Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

D700 Markins plate

sutterdoc1

US
23 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
sutterdoc1 Registered since 15th Sep 2006
Mon 21-Jul-08 08:34 PM | edited Mon 21-Jul-08 09:04 PM by sutterdoc1

I will be leaving for a trip in two weeks and hope to have a D700 by that time however I will be needing a new base plate for my Markins m20. Any suggestion? I currently have a D200 plate. Thanks.

johno

St. Louis, US
525 posts

#1. "RE: D700 Markins plate" | In response to Reply # 0

johno Silver Member Nikonian since 23rd May 2006
Mon 21-Jul-08 08:11 PM | edited Mon 21-Jul-08 08:11 PM by johno

My D200 plate worked on the D300, but it doesn't appear to fit the D700 -- just from looking at it the camera shape appears to present a bad fit.

While this may seem awful, if you get in a pinch and absolutely need a mounting plate, you could Dremel off the flanges that go above the flat surface of the mounting plate. (The part that nestles the lens mount on the D200/300. It would look bad, but it would be a last-ditch solution that would be attainable if all else fails when its time to leave for the trip.

DKESLERFL

Miami (Coconut Grove), US
3198 posts

#2. "RE: D700 Markins plate" | In response to Reply # 0

DKESLERFL Registered since 21st Mar 2003
Tue 22-Jul-08 03:02 AM

We go through this with every new body when they first come out. I bought the MB10 and ordered a Markins plate to use while I wait. Kirk seems to get up to speed a little quicker than RRS.

Regards,

Don Kesler

http://www.donaldkesler.com

Through the judicious use of adjustment layers, no pixels were actually harmed in the processing of my shots..

RWCooper

Winnipeg, CA
1019 posts

#3. "RE: D700 Markins plate" | In response to Reply # 0

RWCooper Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Jul 2004
Tue 22-Jul-08 10:42 AM

Hi,

I assume you are asking about an Arca style base plate. If so you might want to consider the the RRS MC-L generic L bracket as an interim solution. I have used mine with an F4, FM3a, D70 and D200 and plan to use it on my D700 until I a proper L bracket for the D700 is available. Using this bracket with the D700 (and D200, D70 for that matter) you may not be able to open the door on the left hand side (looking at the camera from the rear), but for me that is not an issue.

I hope this helps.

Enjoy!

Randy

DKESLERFL

3198 posts

#4. "RE: D700 Markins plate" | In response to Reply # 3

Tue 22-Jul-08 01:49 PM

That is a good point Randy. Is it still possible/normal/feasible with the generic to have cords sticking out of the port with the L bracket on?

Regards,

Don Kesler

Through the judicious use of adjustment layers, no pixels were actually harmed in the processing of my shots..

RWCooper

Winnipeg, CA
1019 posts

#5. "RE: D700 Markins plate" | In response to Reply # 4

Tue 22-Jul-08 03:39 PM

Well, to be perfectly honest I haven't tried that. Given the number of attachment points along the bottom of the L-plate you could mount the plate so that there is a gap between the side of the camera and the L-plate to allow the door to open wider which might work.

Randy

nrothschild

US
10916 posts

#6. "RE: D700 Markins plate" | In response to Reply # 0

nrothschild Neil is an expert in several areas, including camera support Registered since 25th Jul 2004
Tue 22-Jul-08 07:40 PM | edited Tue 22-Jul-08 07:41 PM by nrothschild

Early adopters may want to consider the Wimberly generic camera plate. That should fit anything. It might be a handy thing to keep around for these once a year or every other year events, tiding you over until you get a custom bracket. I'd rather do that than hack up a good custom plate that could then be resold.

Neil

my Nikonians gallery.

DKESLERFL

3198 posts

#7. "RE: D700 Markins plate" | In response to Reply # 5

Tue 22-Jul-08 09:39 PM

Thanks for the feedback. I work tethered quite a bit with a USB cable and somtimes an AC adapter attached as well. I really don't like having to get two custom L brackets for one body.

Regards,

Don Kesler

RWCooper

Winnipeg, CA
1019 posts

#8. "RE: D700 Markins plate" | In response to Reply # 7

Wed 23-Jul-08 10:27 AM

Hi,

I took a look at one of my MC-L plates last night and it has a very large opening on the side. Once I get my D700 I'll attach the MC-L to it and post my findings.

Enjoy!

Randy

BTW: I'm first on the list at my local store, so I'm hoping to get the camera July 25th (fingers crossed).

DKESLERFL

3198 posts

#9. "RE: D700 Markins plate" | In response to Reply # 8

Wed 23-Jul-08 01:58 PM

Thanks Randy,

I'm number 1 at Berger Brothers and one of the first NPS orders in the Nikon system so I'm hoping I can quit thinking about all this and start using it pretty soon - mainly to see where I stand with existing lenses such as the 28-70 2.8 the 70-200VR and the Sigma 120-300 2.8.. If the Sigma does a nice job I will be ecstatic because I will slot it in where the 70-200 used to fit.

I also ordered the SB900 and I'm curious to see if Nikon goes ahead and sends me one.

I look forward to hearing your assessment

Regards,

Don Kesler

drbrog

Chicago, US
870 posts

#10. "RE: D700 Markins plate" | In response to Reply # 6

drbrog Platinum Member Charter Member
Thu 24-Jul-08 12:42 PM

Shouldn't the D300 plate work on the D700? I would think so since the MBD-10 fits both bodies.

Jay Newmark
A Chicago Nikonian

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

RWCooper

Winnipeg, CA
1019 posts

#11. "RE: D700 Markins plate" | In response to Reply # 0

Fri 25-Jul-08 09:27 PM

Hi,

I've attached the RRS MC-L plate to my D700. There are several mounting holes along the bottom of this plate. It can be mounted so that the vertical part of the L is snug against the rubber door blocking access too the connectors behind the door. I have it mounted with a small gap between the door and the plate so that I do not mar the camera. If you mount it to get the largest gap between the door and the camera you can get the door open but it rubs against the bracket and is a bit squished.

I'll be glad when my custom bracket arrives from RRS, even if it is a bit on the ugly side.

Enjoy!

Randy

imageswest

BF
358 posts

#12. "RE: D700 Markins plate" | In response to Reply # 10

imageswest Registered since 18th Jul 2004
Fri 25-Jul-08 09:33 PM

>Shouldn't the D300 plate work on the D700? I would think so
>since the MBD-10 fits both bodies.

The RRS D300 L-bracket will not fit the D700, so I would expect that the plate wouldn't fit, either.

G