Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Help please, what did I do?

Bearsmom2

Florence, US
75 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
Bearsmom2 Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Jul 2012
Fri 03-Aug-12 09:57 PM

Okay so I'm going through the Mastering the D700 for the second time. This time with the original manual and the camera in my lap. I'm trying to find setting that will make the photos come out the way I want them to and still guess at what some of the options mean.

So I get it all set up, so I think, and fire off a couple shots of my dogs laying on the couch. First two shots and I get a double exposure. One dog overlayed on the other. Interesting but not what I wanted in this case. Did I miss something is this even possble? Or is my camera malfunctioning. The second set of shots came out right. Two dogs two shots. Wierd.

Second question: is the manual mode the only one where you can choose to have the shutter speed on auto? I tried on 'A' but it would only allow me to have ISO on auto.

And third question: for some reason when I try to set my self cleaning for when I turn it off it wont take the setting. It says its set for "on and off" but the main menu shows there is no selection made.

Does any of this have anything to do with using the camera in manual mode?

Karen

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Leonard62

Pa, US
4419 posts

#1. "RE: Help please, what did I do?" | In response to Reply # 0

Leonard62 Gold Member Awarded for excellent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community, especially of Nikkor Lenses Writer Ribbon awarded for his contributions to the Nikonians Resources articles library Nikonian since 15th Mar 2009
Fri 03-Aug-12 10:12 PM | edited Fri 03-Aug-12 10:17 PM by Leonard62

Hi Karen,

In the Shooting menu set Multiple Exposure to OFF.

There is no auto shutter speed per se. When in A mode the shutter will automatically get set to give the proper exposure based on where the ISO and aperture are set. In P mode the shutter speed, aperture and ISO will change to insure proper exposure and a fast enough shutter speed.

What do you mean by main menu? The Setup menu will show Clean Image Sensor --
Choose that menu option and right click the multi sensor wheel. This will give you two choices, Clean Now or Clean at Startup/Shutdown. Choose Clean at Startup/Shutdown again and then make your choice.
No matter what you choose the Setup Menu will still show Clean Image Sensor -- . What ever you chose will still be performed.

Manual mode has nothing to do with this. The only thing Manual Mode does is allow you to set and fix the shutter speed and lens aperture.

Len

Bearsmom2

Florence, US
75 posts

#2. "RE: Help please, what did I do?" | In response to Reply # 1

Fri 03-Aug-12 11:10 PM

Thank you Len

I will check these things. I guess in some cases its just knowing how the menu displays. I'm still getting used to the system and I guess I panicked. I thought I might have broken something.

thanks again

Karen

Leonard62

Pa, US
4419 posts

#3. "RE: Help please, what did I do?" | In response to Reply # 2

Leonard62 Gold Member Awarded for excellent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community, especially of Nikkor Lenses Writer Ribbon awarded for his contributions to the Nikonians Resources articles library Nikonian since 15th Mar 2009
Fri 03-Aug-12 11:33 PM

No problem, Karen. Ask any question when you have a doubt or something isn't working right. Lots of members here have a D700 and can answer your question and are glad to help.

Len

SheriB

Southern York Co, US
1973 posts

#4. "RE: Help please, what did I do?" | In response to Reply # 1

SheriB Gold Member Awarded for sharing her exceptional images and details of rural farm life. Nikonian since 11th Sep 2010
Sat 04-Aug-12 09:39 AM

and a really simple thing to overlook when choosing your sensor cleaning ( or other options)..press the OK button when you make a choice..you may scroll over and have highlighted the clean at startup , clean at shutdown or clean at startup/shut down ..but unless you either scroll right one more time or press the ok button on the back of the camera it will not set it.

Sheri Becker

SheriB

Southern York Co, US
1973 posts

#5. "RE: Help please, what did I do?" | In response to Reply # 0

SheriB Gold Member Awarded for sharing her exceptional images and details of rural farm life. Nikonian since 11th Sep 2010
Sat 04-Aug-12 09:52 AM

M you control everything-ISO, aperture and shutter speed. You have to center the meter ( usually ) to get a good exposure. This is where you have the most control of how you image will look.Depth of field, a little under or overexposed, blur or freezing of motion, lower noise with lower ISO.

A - you choose the aperture,( and ISO unless you have the camera set to adjust it) and camera chooses the shutter speed. Use when your main focus is on controlling your depth of field.
As you change your aperture, the camera will adjust the shutter speed to make an accurate exposure.So I would think this is what you mean by shutter speed on auto??

S -you choose shutter speed,(and ISO unless you have the camera set to adjust it) and the camera chooses aperture. Use when you know you need a certain shutter speed, usually to stop action or help control camera shake( handholding)As you change your speed, your camera will adjust the other settings to make an accurate exposure.

Sheri Becker

Bearsmom2

Florence, US
75 posts

#6. "RE: Help please, what did I do?" | In response to Reply # 5

Sat 04-Aug-12 10:59 AM

Thank you Sherri. I thought that was the way it was supposed to work.

The manual is less than helpful with options for manual mode scattered all over the place. The Mastering D700 is a Nook copy and I cant just check the index or table of contents and page around or at least I havent figured that out either.

One thing I havent seen in either book is how to move the little focus point thingy in the viewfinder. Mine has moved over to the right and I cant figure out how to get it back.

Thanks for all the help

Karen

SheriB

Southern York Co, US
1973 posts

#7. "RE: Help please, what did I do?" | In response to Reply # 6

Sat 04-Aug-12 01:29 PM

First make sure the focus selector ( manual p.7, #8 isn't locked on the L. If it is not locked ( should be to the 'dot'), you move it with the multi selector. You may have to give the shutter a half press to make it active.To center you can just hit the center button ( #7)but you can also move it around using the directional arrows on the multi selector. How far it moves at each click will depend on how many focus points you have selected (custom setting menu ( pencil icon)-> a Autofocus->a8 AF point selection-> pick your number press ok. I choose 51 .I just prefer it so I can fine tune my composition when using spot metering and/or autofocus.The focus and recompose always seems to take my focus off a little.. I also choose wrap around in case I get trigger finger ( thumb) and my focus point goes to far..

Sheri Becker

Bearsmom2

Florence, US
75 posts

#8. "RE: Help please, what did I do?" | In response to Reply # 7

Sun 05-Aug-12 01:49 PM

Sheri

Thank you so much for your kind help. Its so easy once you get over being boggled by it all. One step at a time.

I dont think trying to learn to use a nook AND a high end digital camera at the same time has helped. I'm giving the nook back to my daughter. I need real books. LOL

Thanks again. Im printing all the helpful hints from everyone so I can refer back to them.

Karen

G