Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

"To 14 bit or not to 14 bit, that is the question?"

glxman

South Australia, AU
6750 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
glxman Moderator Awarded for his high level skills, specially in Wildlife & Landscape Photography Nikonian since 04th Oct 2008
Fri 27-Feb-09 05:32 AM

Hi Guys,

After many searches here at Nikonians, I am still not sure?

Somewhere in the data, it was indicated that 14 bit would be a better choice for landscape, in saying that, there are some contradictions,

For example, it was suggested that a change from 12 to 14 bit would not have a noticeable difference?

I am trying to clear up some of these options so that I can make a more "informed choice" for my 3mth trip starting May this year,

I'm now shooting RAW for everything, (wish I had started that way from day 1),

So, should I switch over to 14 bit for a landscape session or not?

Last but not least, would I be asking for trouble if shot a mixture of 12 bit and 14 bit on the same card? or even a mixture of RAW and jpeg for that matter?

Regards,
Gary

robsb

San Jose, US
14974 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to send message via AOL IM

#1. "RE: "To 14 bit or not to 14 bit, that is the question?"" | In response to Reply # 0

robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Donor Ribbon awarded for his enthusiastic and repeated support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2015 Nikonian since 23rd Aug 2006
Fri 27-Feb-09 06:17 AM

Gary I shoot 14 bit because even though by eye the differences can't usually be seen, you are working with a whole lot more bits which means your post processing is less likely to create artifacts.

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

"Nikonians membership - My most important photographic investment, after the
camera"

Retirement is a gift of time - Don't waste it!
Old age is a special gift that very few receive. Be thankful if you get it.

markscamera

Morristown, US
1614 posts

#2. "RE: "To 14 bit or not to 14 bit, that is the question?"" | In response to Reply # 1

markscamera Registered since 05th Aug 2006
Fri 27-Feb-09 06:57 AM

Gary, I'm currently working with the NX2 eBook and it says that 14 bit will bring out a little more dnr, a little and it may or may not make a difference. I shoot 12 bit currently, I don't think my skills are good enough to see a difference in pp yet.
Mark Stephan
USN, retired ...GO Navy!

glxman

South Australia, AU
6750 posts

#3. "RE: "To 14 bit or not to 14 bit, that is the question?"" | In response to Reply # 2

glxman Moderator Awarded for his high level skills, specially in Wildlife & Landscape Photography Nikonian since 04th Oct 2008
Fri 27-Feb-09 11:11 AM

Thanks Guys,

Tks Bob,

14 bit it is then!

Hi Mark,
I will go the 14 bit way, my NX2 and PP skills are poor but should be able to improve the RAW files at a later date hopefully

I just might have to buy a few more cards at 14 bit!

Regards,
Gary

sbruno

Baltimore, US
109 posts

#4. "RE: "To 14 bit or not to 14 bit, that is the question?"" | In response to Reply # 0

sbruno Registered since 12th Feb 2007
Fri 27-Feb-09 12:17 PM

I'm working in 14 bit as well. I remember seeing an article/review while back that showed that 14 bit is capable of bringing out much more shadow detail. I haven't done a direct comparison between 14 and 12 bits, but I can say that 14 does beat the socks off of JPEG.

Not sure if it helps when recovering highlights or not, but that would make sense.

Steve

http://www.stevebrunophotography.com

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sbruno

Tongariro

London, UK
404 posts

#5. "RE: "To 14 bit or not to 14 bit, that is the question?"" | In response to Reply # 3

Tongariro Registered since 14th Jul 2007
Fri 27-Feb-09 02:16 PM

Keep the RAW files after you have done your edits in NX2. You don't need to save a different version, just do a normal save of the NEF file. The files will include the original version & you can redo all of the edits if you wish. Should your NX skills improve over time, you can then revisit the files you processed earlier & process them better.

Jason Odell's guide to NX2 is very good & comprehensible.

