Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Auto ISO on D700

Windy Vision

Terry, US
105 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
Windy Vision Registered since 01st Jul 2004
Mon 12-Apr-10 01:18 PM

I have not been able to figure out how to re-set the D700 back to auto ISO after I have manualy changed the ISO on top of the camera. There are times that I want the ISO at a particular setting but once I take the shot the ISO does not convert back to the auto mode and of course the shutter speed drops back to 60th of a second in low light conditions which makes any moving objects blurry. My minium shutter speed is 60th of a second. I am seeing the auto ISO mode on the top of the display on the camera; however the ISO is remaining at the manual setting that I have entered earlier. It is operator error I know but this operator is somewhat confussed right now. I have almost 40 images that are too blurry to use as the auto ISO did not change as I thought it should have and the shutter speed of 60th of a second was defaulted by the camera. What option setting have I missed? Thanks, I am back to the manual researching. I mainly shot in aperature mode to control the DOF.

briantilley

Paignton, UK
30235 posts

#1. "RE: Auto ISO on D700" | In response to Reply # 0

briantilley Gold Member Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Donor Ribbon awarded for his support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003
Mon 12-Apr-10 12:01 PM

ISO Auto is selected by setting ISO sensitivity auto control to ON in ISO sensitivity settings in the Shooting Menu. Once you have done that, as you probably know, you can select the minimum shutter speed that you want - when the camera's chosen shutter speed drops below the value you enter here, the ISO value will be raised accordingly.

Setting a specific ISO value via the top button / command dial does not turn ISO Auto off - it just means that the ISO will stay at what you set it to until the shutter speed drops below the minimum value you have set.

If you want to use ISO Auto to ensure sharp shots of moving subjects, then you'll need to set the minimum shutter speed to something higher, like 1/500th.

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

Asgard

East Frisia, DE
60635 posts

#2. "RE: Auto ISO on D700" | In response to Reply # 0

Asgard Administrator He is your Chief Guardian Angel at the Helpdesk and knows a lot about a lot Nikonian since 07th Apr 2004
Mon 12-Apr-10 12:08 PM

You are in Auto-Mode, but in exposure modes P and A, sensitivity will only be adjusted if underexposure would result at the shutter speed selected for Minimum shutter speed.

Gerold - Nikonian in East Frisia
Eala Freya Fresena

Windy Vision

Terry, US
105 posts

#3. "RE: Auto ISO on D700" | In response to Reply # 2

Windy Vision Registered since 01st Jul 2004
Mon 12-Apr-10 12:30 PM

You guys are great! I was using the suggested settings and I had the minimum shutter speed programed at 60th of a second. I will change the settings to at least 250th and hopefuly the auto ISO will change as needed. One more question is why the ISO is blinking on top under the f/stop and speed when I have not changed the ISO settings. The manual, what I have read says the ISO will blink when ever the ISO is re-set. Does it flash when the image is going to be under exposed? That does not make any sense? I should have know to have placed the camera mode in the speed mode instead of the aperature mode but I did not want the camera taking images and f/2.8 but rather at f/4.0 or smaller like around f/5.6 when shooting indoors. Instead when I did set the camera to 125th of a second the camera did use f/2.8 and it appeared that the ISO did not change as is should have, maybe? You guys have answered part of my question and I will have to figure out why, if a high ISO is being used in auto mode is the camera shooting at the largest f stop. Time to start shooting in the M mode I guess?

briantilley

Paignton, UK
30235 posts

#4. "RE: Auto ISO on D700" | In response to Reply # 3

briantilley Gold Member Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Donor Ribbon awarded for his support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003
Mon 12-Apr-10 12:44 PM

The "ISO AUTO" display in the top panel (and in the viewfinder) blinks when ISO Auto is ON and the shutter speed has fallen below the minimum value that you chose, to warn you that the camera has raised the ISO value.

Using Shutter Priority doesn't play as well with ISO Auto; I generally use Aperture Priority and ISO Auto myself. In Shutter Priority with a shutter speed of 1/125th you will get 1/125th, because it's higher than the minimum of 1/60th that you set in ISO Auto so ISO Auto will not kick in.

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

G