Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Nikon D700 Discontinued

jcopeland

Cordova, US
593 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
jcopeland Registered since 22nd Nov 2008
Fri 24-Aug-12 05:17 AM

Looks as if the D700 is going the way of the D3s. B&H shows it discontinued and I just got an email newsletter from Photography Bay saying the same.

jc

Asgard

East Frisia, DE
60652 posts

#1. "RE: Nikon D700 Discontinued" | In response to Reply # 0

Asgard Administrator He is your Chief Guardian Angel at the Helpdesk and knows a lot about a lot Nikonian since 07th Apr 2004
Fri 24-Aug-12 08:15 AM

Nikon says the same:

http://imaging.nikon.com/lineup/discontinue/

Gerold - Nikonian in East Frisia
Eala Freya Fresena

HobokenJoe

Teaneck, US
39 posts

#2. "RE: Nikon D700 Discontinued" | In response to Reply # 1

HobokenJoe Registered since 20th Jun 2012
Fri 24-Aug-12 10:23 AM

Glad i got mine when i did but then again i always wait till minutes before they make the discontinuance announcement .

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

jgould2

Fort Pierce, US
4628 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to send message via AOL IM

#3. "RE: Nikon D700 Discontinued" | In response to Reply # 2

jgould2 Gold Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Nikonian since 13th Oct 2007
Fri 24-Aug-12 01:57 PM

Hi Cosimo.

Great timing! Great choice, you're going to love it.

JIM

LMMiller9

Potomac, US
1169 posts

#4. "RE: Nikon D700 Discontinued" | In response to Reply # 0

LMMiller9 Silver Member Nikonian since 18th Dec 2005
Fri 24-Aug-12 03:06 PM

And, Nikon Rumors, which has been amazingly accurate in its previous reports of upcoming products, is now reporting the imminent announcement of the D600, its appearance and specs. http://nikonrumors.com/2012/08/23/nikon-d600-is-coming-soon-no-news-on-the-d300s-and-d7000-replacements.aspx/

I wouldn't be too happy that you just bought a D700 since you will very soon be able to buy the D600 that will have FX 24mgpxls and is likely to be 1k less expensive.

Larry Miller, Potomac, MD
DF/D810
http://lmmillerphotography.smugmug.com/

Wingman

Kimberley, CA
1765 posts

#5. "RE: Nikon D700 Discontinued" | In response to Reply # 4

Wingman Silver Member Awarded for sharing his excellent work and continued contribution to the forums, most notably at the Aviation forum. Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 02nd Dec 2002
Sat 25-Aug-12 03:04 AM

It's interesting that people are suddenly talking about the D700 being somehow outmoded. I have a D800 and love it, but my D3 and D700 are still truly great cameras. 12 MP is plenty for 90% of what I shoot, and the general IQ and dynamic range of these cameras blow me away whenever I use them. For the time being at least, they will remain my everyday and walking around cameras, and my D800 will be for special occasions.

Neal Nurmi

---Wingman Photo---

spootdad

Portage, US
730 posts

#6. "RE: Nikon D700 Discontinued" | In response to Reply # 0

spootdad Registered since 27th Dec 2006
Sat 25-Aug-12 02:28 PM

I saw this news when it came out and immediately went to fetch mine from my home "office". I wanted to comfort it during its last usable days. Sadly, when I turned the switch to "on" - nothing! No response, no familiar comfortable information on the screen, no focus

I immediately realized what once had been nothing but snark had been changed to reality, probably in the last firmware update: Nikon had finally developed a way to terminate the usefulness of its cameras in order to force us to update to newer models. Silently I cursed the corporate overlords and their evil (but quite clever) plan. What would I do?

Then I remembered that I had removed the battery the night before for charging. Once I put the battery back in, all was good. Apparently the camera must have a power source in order to obtain the "disable" message from Nikon headquarters.