Bridget

glxman

South Australia, AU
6750 posts

#6. "RE: "To 14 bit or not to 14 bit, that is the question?"" | In response to Reply # 4

Sat 28-Feb-09 07:45 AM

Hi Bridget, and Steve,

Tks, I am going the 14 bit way but I will have to buy more cards,

Bridget is right about shooting raw, I have messed up a lot of images and have gone back later and done a better job after a bit of reading,

Re the jpeg Steve, I used jpeg on day 1, Vivid, and ADL auto, I have managed to do a bit with them but most are a lost cause, it was blowing a gale at the time, (new toy, if thats going to stop me!", so a few not as sharp as I would like,

Regards,
Gary

D_100

NL
308 posts

#7. "RE: "To 14 bit or not to 14 bit, that is the question?"" | In response to Reply # 6

D_100 Silver Member Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004
Sat 28-Feb-09 03:49 PM

Hi All,

Bob Johnson wrote an article about 12 or 14 bit photography,take a look at Bob's http://www.earthboundlight.com/

Dutch Nikonian
Shoot everything without bullets.

Music was my first love,photography my last.

www.arthurbender.nl

glxman

South Australia, AU
6750 posts

#8. "RE: "To 14 bit or not to 14 bit, that is the question?"" | In response to Reply # 7

Sat 28-Feb-09 11:52 PM

Tks,

Some very technical stuff there!

Not sure I have a grasp of it all but it appears the margin for improvement is small,

Going on Bob Baldassano's advice, (less artifacts in PP), that's good enough for me!

Trying to capture as much info as I can shooting landscape, 14 bit is not going to slow me down anyway,

Regards,
Gary

robsb

San Jose, US
14974 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to send message via AOL IM

#9. "RE: "To 14 bit or not to 14 bit, that is the question?"" | In response to Reply # 8

robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Donor Ribbon awarded for his enthusiastic and repeated support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2015 Nikonian since 23rd Aug 2006
Sun 01-Mar-09 06:12 AM

When you talk of 12 bit vs 14 bit, the difference seems small but this is binary, so in 8 bit you can represent 256 values with black as 0 and 255 as white, in 12 bit it is 4096 values with black as 0 and white as 4095. But with 14 bit it is a wopping 16384 values with o again being black and 16383 being white. this gives you nice smooth transitions, better color representation, etc. It helps especially in bringing out details in shadows.

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

camera"

glxman

South Australia, AU
6750 posts

#10. "RE: "To 14 bit or not to 14 bit, that is the question?"" | In response to Reply # 9

Sun 01-Mar-09 06:54 AM

Tks Bob,

Technically, that is a huge difference! I can see why it, (14 bit), might slow the "machine gunners" down,

Will try out some 14 bit tomorrow and see how much bigger the file is,

Regards,
Gary

LMMiller9

Potomac, US
1169 posts

#11. "RE: "To 14 bit or not to 14 bit, that is the question?"" | In response to Reply # 10

LMMiller9 Silver Member Nikonian since 18th Dec 2005
Sun 01-Mar-09 11:30 AM

We had a long thread on this some time ago and I kept pushing someone to show me a comparative photo where you could see the difference. I took a bunch of comparative shots myself and looked at them every way I could imagine and I could never find any difference that the human eye could see.

But, of course, technically there is a difference, somewhere hidden under what the human eye can see. So, based on everyone trying to convince me that there is a difference, despite the incompetence of the human eye, and given the very low price of storage space, I said to myself, "what the h..., and now just shoot in 14bit all the time. It is not worth going back and forth from 12 to 14.

Larry Miller, Potomac, MD
DF/D810
http://lmmillerphotography.smugmug.com/

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

glxman

South Australia, AU
6750 posts

#12. "RE: "To 14 bit or not to 14 bit, that is the question?"" | In response to Reply # 11

Sun 01-Mar-09 09:48 PM

Hi Harry,

Bobs point about less artifacts in PP would get me over the line anyway,

As technology progresses, there may be a future edit that uses all that info!

