Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

How many D700 users also use a point and shoot camera?

colrehogan713

US
246 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
colrehogan713 Registered since 01st Apr 2004
Thu 08-Oct-09 06:03 PM

I am just curious how many D700 users also use a point and shoot camera for when the DSLR kit might get too bulky (for instance, traveling somewhere on an airplane).

Diane

450 mm Nikkor-M rocks!

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

glxman

South Australia, AU
6654 posts

#1. "RE: How many D700 users also use a point and shoot camera?" | In response to Reply # 0

glxman Moderator Awarded for his high level skills, specially in Wildlife & Landscape Photography Nikonian since 04th Oct 2008
Thu 08-Oct-09 07:08 PM

Hi Diane,

Only use a compact camera when out to sea on the boat but when I add a waterproof Pelican case, the D700 will come for the ride as well,

Regards,
Gary

esantos

McAllen, US
13243 posts

#2. "RE: How many D700 users also use a point and shoot camera?" | In response to Reply # 0

esantos Moderator Nikonians Resources Writer. Recognized for his outstanding reviews on printers and printing articles. Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas, including Landscape Photography Awarded for his extraordinary accomplishments in Landscape Photography. His work has been exhibited at the Smithsonian. Nikonian since 10th Nov 2002
Thu 08-Oct-09 07:12 PM

I use my wife's P&S often - when she'll lend it to me.

Ernesto Santos
esartprints.com Ernesto Santos Photography
Get my new e-Book "Churches of Texas"

Donald Kahn

US
266 posts

#3. "RE: How many D700 users also use a point and shoot camera?" | In response to Reply # 0

Donald Kahn Registered since 16th May 2009
Thu 08-Oct-09 07:52 PM

Hi Diane

I wouldn't be without a point and shoot. Not every outing calls for a 200-400 bolted to a D3x. (I don't own either). I take my P&S to social events, out on the golf course, to family gatherings, and other places where all I want are some snapshots or, at least, the ability to catch a shot. I've actually taken a few nice photos that I've enlarged to 13x19. They really don't compare to the D700, but they're not bad. I usually buy a top end camera such as the Canon SD990IS and then upgrade when a better model comes out. I print many of these photos on an Epson Picture Mate Snap, and the people in the pictures are happy to have them. Photography is a great hobby, and there are a lot of ways to have fun with a camera.

Thanks for asking,

Don

migpower

Cartaxo, PT
598 posts

#4. "RE: How many D700 users also use a point and shoot camera?" | In response to Reply # 0

migpower Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning a Nikonians Annual Photo Contest Registered since 18th Jul 2004
Thu 08-Oct-09 08:15 PM

Fuji F11 on the left pocket, she just lives there!

on the right... varies.... normally analog... Nikon 28TI, or 35TI, or Rollei 35 SE or... Ricoh 500 GX..

Don't go out without one!

S, S Brass, S2,S2 BD, F, F Black, FTn, F36, F250 Black, F2 Black, F2A, F2AS Black, F3/T Champagne, F3/T Black, F3P, FG Black, FM2/T, 35TI, 28TI, F4e, F5, D2H, D200... Two Bessa R2S NHS!

Others take pictures, Nikon takes Life with you!

Remember, the World is Analog!!!

My Nikonians Gallery
My Flickr Gallery

agitater

Toronto, CA
4527 posts

#5. "RE: How many D700 users also use a point and shoot camera?" | In response to Reply # 0

agitater Gold Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 18th Jan 2007
Fri 09-Oct-09 12:02 AM

A P&S has traveled with me on every trip for the past five years. For the past 8-10 months it's been either a Panasonic LX3 or a Canon G10. In ideal lighting, both cameras help make very good quality photos. In tough or dim light, a custom white balance usually helps and the built in image stabilization in both cameras also helps compensate for slower shutter speeds and my personal preference not to push a P&S beyond ISO800.

My choice of P&S has nothing to do with carry-on issues. I think most serious amateur and hobbyist photographers travel with w-a-y too much gear. So the rest of my urban exploration travel kit consists of a D700, Nikkor 24-70 f/2.8 and a Nikkor AF-S 50mm f/1.4. Five or six days into any urban walkabout somewhere in Europe and my general plan is so marked up and jumbled that I sometimes leave the heavy stuff in the hotel and just wander galleries and museums, take in a show, etc., etc., for a couple of days, and visit interesting cafes and whatnot armed only with a Moleskine notebook and a P&S. That's usually when I get involved in the most interesting conversations with other travelers, locals and shopkeepers. Those conversations usually generate a lot of new photography ideas. Of course I end up talking to lots of people when I'm carrying the heavier kit too, but those conversations often begin & end with discussions about camera gear - boring when I'm traveling.

I travel so light now (washable, tough, secure Tilley clothing and MEC outerwear and a very specific photography kit) that I carry-on everything, even for long trips and research projects. A Think Tank Urban Disguise 35 for my camera gear, netbook, iPod and Sony eReader, and a Briggs & Riley 20" Superlight roller (U420LC) all go on board with me. I sometimes use either a Victorinox 18" World Traveller roller (WT-18, recently replaced by the slightly larger WT-20) or a Briggs & Riley 18" Superlight roller (U418L) if I know in advance that I'll be flying on regional or commuter jets. They're all great, tough bags which take a tremendous beating without flinching and thus can be safely checked-in if I'm forced to do so (which happens from time to time when local security alerts in different airports limit carry-ons).

My Photo.Net Gallery
My Nikonians Gallery

Howard Carson

colrehogan713

US
246 posts

#6. "RE: How many D700 users also use a point and shoot camera?" | In response to Reply # 5

Fri 09-Oct-09 12:17 AM

Everyone, thanks for your replies. I was just wondering since I had thought about getting that P6000 (or whichever Nikon p&s shoots RAW files) as a traveling camera.

My issues are that it is yet another type of battery and charger to have around the house and it takes different types of cards (different from the D700).

