Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

A question about the D700...

Wingman

Kimberley, CA
1653 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
Wingman Silver Member Awarded for sharing his excellent work and continued contribution to the forums, most notably at the Aviation forum. Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 02nd Dec 2002
Sun 29-Nov-09 09:47 PM | edited Sun 29-Nov-09 09:55 PM by Wingman

I currently use a D2Xs and a D300. I'm very happy with the IQ of these cameras and find they do what I want done, except in one situation. I photograph racing airplanes in Reno every year. These racers are running up to 500 mph, often straight at me, so are VERY demanding of an autofocus system! I have been able to use D3 bodies borrowed from NPS (a sponsor of the Races) for the last couple of years. Nikon says the D300 has the same AF "engine" as the D3, but I have very consistently found that my percentage of "keepers" is considerably higher with the D3 even though I am using a 300 F4 with TC-14 for the D3 and usually a straight 300 with the smaller camera. Moose Peterson, who also shoots the Races, agrees with me on this question, so I'm not imagining things. I am sure that the D3 has a considerably better AF speed for this application.

I'm now considering springing for the big gun, even though my wife mutters about having too many cameras already.

What I'm now wondering, is whether I could go for a D700 instead and get the same benefit? Has anybody out there used the D300, D3, and D700 enough in demanding focussing situations to say whether the D700 is as good as the D3 at really fast-moving subjects, or closer to the D300?

This shot was done with a D300 -- I have no concerns about the IQ with the D300 just the focussing speed and percentage of in focus publishable shots.

Thanks for any opinions...

Neal Nurmi

---Wingman Photo---

Click on image to view larger version

Attachment#1 (jpg file)

agitater

Toronto, CA
4527 posts

#1. "RE: A question about the D700..." | In response to Reply # 0

agitater Gold Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 18th Jan 2007
Sun 29-Nov-09 11:58 PM | edited Sun 29-Nov-09 11:59 PM by agitater

The D3 and D700 autofocus modules are the Nikon TTL phase detection MultiCAM 3500FX versions. The D300 contains the MultiCAM 3500DX module. The modules are not interchangeable, and internally they're not exactly the same. The 3500FX design is an evolution of the earlier DX module. The processing engines and programming in the D3 and D700 are somewhat more advanced than the D300. Compare the autofocus performance (focus acquisiton speed, tracking accuracy, etc.) of the same lens on all three cameras and you'll find that the D300 lags slightly, and that the D700 and D3 are essentially identical to each other and faster than the D300.

I've used all three. They're all great cameras. The D700 is my all purpose workhorse. Depending on the lens, the D700 can handle anything well, and most things beautifully. In any case, it would be my choice for the purpose you described.

I think your shot is very good. It's possible to get a higher percentage of keepers with a D700 I think. But the D300 remains a great camera IMO, so I also think it's more likely that mechanically faster lenses and digging deeper to find ways to tweak your technique with this subject matter may make an even bigger improvement to your percentage of keepers.

My Photo.Net Gallery
My Nikonians Gallery

Howard Carson

Wingman

Kimberley, CA
1653 posts

#2. "RE: A question about the D700..." | In response to Reply # 1

Wingman Silver Member Awarded for sharing his excellent work and continued contribution to the forums, most notably at the Aviation forum. Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 02nd Dec 2002
Mon 30-Nov-09 02:41 AM | edited Mon 30-Nov-09 02:53 AM by Wingman

Thanks for the quick and detailed reply. I agree about the D300 -- as I said, I'm delighted with the image quality (as I am with the D2x and even the D200 at its best). I feel no need for a full frame camera for quality issues at all. I and others doing this sort of shooting have, however, found that the D3 simply does focus better -- my technique is certainly the same with both cameras and there is a significant difference in the results. Also, I should have mentioned that my 300 mm lenses are AFS versions, so are pretty fast-focussing, and I've been covering this event since 1976 so feel my technique is pretty well-honed. Try doing this work with Kodachrome II and a 1970s manual focus 300 F4.5 -- which how I started out!

