more stable, and
>the added weight helps. It makes for an easier movement when
>switching between portrait and landscape.
>
>Without it, I think you look a bit of an idiot with your right
>elbow stuck up in the air where birds might roost.
>
>Ed T
>
That is how I got that close up Budgie shot with my second camera.

I realize that for most it is the price and not size or weight that attracts them to the D700 over the D3.
I for one think the battery pack adds more weight than benefit.
I find it very easy to just flop my wrist for the occasional vertical shot even with a D3.
However, if you take more than 40% of your shots that way go ahead and get it and the optional EN-EL4 battery holder.

wapiti

austin, US
137 posts

#12. "RE: Purchasing a D700" | In response to Reply # 10

Thu 31-Dec-09 06:17 PM

Thanks guys for taking the time to respond. As of today, 12/31, I have not yet made a purchase.
I would much prefer to buy a good used D3. But, K.J., I have not seen them for >$3K.
I may yet wait and see what is happening at Nikon in the next few months or, wait until next fall and see what's up on the D3 used market.

Bill in Austin, TX

G