Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

When will the D700X be released?

RRRoger

Monterey Bay, US
3373 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
RRRoger Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his long history of demonstrated excellence and helping other members with equipment, technique and DSLR video in the true Nikonians spirit. Charter Member
Thu 14-May-09 12:44 AM

Because the D3 is so much better, I will not even be interested in buying a D700 until the 24mp version with FullFrame video comes out for $4,000.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

MEMcD

US
31305 posts

#1. "RE: When will the D700X be released?" | In response to Reply # 0

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007
Thu 14-May-09 02:53 AM

Hi Roger,

Just a guess, but I would think no sooner than August or September at the earliest.
But time will tell!
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

RRRoger

Monterey Bay, US
3373 posts

#2. "RE: When will the D700X be released?" | In response to Reply # 1

RRRoger Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his long history of demonstrated excellence and helping other members with equipment, technique and DSLR video in the true Nikonians spirit. Charter Member
Thu 14-May-09 11:33 AM | edited Fri 15-May-09 12:36 PM by RRRoger

I expect the announcement this September and availability in December.
I just don't know what extra features to expect.
My Guess is:
D700 body
Tilt 3" LCD monitor
24mp D3X sensor
Higher ISO range than D3X
Upgraded firmware with a lot more features.
FullFrame video
Price $4,000+

torags

US
325 posts

#3. "RE: When will the D700X be released?" | In response to Reply # 2

torags Registered since 06th Jan 2007
Thu 14-May-09 01:17 PM

Hmmm..... 24mp FF with video? That would probably be in front of CF card tech.

That's a tech challenge

Rags

RRRoger

Monterey Bay, US
3373 posts

#4. "RE: When will the D700X be released?" | In response to Reply # 3

Thu 14-May-09 02:19 PM

I imagine that FullFrame video will be at HD definition. That is considerably less than 24mp but there will be lots of other advantages of video on a FullFrame camera. Hopefully AutoFocus will be one of them.

torags

US
325 posts

#5. "RE: When will the D700X be released?" | In response to Reply # 4

torags Registered since 06th Jan 2007
Thu 14-May-09 09:24 PM | edited Thu 14-May-09 09:25 PM by torags

I have a D90 and one of my concerns was the life of the shutter. I imagine the age/life of shutters will be a lot less if movies get used more.

Good thing they developed in cam lens cleaning, my guess is the magnetic field created by extensive movie use would collect a lot of dust in cam

Rags

pardonator

UK
1 posts

#6. "RE: When will the D700X be released?" | In response to Reply # 5

pardonator Registered since 05th May 2009
Fri 15-May-09 08:59 AM

With movies though doesn't the mirror flip up? So it's getting even less use than if you were taking photos during that time...

briantilley

Paignton, UK
30235 posts

#7. "RE: When will the D700X be released?" | In response to Reply # 5

briantilley Gold Member Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Donor Ribbon awarded for his support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003
Fri 15-May-09 12:10 PM

>I imagine the age/life of shutters will be a lot less
>if movies get used more.

In movie mode on the D90 and D5000, the mirror stays up and the shutter stays open whilst a movie is being recorded.

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

RRRoger

Monterey Bay, US
3373 posts

#8. "RE: When will the D700X be released?" | In response to Reply # 7

Fri 15-May-09 12:29 PM | edited Fri 15-May-09 12:33 PM by RRRoger

Just curious.

Do you think the camera is holding the mirror up (thus using power or strain on the shutter) or does it just flip it to a new position?

It makes a loud clatter/crash when closed. I imagine this would shorten shutter life.

blw

Richmond, US
28563 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to send message via AOL IM

#9. "RE: When will the D700X be released?" | In response to Reply # 0

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004
Sat 16-May-09 03:16 PM

Did you mean the D3x? The D700 and D3 are almost identical in results, other than AF speed.

If you mean the D3x, be aware that it will put the utmost demands on your lenses and technique. Without top-shelf glass and pristine technique, D3x images might well come out less usable than something shot at only 12mp. Some folks have taken to using PC-E lenses to get DOF, rather than attempting to stop down - that's how extreme this gets.

_____
Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member

My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!

RRRoger

Monterey Bay, US
3373 posts

#10. "RE: When will the D700X be released?" | In response to Reply # 9

Sun 17-May-09 03:51 AM

I mean the next, cheaper, smaller bodied camera with the 24mp sensor.

