Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

How do you travel in holidays with D700 camera and accesories?

Blondul

Bucharest, RO
74 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
Blondul Registered since 27th Dec 2011
Tue 24-Jul-12 02:38 PM

Dear Nikonians,

I just came back from a short holidays in Paris.

It was the first time when I took with me in holidays the D700 body with the NIKKOR AF-S 28-300 3.5-5.6 G ED VR lens and the SB-910 flash. All these together weigh arround of 3 kg.
I used a LowerPro backpack, but together with the water, umbrella, backup batteries etc. the total weigh was arround 5 to 6 kg.

What can I say ... I came back with great pictures ... .... but with a big back pain! ...

How did you solved this issue with the weigh of D700? How do you travel in a big Metropola and how are you distributing the total weight in order to avoid a back pain?

Thanks a lot in advance for all answers!

Best regards,
Stelian

JosephK

Seattle, WA, US
7113 posts

#1. "RE: How do you travel in holidays with D700 camera and accessories?" | In response to Reply # 0

JosephK Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Nikonian since 17th Apr 2006
Tue 24-Jul-12 01:41 PM

As a general rule when traveling, I try to plan for the day's activities and leave what I won't need in the car or hotel.

I did 12 days in Ireland in June with:
D700 with grip
24-70mm
70-300mm VR
50mm f/1.4
SB800
extra memory cards
battery charger

I used a ThinkTank Glass Taxi backpack for airport travel and a Crumpler "7 million dollar home" bag for everyday carry. The 50mm and flash were almost never with me. The cards, charger, etc, were always left at the hotel.

---------+---------+---------+---------+
Joseph K
Seattle, WA, USA

D700, D200, D70S, 24-70mm f/2.8, VR 70-200mm f/2.8 II, 50mm f/1.4 D,
17-55mm f/2.8 DX, 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 VR, 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5 DX

vadim0416

Northbrook, US
98 posts

#2. "RE: How do you travel in holidays with D700 camera and accesories?" | In response to Reply # 0

vadim0416 Gold Member Nikonian since 20th Jan 2009
Tue 24-Jul-12 02:57 PM

For all my oversea trips I take only a D700 with 24-120 F4 VR and a SB400 flash. I use a Tamrac 3537 shoulder bag.

Vlad.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

burchan

Sydney, AU
369 posts

#3. "RE: How do you travel in holidays with D700 camera and accesories?" | In response to Reply # 2

burchan Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Feb 2012
Tue 24-Jul-12 08:55 PM

What do you carry water for? You can get water anywhere when needed.

nathantw

US
184 posts

#4. "RE: How do you travel in holidays with D700 camera and accesories?" | In response to Reply # 0

nathantw Registered since 16th Jan 2008
Wed 25-Jul-12 01:57 PM

I went to Hungary with pretty much the same package but with an addition of the 50mm f/1.4, 24 f/1.4 and a 16mm f/2.8. I mainly just threw everything in a heavy duty backpack. It really was a heavy combination. It made me realize why people now use those p/s or all in one type of cameras or even a smaller a DX camera.

Also http://www.flickr.com/photos/nathantw/

avm247

Rancho Cordova, US
18758 posts

#5. "RE: How do you travel in holidays with D700 camera and accesories?" | In response to Reply # 0

avm247 Moderator Awarded for high skills in documentary architecture and aviation photography Donor Ribbon. Awarded for his support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Charter Member
Wed 25-Jul-12 02:49 PM

I brought my D700/MB-D10, 28-105D IF, 70-300 D ED, 24mm, 50mm and an SB-28, battery charger, eneloop AA & charger, laptop, card reader and mouse on vacation (holiday) to Oahu, Hawaii. Camera in a camera bag, computer in a computer sleeve in a backpack (with cables and accessories) when traveling to and from.

Daily use, the D700/MB-D10 with 28-105 attached, on a sling. I carried a backpack for miscellaneous items including water. All other items were kept lock in the hotel safe. In the evenings, I had the SB-28 attached and slung on my person. When I anticipated using it, I had the 24mm in a pocket (cargo shorts) or in a wrap in my backpack. Never used the 70-300 or the 50mm...more because I didn't want to carry more stuff with me.

I am seriously considering purchasing a Nikon V1 kit as a small, light travel kit.

