Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

D700 + so-so 24-120mm Gray lens Kit = $90 more???

monteverde_org

Monteverde Cloud Forest, CR
1283 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
monteverde_org Silver Member Nikonian since 16th Nov 2007
Sat 26-Jul-08 06:29 AM

It's strange that on B&H the kit D700 with a gray market 24-120mm is $3,600 while if you buy separately a D700 + a USA model 24-120mm the total is $3,510.

Weird also that Nikon would offer a so-so 24-120mm VR lens (review) & not include NX2 with one of their top of the line camera. They don't want us to see the best images the D700 can produce?

It's kind of like selling a Ferrari with recap tires.

jbloom

Wethersfield, US
7735 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

#1. "RE: D700 + so-so 24-120mm Gray lens Kit = $90 more???" | In response to Reply # 0

jbloom Gold Member Awarded for the continuous and generous sharing of his high level expertise and his always encouraging comments in several forums. Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 15th Jul 2004
Sat 26-Jul-08 11:41 AM

The pricing I don't get at all, but I don't think it's a grey-market lens in the kit. I think someone at B&H just used the wrong link.

As to the particular kit-lens selection, I don't see that Nikon had a lot of choice (other than to not offer the kit at all). Kit lenses are generally wide-to-short-tele zooms, and the 24-120 is the only modern (AF-S, VR) non-DX design Nikon has available at present except for the f/2.8 glass. (A lack they will no doubt correct at some point.)

The inclusion of NX with the D3 and D300 was a temporary, one-shot deal. Capture wasn't included with the D2X, and I wouldn't expect it to be included with future bodies. You can use View NX to process D700 RAW images, so it's not as if you have no access to "the best images the D700 can produce."

-- Jon
Wethersfield, CT, USA
Connecticut High School Sports Photos

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

G