Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
jasonikon

UK
5 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
jasonikon Registered since 13th Apr 2008
Thu 24-Jul-08 08:09 AM

anybody got simple answers to simple Qs. Seems to be a lot of doom around about the DX on FX sensors. I just put my 17-55mm on my FM2 and, hey presto, the vignetting disappears as soon as it reaches its 'digital' or 'true' focal length, i.e. 24mm. Im not trying to outsmart anyone here, i just want answers before i splurge on a d700. So does this mean that all DX lenses will behave in the same way, in which case its no big deal, is it? I mean you just put a little marker at the 24mm or wherever the lens stops vignetting and away you go....this make sense....i mean we all bought the 17-55 knowing we were getting a 24mm-70 something, just turns into a 24mm-55mm on the d700, doesnt it? Id like to know, Rockwell seems to suggest that the whole affair drops to below the resolution of a D40 which it would if you were only limited to the centre 'DX' part of the sensor...but are you? Answers please guys. Many thanks

jasonikon

briantilley

Paignton, UK
30235 posts

#1. "RE: dx on d700" | In response to Reply # 0

briantilley Gold Member Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Donor Ribbon awarded for his support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003
Thu 24-Jul-08 06:37 AM

It varies from lens to lens. The 12-24mm DX covers the FX frame from about 17-18mm upwards, but many DX lenses do not cover the FX frame at ANY focal length. The 18-200mm DX is one such.

Even if the coverage is there, you'd be using the lens in a way that wasn't intended, and image quality may fall away.

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

jasonikon

UK
5 posts

#2. "RE: dx on d700" | In response to Reply # 1

jasonikon Registered since 13th Apr 2008
Thu 24-Jul-08 08:45 AM

so in reality, it is probably better to stick with the marvellous d300 and use the dx lenses as they were intended. I often wonder at what point these advances become a little redundant. For sure the d300 was a quantum leap over the d200 but dont you think that beyond a certain point one's photographic skills/styles may begin to counterbalance the advances. I dont know, I might be talking complete rubbish, particularly since I havent even tried a d700 yet, with any lens...just trying to talk myself out of spending a whole pile of dosh on basically a new kit!

Cheers

JASONIKON

Spectric

North Cumbria, UK
417 posts

#3. "RE: dx on d700" | In response to Reply # 2

Spectric Registered since 04th Nov 2004
Fri 25-Jul-08 10:30 AM

Hi all

As a serious amateur I have read and studied everything to do with taking pictures & using my camera but you eventually learn that no mater how good you are at using the tools, you have no control over the light and the hardest thing to learn is actually composition.

I used to go on vacation & always take lots of images and then bin most once I got home, then as my knowledge & experience grew I would take more time at the shoot, delete the obvious no hopers there & then & only bring home the better shots. I then reached the stage where I would bring home many good shots but they were good shots of nothing, lacking a focus or point of interest & only I really knew the intentions. One thing I have learnt is that when you see a shot stop & capture it as it's no good saying I will do it on the way back !

Now I spend more time looking at a scene, evaluating it and finding the best point from which to shoot only to be defeated by the weather or light, good old british summertime !

all the best
Roy

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

RoFus

Luxembourg, LU
119 posts

#4. "RE: dx on d700" | In response to Reply # 2

RoFus Silver Member Nikonian since 14th Nov 2004
Fri 25-Jul-08 12:32 PM

the D700 User Manual Page 60 keeps the answer quite short: "DX lenses are designed for use on DX format cameras...".

G