Diane

450 mm Nikkor-M rocks!

tamrokin

Fremantle, AU
359 posts

#7. "RE: How many D700 users also use a point and shoot camera?" | In response to Reply # 6

tamrokin Registered since 09th Feb 2006
Fri 09-Oct-09 01:23 AM

We have just been on the road for 4 months and had a hefty kit of Nikon gear based on the D700 ..... but a last minute inclusion was a G10.

Picked that ahead of the P6000 and quite happy with the choice and image quality. Battery was the biggest hassle as we could not charge two batteries at the same time as we only had 1 European adapter - will take 2 next time.

The G10 is not ultra compact - something of a 'little brick' but was a very capable backup and much more easily carried option. Does allow options when DSLR's are too conspicuous or bulky.

Rob

Black camera, Black lenses, Black bag ...... & NAS Black hole .....

highball

Champaign, US
14 posts

#8. "RE: How many D700 users also use a point and shoot camera?" | In response to Reply # 7

highball Registered since 25th Nov 2006
Fri 09-Oct-09 01:32 AM

I regularly use a Canon G10 when I don't want to carry my D700 or D300. Quality is excellent as long you keep the speed at 200 or less. Pretty much unuseable above that due to noise.

Jim

D800
Fuji X100S
D7100
SP
Leica M7
Leica M9
Leica X1
SB-910

Garrett Hayes

Lucan, Ireland, IE
287 posts

#9. "RE: How many D700 users also use a point and shoot camera?" | In response to Reply # 0

Garrett Hayes Gold Member Nikonian since 03rd Nov 2004
Fri 09-Oct-09 07:55 AM

I have to admit that at times I use a Canon G9. It feels good, reasonably small but the down side is dreadful red eye with the flash and picture quality ... well shall we say that it is not a D700!!

I was on a photographic trip just after I bought it and many of the pro's on the trip really liked it. A few went off and bought the G10 afterwards but I think that 14Meg pixels was really too much for such a small sensor. I see that the new G11 is now back to 10 MP and they say improved noise.

Now, if I can persuade my wife that she really needs the G9, I could maybe look at the G11

GH

RJNPhoto

Athens, US
120 posts

#10. "RE: How many D700 users also use a point and shoot camera?" | In response to Reply # 0

RJNPhoto Basic Member
Fri 09-Oct-09 09:41 AM

I have a Canon G9 that I use from time to time if I do not want to carry my D700 and lenses. The G9 does a good job but for any serious photography I do I stick with the D700.

Robert

bob1217

US
311 posts

#11. "RE: How many D700 users also use a point and shoot camera?" | In response to Reply # 0

bob1217 Registered since 31st Jan 2009
Fri 09-Oct-09 02:40 PM

I have a Nikon P4 and a P90 that I use for special events where my D700 would be totally inappropriate or too hard to lug around, or where I might need to leave the camera unattended for a brief period of time (such as at wedding receptions when the wife drags me onto the dance floor). Or at times when I want to be less obtrusive (as in "no cameras allowed" venues!). Or when travelling abroad when I might want to do some snap-shotty sightseeing. The P4 is a nice all-around pocket camera for the occasions I mentioned. The P90 is less useful for those occasions, in my opinion, as it is a bit more bulky.

MEMcD

US
31324 posts

#12. "RE: How many D700 users also use a point and shoot camera?" | In response to Reply # 0

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007
Fri 09-Oct-09 04:45 PM

Hi Diane,

I use a Nikon S52 for a shirt pocket camera when I don't want to lug the heavier gear or when a DSLR will be overkill.
When I travel, I carry both and then some depending on the nature of the trip.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

gforeman

Winchester, US
239 posts

#13. "RE: How many D700 users also use a point and shoot camera?" | In response to Reply # 0

gforeman Silver Member Nikonian since 02nd Nov 2004
Fri 09-Oct-09 04:57 PM | edited Sun 11-Oct-09 12:03 PM by gforeman

Besides my D700/D300 I have:

Nikon P6000
Canon G10
Lumix DMC-TZ5

I use the P6000 most of the time.

G-Man

richardd300

Dyserth, UK
4509 posts

#14. "RE: How many D700 users also use a point and shoot camera?" | In response to Reply # 12

richardd300 Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2009
Sat 10-Oct-09 12:31 PM

I use the fantastic Nikon Coolpix P6000. In fact sometimes I wonder why I lug my D700 + pro lenses around! The images are crystal, the flexibility of A,P,M, RAW etc. makes this the most sense when travelling and when out with the grandchildren etc. The downside, well flexibility. Doesn't do in flight birds and distant nature photography obviously. For £300 ($450 approx) it's a real gem. The attached image is an example.

Click on image to view larger version

Attachment#1 (jpg file)

Visit my Nikonians gallery

Visit my website www.pixels4u.co.uk
The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing. Einstein

RonAnnArbor

Ann Arbor, US
53 posts

#15. "RE: How many D700 users also use a point and shoot camera?" | In response to Reply # 13

RonAnnArbor Registered since 07th Jun 2006
Sat 10-Oct-09 08:25 PM

I almost always have a point and shoot in my messenger bag -- and in fact, when I go to trips like weekends in NYC, a day at an amusement park, vacations in Walt Disney World, or most recently, even half-a-week in Paris, I leave my D700 at home. I love my D700, but when I go on a trip, I want no equipment with me that weight me down.

I used to use a Canon g9 which I thought was awesome -- but then I saw the IQ and focal length of the Panasonic ZS3 and switched to that -- lots of sample shots in my galleries at ronannarbor.smugmug.com -- all the Paris 09 and Cedar Point 09 pics are with the point and shoot.

The point and shoot even goes in my pocket when I do professional event shots -- you never know when you have only that 24-70 lens on your D700 and you suddenly see a once-in-a-lifetime shot 200 feet away...the ZS3 gets it, even if it isn't the same quality -- you do a little post processing and the customers don't know the difference...

Visit my photos at RonAnnArbor.Smugmug.com

samrat54

Calhoun, US
246 posts

#16. "RE: How many D700 users also use a point and shoot camera?" | In response to Reply # 15

samrat54 Silver Member Nikonian since 24th Mar 2003
Sun 11-Oct-09 12:58 AM

I have a road warrior job, so a lilac Coolpix S210 always rides in the side of my backpack on every trip. I have really enjoyed using it when I get a chance on the road. I also picked up an older Coolpix 5400 on an auction. It's a great little camera that shoots RAW.