Regards,
Gary

QMaze

Windsor, CA
124 posts

#13. "RE: "To 14 bit or not to 14 bit, that is the question?"" | In response to Reply # 0

QMaze Registered since 09th Dec 2008
Mon 02-Mar-09 01:06 PM | edited Mon 02-Mar-09 01:06 PM by QMaze

I've always looked at photography like this Gary. We get one opportunity to capture time, if I can capture as much detail and information as I possibly can I will take advantage of that. Hence the reason I shoot at 14bit, uncompressed NEF and color space at AdobeRGB.

glxman

South Australia, AU
6750 posts

#14. "RE: "To 14 bit or not to 14 bit, that is the question?"" | In response to Reply # 13

Mon 02-Mar-09 08:49 PM

That makes sense actually!

When I was shooting film, I always wanted the best film, camera and glass I could find! (budget limited what I found!)

The only drawback for my next trip will be storage, but will at least shoot all landscape on 14 bit,

The trap being, "did change the camera setting 500 miles back?"

Regards,
Gary

shooters_desire

Indianapolis, US
15 posts

#15. "RE: "To 14 bit or not to 14 bit, that is the question?"" | In response to Reply # 14

shooters_desire Registered since 03rd Sep 2009
Wed 10-Mar-10 03:07 AM

i believe the difference is in processing. You won't see the difference but when you go to process it in toning is where you'll see the difference. I Dareell youngs Mastering the Nikon D300 he mentiones how 14 bit is much better off. i'm thinkin it would be better in shooting 5 brackets for HDR

sidewinder

US
737 posts

#16. "RE: "To 14 bit or not to 14 bit, that is the question?"" | In response to Reply # 13

sidewinder Silver Member Nikonian since 05th Jan 2010
Wed 10-Mar-10 04:45 AM | edited Wed 10-Mar-10 05:06 AM by sidewinder

>Hence the reason I shoot at 14bit, uncompressed NEF and color space at AdobeRGB.

Except that the color space you choose in your camera is irrelevant if you are shooting at 14-bit uncompressed RAW. I have Capture NX 2 open my NEF files (12 or 14-bit) into the ProPhoto RGB color space since it is the largest color space available. All my edits are done in that color space. Only when I am ready to print or save the NEF file as a JPEG is the color space changed.

I don't get too wrapped on in the 12-bit versus 14-bit debate. When I think I will need more than 2.5 FPS when in "CH" mode on my D300s, I switch to 12-bit. Otherwise I am in 14-bit.

Also, using "Lossless compressed" is just as good as uncompressed. As the name suggests, you lose no data using that setting.

Scott

glxman

South Australia, AU
6750 posts

#17. "RE: "To 14 bit or not to 14 bit, that is the question?"" | In response to Reply # 0

Wed 10-Mar-10 08:10 AM

Hi Guys, I'm still shooting 14bit!

Thought this thread had gone,

Now that it is back,

A new item has crept into this thread that I don't understand and have not been game to change as everything appears to be working OK, working on the old saying, "if it ain't broke, don't try and fix it!"

Since this thread started I gained more confidence both with the camera and NX2,

Colour space?

I don't even know what it is leave alone the effect if I make a change, secondly, I don't know whether the editing software prefers a particular colour space, I think I'm on RGB at the moment, will have to check the camera, I'm pretty sure it is the same there, and NX2,

Regards,
Gary

I used to have a photographic memory but never got it developed

KenLPhotos

Stewartstown, US
1937 posts

#18. "RE: "To 14 bit or not to 14 bit, that is the question?"" | In response to Reply # 17

KenLPhotos Gold Member Nikonian since 26th Jul 2009
Wed 10-Mar-10 09:34 AM

Google "Color Space" for much info.

