Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

When to switch Flash Sync Speed to 1/320 FP?????

hollingwD80

Hartselle, US
432 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
hollingwD80 Registered since 30th Apr 2008
Fri 25-Sep-09 01:19 PM

Hello:

I was wondering......The D700 default Flash Sync Speed is 1/250 FP. When would you switch it to 1/320 FP.

That speed seems kinda redundant.....If you set the camera to Auto FP, then you could use ANY SS.

Why would you want to just bump the default up by one stop to 1/320??

Thanks,
Rich

nrothschild

US
10916 posts

#1. "RE: When to switch Flash Sync Speed to 1/320 FP?????" | In response to Reply # 0

nrothschild Neil is an expert in several areas, including camera support Registered since 25th Jul 2004
Fri 25-Sep-09 12:29 PM

As soon as you go past 1/320s you will lose a huge amount of flash power. I shoot at 1/320s to get the maximum flash power and shortest shutter speed possible, which is important with ambient sunlight images.

Nikonians Team
My Gallery

Donald Kahn

US
266 posts

#2. "RE: When to switch Flash Sync Speed to 1/320 FP?????" | In response to Reply # 0

Donald Kahn Registered since 16th May 2009
Fri 25-Sep-09 02:45 PM | edited Fri 25-Sep-09 02:48 PM by Donald Kahn

According to one of the authors of "Mastering the Nikon D700," James Johnson and Darrel Young, there is no downside to using 1/320 FP. I don't have the book in front of me, but as I recall he mentioned that you would be ready to shoot fill flash in a brightly lit situation such as at the beach. He said that he uses that setting on his D700, so I set it for the same on mine.

Don

BassOverflow

US
419 posts

#3. "RE: When to switch Flash Sync Speed to 1/320 FP?????" | In response to Reply # 0

BassOverflow Registered since 07th Apr 2007
Fri 25-Sep-09 04:07 PM

I keep my D700 on 1/320 FP all the time.

~Joe in Western NC

My Nikonians Gallery.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

MichaelAlan

Lancaster, US
355 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to send message via AOL IM

#4. "RE: When to switch Flash Sync Speed to 1/320 FP?????" | In response to Reply # 1

MichaelAlan Registered since 25th Sep 2008
Tue 29-Sep-09 03:19 AM | edited Tue 29-Sep-09 03:19 AM by MichaelAlan

>As soon as you go past 1/320s you will lose a huge amount of
>flash power. I shoot at 1/320s to get the maximum flash power
>and shortest shutter speed possible, which is important with
>ambient sunlight images.

You are 110% correct about losing huge amounts of flash power... However, using FP flash (AKA high speed sync) allows you to shoot wide open with your lenses so in essence, you do manage to get "most" of that light back.

If you were shooting without FP (say a generic speedlight in Manual mode off camera triggered with a PocketWizard) then you may be in need of shooting at 1/250" at f/11 to expose your subject properly. 4 AA batteries cannot put out f/11 power unless the subject is basically right on top of the flash.

With high speed sync, we can dial our aperture down to f/2.8 (or lower if need be-lens permitting) and gain an extra X stops of light in the aperture department. That would allow us (in FP sync) the ability to shoot at much faster shutter speeds.

Remember, the flash power, flash to subject distance, ISO and Aperture control the amount of presence your flash has in your image. All the shutter speed does is dials down the ambient.

-----------------------------------
Photography Workshops: www.inlightinworkshop.com

My Photography: www.ParamourPhoto.com
My Blog: www.ParamourPhoto.net

hollingwD80

Hartselle, US
432 posts

#5. "RE: When to switch Flash Sync Speed to 1/320 FP?????" | In response to Reply # 3

hollingwD80 Registered since 30th Apr 2008
Wed 30-Sep-09 09:23 PM | edited Thu 01-Oct-09 09:30 PM by hollingwD80

Yeah! That doesn't make sense to me either. I'm no flash expert either, but....

It has been pounded into me by now that SS controls the ambient portion of the exposure, and Aperture controls the flash contribution. So....if thats true, then why would bumping the SS from 1/250th to 1/320th burn up huge amounts of flash power.....Does not compute.......

Please explain.

Rich

ScottChapin

Powder Springs/ATL, US
9071 posts

#6. "RE: When to switch Flash Sync Speed to 1/320 FP?????" | In response to Reply # 5

ScottChapin Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in various areas, including Aviation and Birds Photography Charter Member
Wed 30-Sep-09 10:44 PM

The flash has to fire more pulses to sync up. For the flash cyclic rate to increase, it has to reduce the pulse durations and therefore reduce flash power.

Scott Chapin
Powder Springs, GA, USA

Nikonians Team Member

G