Sam

A Georgia Nikonian

briantilley

Paignton, UK
30235 posts

#17. "RE: How many D700 users also use a point and shoot camera?" | In response to Reply # 14

briantilley Gold Member Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Donor Ribbon awarded for his support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003
Sun 11-Oct-09 12:11 PM

Nice shot, Richard!

Would the location be St Ives (the Cornwall one) by any chance...?

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

ssmith583

Las Vegas, US
3 posts

#18. "RE: How many D700 users also use a point and shoot camera?" | In response to Reply # 0

ssmith583 Registered since 02nd Feb 2007
Sun 11-Oct-09 01:10 PM

I use a Nikon P5100 P?S. The small sensor in these cameras yield a large depth of field. This excellent for taking photos of small items that are to be sold on Ebay or photo posted on the web. There are times when you don't won't to carry your DSLR system yet still want to make a snapshot. Such as parties and informal get togethers.

mastertrimix

US
5 posts

#19. "RE: How many D700 users also use a point and shoot camera?" | In response to Reply # 18

mastertrimix Registered since 12th Sep 2009
Sun 11-Oct-09 01:55 PM

My point and shoot is the Iphone--if its a good shot I go back and shoot it with my D700

ctadin

St Louis, US
1360 posts

#20. "RE: How many D700 users also use a point and shoot camera?" | In response to Reply # 19

ctadin Gold Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2008
Sun 11-Oct-09 11:18 PM

Diane,
Hi, I use the Canon G7 and have been quite happy with the results. This model does not shoot RAW, like the newer versions do.

When I have to use my flash, I put a piece of tissue over it to somewhat soften the direct flash. It does have a hotshoe for an external flash, but I have yet to use it in that capacity.

I believe the newer Canon and Nikon are selling for around $450-$500.

Cheryl

BillCoughlin

Leesport, US
188 posts

#21. "RE: How many D700 users also use a point and shoot camera?" | In response to Reply # 0

BillCoughlin Registered since 12th Nov 2008
Wed 14-Oct-09 02:48 PM

Last year I purchased the Canon SX10 IS with the intent that my wife would use it. After seeing how handy the camera is (20 x optical zoom - a 28-560mm equivalent) and the quality of pictures, I'll usually put it in the bag with the D700 and gear. My daughter travels quite a bit, and she borrows this camera - she has some wonderful pictures taken with this camera.
Bill

"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.” ... Dr Seuss

geneluck

Reading, UK
3177 posts

#22. "RE: How many D700 users also use a point and shoot camera?" | In response to Reply # 6

geneluck Silver Member Nikonian since 16th Oct 2004
Wed 14-Oct-09 06:21 PM

Hi,
I traveled 2 months through Thailand,Laos,Vietnam and Cambodia last year with a rucksack and decided to buy the P6000 to take together with my D60 with 18-200 because it has got GPS. I left the D700 at home because it was just too big for this type of travel. In fact, I did not use much the GPS, because it just takes too long to get a signal, but it was really useful to have the P6000 at my belt, ready to go, but I used it only when I could not use the D60.
Jean-luc

P.S: you can see some of these travel pictures at:
http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/jeanlucpepin

Jean-luc

Visit my travel website at http://www.jlpepin.com

merlinus

Northern NM, US
449 posts

#23. "RE: How many D700 users also use a point and shoot camera?" | In response to Reply # 21

merlinus Registered since 16th Apr 2009
Wed 14-Oct-09 07:02 PM

I carry a Canon A590 IS with me when I go kayaking. It fits easily in the inside front pocket of my spraydeck, and if perchance I capsize, it would not be such a great loss.

I set it to around 1/250 shutter priority to compensate for the movement of the boat, and it takes great P&S photos.

-merlin

64-bit Ubuntu Linux - RawTherapee - GIMP

Visit my gallery | My Nikonians gallery

richardd300

Dyserth, UK
4509 posts

#24. "RE: How many D700 users also use a point and shoot camera?" | In response to Reply # 17

Thu 15-Oct-09 08:42 AM

Hello Brian.

Sorry about the delay in replying. Yes, St Ives with my (or should say my wifes) P6000. I am in Wales also, North so get plenty of opportunities for landscapes. Only joined Nikonians recently and find it far more polite than dpreview.

Cheers

Richard

The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing. Einstein

PeteG

US
106 posts

#25. "RE: How many D700 users also use a point and shoot camera?" | In response to Reply # 24

PeteG Registered since 06th Jun 2008
Thu 15-Oct-09 12:22 PM

Hi Diane:

Like many above, I carry a P6000 in my briefcase daily. I have to admit I'm not real happy with the image quality from in though. The raw files are "normal" raw (NRW) and sometimes persnickity when I'm trying to download into Lightroom. I have to admit, the best shots I took with the P6000 were at a concert this summer - go figure?

Don_D

Fenton, US
60 posts

#26. "RE: How many D700 users also use a point and shoot camera?" | In response to Reply # 0

Don_D Gold Member Nikonian since 11th May 2008
Thu 15-Oct-09 12:24 PM

A Canon 780IS is always with me. It's the size of a credit card so it takes up no space. 12mp but the images are a little soft, as a P&S will be. But you NEVER miss a shot. It's always there with me.

colrehogan713

US
246 posts

#27. "RE: How many D700 users also use a point and shoot camera?" | In response to Reply # 25

Wed 21-Oct-09 02:45 PM

>Hi Diane:
>
>Like many above, I carry a P6000 in my briefcase daily. I
>have to admit I'm not real happy with the image quality from
>in though. The raw files are "normal" raw (NRW) and
>sometimes persnickity when I'm trying to download into
>Lightroom. I have to admit, the best shots I took with the
>P6000 were at a concert this summer - go figure?

