Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
wooster

UK
120 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
wooster Registered since 02nd Nov 2011
Sat 05-Nov-11 10:47 PM

I ordered my D700 today and I'm in a state of extreme anticipation. I got the 24-70 f2.8 and the SB900 to go with it.

I'm new to Nikon, having switched from Canon ( had 5d2s and a few lenses so had to bite the bullet a bit ) and since having a play with a D700 a few months ago, I have been waiting for the right moment to switch. The plan was to wait for the D700 replacement which seems just around the corner but it will likely cost an awful lot for the next few months and I thought I'd use the quiet time of year to get used to it.

I was also a bit worried about the reduction in resolution too TBH but having peeped at a few pixels in images downloaded from the internet, I'm pretty sure I will be happy with the results.

I'm sure I will have lots of questions to ask of you good folks as I get to grips with this beastie, so glad I found this site

Wooster

MEMcD

US
31293 posts

#1. "RE: Eventually.." | In response to Reply # 0

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007
Sun 06-Nov-11 12:02 AM

Hi William,

Congratulations on your new D700, 24-70mm and SB-900.
I am sure that you will be very happy with your choice.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

KenLPhotos

Stewartstown, US
1908 posts

#2. "RE: Eventually.." | In response to Reply # 0

KenLPhotos Gold Member Nikonian since 26th Jul 2009
Sun 06-Nov-11 11:47 AM

Welcome aboard. It is a wonderful camera. Get yourself a copy of "Mastering the Nikon D700" and start reading now. Easy read and nice in depth explanations.

KenL

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

There are many 'photographs of beautiful objects' but not so many 'beautiful photographs of objects'.

wooster

UK
120 posts

#3. "RE: Eventually.." | In response to Reply # 2

Sun 06-Nov-11 12:43 PM

Thanks folks. I will check out the book suggested and get on with it

Dr4688

Parkland, US
337 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to send message via AOL IM

#4. "RE: Eventually.." | In response to Reply # 3

Dr4688 Silver Member Nikonian since 24th Jun 2009
Sun 06-Nov-11 10:55 PM

Your gonna love your new toys. Enjoy them.

Keith

Ed911

US
222 posts

#5. "RE: Eventually.." | In response to Reply # 0

Ed911 Silver Member Nikonian since 01st Apr 2007
Tue 08-Nov-11 11:21 AM | edited Tue 08-Nov-11 11:24 AM by Ed911

I've been shooting this combination since March, when I too decided not to wait for the D700 replacement. You will not be disappointed...I shoot bike rides, weddings, portraits, landscapes, using fill flash...never take the 24-70 off of my camera, and during outside shots...fill flash with the SB900 on my D700 all the time. Once you experience fill flash with the SB900 outside in bright sunlight, you will not want to shoot outside without it.

I don't know how many keepers you're used to getting with your previous setup...but I rarely cull photos, because they are out of focus. I'm sure the D700 won't measure up to the new replacement in extra features...but the IQ that I've gotten used to with the combo that you've ordered is addictive.

Congratulations.

wooster

UK
120 posts

#6. "RE: Eventually.." | In response to Reply # 5

Tue 08-Nov-11 12:02 PM

Thank you

I've been playing with the camera the last day or two. I'm mightily impressed with it so far. There's a bit of a curve for me so I've bought the boook suggested above and am going through that.

It's probably an odd thing to say but the two things I noticed immediately was 1. This combo is a lot heavier than my Canon 5D2 and 24-105 combo and 2.The D700 shutter is an awful lot more satisfying; I love the nice crisp noise it makes and it feels hugely less juddery than either of the 5Ds I've had which were quite clunky in that respect.

I like the buttons and dials on the body which, once I get used to them, should prove a lot easier to work than the menu system of the Canon.

Having had a previous look around the CLS I am really really looking forward to using it. This was one of the main reasons I changed.

I'm now looking for a second body. I'm considering going for a DX model and thought the D7000 might be a good idea. I'm not sure at the moment though. I can't afford another D700 just yet.

Wooster

Mossyhead

Attalla, US
18 posts

#7. "RE: Eventually.." | In response to Reply # 6

Mossyhead Silver Member Nikonian since 14th Feb 2011
Tue 08-Nov-11 05:36 PM

I have the D300 and D700, makes a very nice combo., most accessories are universal and the learning curve is very slight.You can't go wrong with any of the current Nikon models!!
SRC

venusian

US
186 posts

#8. "RE: Eventually.." | In response to Reply # 7

venusian Registered since 17th Dec 2008
Sat 12-Nov-11 11:40 AM

Wooster,

You'll love the D700 and the 24-70mm...a great combination.

Perhaps you already know, but one of the most helpful things you can do for yourself and your new camera is using the suggested set-up guide described in this spreadsheet... D700 Menu Items and Settings Spreadsheet...it is the first item on the D700 uses group page.

Best of luck!

Nick (Roxbury, Connecticut Nikonian)

wooster

UK
120 posts

#9. "RE: Eventually.." | In response to Reply # 8

Sun 13-Nov-11 08:17 PM | edited Sun 13-Nov-11 08:21 PM by wooster

Thanks to you all for your help here. I really do appreciate it. However,I have to say that I have just about decided to go with the 24-120 f4 lens instead of the 24-70. A strange choice you may say, but my reasoning is as follows.

Crucial factors in making this choice are that I have also bought the AF_S 50mm f1.4 G, and am about to buy an 85mm ( either 1.8 or 1.4 ) in the near future. I am really replicating lens choices from my old Canon collection here ( I'm a switcher!)

My logic is that the lighter and further reaching zoom will serve as a general lens while I have the opportunity for more precise shooting with the two primes mentioned.

I should also say that if I have left anything out of my reasoning I do have a week's grace from the dealer to change one or other of the 24-70 or 24-124 so comments would be most welcome.

I am most grateful for your help and advice and I hadn't actually seen the post re setting up the D700 your referred to, venusian, so I'm particularly grateful for that. It seems most helpful

Thanks to all again

wooster

UK
120 posts

#10. "RE: Eventually.." | In response to Reply # 8

Mon 14-Nov-11 11:50 AM

>Wooster,
>
>You'll love the D700 and the 24-70mm...a great combination.
>
>Perhaps you already know, but one of the most helpful things
>you can do for yourself and your new camera is using the
>suggested set-up guide described in this spreadsheet... D700
>Menu Items and Settings Spreadsheet...it is the first item on
>the D700 uses group page.
>
>Best of luck!
>
>
>
Hi and thanks. I didn't know this and have now got the spreadsheet. Most helpful thanks

jgould2

Fort Pierce, US
4583 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to send message via AOL IM

#11. "RE: Eventually.." | In response to Reply # 9

jgould2 Gold Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Nikonian since 13th Oct 2007
Mon 14-Nov-11 05:40 PM

Hi William.

I think you are making a great choice with the 24-120. It has VR!

I am totally pleased with mine and while I don't have the 24-70 (sticking with my 28-70 f/2.8) most of the time I would rather have VR than f/2.8.

You are going to love your new D700.

JIM

wooster

UK
120 posts

#12. "RE: Eventually.." | In response to Reply # 10

Mon 14-Nov-11 06:27 PM

Thanks, Jim. So far, I'm loving the 24-120 too.

I am really grateful for the friendly welcome on here folks so thank you all once more.

I am truly delighted with the D700 and can't remember having felt so thrilled with a camera since my Olympus OM1 days!!

I just wish the Nikons were a little lighter! But I suppose you can't have everything

G