Here is one link for starters.

https://www.nikonians.org/forums/dcboard.php?az=show_mesg&forum=226&topic_id=11320&mesg_id=22607

KenL

There are many 'photographs of beautiful objects' but not so many 'beautiful photographs of objects'.

cchoc

Marietta, US
5121 posts

#19. "RE: "To 14 bit or not to 14 bit, that is the question?"" | In response to Reply # 17

cchoc Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, most notably in Landscape Photography Charter Member
Wed 10-Mar-10 09:48 AM

Color space defines a gamut of colors. AdobeRGB is wider than sRGB, ProPhotoRGB is wider than Adobe RGB, etc.

If you shoot only raw it doesn't matter what is set in your camera since raw captures all the light the sensor is capable of recording and doesn't have a color space per se.

In PP you should choose the widest space available in whatever program you use, which will typically be ProPhotoRGB.

I have my camera set to AdobeRGB in case I ever shoot jpeg since jpeg's do have a color space, but again, raw files do not.

Charlie...
stalking light

"Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there." - Will Rogers

rmsphoto2009

Toronto, CA
156 posts

#20. "RE: "To 14 bit or not to 14 bit, that is the question?"" | In response to Reply # 13

rmsphoto2009 Silver Member Nikonian since 21st Jan 2009
Wed 10-Mar-10 11:02 AM

Hello:

I too shoot 14-bit NEF for the reasons already noted; Bob gives the most concise reasons why. I would suggest using Lossless compressed NEF to save card space. You're not buying much at all with uncompressed NEF in terms of image quality, noise, etc. It's "lossless", so it suggests no impact on quality. From my shooting, such a file represents about 60% the size of an uncompressed one. So, you're almost getting twice the card capacity without giving up quality.

Color space in NEF format is irrelevant, as it isn't applied during shooting. Once you bring it into your PP editor, you apply it there. It is a function of what output format you are targeting. For monitors, websites, etc. sRGB is fine. If you are having the shots printed professionally (i.e., magazines), then you'd likely go to AdobeRGB.

Regards,

Ralph.

>I've always looked at photography like this Gary. We get one
>opportunity to capture time, if I can capture as much detail
>and information as I possibly can I will take advantage of
>that. Hence the reason I shoot at 14bit, uncompressed NEF and
>color space at AdobeRGB.

gpoole

Farmington Hills, US
4132 posts

#21. "RE: "To 14 bit or not to 14 bit, that is the question?"" | In response to Reply # 13

gpoole Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Awarded for his very generous support to the Fundrasing Campaing 2014 Writer Ribbon awarded for his article contributions for the Articles library and the eZine Nikonian since 14th Feb 2004
Wed 10-Mar-10 12:54 PM

The amount of detail and information in uncompressed NEF and lossless compressed NEF is exactly the same. Lossless compressed is what is titled: lossless. The idea behind lossless compressed is the same a ZIP file format on a computer. Repeated sequences are stored using a shorthand that can be expanded back to the original when the file is used. With lossless compressed you are reducing storage space at the expense of slightly greater time to open the image. IMO you will never notice the time difference on any computer that is able to reasonably process and image.

Gary in SE Michigan, USA.
Nikonians membership - My most important photographic investment, after the camera.
D4, D810, D300 (720nm IR conversion), D90, F6, FM3a (black), FM2n (chrome)
YashicaMat 124, Graflex Speed Graphic 4x5
My Nikonians Gallery & Our Chapter Gallery

shooters_desire

Indianapolis, US
15 posts

#22. "RE: "To 14 bit or not to 14 bit, that is the question?"" | In response to Reply # 19

shooters_desire Registered since 03rd Sep 2009
Wed 10-Mar-10 01:14 PM

Is anyone familiar With HDR? If so this is one reason i want to attempt to shoot in 14 bit. Taking 5 bracketed shots that conform them to one, Using all the available colors , Light and shadows should make a lot better sharper picture. Tonight i will shoot this floral shop thats lit up and is beautiful in Indianapolis off southport. Also i will shoot this in 12 bit to compare Applws qith oranges. I have one of my camera settings to Brackets where i have the 14 bit setup. Most likely i will incorporate the 14 bits in Portraits as well. Landscape is my general setting for shooting everything or Action. I love the D300 i take her with me to work...lol. At least she doesn't talk back...

