Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
IM

Apex, US
14 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
J Zee

US
418 posts

#1. "RE: In Stock at B&H" | In response to Reply # 0

J Zee Silver Member Nikonian since 30th Apr 2004
Fri 25-Jul-08 08:39 PM

I'm kind of surprised that at 3:37 PST July 25th the camera is still showing in stock. I thought everyone would be sold out by now. Either the demand is not as great as I thought or Nikon just delivered more D700's than previous model launches.

J Zee

LMMiller9

Potomac, US
1168 posts

#2. "RE: In Stock at B&H" | In response to Reply # 1

LMMiller9 Silver Member Nikonian since 18th Dec 2005
Fri 25-Jul-08 08:57 PM

Remember... it is a three thousand dollar camera. And, many of us just recently bought a D300 and those of us who did would be the same people likely to buy this camera. That kinda limits the market.

Larry Miller, Potomac, MD
DF/D810
http://lmmillerphotography.smugmug.com/

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Z06lust

81 posts

#3. "RE: In Stock at B&H" | In response to Reply # 2

Z06lust Registered since 24th Nov 2006
Fri 25-Jul-08 09:11 PM

>Remember... it is a three thousand dollar camera.

Bingo!!! True pros already have a D3..and for a back up...the D3 is discounted on Amazon at $4500....

Those heavy into DX (70-300 owners) have DX lenses...thus this is more then a new body...figure about $9,000 for the body and 12-200 series of 2.8 lenses (12-24, 24-70, 70-200)..and if your not into buying $1600 top of the line lenses..why are you buying a $3000 body.

Aside from the 'showoff/poser' crowd..this camera will sell...but it will take time...I think you will see conversions from the DX crowd over time. Heck if they brought out a high quality 24-120 VRII..that would go along way...

brad_nikon

84 posts

#4. "RE: In Stock at B&H" | In response to Reply # 1

brad_nikon Registered since 18th Oct 2003
Fri 25-Jul-08 09:13 PM | edited Fri 25-Jul-08 09:31 PM by brad_nikon

Going forward for those who have neither a D300 nor a D700 but have one of the lesser models (D40, D60, D70, D80) and are looking for an upgrade, it will be curious how the market share evolves between the two models.

Until a month ago, I was looking to replace my D70 with the D300, but now I'm sold on the D700.

Now, I'm determining a vendor to buy from. Some issues that I am considering include:

* Given the general price fixing that discourages competition for the same product, what incentives do the vendors offer? Are they not happy enough with fixed price margins?

* Do they shaft customers with high prices for accessories, spare batteries, extended warranties, etc?

* Do they include shipping, or do they add shipping?

* Do they add sales tax?

I'll politely decline buying from a "milk-and-shaft-the-customer" shop. Ironically, one of the biggest chain stores, whom you would think would have better buying power and volume sales and could offer competitive prices on accessories, fits the "milk-and-shaft-the-customer" category. They know that one is born every minute, so it does not matter.

LMMiller9

Potomac, US
1168 posts

#5. "RE: In Stock at B&H" | In response to Reply # 4

LMMiller9 Silver Member Nikonian since 18th Dec 2005
Fri 25-Jul-08 10:23 PM

I think you will find that members of this forum have generally had good experience with B&H, BergerBros, Roberts and one or two others. You are not going to find any significant difference in price among them. If you find someone with a significantly cheaper price, good bet you are about to be taken.

This is just not a wheeling and dealing market place for high end cameras.

Larry Miller, Potomac, MD
DF/D810
http://lmmillerphotography.smugmug.com/

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

dgillilan

Williamsburg, US
2695 posts

#6. "RE: In Stock at B&H" | In response to Reply # 5

dgillilan Silver Member Nikonian since 14th May 2006
Sat 26-Jul-08 12:03 AM | edited Sat 26-Jul-08 12:04 AM by dgillilan