Pete,
You have hit the nail on the head for me! I am concerned that I will not be happy with the picture quality from a P&S. Also the following things are different from the D700: the RAW file type, the card used in the camera, the battery. You get the picture of what else bugs me about one more piece of electronic equipment.

The whole reason I started this thread is because I am taking a trip (on a plane) next month and, along with a film camera and one lens, I was planning to take the D700 and one lens with me unless there was something more compact out there that compared to the D700. I guess that's like comparing apples to oranges.

Diane

450 mm Nikkor-M rocks!

JohnA_BatonRouge

Baton Rouge, US
78 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to send message via AOL IM

#28. "RE: How many D700 users also use a point and shoot camera?" | In response to Reply # 0

JohnA_BatonRouge Silver Member Nikonian since 06th Aug 2009
Wed 21-Oct-09 04:44 PM

Hi, Diane!
Last year I bought my wife a Lumix LX3 - which she adores. When we travel, we always bring it along because of the really nice files it produces (due to the Leica lens) and the wide capability (24mm). I usually end up with it on my belt inside the little Leica leather case - using it more than she does!
Regards
John

Louisiana Nikonian

photoman39

Woburn, US
20 posts

#29. "RE: How many D700 users also use a point and shoot camera?" | In response to Reply # 0

photoman39 Registered since 29th Jul 2002
Wed 21-Oct-09 06:51 PM

I find myself using my Gxx more and more. All the lugging around with the D700 and lens can really be too much at times. Also walking around with a small camera allows you to blend into the surrounding more easily. I love the images I get with it, in fact I just got a G11... wow.

I tried the P6000 and was not satisfied with the image quality and other things. I shoot only RAW so it is a pain not to be able to use NX2, oh yeah, it doesn't work in MAC OS 10.6 anyway.

Steven

agitater

Toronto, CA
4527 posts

#30. "RE: How many D700 users also use a point and shoot camera?" | In response to Reply # 29

agitater Gold Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 18th Jan 2007
Wed 21-Oct-09 11:00 PM

Of all the things that have come out of the discussion, one thing is absolutely sure - loyal Nikon DLSR and VSLR users are having trouble accepting the less than stellar quality of Nikon P&S cameras. The majority of us seem to have chosen other P&S brands. Nikon would appear to have a great opportunity to make a lot of sales to us when it finally releases a P&S which can go head-to-head with the best from Canon and Panasonic.

Then again, Nikon frequently arrives somewhat late to the party with a better product. Good for us. Unfortunately, the P&S party has been going on for a long time. I'd like to go all-Nikon, but I really enjoy using my non-Nikon P&S quite regularly. Just picked up a G11. Selling my G10.

Maybe it's time for Nikon to pare off some of its tiny-sensor P&S budget in favor of an APS-C P&S project? Leica's done it. Panasonic and Olympus are in the midst of a head's down micro four-thirds push (and the micro four-thirds products seem to be delightful).

I've stopped reviewing Nikon P&S cameras on Kickstartnews.com because they're all of a kind - various feature & function combinations, average ergonomics, average image quality, average looks and average usability. I had high hopes for the P-series, but they just haven't rung the bell. Same things goes for the L- and S-series. When you run out of good things to say about a lineup, best not to say anything more I think.

My Photo.Net Gallery
My Nikonians Gallery

Howard Carson

voyageurfred

Montreal, CA
494 posts

#31. "RE: How many D700 users also use a point and shoot camera?" | In response to Reply # 0

voyageurfred Silver Member Nikonian since 20th Jun 2007
Thu 22-Oct-09 02:24 AM

I admit to trying them, and some produce high quality images like the Canon G10 and Lumix G1, however in the end I'm too much of a perfectionist and would rather take the added weight to get the shot I want, the first time around.

With a D700, plus D300 as backup and four lenses normally in my kit (20-35 f/2.8D, 28-70 f/2.8D AFS, 80-200 f2.8D AFS, 105 f2.8D AF macro) and an Epson P3000 portable HD, plus numerous grad filters, cables etc etc, I have enough gear without adding another charger and batteries as others have mentioned!

I teach photo workshops here in Montréal, and the Canon PowerShot models are popular as an economical entry level cam with many of the participants. They are mostly used for family and travel pics, for which they do the job. For small cameras, the quality is decent, and they even have Exposure (EV) Compensation, though many do not know how to use this good feature to improve their shots!

They do when they finish the course though...

Cheers,
Frederic in Montréal

Nothing ventured... nothing gained!
http://www.RemarkableImages.ca

Piergio

Albano Laziale (Rome), IT
91 posts

#32. "RE: How many D700 users also use a point and shoot camera?" | In response to Reply # 31

Piergio Registered since 04th Jan 2009
Thu 22-Oct-09 09:07 AM

When I travel abroad, my D700 & D90 and their lens stay home, and I wear around my neck a Panasonic TZ5; perfect for my grandsons: very fast plasma/TV music/slideshows. That's all they can stand.

Click on image to view larger version

Nice swimmingpool in Istanbul

Attachment#1 (jpg file)

RonAnnArbor

Ann Arbor, US
53 posts

#33. "RE: How many D700 users also use a point and shoot camera?" | In response to Reply # 32

RonAnnArbor Registered since 07th Jun 2006
Thu 22-Oct-09 04:46 PM

Very nice -- the TZ series is very good...like you, I never take my dSLR's on vacation trips anymore and I have the Panazonic TZ7 (zs3 here in the states)

Every photo in my Paris gallary was taken with this pocket compact camera. Love it:

ronannarbor.smugmug.com/Other/Paris-September-2009/

Visit my photos at RonAnnArbor.Smugmug.com

mdirvin

Crossville, US
260 posts

#34. "RE: How many D700 users also use a point and shoot camera?" | In response to Reply # 0

mdirvin Gold Member Nikonian since 08th Oct 2006
Sat 24-Oct-09 01:35 PM

I do have a P&S, but I don't really like to use it. Probably if I looked around and found one that I liked it would be better. I have kept my D200, and take it along with a couple small primes. (35 f2, 50 f1.4). In most cases that will bet me what I want. It makes a small, and light weight kit.