Anthony

The Moderator Page and My Gallery
The important things in life are simple; the simple things are hard.

robsb

San Jose, US
14996 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to send message via AOL IM

#6. "RE: How do you travel in holidays with D700 camera and accesories?" | In response to Reply # 0

robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Donor Ribbon awarded for his enthusiastic and repeated support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2015 Nikonian since 23rd Aug 2006
Wed 25-Jul-12 07:39 PM

I have now taken multiple trips with my D700 to Europe, Australia, Iceland, etc. In each case I tailor what I bring to what I intend to shoot. I also try to keep my total weight of my camera bag, a Tamrac Pro 5, sometimes with one external lens case to 11 lbs roughly the 5 kg you say you carry. I DO NOT carry an external flash as in most places I have been you can't use them anyway and the built in flash works in most instances where I needed it and it was allowed. So my MUST HAVE lens is my 17-35 f/2.8. the majority of images I make can be made with that. I do not carry a tripod, pretty much for the same reasons as the flash. With the D700 I have rarely missed a photo without it. I will start taking a table top and see if it gets any use. My next MUST have lens is my 35-70 f/2.8, but sometimes it gets left behind. It was replaced by a 70-200 VR when I went to Iceland because I planned to shoot Puffins. I usually never carry the 70-200. Lately I have been packing my 85 mm f/1.4 lens as it is great in theaters and interiors and I carry a Kenko 1.4 TC that I use with this lens and the 35-70 as I have found that generally this is the most reach I need a 119 mm and it is still a fast lens combo. Finally I throw in my 16 mm Fish eye because it is so small I can even put it in my pocket. The other stuff in the bag is my CF cards ( I usually leave most in the hotel safe and carry one or two, I DO NOT EVER bring a computer or a backup drive as the CF card is virtually indestructible while the other things are not. I carry one extra battery. The charger stays in the room, I carry a polarizing filter, a remote release, a small flashlight. I usually have my bag slung across my chest, and keep my D700 out and on my shoulder with an Up Strap. This tends to work fine to distribute the weight. I do not take a camera backpack as I find them awkward to work out of and I have a Lowepro like you. I also find they tend to make your back sweat in hot weather. I do take a photog vest and will wear it if it is not too hot and then I can stuff thing in the pockets and not in my bag. I am considering trying a belt arrangement as another way to carry my gear. In general I agree with others here that the best way is to consider what you will be shooting that day and bring only what you need. If you have a kitchen sink mentality you are only asking for back pain. For me P&S cameras don't cut it. I know the D700 seems heavy, but a little weight training will make it feel light. As you say you came back with great pictures. My last trip on the Rhine and Danube I saw all kinds of Nikon's with Big lens and tons more P&S and I was the only one getting images in some situations because of my fast lenses and great ISO performance of the D700.

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

"Nikonians membership - My most important photographic investment, after the
camera"

Retirement is a gift of time - Don't waste it!
Old age is a special gift that very few receive. Be thankful if you get it.

tommiejeep

Goa, IN
4638 posts

#7. "RE: How do you travel in holidays with D700 camera and accesories?" | In response to Reply # 6

tommiejeep Gold Member Nikonian since 07th Jan 2008
Thu 26-Jul-12 04:52 AM

Bob, off topic but... Recently in Leh, Ladakh, India I ran into a Frenchman wearing the D700, 17-35 2.8 (sans hood ) around his neck on a Nikon D700 strap. Turns out he is a professional travel writer/ photog. Back at the hotel he had an 85 1.4G and 24 1.4 and that was his professional kit.

I immediately thought of you and all of your travelling with the 17-35! .
Cheers,
Tom

Manuel Sousa - alias... T.D.Hardin
http://taja.smugmug.com/
https://images.nikonians.org/galleries/showgallery.php/cat/500/ppuser/165169

Blondul

Bucharest, RO
74 posts

#8. "RE: How do you travel in holidays with D700 camera and accessories?" | In response to Reply # 1

Thu 26-Jul-12 06:51 AM

Thank you very much, Joseph for the answer!
Interesting the Crumpler "7 million dollar home" bag ... I will buy one of this in the nearest future!

Regards,
Stelian

Blondul

Bucharest, RO
74 posts

#9. "RE: How do you travel in holidays with D700 camera and accesories?" | In response to Reply # 2

Thu 26-Jul-12 06:56 AM

Thank you very much for your answer, Vlad!

Cool as well the Tamrac 3537 bag ...

Regards,
Stelian

Blondul

Bucharest, RO
74 posts

#10. "RE: How do you travel in holidays with D700 camera and accesories?" | In response to Reply # 3

Thu 26-Jul-12 07:06 AM

Hello Branko!

It was necessary, due to the daily routes in Paris, to have two bottles of 50 cl (for me and for my wife) time to time in the backpack. I know that you can find water almost everywhere, but not every time the prices are "nice". In the center or on touristic routes of Paris, the prices are between 2.80 and 4.00 EURO for one 50 cl bottle.

