Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Anyone converted a D700 to infrared ?

weeks82

Anchorage, US
535 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
weeks82 Registered since 22nd Aug 2007
Mon 25-May-09 03:29 PM

Just wondering if anyone has converted their D700 to infrared via LifePixel or similar service.

I had a D300 converted last year and have been very dissapointed with the results, compared to my old infrared D50.

Any help would be appreciated.

kuku

Jeddah, SA
1686 posts

#1. "RE: Anyone converted a D700 to infrared ?" | In response to Reply # 0

kuku Basic Member
Tue 26-May-09 06:18 PM

I still have my D70, IR modified. After I modified I just got bored of the IR effect all of the sudden. I would never think of IRing my D700. No way!

My Nikonians Gallery
www.kukuphoto.com

Click on image to view larger version

MEMcD

US
31603 posts

#2. "RE: Anyone converted a D700 to infrared ?" | In response to Reply # 0

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007
Tue 26-May-09 08:28 PM

Hi Brian,

Unless you are shooting a Huge amount of IF that would be a very expensive proposition! Just not worth doing, unless there is a specific need.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

weeks82

Anchorage, US
535 posts

#3. "RE: Anyone converted a D700 to infrared ?" | In response to Reply # 2

weeks82 Registered since 22nd Aug 2007
Tue 26-May-09 08:31 PM

It's not the money I'm worried about. I'm just wondering if the results are decent. Like I said I had my D300 converted and find it very hard to get good results out of it and I've heard similar reports from other converted D300's. I'm just wondering if anyone has converted a D700 and are happy with the results. With my current lens selection it makes much more sense to have a full frame camera.

Thanks!

Len Shepherd

Yorkshire, UK
12722 posts

#4. "RE: Anyone converted a D700 to infrared ?" | In response to Reply # 0

Len Shepherd Gold Member Nikonian since 09th Mar 2003
Wed 27-May-09 09:47 AM

>Just wondering if anyone has converted their D700 to infrared
All I know is cameras like the D70 were sensitive to IR, incorporated an IR cut out, and fitting a new sensor without an IR cut out, whilst expensive, worked.
It is possible newer cameras like the D300 and D700 sensors are a lot less IR sensitive and have a lower strength or perhaps no IR filter. If so the IR effect will be a lot less effective after conversion.
IR film is still available so a second hand film body and IR filter for the lens is an alternative that works.

Photography is a bit like archery. A technically better camera, lens or arrow may not hit the target as often as it could if the photographer or archer does not practice enough.

Len Shepherd

Pete Wilson

Lake Orion, US
890 posts

#5. "RE: Anyone converted a D700 to infrared ?" | In response to Reply # 0

Pete Wilson Gold Member Winner in the Annual Nikonians Best Images Contest 2015 Nikonian since 27th Jun 2004
Wed 27-May-09 01:42 PM

The only person I know with a converted D700 is Rick Hulbert (rhulbert on Nikonians). Look him up and send him a message. He is a very nice guy. He had his done by LifePixel.

Pete Wilson
Nikonian from Lake Orion, Michigan
My Nikonians gallery

Nikonians membership - My most important photographic investment, after the
camera

dieseldavey

Cheshire, UK
14 posts

#6. "RE: Anyone converted a D700 to infrared ?" | In response to Reply # 5

dieseldavey Registered since 06th Aug 2006
Fri 29-May-09 05:25 AM

I would like to have my D700 converted but not sure where to have it done in the UK. I am dissatisfied with my D700 so what you loose in selling the camera I might as well get it done. Any one know where in the UK it can be done. Thanks

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

G