Mike

seanmolin

Brownsburg, US
2 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to send message via AOL IM

#35. "RE: How many D700 users also use a point and shoot camera?" | In response to Reply # 34

seanmolin Registered since 26th Jan 2009
Fri 20-Nov-09 06:05 PM

My point and shoot is when I remove the MB-10 grip.

Sean Molin | Photographer

voyageurfred

Montreal, CA
494 posts

#36. "RE: How many D700 users also use a point and shoot camera?" | In response to Reply # 35

voyageurfred Silver Member Nikonian since 20th Jun 2007
Fri 20-Nov-09 10:07 PM

"My point and shoot is when I remove the MB-10 grip."

I had to laugh at that one! hehehehe

I never bothered with the grip... its just extra weight, and only one battery at a time is used

Cheers,
Frederic in Montreal

Nothing ventured... nothing gained!
http://www.RemarkableImages.ca

richardd300

Dyserth, UK
4509 posts

#37. "RE: How many D700 users also use a point and shoot camera?" | In response to Reply # 35

Sat 21-Nov-09 09:59 AM

Hi

I use a Nikon Coolpix P6000. The results are tremendous, although the trade off is the limited flexibity in not using various lenses as on my D700. The positive is it's light, great for air travel and very discreet. I wouldn't call it a point and shoot camera though, it's a bit more than that!

Cheers

Richard

Garrett Hayes

Lucan, Ireland, IE
287 posts

#38. "RE: How many D700 users also use a point and shoot camera?" | In response to Reply # 30

Sat 21-Nov-09 11:08 AM

Does anyone think that Nikon might go down the micro four-thirds route? I have been looking at the Olympus Pen EP 1 and now I see it is undated to an EP-2 but I have not yet made a decision. I have two film caneras (remember film?) a Voiglandr Bessa R and an R2, beautiful cameras and three terrific lens, 21mm F4, 35mm F2.5 and a 90mm F3.5. I wonder if these would fit ona micro four-thirds camera? Would be very attractive if they did.

GH

KnightPhoto

Alberta, CA
4955 posts

#39. "RE: How many D700 users also use a point and shoot camera?" | In response to Reply # 38

KnightPhoto Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Dec 2006
Sat 21-Nov-09 02:31 PM

Nikon has applied for various patents this year for a smaller than 4/3 sensor. The patents imply a 2.5 crop. 4/3 is 2.0 crop. Hard to be certain from a patent whether and when Nikon may actually produce such a camera. See NikonRumours website for details, several lenses are mentioned, not sure if interchangeable lenses but I believe this is implied.

With regard to your lenses, I believe a good number of mounting adaptors have been released for m4/3 and chances are good something is out there that will work for you? Disclaimer I am not familiar with the following link, just an example:
http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-Voigtlander--Leica-M-or-Pentax-K--Micro-4%2F3-Adapter_W0QQitemZ280420642876QQcmdZViewItemQQimsxZ20091108?IMSfp=TL091108185002r35484

Anyhow, if I had the lenses you describe and a suitable adapter is available, an EP-1 or EP-2 might be a blast!

Best regards, SteveK

'A camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera.' -- Dorothea Lange
My Nikonians gallery
My Nikonians Blog

avigar

Northern IL, US
523 posts

#40. "RE: How many D700 users also use a point and shoot camera?" | In response to Reply # 37

avigar Registered since 29th Nov 2006
Sat 28-Nov-09 04:06 AM | edited Sat 28-Nov-09 04:10 AM by avigar

I've recently acquired the Canon S90 as my secondary backup/travel camera. I was previously using the Canon SD900, which as been demoted.

BassOverflow

US
419 posts

#41. "RE: How many D700 users also use a point and shoot camera?" | In response to Reply # 0

BassOverflow Registered since 07th Apr 2007
Sat 28-Nov-09 04:47 AM

I have a Panasonic LX3 and will be taking that to Spain instead of my D700, 14-24, and 24-70 like I did last time.

~Joe in Western NC

My Nikonians Gallery.

migpower

Cartaxo, PT
598 posts

#42. "RE: How many D700 users also use a point and shoot camera?" | In response to Reply # 0

migpower Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning a Nikonians Annual Photo Contest Registered since 18th Jul 2004
Mon 30-Nov-09 10:18 PM

Fuji Finepix F11 on the left pocket, Nikon 28TI on the right one... my set out of the bed!

S, S Brass, S2,S2 BD, F, F Black, FTn, F36, F250 Black, F2 Black, F2A, F2AS Black, F3/T Champagne, F3/T Black, F3P, FG Black, FM2/T, 35TI, 28TI, F4e, F5, D2H, D200... Two Bessa R2S NHS!

Others take pictures, Nikon takes Life with you!

Remember, the World is Analog!!!

My Nikonians Gallery
My Flickr Gallery

sadowsky

New York, US
35 posts

#43. "RE: How many D700 users also use a point and shoot camera?" | In response to Reply # 42

sadowsky Donor Ribbon awarded for his support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Registered since 25th Nov 2006
Tue 01-Dec-09 01:37 AM

Canon S90!

dondiego

US
40 posts

#44. "RE: How many D700 users also use a point and shoot camera?" | In response to Reply # 43

dondiego Registered since 29th Oct 2009
Wed 02-Dec-09 01:20 AM

I use my canon G9 100% of the time I made a custom hand made camera leather bag with my initials on it and placed a holster clip on it.
it is always attached to my belt. After twiking the images I get very good 18x24 out of this camera. I only use my nikons for paying jobs.
Don

csgaraglino

Colorado Springs, US
647 posts

#45. "RE: How many D700 users also use a point and shoot camera?" | In response to Reply # 0

csgaraglino Silver Member Charter Member
Wed 02-Dec-09 04:30 AM

I carry a P6000 with me (and on horseback I have a D80)

---
Regards,
Chris Sgaraglino
Outdoor Studios Photography || on Flickr || on Google+

MikeLG

Bonn, DE
79 posts

#46. "RE: How many D700 users also use a point and shoot camera?" | In response to Reply # 0

MikeLG Registered since 14th Oct 2008
Wed 02-Dec-09 09:17 AM

My point and shoot is a D300s with an 18-200 f/3.5-5.6 VR. Not exactly pocket size, but small enough to carry around all day without getting back-ache, same RAW files, same battery (and you get a charger when you buy it, so with the one from the D700 you can charge two at a time) and great quality shots.