Maybe a D700 is the answer...

I would like more opinions and observations on the D3 vs D700 issue, if anybody out there has any.

Thanks again.

Neal Nurmi

---Wingman Photo---

blw

Richmond, US
28571 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to send message via AOL IM

#3. "RE: A question about the D700..." | In response to Reply # 2

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004
Mon 30-Nov-09 06:40 AM

I don't know what is in a D700, but I'm told that the D3 has two chips for AF and the D300 has just one - which would go a long way toward explaining how the D3 tracks better. I've only used a D700 in static situations (landscapes) so cannot comment on its performance. My suspicion is that it has only one chip though, given the large difference in price. But I really have no idea.

_____
Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member

My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!

Garrett Hayes

Lucan, Ireland, IE
287 posts

#4. "RE: A question about the D700..." | In response to Reply # 3

Garrett Hayes Gold Member Nikonian since 03rd Nov 2004
Mon 30-Nov-09 09:40 AM

I have a similar interest in photographing aircraft in flight, but usually much slower, as they are about to land. I have both a D300 and a D700 and I tend to use the D300 for these shots. The reason? I can hold the D300 more easily and with the DX magnification factor of 1.5, I can use a shorter lens, less chance of camera shake, which I find is an issue. I use the D700 for static displays or if I can get really close to the runway, which is infrequent, due to safety restrictions.

GH

agitater

Toronto, CA
4527 posts

#5. "RE: A question about the D700..." | In response to Reply # 3

agitater Gold Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 18th Jan 2007
Mon 30-Nov-09 10:31 AM

Nikon USA has been quoted elsewhere on Nikonians (and on competing forums too) stating that the autofocus system in the D700 is exactly (Nikon's emphasis) the same as the D3. A Nikon Canada rep at the Henry's Digital Imaging & Photography Show in Toronto in October 2008 told me the exact same thing directly (when I asked about the differences between the two cameras).

My Photo.Net Gallery
My Nikonians Gallery

Howard Carson

wrdpico

US
157 posts

#6. "RE: A question about the D700..." | In response to Reply # 0

wrdpico Silver Member Nikonian since 21st Jan 2009
Wed 02-Dec-09 02:48 PM

Outstanding image. I use the D700 for slow speed low light stuff and am pleased with the results. I can't comment on your application - other than saying - oustanding image!

wrdpico

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

vicmac64

UK
84 posts

#7. "RE: A question about the D700..." | In response to Reply # 6

vicmac64 Registered since 27th Dec 2006
Sun 06-Dec-09 03:50 PM

One of the very best aircraft shots I have ever seen - can only say the D700 will do no better - in fact the loss of the crop factor may well disappoint. However if you need a camera that excels at low light photography you can't go wrong (but remember a 300mm lens on a DX is effectively 450mm on an FX it is a lowly 300mm - and yes the tc's will degrade your images. www.vmphotography.co.uk

ajdooley

Waterloo, US
3330 posts

#8. "RE: A question about the D700..." | In response to Reply # 7

ajdooley Gold Member Nikonian since 25th May 2006
Thu 24-Dec-09 02:51 PM | edited Thu 24-Dec-09 02:54 PM by ajdooley

Concerning the wife's objections to adding another camera to the "herd:" years ago in Japan I was able to get a deal on an F-3, five lenses and a pile of filters, flashes, etc. I was asked how I would explain it to Mama, and I said I would handle it like a man: I wouldn't tell her. Except for the discerning, if you've seen one black camera you've pretty muchly seen them all! A chrome-black mix is too obvious, and just don't ever let all the equipment show up in the same place at the same time. If you get caught, buy her a necklace and tell her you needed the new camera to photograph her wearing it. She'll know better, but you'll be off the hook until the next time.

And PS - Great aerial shot!

Alan
Waterloo, IL, USA
www.proimagingmidamerica.com

G