Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Bent CF pin in camera

jmiguez

Lafayette, US
534 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
jmiguez Silver Member Nikonian since 17th Oct 2010
Mon 30-Jul-12 12:31 AM

I purchased a D700 from eBay. When it arrived, I put in a brand new Sandisk 32 GB Extreme CF card and got a CHA error. Thinking the card may have been too big for the D700, I went out and bought a Lexar 4 GB card and promptly got the same CHA error.

Using a light and wearable magnifying glasses, I believe I see one of the gold pins bent on its side. I have contacted the seller and he agreed to refund me my money or get it repaired. Since, I once experienced selling an expensive item on eBay, only to have the buyer return it as broken, under suspicious circumstances, I have agreed to keep it, provided he has it repaired.

However, I am concerned about a pin getting bent. How common is this? Can this happen simply by inserting the card? It looks like the card only goes in one way. It has little guide rails on one side. So, how can a pin get bent?

Is it something I should worry about happening again?

John

My Pictures may be seen here: http://jmiguez.smugmug.com/

gkaiseril

Chicago, US
6739 posts

#1. "RE: Bent CF pin in camera" | In response to Reply # 0

gkaiseril Gold Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005
Sun 29-Jul-12 10:36 PM

It depends upon how drunk you are when changing the CF card.

It does not happen often. Some things to remember, insert slowly and stop if you notice any resistance. Insert as directed and make sure the holes are going into the camera.

George
My Nikonian Galleries

briantilley

Paignton, UK
30235 posts

#2. "RE: Bent CF pin in camera" | In response to Reply # 0

briantilley Gold Member Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Donor Ribbon awarded for his support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003
Mon 30-Jul-12 07:06 AM

Because of the different-width grooves on the edges of a CF card, it is virtually impossible to insert the card the wrong way around.

Inserting a damaged card that has one of its holes obstructed can certainly bend a camera pin. Perhaps this is what the previous owner had done?

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

jmiguez

Lafayette, US
534 posts

#3. "RE: Bent CF pin in camera" | In response to Reply # 2

jmiguez Silver Member Nikonian since 17th Oct 2010
Mon 30-Jul-12 08:48 AM

Thank you George and Brian for your answers. All I know is that I put the card in, the green LED flashed and the locking pin popped up. However, when I tried to take a picture the camera would not fire. That is when I noticed the CHA on the top LED. I had to look it up online. I could not find a reference to CHA in the NIKON manual.

John

My Pictures may be seen here: http://jmiguez.smugmug.com/

briantilley

Paignton, UK
30235 posts

#4. "RE: Bent CF pin in camera" | In response to Reply # 3

briantilley Gold Member Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Donor Ribbon awarded for his support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003
Mon 30-Jul-12 09:42 AM

>I could not find a reference to CHA in the NIKON manual.

It's on page 413 in the D700 manual, in the Error Messages section.

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

RWCooper

Winnipeg, CA
1019 posts

#5. "RE: Bent CF pin in camera" | In response to Reply # 0

RWCooper Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Jul 2004
Wed 01-Aug-12 02:31 PM

Bent pins are rare. I've been using DSLRs since the D70 came out and always wondered how people manage to bend pins. I always use name brand CF cards like SanDisk.

Enjoy!

Randy

ericbowles

Atlanta, US
10532 posts

#6. "RE: Bent CF pin in camera" | In response to Reply # 0

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community Donor Ribbon awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2015 Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005
Thu 02-Aug-12 07:56 PM

I've had a bent pin on my first DSLR - a D70. My wife inserted a CF card backwards. There is enough resistance that you will be careful and it won't happen again. It's unlikely you bent it - but all it takes is a little mistake and some pressure by anyone handling the camera. Once a pin is bent even a little bit, there is no good way to fix it yourself.

The good news is the repair is pretty easy. Nikon or Nikon Authorized Service can handle it. You can call the nearest Nikon Authorized Service and get an estimate. It's probably around $300 or so for the repair - not cheap but not terrible either.

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Workshops

Nikonians membership — my most important photographic investment, after the camera

G