Regards,

Mike ~ an Englishman in Bonn, Germany.

Please visit my web site.

And my blog.

cemertin

TR
2 posts

#47. "RE: How many D700 users also use a point and shoot camera?" | In response to Reply # 0

cemertin Registered since 02nd Dec 2009
Wed 02-Dec-09 12:07 PM

Hi Diane,

Very often I have my Ricoh G200, when I am on a short trip or go to a Jazz concert or an event. It is very light and handy cam with all professional facilities. The results are amazing.

Regards....Ceyhun

Aviatorbumm

Naperville, US
868 posts

#48. "RE: How many D700 users also use a point and shoot camera?" | In response to Reply # 0

Aviatorbumm Silver Member Nikonian since 28th Dec 2005
Thu 03-Dec-09 12:41 AM

Hi,

My "light" travel kit is a D300 with either my 35mm f/2 or my 17-35 f/2.8. That doesn't seem light and compact, but it starts to look pretty darn good after hauling around a D700 with a 24-70

I've thought about a P&S a number of times, but I just can't shake my addition to fast glass and a good AF system. If I ever decide that I want even smaller, I'll pick up a D40 or D60 and use it with my 35mm f/2 or 50mm F/1.8. I'll forgo the "benefits" of a P&S with a slow zoom lens for the quality of a D40 class DSLR with a fixed focal length fast lens.

Regards,

Mike

My Pbase Favorites

My Nikonians Gallery

bmunson

San Diego, US
351 posts

#49. "RE: How many D700 users also use a point and shoot camera?" | In response to Reply # 0

bmunson Registered since 04th Apr 2007
Thu 03-Dec-09 07:57 PM

I keep a Pentax Optio 550 in my car and take it on vacation as well. Used to use it exclusively back in my climbing days. Surprisingly good camera.
Barry

The pursuit of photography drives me to go places and see things I otherwise would only view through the eyes of others.

Visit my Nikonians Gallery

KnightPhoto

Alberta, CA
4955 posts

#50. "RE: How many D700 users also use a point and shoot camera?" | In response to Reply # 48

Fri 04-Dec-09 01:04 AM

>I've thought about a P&S a number of times, but I just
>can't shake my addition to fast glass and a good AF system. If
>I ever decide that I want even smaller, I'll pick up a D40 or
>D60 and use it with my 35mm f/2 or 50mm F/1.8. I'll forgo the
>"benefits" of a P&S with a slow zoom lens for
>the quality of a D40 class DSLR with a fixed focal length fast
>lens.
>

I too like the idea of a D40-sized camera with a DX prime or two, but I'd like to see the D300 sensor in the D3000-line of camera. How about a D3100 teamed with the 35mm f1.8 and 85mm f3.5?

And the rumored Nikon patent for an EVIL 2.5 crop camera has me very intrigued also. IIRC one of its rumored lenses is an f1.2 aperture! And according to Nikon Rumors, phase detect autofocus read directly off the image sensor.
http://nikonrumors.com/2009/11/05/nikon-patents-for-this-week-nikon-evil-camera-again.aspx
I must admit though, having clicked on several of the patent links, that they did not seem to be talking about a crop camera at all

Best regards, SteveK

'A camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera.' -- Dorothea Lange
My Nikonians gallery
My Nikonians Blog

Martin G

London, UK
31 posts

#51. "RE: How many D700 users also use a point and shoot camera?" | In response to Reply # 0

Martin G Registered since 12th Sep 2006
Sun 06-Dec-09 12:12 PM | edited Sun 06-Dec-09 12:21 PM by Martin G

I'm always amazed what I can get out of my aging Canon S80. I will usually carry a p&s with my DSLR for times like below (also handy for the odd bit of video). We were out for dinner so I didn't want to be carrying the DSLR. I have this shot printed large and it still looks great!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/silverspark/3323543375/
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3414/3323543375_ab9daa562e_o.jpg

fkrow

US
22 posts

#52. "RE: How many D700 users also use a point and shoot camera?" | In response to Reply # 0

fkrow Silver Member Nikonian since 24th Jul 2007
Tue 15-Dec-09 02:02 AM

Canon G10 with small Sunpack strobe and off camera cord.

I wanted the manual controls and off camera flash, not exactly P&S however, much smaller than the D700 and 5-6 lens in the bag.

Regards,
FK

drbabu2607

League City, US
12 posts

#53. "RE: How many D700 users also use a point and shoot camera?" | In response to Reply # 0

drbabu2607 Registered since 07th Dec 2009
Tue 15-Dec-09 02:37 PM

Canon G10 with speedlight 270EX as dedicated flash unit. Gives me superb images in cases i just do not want to take the D700; the movie option comes in handy occasionally

Cheers, Babu

Lifelong CANON user, Nikon D700 convert since 12/2009
D700 + MB-D10 + SB-900 + NIKKOR 24-70mm/f2.8

lumos

US
13 posts

#54. "RE: How many D700 users also use a point and shoot camera?" | In response to Reply # 53

lumos Registered since 27th Nov 2009
Tue 15-Dec-09 11:34 PM

I really like the Panasonic DMC FX01 we have had for quite a while. It has a wide angle lens that is sharp and the zoom range is handy. It is used all of the time by the family. It is noisy in low light but other than that it is such a handy small camera to carry and use. A sturdy little tool. It can be set to take images with no sound at all, silent. If I can't carry much on a trip it has been the DMC and a Leica M film body. With the D 700 I will still carry around the tiny Panasonic.