Yes of course, the higher resolution will show more detail. Thus all user errors or lense defects will be more noticeable. I remember this being the most noticeable problem of upgrading from a D2H to a D2X. It also forced me to become a better photographer so I welcome that challenge.

I just cannot justify $8,000 for a D3X. So, I am hoping for a cheaper made version with more features (tilt screen viewer, FullFrame video, etc.) to come out for half the price.

briantilley

Paignton, UK
30235 posts

#11. "RE: When will the D700X be released?" | In response to Reply # 10

briantilley Gold Member Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Donor Ribbon awarded for his support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003
Sun 17-May-09 06:50 AM

I think Brian was querying where you originally said that:

Because the D3 is so much better, I will not even be interested in buying a D700...

I found that confusing too. In terms of sensor performance and most aspects of image quality, the D3 and D700 are pretty much identical.

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

RRRoger

Monterey Bay, US
3373 posts

#12. "RE: When will the D700X be released?" | In response to Reply # 11

Sun 17-May-09 11:12 AM

>I think Brian was querying where you originally said that:
>
>Because the D3 is so much better, I will not even be
>interested in buying a D700...

>
>I found that confusing too. In terms of sensor performance
>and most aspects of image quality, the D3 and D700 are pretty
>much identical.

I took an engine out of a wrecked Corvette and put it in a Falcon. Do you think that made the Ford Falcon car equal to the Chevy Corvette?

Differences:
D3 cost twice as much
Heavier with twice the build
Dual Processors
Dual Card slots
Double the battery power
Double the image production.
Double the shutter life
Double the shooting speed

The D700 starts catching up on some of these with the En-El-4 battery pack, but now you have a bigger heavier camera that does not handle as well as the D3. The self cleaning sensor may be useful if video is added to the D700X but my D3 sensor did not need cleaning after shooting 16 months of dusty MotoCross. It was automatically cleaned by Nikon when I sent it in for the buffer upgrade and afterward I could see a tiny speck in the corner than went away after a few hundred shots.

If I were going to use the Camera for commercial work, I would get the D3X now instead of waiting for the D700X. However, FullFrame Video may have some profitable applications for me. That possibility plus the probability of light use, makes the wait for a cheaper camera prudent.

So, when will I be able to purchase an affordable 24mp Nikon with Video?

Iceman15613

Apollo, US
476 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to send message via AOL IM

#13. "RE: When will the D700X be released?" | In response to Reply # 12

Iceman15613 Silver Member Nikonian since 30th Oct 2005
Sun 17-May-09 06:05 PM

If you want to take movies and rotate the viewer, why not just buy a point and shoot or a dedicated video camera?

briantilley

Paignton, UK
30235 posts

#14. "RE: When will the D700X be released?" | In response to Reply # 12

Sun 17-May-09 08:19 PM

Yes, the D3 has advantages ov the D700.

You said that you'd be prepared to get a future D700X, which would presumably have all the same drawbacks (compared to a D3X) as the D700 does (compared to a D3).

I still don't understand the logic, but it's not worth worrying about...

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

RRRoger

Monterey Bay, US
3373 posts

#15. "RE: When will the D700X be released?" | In response to Reply # 14

Sun 17-May-09 11:14 PM

Response to #13 I have had 4 dedicated video cameras. I do not want to carry both. Video is only secondary in importance to high quality stills for me. Plus, I like the D90 videos better than what I got with tape, DVD or memory card camcorders. I hope an affordable FullFrame Nikon with video will be available soon.

Response to #14 I cannot afford a D3X. If a D3X with video came out for $4000, I would try to be first on the waiting list. Or if my business use could justify the expense, I would have no problem paying much more.

edoruan

New York, US
724 posts

#16. "RE: When will the D700X be released?" | In response to Reply # 15

edoruan Basic Member
Mon 18-May-09 04:34 PM

RRR, you own one or two D3, I think? The D3 and the D700 are great travel, walk-around, available-light cameras. Almost noiseless high-ISO images can be had at 800 to 1600 with both. This is not at all the case with the D3x; you must keep the ISO low to control noise because of all those extra pixels. I would have zero interest in a D700x with 24 MP.

