Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

D700 & RRS PLATES

whatahobby

Dayton, US
460 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
whatahobby Registered since 26th Jun 2008
Mon 06-Oct-08 06:33 PM

Hi all, Anyone know if my old BD300 or the BD300L will fit on the D700. I have both of these and I have purchased a D700 and want to know if I have to buy new ones. Thanks, Jeff

hwdx347

Maumelle, US
6273 posts

#1. "RE: D700 & RRS PLATES" | In response to Reply # 0

hwdx347 Basic Member
Mon 06-Oct-08 06:20 PM

No. The D700 is a slightly different shape.

Hedley
Originally from Merthyr Tydfil, Wales -- now in Arkansas

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

whatahobby

Dayton, US
460 posts

#2. "RE: D700 & RRS PLATES" | In response to Reply # 1

Mon 06-Oct-08 11:31 PM

Thanks for the answer. I haven't got my D700 yet so obviously this is a big help. I can now order and won't be having to wait on the plate long after I get the body. Thanks, Jeff

schwett

San Francisco, US
353 posts

#3. "RE: D700 & RRS PLATES" | In response to Reply # 2

schwett Basic Member
Tue 07-Oct-08 05:14 AM

the bd-300l fits just fine on a d700. it doesn't have that 100% perfect made to match feeling, but it is 100% functional and does not damage the camera. it looks like the curved-up front portion of the base might scratch something, but it does not.

i used my d700 with the rrs bd-300l for a few weeks without any issue. that said, it's a $2800 camera - may as well get the custom matched l-bracket.

pwscott61

Fairfiled County, US
72 posts

#4. "RE: D700 & RRS PLATES" | In response to Reply # 3

pwscott61 Registered since 11th Feb 2006
Tue 07-Oct-08 03:36 PM

RRS confirmed on the phone that the RRS L-Plate for D300 with MBD10 grip and D700 with MBD10 Grip are identical item. I have both and they are typically well made from RRS. Left door hard to initially open w/o a pen or pocket knife, but accessible and closes fine- no problem.

whatahobby

Dayton, US
460 posts

#5. "RE: D700 & RRS PLATES" | In response to Reply # 4

Tue 07-Oct-08 04:52 PM

I sold my BD300L yesterday after reading the post where it doesn't fit . Oh' well, I just have to buy another one I guess. Thanks to all who replied. Jeff

hwdx347

Maumelle, US
6273 posts

#6. "RE: D700 & RRS PLATES" | In response to Reply # 5

hwdx347 Basic Member
Tue 07-Oct-08 05:05 PM

Jeff

I'm really sorry I mislead you but I was told it didn't fit due to the different shape at the front. I'm sure this was in a previous thread after someone discussed it with RRS.

Hedley
Originally from Merthyr Tydfil, Wales -- now in Arkansas

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

briantilley

Paignton, UK
30235 posts

#7. "RE: D700 & RRS PLATES" | In response to Reply # 0

briantilley Gold Member Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Donor Ribbon awarded for his support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003
Tue 07-Oct-08 05:45 PM

The question of whether the BD-300L will fit the D700 was discussed in this thread a couple of months ago. As can be seen, RRS stated in an email to a Nikonians member that it does not fit correctly because the cameras' body shape is different - "the part underneath the lens is fatter on the D700".

The thread also explains why it is not a great idea to use a non-dedicated plate or bracket, even if it seems to fit OK.

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

whatahobby

Dayton, US
460 posts

#8. "RE: D700 & RRS PLATES" | In response to Reply # 6

Tue 07-Oct-08 07:34 PM

Hi hwdx347, You didn't mislead me. It appears that you are right acording to RRS. I will by the new one for my D700 and won't look back. I feel it isn't worth the worry of hoping it is compatable. After closer examination of the specs, I found the D700 is slghtly wider (thicker) than the D300 so it makes sence to me know that it would need a new plate. Thanks to all. Jeff

G