-Dai

sdhanson

St. Peter, US
69 posts

#55. "RE: How many D700 users also use a point and shoot camera?" | In response to Reply # 54

sdhanson Gold Member Nikonian since 16th Jan 2006
Fri 18-Dec-09 02:08 AM

I've carried my Nikon Coolpix 7900 around through the ownership of a D70s, D200 and now a D700. There are times the small pocket size is just the thing you need to get the shot without someone turning their head when they see the big hardware come up. I have also used it for close up type photos, when I have a longer lens on the D700.

pboehi

Altstaetten, CH
41 posts

#56. "RE: How many D700 users also use a point and shoot camera?" | In response to Reply # 0

pboehi Registered since 04th Jul 2009
Fri 15-Jan-10 12:12 PM

I always have been using a P&S camera concurrently to my DSLRs, usually a Canon. Currently I use the Canon Powershot S90 and am very happy with it. According to the motto of Jay Maisel "Always carry a camera", I have the Powershot S90 in the pocket of my jacket at all times, in case I bump into a situation worthy to photograph.

When I travel, I carry the Nikon D300s with the 18-200mm lens as "P&S" with me (usually with a GPS to help me remember where I have been).

Only for dedicated shooting sessions I use my D700 with a tripod, filters etc.

As long as you don't need to shoot in very low light or quickly moving things, then current P&S cameras yield excellent results. I look forward to get the new version of DxO which supports the Powershot S90 so I can use its RAW feature.

These days basically you never are without a camera: Your mobile phone (usually an iPhone) has a built in camera, so don't forget that

Visit my Flickr gallery.

DAJolley

US
1300 posts

#57. "RE: How many D700 users also use a point and shoot camera?" | In response to Reply # 0

DAJolley Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Dec 2007
Fri 15-Jan-10 06:47 PM

I've tried a lot of different P&S cameras from Canon (SD800, SD 880, SX3 IS, SX10IS)and Nikon (Coolpix 990, 995, 8700 & 8800) over the years and have never been really happy with the results. When the lighting is good, the images can be quite acceptable, but so often I found myself wanting to take images in less than ideal conditions. Usually, I wish I had the ability to shoot RAW files so that I can manipulate the results in PhotoShop. My current P&S is a Canon SX10IS that has been converted to shoot RAW with the CHDSK hack. That modification has improved things a lot. Even then, I miss the level of control I had with a "real" camera. Another problem I have with P&S cameras is that I find myself accidently activating buttons that change some setting that I'm not aware of.
I finally broke down and bought a D90 with the 18-105 kit lens and that has become my P&S. It's so much lighter and compact than my D700 outfit, it seems like a P&S to me. I have not regretted the move and have not used any of my true P&S cameras since getting the D90.
Dave Jolley

David Jolley
Pickerington, Ohio
Please visit my Website

bbritts

Pittsburgh, US
41 posts

#58. "RE: How many D700 users also use a point and shoot camera?" | In response to Reply # 0

bbritts Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Apr 2009
Sat 16-Jan-10 07:59 PM

I still use a Konica Digital Revio KD-500Z, which is a 5 Mega Pixel camera. Konica went out of the camera business about 5 or 6 years ago, but their camera is still working fine for me. It's also a lot smaller than my D700.

Barb

jinhopark

Bolingbrook, US
112 posts

#59. "RE: How many D700 users also use a point and shoot camera?" | In response to Reply # 58

jinhopark Registered since 24th Mar 2006
Sat 16-Jan-10 09:01 PM

My wife and I have used many point and shoots in our lifetime. We currently have the P6000, but like many P & S camera's it's not that great in low light situations... We realized that for not much larger (but definitely not pocket sized) we can conveniently carry an Oly E-620 with a 25mm pancake lens (which in the 4/3rds world is 50mm).

What a wonderful little camera!!! We are now very anxious to check out other 4/3rds cameras, most notably the Oly EP-2.

DPower

Fayetteville, US
923 posts

#60. "RE: How many D700 users also use a point and shoot camera?" | In response to Reply # 59

DPower Silver Member Nikonian since 01st Jun 2004
Sun 17-Jan-10 07:44 AM

I travel all the time for work. I decided to get a P&S rather than carry the D700 and a few f/2.8 zooms. The bag was getting heavy. Now the bag is heavier ... it has an almost never used G11 in place of something else I never used. I guess I should give the little Canon a chance.
DPower

Garrett Hayes

Lucan, Ireland, IE
287 posts

#61. "RE: How many D700 users also use a point and shoot camera?" | In response to Reply # 0

Sun 17-Jan-10 04:22 PM

Bit the bullet yesterday and bought a Canon G11. I was holding out for an Olympus EP-2 but not yet available here. I had a coulpe of vouchers for a local camera store which I had to useand so yesterday I bought the G 11. Seems really nice, far too early to tell how good it really is.

GH

wcguy

CA
44 posts

#62. "RE: How many D700 users also use a point and shoot camera?" | In response to Reply # 61

wcguy Silver Member Nikonian since 27th Nov 2009
Sun 17-Jan-10 08:01 PM

Had my Pentax Optio 555 for several years, it takes fabulous quick snap pictures.I carry the Pentax 555 and also my Pentax *istD with a 12-24 lens on it at all times while up north at my camp.Bears ,moose and many other wild animals pop up at any given time while I travel around on my ATV, so those two cameras are used for quick access for quick pictures. My new D700 and lenses will be going on my back on my future trips, which I am still in the process of learning all I can about. Read 3 books ,two DVD's, manual and now taking many trial pictures.(There is much to learn and do with the D700, can't see giving it up for a long time)Though I will always take the other two cameras along on all my trips back in woods, they were good units in their time and worth more to me than a few bucks they unfortuneately would sell for today.

'ITS WHAT YOU LEARN AFTER YOU KNOW IT ALL THAT COUNTS'

xtrememac

Andover, US
278 posts

#63. "RE: How many D700 users also use a point and shoot camera?" | In response to Reply # 0

xtrememac Silver Member Nikonian since 05th Jan 2006
Sun 17-Jan-10 08:04 PM

I adore my Leica D-LUX 4. The lens is super sharp, the autofocus is the fastest and most accurate of any small camera I have seen, and the image quality is stellar.