Edo

RRRoger

Monterey Bay, US
3373 posts

#17. "RE: When will the D700X be released?" | In response to Reply # 16

Mon 18-May-09 05:05 PM | edited Mon 18-May-09 05:22 PM by RRRoger

>RRR, you own one or two D3, I think? The D3 and the D700 are
>great travel, walk-around, available-light cameras. Almost
>noiseless high-ISO images can be had at 800 to 1600 with both.
> This is not at all the case with the D3x; you must keep the
>ISO low to control noise because of all those extra pixels. I
>would have zero interest in a D700x with 24 MP.

I now have two D3 bodies and a D90

Unless the D700X was a remarkable upgrade at a comparably low price it could not replace the D3 for my Event Photography.

I want it to replace the D90
24 mp for Travel Landscape & Architectural pictures.
FullFrame Video for those short burst I sometimes take when there is a spontaneous Photo Opportunity.
clean ISO 1600 would probably be enough, but 3200 would not surprise me.

Perhaps, Nikon will come out with two new cameras. A D700X with 24mp sensor and a D700V with 12mp sensor and FullFrame Video?

edoruan

New York, US
724 posts

#18. "RE: When will the D700X be released?" | In response to Reply # 17

edoruan Basic Member
Mon 18-May-09 11:36 PM

Back in the day, I used to travel with a heavy tripod and a large duffel bag filled with ASA (ISO) 25 Kodachrome. In many ways, those were simpler times (except for my lower back pains). Now, since 9/11, using a tripod in a lot of public areas is very iffy. I routinely do a lot more handholding. I also shoot color where I used to shoot Tri-X B&W.

So I've been waiting for a DSLR that's capable of producing noiseless images at high ISOs. The D3, D700 and D90 can do that.

Edo

nakphoto

GR
1 posts

#19. "RE: When will the D700X be released?" | In response to Reply # 18

nakphoto Registered since 19th May 2009
Tue 19-May-09 06:22 PM

On the other hand, if D700x or D800...900...name it as you wish, has 24mp and will cost 4000$ then how will it "hit" canon eos-5d mkII, which stands now without any competitor from Nikon...I think -hope- that Nikon's 24mp response shall come soon , that's what i am waiting for and i am not buying d700...let's see...

RRRoger

Monterey Bay, US
3373 posts

#20. "RE: So, when will the D700X be released?" | In response to Reply # 19

Fri 31-Jul-09 12:08 PM | edited Fri 31-Jul-09 12:27 PM by RRRoger

I see the D300s has been announced.
It has video with AF.
It also has the newer technology of the D90 and more.
It does not have the 14-16mp DX sensor some expected.

1. Are technical difficulties with FX video at HD resolution (1080) what is holding up the D700X?

2. Will a 700s come out first with HD 1920x1080 AF video and manual controls?

3. Would a 700x at $3,000 to compete with the Alpha and 5D be unprofitable?

4. Is Nikon holding off so as not to cannibalize D3X sales?

Iceman15613

Apollo, US
476 posts

#21. "RE: So, when will the D700X be released?" | In response to Reply # 20

Fri 31-Jul-09 12:52 PM

Does anybody know if it is going to be built in Sendai this time around?

RRRoger

Monterey Bay, US
3373 posts

#22. "RE: So, when will the D700X be released?" | In response to Reply # 21

Fri 31-Jul-09 01:07 PM

>Does anybody know if it is going to be built in Sendai this
>time around?

Sendai Japan?
Where is the D700 built now?

Iceman15613

Apollo, US
476 posts

#23. "RE: So, when will the D700X be released?" | In response to Reply # 22

Fri 31-Jul-09 01:38 PM

You misunderstood. I meant the new 300S. My fault. I was hoping that Nikon would take the 300 back to Sendai. The D700 is already built at that location. as is the D3. The D300 was built in Thailand and for that reason, was of no interest to me.

RRRoger

Monterey Bay, US
3373 posts

#24. "RE: So, when will the D700X be released?" | In response to Reply # 23

Fri 31-Jul-09 01:56 PM

>You misunderstood. I meant the new 300S. My fault. I was
>hoping that Nikon would take the 300 back to Sendai. The D700
>is already built at that location. as is the D3. The D300 was
>built in Thailand and for that reason, was of no interest to
>me.