Regards,
Stelian

Blondul

Bucharest, RO
74 posts

#11. "RE: How do you travel in holidays with D700 camera and accesories?" | In response to Reply # 4

Thu 26-Jul-12 07:15 AM

Agree with you, Nathan!
But I will assume the risc of back pain, because otherwise the pictures will not be the same with p/s or other DX cameras. Especially in low light places (and in Paris these are a lot ... ...).

My opinion is that a backpack is not suitable in this situations. I think that a shoulder bag can be a better choise, as some forum colleagues recommended me.

Regards,
Stelian

Blondul

Bucharest, RO
74 posts

#12. "RE: How do you travel in holidays with D700 camera and accesories?" | In response to Reply # 5

Thu 26-Jul-12 07:17 AM

Hello Anthony!

I'm not so sure that the Nikon V1 will be the solution. As I said before, maybe the pictures will not be the same.

Regards,
Stelian

Blondul

Bucharest, RO
74 posts

#13. "RE: How do you travel in holidays with D700 camera and accesories?" | In response to Reply # 6

Thu 26-Jul-12 07:21 AM

Hello Bob!

Thank you very much for your recommendations!

Using the backpack I felt the "back sweat" all day long in Paris, too!

Regards,
Stelian

Flokx

FR
11 posts

#14. "RE: How do you travel in holidays with D700 camera and accesories?" | In response to Reply # 0

Flokx Registered since 07th Dec 2011
Thu 26-Jul-12 07:22 AM | edited Thu 26-Jul-12 07:31 AM by Flokx

-

Flokx

FR
11 posts

#15. "RE: How do you travel in holidays with D700 camera and accesories?" | In response to Reply # 0

Thu 26-Jul-12 07:25 AM

Hello,

I use to bring a heavy bag with multiple lenses but now I just travel with a lowepro passport sling.Big enougth to hold my d700 with my 24-120, an extra battery and cards. I bring a tripod if I plane to take some pictures inside or for some HDR shot.

In case I need to bring extra goods for my children I use a traditional backpack. Camera and lenses are carefuly protected and put on the top of the bag.

Computer and other stuff stay at home. Post processing is only made when I'm back.

Lionel

robsb

San Jose, US
14996 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to send message via AOL IM

#16. "RE: How do you travel in holidays with D700 camera and accesories?" | In response to Reply # 7

robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Donor Ribbon awarded for his enthusiastic and repeated support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2015 Nikonian since 23rd Aug 2006
Fri 27-Jul-12 04:09 AM

Tom it is certainly assuring to know a Pro thinks like I do. My kit has been shaped by experience good and bad.

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

"Nikonians membership - My most important photographic investment, after the
camera"

Retirement is a gift of time - Don't waste it!
Old age is a special gift that very few receive. Be thankful if you get it.

Blondul

Bucharest, RO
74 posts

#17. "RE: How do you travel in holidays with D700 camera and accesories?" | In response to Reply # 15

Fri 27-Jul-12 07:43 AM

Thank you very much for your answer, Lionel!

How is the Lowepro Passport Sling? Is it confortable to carry 2-3 kilos all day long?

Thanks and regards,
Stelian

Flokx

FR
11 posts

#18. "RE: How do you travel in holidays with D700 camera and accesories?" | In response to Reply # 17

Sun 12-Aug-12 09:54 AM

Hello Stelian,

No problem to carry 2-3 kilos all day long. You just have to cross the bag. Put the strap on your left shoulder and the bag on your right.

I didn't weigh the bag but i think it is more than 3 kilos. About 5 or more maybe.

Lionel

gkaiseril

Chicago, US
6739 posts

#19. "RE: How do you travel in holidays with D700 camera and accesories?" | In response to Reply # 0

gkaiseril Gold Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005
Sun 12-Aug-12 05:35 PM

Adjusting the backpack and load in the backpack like a hiker. Heavy items in bottom and close to the body The add a waist belt belt to the pack to transfer the weight from the shoulders and upper back to the legs and hips. You might also want to exercise with the pack weighted to build up your back muscles. Also, always use both shoulder straps to keep the load balanced.

George
My Nikonian Galleries

Tin Type

Seattle, WA, US
1 posts

#20. "RE: How do you travel in holidays with D700 camera and accesories?" | In response to Reply # 19

Tin Type Registered since 15th May 2012
Sun 12-Aug-12 09:08 PM

All I can say is to carefully adjust your back pack. If Pain keeps up, think about a doctor visit, and a routine of back exercises. 10 kg. should be do-able all day with-out pain.

Blondul

Bucharest, RO
74 posts

#21. "RE: How do you travel in holidays with D700 camera and accesories?" | In response to Reply # 18

Mon 13-Aug-12 09:31 AM

Thank you very much for all information, Lionel!