From the rocking of the cradle to the rolling of the hearse, the going up was worth the coming down

samrat54

Calhoun, US
246 posts

#7. "RE: Nikon D700 Discontinued" | In response to Reply # 6

samrat54 Silver Member Nikonian since 24th Mar 2003
Sat 25-Aug-12 08:32 PM

This was sad news for my D700 twins. The entire camera closet has been in mourning. The old FTn was visibly shaken, and the F5 was literally in tears remembering when it was deemed totally useless with the advent of digital. (I haven't told them that I have a hidden cache of F-I-L-M in the refrigerator. When film is outlawed, only outlaws will have film.)

The P7000 has been outdated and badmouthed so much, it just doesn't care any more.

I will try to revive the D700's with a shock from the EH-5a---CLEAR---

A candlelight vigil will be held this evening--at 6400ISO.

Sam

A Georgia Nikonian

jgould2

Fort Pierce, US
4628 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to send message via AOL IM

#8. "RE: Nikon D700 Discontinued" | In response to Reply # 7

jgould2 Gold Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Nikonian since 13th Oct 2007
Sat 25-Aug-12 11:21 PM

Thanks Lee and Sam.

Clever and funny stuff.

JIM

DinoCardelli

Plantation, US
236 posts

#9. "RE: Nikon D700 Discontinued" | In response to Reply # 8

DinoCardelli Registered since 19th Oct 2010
Sun 26-Aug-12 08:51 AM

>Thanks Lee and Sam.
>
>Clever and funny stuff.
>
>JIM

Ditto....good morning smile...

Like most things technical....they change...

Unfortunately I'm typing from a 2010 MACBook pro deemed useless by it's new Retina Brother.....

Or, my 25 year old fishing rods and reels that still caught fish....geeez..should of thrown them out as well......

I love technology and am Glad I made my decision to go with a now discontinued D700...my love of the hobby and what I can now do with a different system is amazing...it's like a mini computer......AND.......once the D600 gets the kinks out and I can see the value of the newer platform......My D700 might get a rest as the back up...just like my D7K that sits in the gadget box, I will take it out once a week and hug it, take a few shots, and tell her to stay in shape in case Big Brother has a hic-up and she needs to come off the bench

dc

Visit my professional gallery.

bjj

Ryde. Isle of Wight, UK
58 posts

#10. "RE: Nikon D700 Discontinued" | In response to Reply # 1

bjj Silver Member Nikonian since 18th Jan 2009
Sun 26-Aug-12 08:52 AM

Nikon UK still has the D700 and D3S as current............

Cheers Brian

If in doubt shoot it! There will never be a second chance.

HobokenJoe

Teaneck, US
39 posts

#11. "RE: Nikon D700 Discontinued" | In response to Reply # 9

HobokenJoe Registered since 20th Jun 2012
Sun 26-Aug-12 03:43 PM

My D700 is more tool then i will ever need. I also own the D7000 and a Canon D7 and Canon 5D Mark II all great tools for a Hobbiest. Along with good glass and the latest flash technology makes it a pleasure to shoot.

robsb

San Jose, US
14958 posts

#12. "RE: Nikon D700 Discontinued" | In response to Reply # 0

robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Donor Ribbon awarded for his enthusiastic and repeated support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2015 Nikonian since 23rd Aug 2006
Sun 26-Aug-12 05:58 PM

I don't care! My nearly 4 year old D700 still has lots of use ahead of it. When it stops functioning or it comes to a point where it can no longer make the amazing images that come from it now, I will consider a replacement. Having more pixels is no big deal to me, neither is video, but having a solidly built camera with high ISO performance and that uses CF cards is. Even as the price drops the capability of the camera will not change and I have already had 4 years of use out of a camera that only cost me $2400 new. I always say that money spent on glass vs bodies is always a better investment. The D700 was and is a unique camera and I have still not seen any body that is really a direct replacement.

