Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

The problem with my D700...

avm247

Rancho Cordova, US
18758 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
avm247 Moderator Awarded for high skills in documentary architecture and aviation photography Donor Ribbon. Awarded for his support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Charter Member
Mon 23-Jul-12 08:33 PM

...is that it's kicking my NAS into HIGH GEAR.

I'm still happy with my lenses (28-105, 70-300D ED, 24, 50, 105 micro and 28 PC) but am seriously looking at upgrading the zooms.

Then there's the flash, (currently using an old SB-28 in Auto flash).

And I want to tether my camera and do stuff like Hal (HBB)!

Sure wish the economy would pick up and I can recover from the previous furloughs, not to mention the current furlough.

Anthony

The Moderator Page and My Gallery
The important things in life are simple; the simple things are hard.

Bearsmom2

Florence, US
75 posts

#1. "RE: The problem with my D700..." | In response to Reply # 0

Bearsmom2 Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Jul 2012
Tue 24-Jul-12 03:24 PM

Yeah, Im with you there Anthony. I promised myself I wouldnt buy any new automatic lenses until I had completely mastered the D700 with my manual lenses. I dont want to fall back into relying on automatic controls and letting them take over my photography.

However its getting ever harder to resist the new 24-120. And if my old macro lens cant be repaired I might need one of those too.

Good thing I still have that vet bill to finish paying.

Happy shopping

Karen

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

avm247

Rancho Cordova, US
18758 posts

#2. "RE: The problem with my D700..." | In response to Reply # 1

avm247 Moderator Awarded for high skills in documentary architecture and aviation photography Donor Ribbon. Awarded for his support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Charter Member
Tue 24-Jul-12 06:05 PM

I use my 28PC rarely but am glad to have it when I need it. I'm ecstatic that the D700 can stop down meter with that lens, currently it's my only MF lens on the D700 but I really want to see what I can do with a 105mm AI-S f/2.5...always loved the bokeh created with that lens.

Anthony

Drbee

Naperville, US
5927 posts

#3. "RE: The problem with my D700..." | In response to Reply # 0

Drbee Silver Member Nikonian since 05th Aug 2004
Tue 24-Jul-12 08:18 PM

Hi Anthony,

I hope the economy picks up also. It's hard to buy into the "world view" when all the news feels like bad news. Do enjoy that D700! It is an amazing camera. When I got my D700 I realized that it was a DSLR that could do everything I needed in a camera and then it was time to give serious thought on whether the lenses were fitting into the roles where I had them slotted. The D700 accepts many of the older lenses very gracefully so if you bargain pick, you can redesign a kit for considerably less than these new AFS prices.

Roger
It's still, ISO, aperture and shutter-speed, right?

hillsidekim

Hillside, US
549 posts

#4. "RE: The problem with my D700..." | In response to Reply # 0

hillsidekim Silver Member Nikonian since 31st Jan 2008
Tue 24-Jul-12 10:18 PM | edited Tue 24-Jul-12 10:31 PM by hillsidekim

Hi Anthony,
I just picked up my almost new (1780 clicks) D700 a week ago yesterday. I'm thinking of buying one of the 28-105 f/3.5-4.5 as I can't afford the newer alternatives. I have an older 24-120 af-d, but I think the 28-105 will probably be sharper. How do you like yours with the D700? Everything I've read about it point to its being a great lens, especially for the prices they are going for. After that and a little more saving I was thinking of an older MF 20mm for the wider end
Thanks,
Kim
Western burbs of Chicago

avm247

Rancho Cordova, US
18758 posts

#5. "RE: The problem with my D700..." | In response to Reply # 4

Wed 25-Jul-12 06:16 AM

Kim, I like the 28-105 with my D700. Still very sharp with great contrast. I used it as my walk around lens on vacation and in that respect it was great. AF performance is pretty good for a non-AFS lens.

What I'd like to have is something a bit faster and quieter.

A question I have asked in the past when persons have asked about what to upgrade is this: What does your current equipment NOT do for you or NOT as well as you would like?