hi Brad_nikon,
Larry is right, there won't be much price difference on the D700 for a long while. Larry mentioned the legitimate vendors, the ones you can count on to get what you need as soon as they can, if you need something special, and the ones who are not gonna try to sell you other accessories, no pressure selling. I talked tonight on the phone with Brad Berger, who owns Berger, and he verbatim told me, "We want to be your store for your photographic needs, lenses, cameras, whatever you need". That means a lot to me, to know that a store wants to be my vendor. Further, I arranged a faster than planned for shipping method early this afternoon after I learned that my previously planned method could not get my new tool here till Monday, and my invoice had already been prepared with lower shipping cost - Berger went ahead and shipped it out, trusting me to call back with the card number to pay the shipping difference(which I did) - that is a service oriented vendor who wants my business and goes the extra mile with service. He will get more business from me. Also, every time that I have called Berger this week for a question, the person answering has been very polite and friendly-a good sign.
Further, Berger had the lowest price on the Nikon battery(which I decided on my own to go ahead and purchase immediately), no price gauging there at all. Further, the Berger price on the Nikon 14-24mm f2.8 new lens is lower than other vendors I have seen, ($1585 I think it is) no price increase there, rather, the lowest I've seen.(I was only checking on that item, I'm gonna keep using my 17-35).
Shipping is not gonna be free. But, you know, I like having choices in shipping vendors and methods, and Berger certainly has choices- as does B&H and other legitimate vendors.
Good luck in your purchase, as Larry has stated, I've had tremendous luck with Berger, B&H, and highly recommend them, esp. Berger since it is a smaller organization vendor, and I do enjoy patronizing small businesses when possible,
Debra
p.s. on taxes, I think only if you live in a state where that company has a store presence, do you pay the taxes on your invoice.

Visit My Nikonian Gallery: https://images.nikonians.org/galleries/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=94067
My Flickr Gallery: http://www.flickr.com/photos/dgillilan/

TXCiclista

Fort Worth, US
1791 posts

#8. "RE: In Stock at B&H" | In response to Reply # 1

TXCiclista Registered since 15th May 2006
Sat 26-Jul-08 08:39 PM

>I'm kind of surprised that at 3:37 PST July 25th the camera
>is still showing in stock. I thought everyone would be sold
>out by now.

I'm waiting for the D800.

-----
This is my Nikon. There are many like it, but this one is mine!

Aulias

Adelaide, AU
221 posts

#9. "RE: In Stock at B&H" | In response to Reply # 0

Aulias Registered since 10th Feb 2006
Sun 27-Jul-08 10:02 PM

I'm going to give it a month or two, perhaps up to 6 months if I can hold out to hopefully see some price reduction (really suprised how fast D3 and D300 prices have come down), plus let any first batch bugs get ironed out.
Cheers,
Paul

brad_nikon

84 posts

#10. "RE: In Stock at B&H" | In response to Reply # 5

brad_nikon Registered since 18th Oct 2003
Mon 28-Jul-08 01:19 AM

Please note that I was referring to prices of ACCESSORIES.

Even the prices of lower-end and mid-range cameras have been subject to non-competitive pricing between dealers. That's the racket that the distributor holds on dealers across the board.

J Zee

US
418 posts

#11. "RE: In Stock at B&H" | In response to Reply # 1

J Zee Silver Member Nikonian since 30th Apr 2004
Mon 28-Jul-08 01:50 AM

Just checked B&H again and they now show OOS. But a quick check of other reputable places still have them so I believe those of you who replied about economics, newer D300 purchases, etc., are correct. I know I;m waiting for many of the reasons you all stated.

J Zee

tommiejeep

Goa, IN
4638 posts

#12. "RE: In Stock at B&H" | In response to Reply # 0

tommiejeep Gold Member Nikonian since 07th Jan 2008
Mon 28-Jul-08 04:29 AM

IMHO the Nikon's timing turns out to be very bad. With a 'wait and see' attitude with the world economies many people will be shying away from a $3000 purchase of a camera for the moment. Even photogs that make a good living may see a downturn in client spending.

I fully expect to see some rebates coming along this fall/winter or some really enticing offers of some kits. If Nikon announces another super FX soon I think they may not put a price on it until later ,sort of 'watch this space for details'. We get delivery of first D700s in India sometime the middle of next month. Will be interesting to see the offer.

Cheers,
Tom
just my two rupees(worth less today than two months ago).

Manuel Sousa - alias... T.D.Hardin
http://taja.smugmug.com/
https://images.nikonians.org/galleries/showgallery.php/cat/500/ppuser/165169

G