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

"Nikonians membership - My most important photographic investment, after the
camera"

Retirement is a gift of time - Don't waste it!
Old age is a special gift that very few receive. Be thankful if you get it.

piniongear

Houston Texas, US
466 posts

#13. "RE: Nikon D700 Discontinued" | In response to Reply # 0

piniongear Registered since 29th Jul 2006
Sun 26-Aug-12 11:24 PM

OH NO! My camera is now obsolete? I may have to slash both wrists!

I only have a couple of thousand pics on it since I bought it new and now it is out of date?

I guess I better sell it quick while there is still some slight demand for it.

Then I could buy a D800 and be safe for a while having the top of the line.

Maybe $600 would be a fair price? (tongue planted firmly in my cheek here)

Not selling yet, just asking.

Cameras sure lose value quickly!

Seems like a new model only stays new for 2 to 3 years.
How disappointing.

musical

north-central, US
1050 posts

#14. "RE: Nikon D700 Discontinued" | In response to Reply # 13

musical Registered since 12th Feb 2010
Sun 26-Aug-12 11:49 PM | edited Sun 26-Aug-12 11:50 PM by musical

My d700 is sitting right here with it's back to the computer. It turned around sensing that something was bothering me. I said, "oh nothing, it's just nothing." It went back to charging and getting ready for tomorrow. I never even thought of the next wife after this one-- or camera or whatever. I think life is what you make it; darn it all I am just going to stick it out until she no longer turns on. "It's nothing dear, it's nothing..."

"Shadows are the soul of the picture."/>rick sammon

Floridian

Tallahassee, Florida, US
2948 posts

#15. "RE: Nikon D700 Discontinued" | In response to Reply # 0

Floridian Silver Member Nikonian since 11th Feb 2007
Sun 26-Aug-12 11:53 PM

I don't have a D700, but one thing I notice from reading the forums here is it is the most-loved DSLR Nikon has made. In other forums people are talking about problems with their cameras, issues with the photos they're taking, etc., but here the posts are uniformly positive, with people saying D700 photos have some magical properties that make them look better than other cameras, and nobody has anything bad to say about the camera. If it's discontinued, it is going out a winner.

Randy

musical

north-central, US
1050 posts

#16. "RE: Nikon D700 Discontinued" | In response to Reply # 14

musical Registered since 12th Feb 2010
Sun 26-Aug-12 11:59 PM | edited Mon 27-Aug-12 12:42 AM by musical

I shouldn't just joke. It's fun to be funny. A little more seriously I feel something, like some others, just something sentimental about the d700. Not really sure why. Sort of an odd feeling and not one that I can make sense of. It's by far the most expensive camera I have ever owned. I don't know if that's it? I love the d700 quite a bit.

"Shadows are the soul of the picture."/>rick sammon

Bearsmom2

Florence, US
75 posts

#17. "RE: Nikon D700 Discontinued" | In response to Reply # 0

Bearsmom2 Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Jul 2012
Mon 27-Aug-12 08:33 PM

I love my brand new D700. I plan to use it for many years. The manufacturers like to play these games to make us spend money but newer doesnt always equate to better.

I had two cars I bought brand new and got more than fourteen years out of each of them. Anything will work as long as you can get parts for it. The Jeep is still going strong and will take me anywhere I want to go the T-Bird not so much since I couldnt get parts and it wasnt good at all in snow, but it was a wonderful machine on the road.

I feel the same about my D700. Its rugged and will do anything I need and it will make my photography sheer pleasure.

Karen

Asgard

East Frisia, DE
60652 posts

#18. "RE: Nikon D700 Discontinued" | In response to Reply # 0

Asgard Administrator He is your Chief Guardian Angel at the Helpdesk and knows a lot about a lot Nikonian since 07th Apr 2004
Mon 27-Aug-12 09:24 PM

The D700 is still a good horse

He is a friend and I know him very well... We are a team... Don't change a winning team

Gerold - Nikonian in East Frisia
Eala Freya Fresena

robsb

San Jose, US
14958 posts

#19. "RE: Nikon D700 Discontinued" | In response to Reply # 17

robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Donor Ribbon awarded for his enthusiastic and repeated support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2015 Nikonian since 23rd Aug 2006
Mon 27-Aug-12 10:10 PM

I used my F3HP for 21 years before I finally went digital with a D200 later replaced by the D700. So a 4 year old D700 seems hardly broken in.