Regrads,
Stelian

Blondul

Bucharest, RO
74 posts

#22. "RE: How do you travel in holidays with D700 camera and accesories?" | In response to Reply # 19

Mon 13-Aug-12 09:42 AM

Thank you very much for the advices, George! These are very useful!

Unfortunately, the Lowepro backpack model that I used in Paris, is not equiped with a waist belt and it cannot be added extra... This detail, I will take into consideration for the next backpack that I will buy.

Regards,
Stelian

Blondul

Bucharest, RO
74 posts

#23. "RE: How do you travel in holidays with D700 camera and accesories?" | In response to Reply # 20

Mon 13-Aug-12 09:54 AM | edited Mon 13-Aug-12 09:56 AM by Blondul

Thank you very much for the answer, Michael!

The back pain gave away to three days after I returned from vacation. It was a muscle that remained contracted after "efforts" to carry backpack. The windy weather in Paris at that time combined with the sweating under the backpack, contributed to muscle contraction.

Wishing you all the best,
Stelian

Devonish

Newton Abbot, UK
122 posts

#24. "RE: How do you travel in holidays with D700 camera and accesories?" | In response to Reply # 0

Devonish Registered since 13th Nov 2011
Fri 17-Aug-12 09:54 AM

I found the perfect solution (well for me anyway)..... I purchased a P7100 that sits on my belt!

I actually have a dodgy neck/shoulder so can't back pack all that DSLR kit around. I own 2 x D700's which I use for my work, but gave up lugging it around some time back.

Wedding Photographer in Devon: http://www.whitepetal.co.uk

MarcoF80

Torino, IT
150 posts

#25. "RE: How do you travel in holidays with D700 camera and accesories?" | In response to Reply # 0

MarcoF80 Gold Member Nikonian since 14th Mar 2004
Fri 17-Aug-12 10:43 AM

Hi Stelian,

photographic style is always a choice. If you want to have all the possible gear on your back, you will have heavy health problems...

My choice - and strong suggestion - is that the best exercise to gain the best experience in photography, travelling or at home is the same, is to be "at minimum": a D700 with a 50mm f/1.8 is the essential to learn that every image that you take is always "a frame of reality" and it will be never as you see with your eyes.
Than you can however come back home after a trip with special ad unique photos, that are the product of your vision, not from this or that camera and lenses...
This is only my idea, but it's a strong exercise to improve your photography

My suggested - and preferred - gear: D700, 50mm f/1.8 G (the front lens is deep and it's not necessary to have always the hood mounted), a second battery, two 8 Gb CF cards (I think that 400 photos is a good number for a 15 days trip, RAW only, of course). I use no flash, the D700 produce low noise files even at ISO 6400 and post processing with Capture NX2 or, better choice, with DxO is very god for quality.

Some masters told that "the very best zoom are the legs"

Try and enjoy the soul of photography, don't worry for the gear.

Marco
Nikonian in Torino - Italy

http://www.marcobaracco.com

billaquino

Tampa, US
204 posts

#26. "RE: How do you travel in holidays with D700 camera and accesories?" | In response to Reply # 0

billaquino Gold Member Nikonian since 29th Jan 2007
Mon 20-Aug-12 01:42 PM

Stelian,

I've signed up for the 1 year adventure package in Afghanistan. I wanted to minimize the weight for camera gear to compensate for all the "other" heavy weight gear. I packed my D700, 28mm f/2.8, 35mm f/2.8, 60mm f/2.8 (in case I want to do some macro photos), 50mm f/1.8, 70-300mm and an SB-900. However, when travelling around I've defaulted with a 50mm and 35 or 28mm for most of my uses, depending on what I expect to encounter. The 28, 35 and 50mm lenses are quite light.

My secret weapon is a P7100 that fits into my pocket for portability.

However, I've found that the focus speed of the P7100 has let me down a couple of time. I must disclose that some of my conditions are a bit extreme...focusing through thick bullet proof glass in a moving vehicle is tough for sharp images. But, the D700 does extremely well.

Here's a sample of what I could capture through the thick glass with the 35mm.

Click on image to view larger version

Though not from a D700...here's an example of a lucky P7100 image through the thick glass moving quickly through town...

Click on image to view larger version

Happy Travels,
Bill
Attachment#1 (jpg file)
Attachment#2 (jpg file)

Bill Aquino

William Rounds

Rambouillet, FR
743 posts

#27. "RE: How do you travel in holidays with D700 camera and accesories?" | In response to Reply # 26

William Rounds Gold Member Nikonian since 25th Mar 2011
Tue 21-Aug-12 09:47 AM

If you know you are going to be walking for hours on end, you might want to consider the Cotten Carrier. I have one and find that it does a good job of relieving weight in the back of the neck and leaves your hands free for normal movement. Google "Cotten Carrier" for more info.

G