(Well, my answer, is that my flash isn't I-TTL and that's one thing I want to fix. I really need to take my own advice!)

Hearing all the grumbling in the D800 Forum, I'm especially glad I got a D700 when I did, and I don't have buyers remorse!

Anthony

avm247

Rancho Cordova, US
18758 posts

#6. "RE: The problem with my D700..." | In response to Reply # 3

Wed 25-Jul-12 06:28 AM

it was time to give serious thought on whether the lenses were fitting into the roles where I had them slotted.

Roger, that's pretty much where I am now. While I was happy with the 70-300 D ED for the few times I needed/wanted a telephoto with film, I'm finding that what I was willing to accept then, I'm finding harder to accept now (slow AF, CA, softness at 300...) I'd like the new 70-300 VR but I don't like the 67mm filter size. Currently I use 62mm as my standard size so I'd have to rebuild the filters (at least a CPL in 67mm).

Ah, yes, I can see the slippery slope.

Anthony

hillsidekim

Hillside, US
549 posts

#7. "RE: The problem with my D700..." | In response to Reply # 0

hillsidekim Silver Member Nikonian since 31st Jan 2008
Thu 26-Jul-12 02:50 PM | edited Thu 26-Jul-12 04:36 PM by hillsidekim

Thanks for the reply Anthony. Actually, I think I have already decided to pick up the 28-105 when I find the right one for the right price. The focal range duplicates the excellent 17-55 DX lens. (OOPS, sorry, it actually duplicates the 18-70 I had when I had my D70)
Kim
Western burbs of Chicago

GiantTristan

Stamford, US
2670 posts

#8. "RE: The problem with my D700..." | In response to Reply # 0

GiantTristan Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Jan 2006
Thu 26-Jul-12 04:13 PM

Manual focus lenses work very well with the D700. About the only AF zoom lens I use regularly is the Nikon 14-24/2.8 which is the main reason I switched to the FX format. Since your main interest is architecture, you might definitely want to look at this lens.

Tristan

avm247

Rancho Cordova, US
18758 posts

#9. "RE: The problem with my D700..." | In response to Reply # 8

Thu 26-Jul-12 06:37 PM

I've been wanting (lusting) that 14-24...great range and an even greater price tag. Hard to justify that lens as this is one of several hobbies (though the most expensive by far when one takes the cost of everything).

Anthony

MarcoF80

Torino, IT
150 posts

#11. "RE: The problem with my D700..." | In response to Reply # 0

MarcoF80 Gold Member Nikonian since 14th Mar 2004
Tue 31-Jul-12 07:07 AM

Actually my gear is "only" D700 with the old 28-105 and the new 50 1.8 G.
It's very essential, but so complete for my kind of photography.

My only thought for an updating in this period is the new 24-85 VR, but it probably will come in my gear when the economy will be up for me too...

Marco
Nikonian in Torino - Italy

http://www.marcobaracco.com

avm247

Rancho Cordova, US
18758 posts

#12. "RE: The problem with my D700..." | In response to Reply # 11

Tue 31-Jul-12 02:09 PM

I find the 28-105 still fits my needs, I just wish they had an AF-S VRII version of that lens. What I would like is an update of the 80-400 in AF-S and VRII.

But keeping it simple is a good thing.

Anthony

dclarhorn

Berwyn Heights, US
14847 posts

#13. "RE: The problem with my D700..." | In response to Reply # 12

dclarhorn Moderator In depth knowledge and high level skills in a variety of areas including landscape Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning a Nikonians Annual Photo Contest Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2015 Nikonian since 31st Mar 2002
Tue 31-Jul-12 02:54 PM

Anthony, I still have and use my 28-105 on my D700. I have the 24-120 f4 VR as well, but the 28-105 still amazes me with its well-controlled distortion. If they offered a VR version of the 28-105, I'd seriously consider it. I'm also with you on the 80-400. I'm shocked that lens has never been updated.

