Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

AF-ON and exposure D700

wooster

UK
120 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
wooster Registered since 02nd Nov 2011
Mon 16-Apr-12 12:37 PM

Hi. I'm sure this is a pretty basic question and is probably quite clear from reading the manual but for some reason, I can't find it there. I have set the camera so that I use the AF button to focus.

IIRC in Canon cameras ( which I used to use, but not with this technique ) this locks the exposure at the point of pressing the button. Does this lock exposure with Nikon gear? I'm assuming not and that exposure is set at the point of pressing the shutter. Is this correct?

Thanks for your help

wooster

nwcs

Knoxville, US
7030 posts

#1. "RE: AF-ON and exposure D700" | In response to Reply # 0

nwcs Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Landscape and Wildlife Photography Registered since 15th Jan 2006
Mon 16-Apr-12 11:09 AM

No, you use the AE-L button for that (the exposure lock). In some Nikons the AF-ON does double duty but not with the D700.

So your assumption is right, if you use AF-ON the camera meters normally without locking.

wooster

UK
120 posts

#2. "RE: AF-ON and exposure D700" | In response to Reply # 1

Mon 16-Apr-12 11:11 AM

Ah thanks for the help. Much appreciated

wooster

rbsandor

Denver, US
1751 posts

#3. "RE: AF-ON and exposure D700" | In response to Reply # 0

rbsandor Silver Member Nikonian since 29th Aug 2007
Mon 16-Apr-12 01:16 PM

Wooster: take a look at this video from Jason Odell. You'll see that exposure is also affected by what your focus point is aimed at. http://www.luminescentphoto.com/blog/2012/03/29/nikon-3d-matrix-metering-and-focus-points/

wooster

UK
120 posts

#4. "RE: AF-ON and exposure D700" | In response to Reply # 3

Mon 16-Apr-12 01:20 PM | edited Mon 16-Apr-12 01:31 PM by wooster

Thanks for the link rbsandor. Good video. He doesn't look as I imagined from the "Image Doctors" I get the bit about the exposure and focus point but I seemed to recall that in Canon cameras, the AF-ON button set for achieving focus, also locked exposure. It seems this isn't the case with Nikon which is what I had assumed as the manual didn't mention otherwise ( If you know what I mean )

Thanks again for the help

I hadn't actually thought of changing the focus point in the way he did to alter the exposure mind you so a great tip for me

Wooster

jupiter913

San Antonio, US
84 posts

#5. "RE: AF-ON and exposure D700" | In response to Reply # 0

jupiter913 Silver Member Nikonian since 21st Mar 2004
Mon 16-Apr-12 02:24 PM

William,
Check page 287 of the User's Manual. This is under Custom Settings a Autofocus, sub-menu a5 AF Activation.
What you can do is set the camera to focus only using the AF-On button. In this case, pressing and releasing the AF-On button will lock focus and then pressing the shutter button will not refocus. Of course, if you continue to hold the AF-On button down, then the camera will refocus at whatever it is pointed at. If you choose to allow AF Activation by both the shutter button and the AF-On button, then the pressing the shutter will refocus after you have released the AF-On button.
Using the AF-On button as the only AF-Activation option gives the D700 what is called "Back button" focusing. It allows you to get a focus and then recompose the photo without disturbing the focus. Useful in landscape, etc. cases where the scene is static. Very hard to use, for me, trying to photograph a flitting butterfly or other erratically moving subject.

Ron

wooster

UK
120 posts

#6. "RE: AF-ON and exposure D700" | In response to Reply # 5

Mon 16-Apr-12 03:17 PM

Thanks Ron. Personally, I quite like this feature. I don't photograph fast - moving subjects so that's probably why. It's a pretty new concept to me. I know that my previous cameras could do it but I never really thought about it until I came to this forum.

The more I go into the D700 the more I absolutely love this camera

wooster

ericbowles

Atlanta, US
10524 posts

#7. "RE: AF-ON and exposure D700" | In response to Reply # 5

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community Donor Ribbon awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2015 Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005
Mon 16-Apr-12 05:17 PM

The back button focus approach is also very helpful with birds in flight. Using AF-C, keep the AF-On button depressed and the focus will continue to track the subject as it moves across the frame. With static wildlife images, I often focus on a part of the subject in the same plane as the subject's eyes and then wait for critical action or a catchlight to fire the shutter.

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Workshops

Nikonians membership — my most important photographic investment, after the camera

jupiter913

San Antonio, US
84 posts

#8. "RE: AF-ON and exposure D700" | In response to Reply # 6

Mon 16-Apr-12 06:28 PM

Wooster,
Yes, the D700 is a keeper. I will have mine for a long time.

Ron

jupiter913

San Antonio, US
84 posts

#9. "RE: AF-ON and exposure D700" | In response to Reply # 7

Mon 16-Apr-12 10:16 PM

Eric,
Thanks for the tip. I have not tried it with BIF shots, but until recently I did not have a decent BIF lens. I have now purchased the Sigma 150-500 and am eager to try it for birds. I will try the BB focusing as well.

Ron

wooster

UK
120 posts

#10. "RE: AF-ON and exposure D700" | In response to Reply # 9

Tue 17-Apr-12 07:34 AM

Hi and thanks for all the advice. Re the D700 I have ordered the D800 but don't intend to get rid of my D700 in the near future. I intend to use it along with the D800

Wooster

G