Many in this forum will dispute this, but I think their quality control is really lacking in Thailand.
They will, no doubt, quote that the specs are the same.
Their priorities outside Japan seem to be profit and price.
If you are not lucky, you may not get a good copy.
Both, my D300 and Nikkor 70-300 VR were not good.

LMMiller9

Potomac, US
1168 posts

#25. "RE: So, when will the D700X be released?" | In response to Reply # 20

LMMiller9 Silver Member Nikonian since 18th Dec 2005
Fri 31-Jul-09 02:47 PM

I have trouble telling whether these messages are tongue in cheek or serious. I think some are responding seriously to what is a joke.

Let us hope that Nikon does NOT come out with any professional DSLR with video. It is fundamentally a dumb idea. For the low end consumer market who think more of anything is better, fine. Why not a cell phone with HD video?

I suggest that anyone who wants to shoot video go to Best Buy and look at the HD Sony and Canon camcorders for around $500. A much better choice for video.

I hope the next version of the D700, which I love, has a new sensor with 15-20 mgpixels, AND maintain the same great low light performance. If it loses the low light/hi ISO performance, as on the D3x, it is a DOWNGRADE, not an upgrade.

Larry Miller, Potomac, MD
DF/D810
http://lmmillerphotography.smugmug.com/

RRRoger

Monterey Bay, US
3373 posts

#26. "RE: So, when will the D700X be released?" | In response to Reply # 25

Fri 31-Jul-09 03:11 PM

The same people argue a D300 is a Professional Camera instead of a camera sometimes used by Professionals.
It now has video.

Perhaps they will come out with a D700X at 24mp
and a D700s at 12mp with HD Video.

Iceman15613

Apollo, US
476 posts

#27. "RE: So, when will the D700X be released?" | In response to Reply # 24

Fri 31-Jul-09 03:47 PM

>You will and I are on the same page. You will hear from a couple of very vociferous defenders of this outsourcing. I had concluded that I would possibly consider the body if it was returned to Sendai. I have problems with the entire concept of outsourcing. To make it worse, it appears that Nikon is also trying to turn this model into a video camera. I suppose that a deal with Wal-Mart is on the horizon. (Suppressed snicker.)
>Many in this forum will dispute this, but I think their
>quality control is really lacking in Thailand.
>They will, no doubt, quote that the specs are the same.
>Their priorities outside Japan seem to be profit and price.
>If you are not lucky, you may not get a good copy.
>Both, my D300 and Nikkor 70-300 VR were not good.
>

Iceman15613

Apollo, US
476 posts

#28. "RE: So, when will the D700X be released?" | In response to Reply # 25

Fri 31-Jul-09 03:50 PM

>If the D70 ?) rolls in at $4,000.00 less than the D3x but uses the same sensor, I would still consider that an upgrade. After all, we have our D3's and D700's for high ISO.
>I hope the next version of the D700, which I love, has a new
>sensor with 15-20 mgpixels, AND maintain the same great low
>light performance. If it loses the low light/hi ISO
>performance, as on the D3x, it is a DOWNGRADE, not an upgrade.
>

Voodoo

US
2979 posts

#29. "RE: When will the D700X be released?" | In response to Reply # 0

Voodoo Registered since 29th Apr 2006
Fri 31-Jul-09 06:03 PM

4k still too high for me which means nikon will price it at 5k so I dont even worry about an upgrade.

I like the idea of disposable bodies (every 2 years or so) but at under 3k. mainly because technology moves so fast.

Thanks for sharing,

Jeff

mwhals

Winfield, US
1664 posts

#31. "RE: When will the D700X be released?" | In response to Reply # 0

mwhals Silver Member Nikonian since 18th Apr 2004
Sat 01-Aug-09 11:54 AM

I for one do not want video in my camera body. If I am buying a high end body, I am wanting it for stills. If I want video, I will buy a much better video camera for much less money.

Shoot nature with respect and don't trample it or startle its inhabitants. :)

gwelland

Vancouver, US
304 posts

#32. "RE: When will the D700X be released?" | In response to Reply # 0

gwelland Silver Member Nikonian since 23rd Apr 2003
Mon 03-Aug-09 02:53 AM

I suspect you may see more resolution OR video in a new D700 version but I'd be very surprised if you got both.