briantilley

Paignton, UK
30235 posts

#23. "RE: "To 14 bit or not to 14 bit, that is the question?"" | In response to Reply # 22

briantilley Gold Member Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Donor Ribbon awarded for his support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003
Wed 10-Mar-10 01:35 PM

>Is anyone familiar With HDR?

We have an HDR Software Forum for the postprocessing aspect of this technique.

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

glxman

South Australia, AU
6750 posts

#24. "RE: "To 14 bit or not to 14 bit, that is the question?"" | In response to Reply # 0

Wed 10-Mar-10 11:07 PM

>Ken
Did a google, got a lot of info, cant say I fully understand it but one link did give a pictorial representation, this gave me a better idea

>Charlie
Tks for the reply, will change it in NX2!

One thing I did pick up on my google searches was that all printers are not equal in regards to the colour space,

I guess you could just change that during printing?

Also, I believe that some monitors only accept a particular colour space?

With my limited knowledge in this area I may have read this wrong of course,

Is an Adobe colour space going to be OK using NX2?

Regards,
Gary

robsb

San Jose, US
14974 posts

#25. "RE: "To 14 bit or not to 14 bit, that is the question?"" | In response to Reply # 24

Wed 10-Mar-10 11:55 PM

Gary in today's world most printers and monitors work in sRGB. Now the net statement may blow your mind, but it is likely that your display will not show you all the colors that are capable in the color space you are in. This is especially true of Pro Photo space. Printer drivers take your image and translate the file to something they can produce. That is why programs like Photoshop have the ability to show you which colors are out of Gamut as they will not print correctly and usually you select how these will be printed by the perceptual choices you make so you get close. Some of the cheaper monitors don't even display the full color space of sRGB but rather dither the colors on the screen to make you think they do. Some MAC monitors also have this problem. That said, even though you can't see what is going on, the computer is still working with all the bits you captured in the color space you selected, so all the reasons for working in hi bit and broad color spaces still apply.

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

camera"

KnightPhoto

Alberta, CA
4969 posts

#26. "RE: "To 14 bit or not to 14 bit, that is the question?"" | In response to Reply # 24

KnightPhoto Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Dec 2006
Thu 11-Mar-10 12:35 AM

I can't seem to find a source for ProPhoto RGB for use with Capture NX2, all my google searches end up telling me to go to this page:

http://www.dodgecolor.com/downloads.html

Which flashes by and within 1 second I get redirected.
I tried both Safari, FireFox, and IE.

Any ideas?

Best regards, SteveK

'A camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera.' -- Dorothea Lange
My Nikonians gallery
My Nikonians Blog

sidewinder

US
737 posts

#27. "RE: "To 14 bit or not to 14 bit, that is the question?"" | In response to Reply # 26

Thu 11-Mar-10 01:19 AM

You just have to hit the "Stop loading this page" button. Or get it here:

http://www.dodgecolor.com/ProPhoto.icc.hqx

Scott

KnightPhoto

Alberta, CA
4969 posts

#28. "RE: "To 14 bit or not to 14 bit, that is the question?"" | In response to Reply # 27

KnightPhoto Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Dec 2006
Thu 11-Mar-10 02:08 AM

Thanks very much Scott, I used your link.

For the record, on my Mac, I put the ProPhoto.icc file in here and Voila Capture NX2 and ViewNX found it right away!:
Computer profiles: Library/ColorSync/Profiles/Nikon/

"This is the recommended place to install new profiles. These profiles are available to all users, and are available to be used by ColorSync Utility."

