Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Slow loading D 700 NEFs in Photo Mechanic

doc85

West Lafayette, US
397 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
doc85 Registered since 17th Jul 2008
Sat 14-Jul-12 12:46 AM

Can someone please help me with this?
Just getting started with a new D700. It seems to me that my raw files are very slow to open in Photo Mechanic, compared to the DX cameras I have used with PM.
Each image takes about 10 sec to open. Is this to be expected or I am I doing something wrong?

expat

Qawra St Pauls Bay, MT
532 posts

#1. "RE: Slow loading D 700 NEFs in Photo Mechanic" | In response to Reply # 0

expat Silver Member Nikonian since 09th Mar 2010
Sat 14-Jul-12 07:17 AM

I find that NEFs open very quickly in PM but extremely slowly from PM into Capture NX2,
My images are stored on seperate hard drives but I have not moved the cache or temporary file locations (NX2 preferences) in the way I think many people do to a seperate location.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

mklass

Tacoma, US
7437 posts

#2. "RE: Slow loading D 700 NEFs in Photo Mechanic" | In response to Reply # 0

mklass Platinum Member As a semi-professional involved in all manner of photographic genres including portraiture, sports, commercial, and events coverage, Mick is always ready to help Nikonians by sharing his deep knowledge of photography and printing. Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 08th Dec 2006
Sat 14-Jul-12 01:48 PM

I have no problem with NEF for any DX or FX camera opening in PM. What version are you using? It should be at least 4.6, preferable the latest 4.6.9. I also have no problem with the v5 beta.

I am on Windows 7-64. What OS are you using?

I'd suggest posting a message in Camera Bits' Photo Mechanic forum, if you haven't already done so. http://forums.camerabits.com

That behavior isn't right.

Mick
http://www.mickklassphoto.com
or
Visit my nikonians gallery

doc85

West Lafayette, US
397 posts

#3. "RE: Slow loading D 700 NEFs in Photo Mechanic" | In response to Reply # 2

doc85 Registered since 17th Jul 2008
Sat 14-Jul-12 06:23 PM

Whoopee! I made come changes in PM Preferences and it seemed to solve my problem.
Thanks to all who tried to help.

G