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

"Nikonians membership - My most important photographic investment, after the
camera"

Retirement is a gift of time - Don't waste it!
Old age is a special gift that very few receive. Be thankful if you get it.

Just Clickin

Pensacola, US
180 posts

#20. "RE: Nikon D700 Discontinued" | In response to Reply # 19

Just Clickin Gold Member Nikonian since 25th Jun 2009
Tue 28-Aug-12 12:34 AM

Not too sure the D700 has been discontinued. Still listed on Nikon USA site and temporarily out of stock at B&H.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Ntt=nikon+d700&N=0&InitialSearch=yes&sts=ta

Tom Wilby

Leonard62

Pa, US
4419 posts

#21. "RE: Nikon D700 Discontinued" | In response to Reply # 20

Leonard62 Gold Member Awarded for excellent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community, especially of Nikkor Lenses Writer Ribbon awarded for his contributions to the Nikonians Resources articles library Nikonian since 15th Mar 2009
Tue 28-Aug-12 11:18 AM

Tom,

Actually your link to B&H shows the D700 as discontinued. Maybe it was just changed this morning.

Len

Bearsmom2

Florence, US
75 posts

#22. "RE: Nikon D700 Discontinued" | In response to Reply # 0

Bearsmom2 Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Jul 2012
Tue 28-Aug-12 12:41 PM

My camera store still shows them new in stock on their website. If I had the extra money I'd go buy another and keep it safe until I needed it. I've only had mine a month but thats how I feel.

Karen

dclarhorn

Berwyn Heights, US
14900 posts

#23. "RE: Nikon D700 Discontinued" | In response to Reply # 0

dclarhorn Moderator In depth knowledge and high level skills in a variety of areas including landscape Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning a Nikonians Annual Photo Contest Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2015 Nikonian since 31st Mar 2002
Tue 28-Aug-12 03:27 PM

A moment of thanks and praise for the D700. Being discontinued was inevitable, but it sure took a long time to replace it by any measure of today's standards.

It's still my workhorse for jobs.

Dan L.
http://www.danlarussophotography.com/

Just Clickin

Pensacola, US
180 posts

#24. "RE: Nikon D700 Discontinued" | In response to Reply # 23

Just Clickin Gold Member Nikonian since 25th Jun 2009
Tue 28-Aug-12 07:15 PM

Nikon USA still has the D700 listed.

http://www.nikonusa.com/Nikon-Products/Digital-SLR-Cameras/index.page

Tom Wilby

dhrphoto

Laurel, US
159 posts

#25. "RE: Nikon D700 Discontinued" | In response to Reply # 4

dhrphoto Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Sep 2007
Wed 29-Aug-12 10:04 PM | edited Wed 29-Aug-12 10:05 PM by dhrphoto

>And, Nikon Rumors, which has been amazingly accurate in its
>previous reports of upcoming products, is now reporting the
>imminent announcement of the D600, its appearance and specs.
>http://nikonrumors.com/2012/08/23/nikon-d600-is-coming-soon-no-news-on-the-d300s-and-d7000-replacements.aspx/
>
>I wouldn't be too happy that you just bought a D700 since you
>will very soon be able to buy the D600 that will have FX
>24mgpxls and is likely to be 1k less expensive.

Hello,
I got mine June 1st and not sorry I did, infact I'm elated!
When the D600 is anounced I think we will see that it doesn't have
the same tough build as the D700.

May Your Day Be Happy And
Full Of Beautiful Images
D.H.R.

klrbee25

Naples, US
1386 posts

#26. "RE: Nikon D700 Discontinued" | In response to Reply # 0

klrbee25 Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Jun 2006
Wed 29-Aug-12 11:56 PM

Of course the D700 is still a great camera that takes great photos. I just would never pay for a new one (at new prices) when it's over 5 years old and you'd be buying 5yr old technology. Find a nice used one at a good price and you're golden.