Best regards, SteveK

'A camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera.' -- Dorothea Lange
My Nikonians gallery
My Nikonians Blog

glxman

South Australia, AU
6750 posts

#29. "RE: "To 14 bit or not to 14 bit, that is the question?"" | In response to Reply # 0

Thu 11-Mar-10 10:16 AM

Hi Guys,

Just had a look at my NX2, its still on sRGB and does not list ProPhoto RGB,

I do not have photoshop and envisage editing with NX2 for some time yet,

Would it be true to say, "ProPhoto RGB would not be an advantage unless editing with Adobe photoshop?"

Regards,
Gary

cchoc

Marietta, US
5121 posts

#30. "RE: "To 14 bit or not to 14 bit, that is the question?"" | In response to Reply # 29

cchoc Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, most notably in Landscape Photography Charter Member
Thu 11-Mar-10 11:47 AM

> Would it be true to say, "ProPhoto RGB would not be an
> advantage unless editing with Adobe photoshop?"

No.

My NX2 lists ProPhotoRGB, but I also have Photoshop which is where it came from. You used to be able to download it for free, but the link I found doesn't seem to work any more.

At the very least you should use AdobeRGB which is a wider gamut than sRGB.

Charlie...
stalking light

"Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there." - Will Rogers

sidewinder

US
737 posts

#31. "RE: "To 14 bit or not to 14 bit, that is the question?"" | In response to Reply # 30

Thu 11-Mar-10 04:15 PM

>You used to be able to download it for free, but the link I found doesn't seem to work any more.

See post #27.

Scott

cchoc

Marietta, US
5121 posts

#32. "RE: "To 14 bit or not to 14 bit, that is the question?"" | In response to Reply # 31

Thu 11-Mar-10 04:22 PM

Ah, thanks.

Charlie...
stalking light

glxman

South Australia, AU
6750 posts

#33. "RE: "To 14 bit or not to 14 bit, that is the question?"" | In response to Reply # 0

Thu 11-Mar-10 08:51 PM

Tks Charlie,

I have been tempted to get Photoshop Elements for a couple of options, would PS Elements contain the ProPhoto profile or is it only in CS3 or CS4?

Regards,
Gary

cchoc

Marietta, US
5121 posts

#34. "RE: "To 14 bit or not to 14 bit, that is the question?"" | In response to Reply # 33

Thu 11-Mar-10 09:32 PM

I don't know about Elements but I would expect it does. There is a link above to a site where you can download ProPhotoRGB and use it in NX2, though, which would also work with Elements if it didn't already have it.

Charlie...
stalking light

glxman

South Australia, AU
6750 posts

#35. "RE: "To 14 bit or not to 14 bit, that is the question?"" | In response to Reply # 0

Fri 12-Mar-10 02:21 AM

Tks Charlie,

Will try and have a look at the specs next time I'm in town, did a search on the net but could not find the specs of the colour space,

Regards,
Gary

cchoc

Marietta, US
5121 posts

#36. "RE: "To 14 bit or not to 14 bit, that is the question?"" | In response to Reply # 35

Fri 12-Mar-10 10:42 AM

You can download a free trial of Elements from Adobe and check for sure.

You may want to have a look at Lightroom as well; more expensive than Elements but better at organizing and publishing photos, and it has the same raw 'engine' as ACR. You can also set up Lightroom to use NX2 as an external editor, or process raw files in NX2 and save as TIFF for import (you could import the save TIFF files into Elements too I think).

Charlie...
stalking light

glxman

South Australia, AU
6750 posts

#37. "RE: "To 14 bit or not to 14 bit, that is the question?"" | In response to Reply # 0

Fri 12-Mar-10 10:33 PM

Tks Charlie,

Will have a look on Monday, we have a street circuit car race in town at the moment,

Regards.
Gary

G