Dan L.
http://www.danlarussophotography.com/

avm247

Rancho Cordova, US
18758 posts

#14. "RE: The problem with my D700..." | In response to Reply # 13

Tue 31-Jul-12 03:19 PM

Dan, I agree, too: I love the distortion control on the 28-105; the earlier versions of the 24-120 variable aperture (not the current f/4 VR version) seemed to have pretty bad distortion at the extremes. I hear good (if not great) things about the 24-120 but am not really sold the distortion control. Yes I know one can sort of correct for it in post processing, but I'd rather have a lens better corrected.

(I'm using my camera as if I'm shooting slide; get it right or as close to right as possible in camera and minimize my post-processing since my skills aren't that great.)

Anthony

aerobat

B├╝ren, CH
329 posts

#15. "RE: The problem with my D700..." | In response to Reply # 14

aerobat Registered since 05th May 2006
Tue 31-Jul-12 07:31 PM | edited Tue 31-Jul-12 07:34 PM by aerobat

I was able to buy a mint 10'000 clicks D700 from a friend last week. I've got a D800 with AF problems since 3 months now. It's been repaired without success and I'm still waiting for a solution.
I love the D700 and I'm glad to be able to use my new FX lenses which I bought to build my FX kit: 28mm f/1.8; 50mm f/1.4: Micro 60mm f/2.8; 85mm f/1.4.
I'll probably go for the 24-120mm f/4.0 VR as multipurpose zoom.

Regards,

Daniel Diggelmann
A Swiss Nikonian

avm247

Rancho Cordova, US
18758 posts

#16. "RE: The problem with my D700..." | In response to Reply # 15

Tue 31-Jul-12 07:42 PM

Daniel, sorry to hear the D800 is still waiting a solution. I am really impressed with the D700's performance (especially with low light). I do wish it had more pixels on subject ... solution: a camera with a denser sensor or bigger glass, neither helps my NAS problem.

Anthony

MarcoF80

Torino, IT
150 posts

#17. "RE: The problem with my D700..." | In response to Reply # 16

MarcoF80 Gold Member Nikonian since 14th Mar 2004
Wed 01-Aug-12 05:47 AM

I perfectly agree on all. Low distortion on lens is quality, to have to correct it in post processing is a lack of time.

Nevertheless, in my actual workflow, I use DxO and it is the perfect tool to proceed today in digital like yesterday with slides

Marco
Nikonian in Torino - Italy

http://www.marcobaracco.com

Devonish

Newton Abbot, UK
122 posts

#18. "RE: The problem with my D700..." | In response to Reply # 16

Devonish Registered since 13th Nov 2011
Fri 17-Aug-12 09:59 AM

Me thinks it because it has less pixels, which are bigger pixels..... that it works so well in low light?

Wedding Photographer in Devon: http://www.whitepetal.co.uk

Dirty6

US
6 posts

#19. "RE: The problem with my D700..." | In response to Reply # 1

Dirty6 Registered since 27th Aug 2012
Sat 01-Sep-12 10:02 AM

If you purchased the 24-120 I would love to get your feed back on it. I tried 1 on a D-800 at Unique Photo and found it to be amazingly sharp, Thinking about getting one for my D-700 and D-4.

phlash46

Peekskill, US
2210 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to send message via AOL IM

#20. "RE: The problem with my D700..." | In response to Reply # 18

phlash46 Silver Member Nikonian since 01st Feb 2008
Sat 01-Sep-12 07:10 PM

Precisely...which is why I'm not sold on the D800...might, if it measures up, look at the D600 as a backup to the D700.

New York Nikoner
My Nikonians Gallery

"Insanity is repeating the same process expecting a different result" Albert Einstein

NAS can go into remission, but, it is incurable.

avm247

Rancho Cordova, US
18758 posts

#21. "RE: The problem with my D700..." | In response to Reply # 19

Sun 02-Sep-12 01:02 AM

I'd love to purchase one. It won't be happening anytime soon, the money just isn't there just yet. My next NAS purchase will be an SB9XX.

Anthony

G