Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
buckreynolds

US
32 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
buckreynolds Registered since 11th Jan 2009
Thu 14-Jun-12 12:14 AM

Greetings. This is my first post on Nikonians. What a nice bunch of people we have here.

Anyway, I've been wanting a D700 for awhile, and the way I research (torture myself) is to follow the offerings on eBay and here, and on a variety of other sites. And I've learned that one important thing for an American consumer is to get a USA model because Nikon will not repair grey market cameras locally.

Then I thought, how do I know whether a used camera is grey market? The seller often says it is, but they may not know. The Nikon site says you should look for English language instruction manuals, so there is that.

I thought I would call Nikon and ask. They said it is important to get a sales receipt. , but still, if the serial number does not match they may refuse to repair the camera. I asked if they could search a serial number for me, and they said "no."

So, at this point, I am so nervous about all this that I've decided that I have to limit my search to Nikon dealers and the company website. Used D700's go for about $1800, on eBay and such. Nikon sells them refurbished for $1,980. I don't think the used discount is large enough to take the risk.

What do you think?

Best wishes to all Nikonians

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

ZoneV

US
3564 posts

#1. "RE: USA Models" | In response to Reply # 0

ZoneV Silver Member Nikonian since 07th Jan 2005
Wed 13-Jun-12 11:36 PM | edited Wed 13-Jun-12 11:45 PM by ZoneV

If you can get a "refurb" for $2000, that might be worth it; they give you a 90-day warranty. Only you can decide if the 3-month warranty and the fact that the camera has been checked (and if needed, serviced) by Nikon is worth the extra $200 over a used one in great condition. A new one is yet $200 more, and gives you a one-year warranty. You can then extend that by another 2 years for an additional $145 at the time of purchase by buying an add-on Nikon warranty. Again, only you can decide if that's worth the peace (piece?) of mind. You're not likely to find a lightly used D700 under $1800 on this forum at this point in time. I personally feel better about purchasing from a member on here than from someone on ebay.

As for gray market or not, if the person bought it from one of the big stores or a local dealer, they should know. Other than the occasional honest mistake or the rare individual trying to swindle, I'd say there's little concern of getting a gray market one as long as you ask the right questions. (Buying a Nikon USA refurb essentially guarantees you're getting a USA model.)

Nikon user since 2000

scenicshutterbug

Beaufort County, US
995 posts

#2. "RE: USA Models" | In response to Reply # 0

scenicshutterbug Gold Member Nikonian since 27th May 2008
Thu 14-Jun-12 12:39 AM

You might want to call Nikon back again and ask about a specific serial number if you have it. I called them some time ago to check on a camera and they were very helpful in verifying that it was a US model. I also thought that they could give you a serial number range which would correspond with US models.

Karen

ericbowles

Atlanta, US
10543 posts

#3. "RE: USA Models" | In response to Reply # 0

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community Donor Ribbon awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2015 Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005
Thu 21-Jun-12 01:09 PM

Nikon Authorized service will willingly handle gray market gear. With a D700 that should not be a problem, but a new model like the V1 might not be handled with Nikon Authorized service.

Consider KEH.com for used gear. They are very reputable and will repair gear as well.

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Workshops

Nikonians membership — my most important photographic investment, after the camera

buckreynolds

US
32 posts

#4. "RE: USA Models" | In response to Reply # 3

Thu 21-Jun-12 02:13 PM

Thank you for the recommendation. I will check with KEH. Safety trumps savings for me.

MEMcD

US
31314 posts

#5. "RE: USA Models" | In response to Reply # 0

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007
Thu 21-Jun-12 08:24 PM

Hi Jeffrey,

Welcome to Nikonians!
While Nikon Service will not work on Gray Market gear all of the Nikon Authorized Service Stations will service Gray Market Gear.

When buying used gear, It is best to buy from someone that you trust.
KEH prices are at the top of the market but they stand behind everything that they sell by providing a 6 month warranty on the used gear. They also rate condition conservatively.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

ajdooley

Waterloo, US
3330 posts

#6. "RE: USA Models" | In response to Reply # 0

ajdooley Gold Member Nikonian since 25th May 2006
Thu 21-Jun-12 08:57 PM

As I learned recently when I almost bought a refurbished 14-24mm f2.8 Nikkor from Nikon, there are added charges as you approach the end of the process: namely, shipping and sales taxes. In the end I was saving less than $100 and getting only a 90 day warrantee. So it was a questionable deal offered at best. Again, the added charges emerged only at the end of the purchase process -- a matter I have addressed with Nikon and received no response to date. Caveat Emptor!

Alan
Waterloo, IL, USA
www.proimagingmidamerica.com

buckreynolds

US
32 posts

#7. "RE: USA Models" | In response to Reply # 6

Thu 21-Jun-12 09:02 PM

Wow. Thanks for the warning. I've heard Nikon doesn't confirm shipping, so you can be sitting there wondering what's up and a package will suddenly arrive. Hidden charges certainly don't help anyone.

At this point I'm leaning toward waiting to see what the D600 is, and then step into FF with either a new one of those, or a D700 from a good source (as recommended above).

I certainly appreciate all of the suggestions I've received here. Its good to be a Nikonian.

ZoneV

US
3564 posts

#8. "RE: USA Models" | In response to Reply # 6

ZoneV Silver Member Nikonian since 07th Jan 2005
Sun 24-Jun-12 11:42 AM

>As I learned recently when I almost bought a refurbished
>14-24mm f2.8 Nikkor from Nikon, there are added charges as you
>approach the end of the process: namely, shipping and sales
>taxes. In the end I was saving less than $100 and getting
>only a 90 day warrantee. So it was a questionable deal
>offered at best. Again, the added charges emerged only at the
>end of the purchase process -- a matter I have addressed with
>Nikon and received no response to date. Caveat Emptor!

How much were these added charges?

Nikon user since 2000

ajdooley

Waterloo, US
3330 posts

#9. "RE: USA Models" | In response to Reply # 8

ajdooley Gold Member Nikonian since 25th May 2006
Mon 25-Jun-12 09:05 PM

There was sales tax and shipping -- I think that was about $15 to ship and sales tax came to about $112. The shippign was for UPS ground, and I could do that. It was more if I wanted it faster. So added to 1799.00 which was a $200 savings over the new price, that left me with a used item (albeit refurbished) and a 90 day vice 5 year warrantee, for a saving of about $73 dollars. Since I didn't know why the lens had been refurbished or anything else about it -- I both passed on it and wrote a letter to Nikon on 5 May. Nothing heard as of 25 June.

Alan
Waterloo, IL, USA
www.proimagingmidamerica.com

G