-Alex Rosen
www.flickr.com/photos/klrbee25/

pechacek

Hanover, Maryland, US
19 posts

#27. "RE: Nikon D700 Discontinued" | In response to Reply # 0

pechacek Registered since 11th Jan 2011
Thu 30-Aug-12 01:30 PM

Here is my take. I have had three "good" cameras, FN,90s and now the D700. Need some more lenses more than another camera. Next up the 70-200mm VRII.

JerryLoSardo

Frederick, US
1097 posts

#28. "RE: Nikon D700 Discontinued" | In response to Reply # 4

JerryLoSardo Gold Member Charter Member
Thu 30-Aug-12 10:01 PM

If you go to the B&H website and type in the search box a non-existent Nikon model number (for example, "Nikon D900"), it will come back with "We did not find matching results for Nikon D900". But if you type in D600, it says "Nikon has not announced a D600 model". The imminent announcement of the D600 is quickly becoming Nikon's worst-kept secret.

Jerry LoSardo
Frederick, Maryland

Blondul

Bucharest, RO
74 posts

#29. "RE: Nikon D700 Discontinued" | In response to Reply # 0

Blondul Registered since 27th Dec 2011
Wed 05-Sep-12 12:50 PM

Oldies, but Goldies ...

Great camera, even if is discontinued!

Greetings to all D700 owners!
Stelian

eladams629

Bronx, US
9 posts

#30. "RE: Nikon D700 Discontinued" | In response to Reply # 7

eladams629 Registered since 11th Jan 2012
Wed 19-Sep-12 05:32 PM

Very funny indeed. I needed that laugh, because I'm becoming frustrated with the latest offerings.

I'm lamenting the fact that, due to family matters, I reluctantly sold my D700. NOW, I wanted to purchase another D700, and I cannot find one in NYC to save my life.

The D600 is interesting, but not exactly bowling me over. I would get a D800, but I'm still a little unsure about that one, due to the fact that it doesn't give me enough FPS (I believe they only go to 4 FPS). What's a NIKONIAN to do? I need and want to get a new camera, but the D600 only seems to be for "hobbyists" (correct me if I'm wrong). Decisions, decisions. I wish they had gone to at least 6 FPS, then I'd be more interested. Perhaps I shall have to wait a little longer and get the D4. It does seem as though they are phasing out the DX series, though, doesn't it?

E. L. Adams

bearprint

Cranbury, US
9 posts

#31. "RE: Nikon D700 Discontinued" | In response to Reply # 30

bearprint Gold Member Nikonian since 29th Dec 2009
Fri 21-Sep-12 06:15 AM

ELADAMS I'll sell you a D700 at eBay related price. David Nissen dnissen@comcast.net

David Nissen
david@bearprint.org
BearPrint.org

Britbear

Suburban Chicago, US
575 posts

#32. "RE: Nikon D700 Discontinued" | In response to Reply # 17

Britbear Silver Member Nikonian since 27th Mar 2002
Sun 21-Oct-12 03:37 PM

I agree, Karen. I bought my new D700 just a couple months ago and look forward to many years of joyfully making images while mastering this amazing tool.

Barbara
Facebook.com/Barbara.Colbert2
My Gallery

Lindy

Northern California, US
1540 posts

#33. "RE: Nikon D700 Discontinued" | In response to Reply # 0

Lindy Silver Member Nikonian since 17th Jan 2008
Tue 30-Oct-12 01:46 AM

Waa! Waa! All these whiners! I'm sure happy to have my main camera, my D700, which has served me well and brought me some winning photographs!
(And it makes the D3 stay in the closet except for special occasions.)

Not me. Not here. NO N.A.S. Not now. Don't bring me another weak a** version of a really good camera. I already spent my money.

~Lindy
a Nikonian in Northern California

"Art is a lie that makes us realize the truth." ~Pablo Picasso

My Gallery

G