Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

USA or gray market

DMKerr

Concord, US
350 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
DMKerr Silver Member Nikonian since 21st Feb 2010
Fri 06-Jul-12 01:06 PM

Im going to look at a used D700 with a friend. How can we tell if its a USA or gray market? Besides click count is there anything we should look for?

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

buckreynolds

US
32 posts

#1. "RE: USA or gray market" | In response to Reply # 0

buckreynolds Registered since 11th Jan 2009
Fri 06-Jul-12 09:17 PM

Hi:

Nikon told me to look for an English language manual, or, of course, a receipt. The only thing on the camera that might help you is the serial number, but Nikon declined to look up a serial number when I called.

Best of luck.

Best wishes to all Nikonians

KazeyBunch

Fort Worth, US
40 posts

#2. "RE: USA or gray market" | In response to Reply # 1

KazeyBunch Registered since 03rd Jan 2012
Sat 07-Jul-12 03:39 AM

If memory serves, the country code is on the outside of my D700 boxes - US or USA. And +1 on the English manual. There should also be a USA warranty registration card in the packaging. Read the fine print!

www.kazeybunch.com

“You can miss a lot of moments with your head stuck in your LCD.” - Joe McNally

DMKerr

Concord, US
350 posts

#3. "RE: USA or gray market" | In response to Reply # 2

DMKerr Silver Member Nikonian since 21st Feb 2010
Sat 07-Jul-12 07:11 AM

thank you for the replies. I called Nikon USA and with you the serial number the first agent could not help other than to say US serial numbers generally start with 2 or 3. I called a second time with the number and go the run around and was told I'd have to send the camera in to get a positive answer. after expressing my dissatisfaction with the customer service and being on hold the rep attempted to register the number and told me that in fact it was a USA body otherwise the system would have not allowed an attempt to register it. So the folks at Nikon USA can tell you if they choose to you just have to find the right agent.

SRFast

New York City, US
1522 posts

#4. "RE: USA or gray market" | In response to Reply # 3

SRFast Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Dec 2004
Sat 07-Jul-12 07:07 PM

Doug,
I don't want to be the bearer of bad news, but being able to register a Nikon product on the Nikon USA website DOES NOT guarantee it is a Nikon USA authorized product. I purchased a used Nikon D3 in 2009 from a private seller and he never stated it was grey market. Being proactive, I registered the D3 while it was in transit to me thinking everything was fine. Unfortunately when the camera arrived, it had neither the "(U)" indicator on the box or the "Nikon USA" sticker in the battery chamber. I contacted the seller about this and he admitted he purchased the D3 out of country. I returned the D3 and got a full refund. The box had a "(J)" indicator on the box.

From my experience, Nikon USA camera bodies have either the (U) stamp on the box next to the serial number, a "Nikon USA" sticker in the battery chamber or both.

Hope this helps...JL

JBS101

Canberra, AU
598 posts

#5. "RE: USA or gray market" | In response to Reply # 3

JBS101 Silver Member Nikonian since 20th Apr 2009
Tue 10-Jul-12 08:47 PM

"the first agent could not help other than to say US serial numbers generally start with 2 or 3"

I am not sure I would rely too much on that advice. My D700 was purchased from a Nikon Australia dealer and its serial number starts with 2.

TUKWILAGORILLA2

Tukwila (Seattle), US
153 posts

#6. "RE: USA or gray market" | In response to Reply # 1

TUKWILAGORILLA2 Silver Member Nikonian since 07th Feb 2007
Tue 31-Jul-12 10:26 PM | edited Tue 31-Jul-12 10:27 PM by TUKWILAGORILLA2

Considering the service some (many?) Of us have had from Nikon I wonder if it really matters (and yes I speak from a bad experience with them).

Pam

G