------
Graham

KnightPhoto

Alberta, CA
4954 posts

#33. "RE: When will the D700X be released?" | In response to Reply # 31

KnightPhoto Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Dec 2006
Mon 03-Aug-09 03:21 AM

In order to compete with the 5Dmkii, I believe the D700X must come with video.

Best regards, SteveK
My Nikonians gallery
'A camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera.' -- Dorothea Lange

RRRoger

Monterey Bay, US
3373 posts

#34. "RE: When will the D700X be released?" | In response to Reply # 32

Mon 03-Aug-09 03:55 AM | edited Mon 03-Aug-09 09:07 AM by RRRoger

I suspect, you will see more resolution and better video,
unfortunately at a higher price that will be just out of my reach
for the ultimate walk around trip and hike camera.

They would have to add speed, storage and high ISO
to make it competitive with the D3 and thus a "must buy" item for me.

Gordy

AU
470 posts

#35. "RE: When will the D700X be released?" | In response to Reply # 31

Gordy Registered since 24th Apr 2006
Mon 03-Aug-09 08:32 AM

I'm hoping it will not have video either, greater resolution is much more important than a dinky video mode. I think marketing wise they would sell far more D700x bodies with the D3X sensor then a D700s which just offered minor tweaks and video mode.

Lakeesh

US
170 posts

#36. "RE: When will the D700X be released?" | In response to Reply # 8

Lakeesh Registered since 02nd Aug 2009
Mon 03-Aug-09 11:23 PM

The D90 has a electric motor moving the mirror.

D300 and up have a spring activated mirror.

Keep in mind that Live View is exactly the same, from a mechanical viewpoint.

Hammam

Montreal, CA
503 posts

#37. "RE: When will the D700X be released?" | In response to Reply # 2

Hammam Basic Member
Tue 04-Aug-09 08:43 AM

>I expect the announcement this September and availability in
>December.
>I just don't know what extra features to expect.
>My Guess is:
>D700 body
>Tilt 3" LCD monitor
>24mp D3X sensor
>Higher ISO range than D3X
>Upgraded firmware with a lot more features.
>FullFrame video
>Price $4,000+

Higher NOISE-FREE ISO range than the D3X with 24 megpix? I doubt it.

Hammam

RRRoger

Monterey Bay, US
3373 posts

#38. "RE: When will the D700X be released?" | In response to Reply # 34

Sun 14-Mar-10 01:48 PM

It has been nearly one year since I started this thread.
Still no D700x in sight?
We have seen a doubling of High ISO and Video come to the D3s but no more 24mp camera bodies except the still cheaper Alpha 850.

Because of the relative low cost, I have explored the many shortcomings of moving to the Alpha 900 or 5D Mark II. The thought of the move still makes my stomach churn so much that I continue to wait.

1. IS Nikon's cost of the Sony Sensor too high?
2. Is there a limited supply?
3. Technical difficulties putting it in the D700 body
4. Still afraid of cannibalizing D3X sales?
5. Is Nikon developing a non-Sony 18-24mp High ISO FullFrame Sensor to put in a D800-900 instead?

briantilley

Paignton, UK
30235 posts

#39. "RE: When will the D700X be released?" | In response to Reply # 38

Sun 14-Mar-10 02:19 PM

Or maybe...

6. Nikon have realised that 12MP is sufficient to meet the vast majority of most photographers' needs

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

RRRoger

Monterey Bay, US
3373 posts

#40. "RE: When will the D700X be released?" | In response to Reply # 39

Sun 14-Mar-10 02:35 PM

>Or maybe...
>
>6. Nikon have realised that 12MP is sufficient to meet the
>vast majority of most photographers' needs

response:

6a. Therefore, there are not enough buyers for a D700x to justify it's release?
6b. There are not enough potential buyers for a Nikon developed FullFrame High ISO 18-24mp Sensor?

Iceman15613

Apollo, US
476 posts

#41. "RE: When will the D700X be released?" | In response to Reply # 39

Sun 14-Mar-10 02:43 PM

>Or maybe...
>
>6. Nikon have realised that 12MP is sufficient to meet the
>vast majority of most photographers' needs

That would be an erroneous assumption. The market is too fluid to concede opportunity. Nikon tried that in the past and for a brief period, Canon ate their lunch. The perfect example would be the inclusion of video. That mode is unnecessary to "the vast majority of most photographers' needs" but it was a market necessity. You have got to either race or watch.

G