Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

D600 - on the wait list

ericbowles

Atlanta, US
10631 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community Donor Ribbon awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2015 Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005
Thu 21-Jun-12 03:01 PM

I have no idea whether this is the right forum, but wanted to share my thought process with others. I'm on the wait list for the D600 at Berger Brothers - the same place I got my D800E.

I shoot a lot of IR with a converted D200. Rather than converting an existing D300 or D7000, I am going to convert a new D600. The thought process is that most of my IR work is landscapes and architecture - and these subjects are great with the larger FX sensor and large number of pixels. The rumored features of the D600 appear to line up pretty well - it's new technology and probably cheaper than a used D700. And it will share a common battery and accessories with my D800E and D7000.

There are certainly some reasons to go with a D700, but the larger file size of the new cameras is a real plus for landscapes and IR. And the D700/D3 has a light leak issue for IR at higher ISO levels (above ISO 1600).

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Workshops

Nikonians membership — my most important photographic investment, after the camera

RWCooper

Winnipeg, CA
1019 posts

#1. "RE: D600 - on the wait list" | In response to Reply # 0

RWCooper Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Jul 2004
Thu 21-Jun-12 02:12 PM

Seems reasonable to me.

Enjoy!

Randy

stappy

Alexandria, US
225 posts

#2. "RE: D600 - on the wait list" | In response to Reply # 0

stappy Gold Member Nikonian since 06th Aug 2009
Thu 21-Jun-12 02:36 PM

I think your reasoning for getting a D600 (assuming the rumored specs are similar) for an IR conversion is sound.
Of course, your path would be one of a double early adopter. You will have the D600 before almost anyone else and presumable be one of the first to IR convert it (which would essentially void the warranty).
You mention the D700/D3 has a a known (but minor) issue for IR conversion. What will the D600 have?

Brian

ericbowles

Atlanta, US
10631 posts

#3. "RE: D600 - on the wait list" | In response to Reply # 2

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community Donor Ribbon awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2015 Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005
Thu 21-Jun-12 02:42 PM

<You mention the D700/D3 has a a known (but minor) issue for IR conversion. What will the D600 have?>

According to a Lifepixel video, there is an IR light used to make sure the shutter speed is correct on the modern cameras. When you remove the IR filter, at high ISO levels you get some light leakage. This is not a frequent problem as I don't normally use an IR camera in low light - but I have done that some. The D7000 has changed the wavelength of the IR light to above 850 nm - and that apparently resolved the problem. I am not sure what they did on the D800, but I am guessing the higher wavelength will be used on the D600. If not, it is only an issue at ISO 1600 and higher.

Good point on the warranty. That means I'll need to test the camera pretty well before investing in a conversion.

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Workshops

Nikonians membership — my most important photographic investment, after the camera

HobokenJoe

Teaneck, US
39 posts

#4. "RE: D600 - on the wait list" | In response to Reply # 0

HobokenJoe Registered since 20th Jun 2012
Thu 21-Jun-12 06:56 PM

Sounds like a good plan.

Enjoy.

G