Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

D700 Rotate Tall function

wrdpico

US
157 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
wrdpico Silver Member Nikonian since 21st Jan 2009
Mon 25-May-09 04:02 PM

With "Rotate Tall" in the Playback Menu turned on, vertical images will not rotate to the smaller "upright" view. Usually, that's okay. I prefer field chimping the large, non rotated files. Yet in post, things might go a bit faster if I could rotate images in the camera before downloading.

Thankfully, my camera has not sided with the news media - displaying madly spun pictures as the norm. Still, I would like to change file orientation before editing.

Most of my menu adventures are due to operator error. What am I doing wrong? Is this a case of my D700 needing a trip to the service center?

wrdpico

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

bmunson

San Diego, US
351 posts

#1. "RE: D700 Rotate Tall function" | In response to Reply # 0

bmunson Registered since 04th Apr 2007
Mon 25-May-09 10:54 PM

Michael,

If I understand your problem correctly, try this:

Setup Menu->Auto Image Rotation->On. This should rotate most images on import for most software. Rotate tall only controls how the image is displayed on the back of the camera.

Barry

The pursuit of photography drives me to go places and see things I otherwise would only view through the eyes of others.

Visit my Nikonians Gallery

wrdpico

US
157 posts

#2. "RE: D700 Rotate Tall function" | In response to Reply # 1

wrdpico Silver Member Nikonian since 21st Jan 2009
Tue 26-May-09 02:24 PM

Thanks Barry! Your understanding of my concern is spot on. By following your suggestion, I'll correctly export verts.

I might not understand what "Rotate Tall" is about. By reading the User's Manual (page 265), it seems a portrait-oriented picture would automatically, and immediately rotate for review on the camera monitor. With the camera in landscape position (tripod threads toward the ground), portrait images (verts) would appear as vertical images - centered on the monitor - with wasted space on the left and right sides. Is this a correct application of the text?

Now, if I could only coax my D700 to rotate vertical images on the display. I'll never use this wasteful feature. Still - I paid for it!

wrdpico

bmunson

San Diego, US
351 posts

#3. "RE: D700 Rotate Tall function" | In response to Reply # 2

bmunson Registered since 04th Apr 2007
Tue 26-May-09 02:41 PM | edited Tue 26-May-09 02:47 PM by bmunson

Michael,

>>I might not understand what "Rotate Tall" is about. By reading the >>User's Manual (page 265), it seems a portrait-oriented picture >>would automatically, and immediately rotate for review on the >>camera monitor. With the camera in landscape position (tripod >>threads toward the ground), portrait images (verts) would appear >>as vertical images - centered on the monitor - with wasted space >>on the left and right sides. Is this a correct application of the >>text?

Yes. Rotate Tall->Off does not rotate images, Rotate Tall->On does. I do not use it, I just rotate the camera or my head so I can use more of the screen space.

Barry

The pursuit of photography drives me to go places and see things I otherwise would only view through the eyes of others.

Visit my Nikonians Gallery

G