Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Why not include a user select DX/FX feature?

lawfarm

US
119 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
lawfarm Registered since 25th Jan 2007
Thu 03-Jul-08 03:12 PM

So the D700 permits use as an FX or DX camera, depending on what lens you install...

And if you read the reviews on people talking about whether or not they'll upgrade, you frequently see the comment that people will stick with a D300 because they like the extra DX reach that you can get out of lenses with the 1.5x crop feature...

So why doesn't Nikon include a selector switch where you can go DX to FX and back on FX lenses, instead of letting the camera auto-select. Slap on your 70-200 and use it as an FX...then flip the switch and go to DX mode for the 300mm shots (still at F2.8). Slap on your 50mm F1.8, shoot a few pics, and them flip into DX mode for a 75mm headshot.

Not fully understanding how the camera makes the DX/FX change, is there some mechanical reason this wouldn't work?

More glass than skill, but that is changing.

t774

Pecs, HU
40 posts

#1. "RE: Why not include a user select DX/FX feature?" | In response to Reply # 0

t774 Registered since 15th Aug 2006
Thu 03-Jul-08 01:16 PM

You can actually switch it from DX to FX and vice-versa. You can even switch it to FX with a DX lens mounted.

It's been a feature from the beginning (with the D3 and the D700). It's in the shooting menu.

Max Power

St. Paul, US
434 posts

#2. "RE: Why not include a user select DX/FX feature?" | In response to Reply # 0

Max Power Registered since 13th Jan 2006
Thu 03-Jul-08 01:24 PM

FX sensor cameras accommodate DX lenses, and they do it by automatically cropping out the edges if the image, netting the same result as a DX camera, albeit with a lower pixel count. You don't actually lose the "reach" as some people are describing it, just the pixel count of the D300 at that crop. If you are using a D70, you aren't even really losing much pixel count at all.

With the ISO performance of the FX sensor, you could get longer reach with a converter or a consumer lens and just run a higher ISO to compensate for lens speed.

If I understand what you are asking for, that would require both sensors to be in the camera, which isn't very practical from a cost standpoint. If the rumored 22mp D3X ever see light, the DX mode in that may be 12mp, which may be what your looking for.

It's not an optical illusion. It just looks like one.

AndyMac

Odessa, US
3652 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to send message via AOL IM

#3. "RE: Why not include a user select DX/FX feature?" | In response to Reply # 2

AndyMac Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Dec 2003
Thu 03-Jul-08 01:38 PM

A 22MP FX sensor would be a 9.2MP in DX, not 12.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Max Power

St. Paul, US
434 posts

#4. "RE: Why not include a user select DX/FX feature?" | In response to Reply # 3

Max Power Registered since 13th Jan 2006
Thu 03-Jul-08 03:29 PM

That's why I said "may be" as we don't even know if it would be a 22mp FX sensor.

I think you got the point.

It's not an optical illusion. It just looks like one.

IntegrityPhotos

Deerfield, US
1253 posts

#5. "RE: Why not include a user select DX/FX feature?" | In response to Reply # 4

IntegrityPhotos Registered since 26th Apr 2006
Thu 03-Jul-08 07:34 PM | edited Thu 03-Jul-08 07:52 PM by IntegrityPhotos

Depending on the interpretation of the original post, I believe it was correctly answered by the second poster. There wasn't any reference to using two different sensors, or providing for one sensor to serve both purposes since this would be physically impractical requiring moving the sensor back and forth a substantial distance. The only question was why not change the crop mode back and forth mechanically.

Whether or not it would be practical or not in the first place, since any kind of mechanical switching would entail a great deal more complexity and cost, the current software switching "crop" method makes perfect sense. Specifically, as long as the "Auto DX crop" mode isn't selected, this function can be quickly accessed by programming and using the Function or Preview or AE-L/AL-L Buttons plus the Main Command Dial. And as long as "Auto DX Crop" is NOT enabled, the default is to use the entire sensor (FX mode), no matter what lens is mounted. The lens perspective (FX or DX lens) determines how much of the sensor receives a usable image. If you want to switch to a DX crop with either a DX or FX lens, simply use the method above. What could be simpler! (This detail is listed on pages 63 and 64 of the D3 manual.)

OldPhotos
"If everyone possesses some measure of this intangible quality called creativity, photography is unprecedented as an outlet for its expression." - Ansel Adams

westcoast

California, US
835 posts

#6. "RE: Why not include a user select DX/FX feature?" | In response to Reply # 5

westcoast Silver Member Nikonian since 28th Jan 2007
Fri 04-Jul-08 02:17 AM | edited Fri 04-Jul-08 02:23 AM by westcoast

Just to be clear, if your in the Auto DX crop mode, do you still have the advantage of the 1.5x crop factor with DX lenses. From the previous post it sounds like you can force the DX crop mode with a FX lens. If so then the only disadvantage is that you can't go above 5.1MP in that mode, but you can have most of the cake and eat it too.

Arkayem

Richmond Hill, GA (Savannah), US
6134 posts

#7. "RE: Why not include a user select DX/FX feature?" | In response to Reply # 6

Arkayem Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in flash photography Charter Member
Mon 07-Jul-08 04:39 PM

>Just to be clear, if your in the Auto DX crop mode, do you
>still have the advantage of the 1.5x crop factor with DX
>lenses. From the previous post it sounds like you can force
>the DX crop mode with a FX lens. If so then the only
>disadvantage is that you can't go above 5.1MP in that mode,
>but you can have most of the cake and eat it too.

Another way to look at this is that you can shoot with the D700 in FX mode, and later in post processing, crop the center DX area out, and you end up with exactly the same thing as if you used that lens on a DX camera; the same pixel count, the same resolution, the same perceived 'reach'.

Russ
http://russmacdonald.smugmug.com/
http://NikonCLSPracticalGuide.blogspot.com/

rbeal

Cheltenham, UK
529 posts

#8. "RE: Why not include a user select DX/FX feature?" | In response to Reply # 7

rbeal Registered since 16th Aug 2006
Mon 07-Jul-08 06:52 PM

No that isn't right. Not the same pixel count. Only about 5 MP compared to the same picture with a D300 at 12 MP.

westcoast

California, US
835 posts

#9. "RE: Why not include a user select DX/FX feature?" | In response to Reply # 8

westcoast Silver Member Nikonian since 28th Jan 2007
Thu 10-Jul-08 01:38 AM

I would have to agree, based on the pixel density being different. So even if the area is the same, you wind up with more pixels with a D300. Since I have not used a FX camera before, I just did not realize you could force a FX lens into crop mode.

You could always crop in post processing, but in sports that could mean over a 1000 frames on Saturday, so I would rather not go that route. My needs aren't compelling for FX, but after this season, I will sell my D200, keep the D300 and see what new equipment will be available in June 2009. If that becomes a D400 or D700 I think I could be happy either way, it really just depends on the price.

G