I like to point folks at the website that sold me on the camera last year, because it contains some great opinion (even comparing this $700 camera to his own $7000 M8) as well as superb photos:

http://www.boxedlight.com/dlux4/index.htm

If you look at Jim's work and read his conclusions on the camera, my thoughts are now the same. It has become my personal favorite camera, and probably the best value for money item Leica has ever sold.

It is completely silent, in my pocket always, good in low light, and completely unobtrusive. Plus it will sync on a hotshoe with a Nikon SB (locking pin fits too) to 1/2000 at full power, and shoot 16:9 HD movies.

The most amazing part of this camera to me is that its camera jpegs are better than any camera I have ever seen. I shoot RAW + JPEG with this and I hardly ever bother to touch the RAW the jpg are so good. big time saver, super on vacations.

Sincerely,

K. J. Doyle

Frenchpro

US
5 posts

#64. "RE: How many D700 users also use a point and shoot camera?" | In response to Reply # 61

Frenchpro Registered since 30th Jul 2009
Sun 17-Jan-10 10:26 PM

Just purchased the Cannon S90. It is awsome. It even will shoot raw. My D700 and 24-70 is great but can be too heavy at times. I am also very impressed with the color and white balance of the cannon s90. I have several Nikon point and shoots but the white balance is always a little blue for my tast. Love the D700 but hate the weigh.

KnightPhoto

Alberta, CA
4955 posts

#65. "RE: How many D700 users also use a point and shoot camera?" | In response to Reply # 64

Sun 17-Jan-10 11:01 PM

Pierre, I recommend you try one of the straps that cause the camera to hang in back, at the small of your back - Black-Rapid, R-Strap, or Kirk.

My Black-Rapid is truly revolutionary in it's ability to make the D700/24-70 feel like 'its not even there' when walking around.

Best regards, SteveK

My Nikonians gallery
My Nikonians Blog

markharr

Uppsala, SE
100 posts

#66. "RE: How many D700 users also use a point and shoot camera?" | In response to Reply # 0

markharr Registered since 27th Oct 2004
Tue 19-Jan-10 05:54 AM

After 35 years of carrying an SLR most places, I finally bought an S90 because the size and quality had reached my thresholds. A week later I was on a short walk in miserable weather so had only that in my pocket when I came across a local group who had restored an historical cabin and were having a candlelit coffee morning. With ISO 400, VR, raw, and -2 flash fill I was able to unobtrusively take decent pics that captured the atmosphere, and the group were so pleased that I became their official photographer, and will follow their work with my 700.

markh

http://frozentime.se

geneluck

Reading, UK
3177 posts

#67. "RE: How many D700 users also use a point and shoot camera?" | In response to Reply # 0

geneluck Silver Member Nikonian since 16th Oct 2004
Wed 20-Jan-10 08:43 AM | edited Wed 20-Jan-10 08:45 AM by geneluck

I use a P6000 and am very happy with it. I cannot use P&S with LCD only: I personally cannot frame properly or capture people's expressions without an optical finder. When I traveled to Asia I started only with my P6000, but I asked my wife who was joining me for a short while in Vietnam to bring my D60, the D700 being too bulky. I must say that from then on, I only used the P6000 when I needed a quick shot or to be as unobtrusive as possible:I had it in a small pouch, constently attached to my belt.

If you are interested in some of the results. go to my picasa web albums and look for the pictures taken in LAOS, where I had only the P6000 :
http://picasaweb.google.com/jeanlucpepin
Jean-luc

Jean-luc

Visit my travel website at http://www.jlpepin.com

Vhemi

Vancouver, CA
222 posts

#68. "RE: How many D700 users also use a point and shoot camera?" | In response to Reply # 0

Vhemi Registered since 24th Jun 2009
Wed 20-Jan-10 09:26 AM

At last count I have four digital point and shoot cameras, two of them water and shock proof (at least in theory), and I make a reasonably ernest attempt to have a camera in my pocket at all times.

My current favorite is the Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS1 and I consider it my "running" camera.

Lately, however, I've been rather obsessive about taking photos every day with my Apple iPhone 3GS.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/27599863@N04/sets/72157623054020609/

The iPhone and its 3 MP continue to surprise me... in a good way.

Cheers, Vince Hemingson
www.fiftyinphotos.com

ComicDom1

US
13 posts

#69. "RE: How many D700 users also use a point and shoot camera?" | In response to Reply # 0

ComicDom1 Registered since 01st Dec 2009
Fri 22-Jan-10 06:09 AM

I recently took a trip to Jamaica and bought a Canon D10 Point and Shoot camera. I can tell you that I am not a fan of point and shoot cameras but this little Canon has really impressed me. Of course I did understand that in low light I was going to deal with noise so I did understand what I was buying. So far my experience has been very positive and this camera can even go 30 feet under the water without a housing. So it is perfect for snorkeling and shallow dives as well as sunsets. It seems to do very well for portraits in good light. Toss in the fact that it is image stabilized and you have a nice travel camera.

Jason

Reporter

US
4 posts

#70. "RE: How many D700 users also use a point and shoot camera?" | In response to Reply # 0

Reporter Registered since 27th Jul 2009
Fri 22-Jan-10 04:29 PM

I bought a Leica D-lux 4 camera. in low light the auto-focus is not able to pick up the subject very well and I end up with out of focus subjects. It is better than using my cellphone and therefore I carry it everywhere.

jlnewland

UK
10 posts

#71. "RE: How many D700 users also use a point and shoot camera?" | In response to Reply # 0

jlnewland Registered since 06th Aug 2009
Sun 24-Jan-10 05:35 AM

I keep a brilliant little Canon G11 around. It's nice to have in case a photo opportunity presents itself. And because it shoots video.

Funny, I always *wish* I were shooting my D700 when I use it, though.

Visit me at www.lightshopphoto.com

Alx

Nashville, US
391 posts

#72. "RE: How many D700 users also use a point and shoot camera?" | In response to Reply # 71

Alx Registered since 19th Nov 2005
Mon 25-Jan-10 01:34 AM

Lumix pocket camera ... by Panasonic, with Leica designed lens ....

Previously Casio pocket cameras .....

G