Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Wide Angle FX suggestions

handcuff

Louisville, US
31 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
handcuff Registered since 20th Apr 2006
Fri 15-May-09 07:57 PM

Hey all,

I currently have a D200, and am planning a likely transition to FX (depending on D700x vs. D400 release dates/costs, vs. my inability to resist NAS with a D700). Most of my lenses are FX compatible, but my wide angle is a Sigma 10-20.

In deciding if I should move or not, I am looking at what wide lense would work well for me, without breaking the bank (or is there such an animal for the FX format?) I'd like to stay in the $400-500 range if possible, but would be willing to increase that if there is a significant benefit to a more expensive product.

Any suggestions would be appreciated, as my sigma is the first wide angle lens I've had.

Thanks,
-Scott

-----------------------------------
"The single most important component of a camera is the 12 inches behind it."
-Ansel Adams

Visit my Smugmug gallery.

robsb

San Jose, US
14849 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to send message via AOL IM

#1. "RE: Wide Angle FX suggestions" | In response to Reply # 0

robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Donor Ribbon awarded for his enthusiastic and repeated support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2015 Nikonian since 23rd Aug 2006
Fri 15-May-09 06:12 PM

In that price range, depending on how wide you want to go, you will most likely have to buy used, and most likely primes. If you don't mind manual focus at the wide end you could also save money buying one of those lenses. If you are looking for zooms the only thing that I know of in that range are used 35-70 f/2.8. Of course I am assuming that you don't want variable aperture glass or low speed glass, which of course would be cheaper still. You maybe able to still use your Sigma on the D700 in FX mode, from 18 mm on up, and for certain in DX mode. I have used the following wide angle lenses on my D700: 24mm f/2.8 AI'd, 35-70 AFD f/2.8, 16 mm f/2.8 fisheye AFD, 17-35 f/2.8 AFS, 12-25 AFS DX from 18-24mm in FX mode. I am sure others will chime in with better suggestions.

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

"Nikonians membership - My most important photographic investment, after the
camera"

Retirement is a gift of time - Don't waste it!
Old age is a special gift that very few receive. Be thankful if you get it.

hwdx347

Maumelle, US
6273 posts

#2. "RE: Wide Angle FX suggestions" | In response to Reply # 0

hwdx347 Basic Member
Fri 15-May-09 06:16 PM

Nikon 14-24, 17-35, 18-35, 24mm or 20mm. The price will range from around $1,700 for the 14-24 and 17-35 to about $400 for the 24mm. Take your pick.

Hedley
Originally from Merthyr Tydfil, Wales -- now in Arkansas

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

dmath

Vevey, CH
326 posts

#3. "RE: Wide Angle FX suggestions" | In response to Reply # 0

dmath Registered since 31st Jan 2008
Fri 15-May-09 06:42 PM

Thom Hogan is reporting that the new 10-24 gives FX coverage at just under 15mm. That puts it close to the 14-24 in coverage for less than $1000. It isn't f/2.8 but some of us don't care about that (2.8 doesn't matter to me on a tripod at f/11). Maybe another option.

David

davidflas

Binghamton, US
24 posts

#4. "RE: Wide Angle FX suggestions" | In response to Reply # 0

davidflas Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Jun 2004
Fri 15-May-09 07:26 PM

I am a new D700 owner too, and I'm looking for some suggestions on FX wide angle primes.. I currently have an old autofocus 20MM from 1992. I love its field of view, but it vignettes like crazy on my D700. I do have a Nikkor 17-55 DX lens from my D80, but am not crazy about losing more than half of my pixels to use it. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I'm open to 3rd party lenses as well.

rhom

Sacramento, US
136 posts

#5. "RE: Wide Angle FX suggestions" | In response to Reply # 4

rhom Registered since 06th Aug 2008
Fri 15-May-09 08:00 PM

Hi Scott and David,

I had the same WA need when switching from DX to my D700. Previously, I had the AFS 12-24/f4D for use on DX, but I really was not impressed with using this lens from 18-24mm on FX.

I have been very pleased with the 20-35/2.8D that I purchased for $520 a few months after the D700. The f2.8 aperture is very useful and, along with the high ISO performance of the D700, allows for some wonderful opportunites in low light situations.

This lens and a 35-70/2.8D are my usual companions, I add a 70-200VR when necessary.

Best of Luck,

Rick

Nikon user for 40 years.
F-Ftn, F3, F4S, F90, F100, D5100, D700

robsb

San Jose, US
14849 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to send message via AOL IM

#6. "RE: Wide Angle FX suggestions" | In response to Reply # 5

robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Donor Ribbon awarded for his enthusiastic and repeated support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2015 Nikonian since 23rd Aug 2006
Sat 16-May-09 12:53 AM

What didn't you like about the 12-24 Dx from 18-24 on the D700? I had no issues with it until I got my 17-35 f/2.8.

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

"Nikonians membership - My most important photographic investment, after the
camera"

Retirement is a gift of time - Don't waste it!
Old age is a special gift that very few receive. Be thankful if you get it.

Ardbeg98

US
34 posts

#7. "RE: Wide Angle FX suggestions" | In response to Reply # 0

Ardbeg98 Silver Member Nikonian since 02nd Feb 2009
Sat 16-May-09 02:09 AM | edited Sat 16-May-09 10:28 AM by Ardbeg98

I too moved from a D200 to a D700 and it has taken me a bit of time to get the lenses that work best for me. I agree that it makes sense to start moving to FX lenses before you actually get your camera. My perspective is that the D700 is a camera that just cries out for good quality lenses. I would suggest thinking about your basic needs first and getting the best glass you can afford for those focal lengths. Most of my own needs are at the mildly wide angle to "normal" range, so I decided to bite the bullet and get the 24 - 70 f/2.8 Nikon zoom. I am thrilled with this lens. At $1700 (and currently in short supply), this is not in your stated price range, but it is an unbelievable lens: beautiful contrast, excellent color, clear. It focuses fast and accurately. Sharp from corner to corner even at 2.8. Best of all, it does an incredible job separating subject from background. Out of focus areas in the photos have a very pleasing quality to them. The only down side--aside from its price--is that it is heavy and surprisingly long, so many people would not consider it a walk around lens.

I supplement the 24 - 70mm lens with a wide angle zoom that IS in your price range, the Tamron 17 - 35mm f/2.8 - 4. This is a very nice lens for the price--about $300. While it is not as sharp in the corners when the lens is wide open as its Nikon 17 - 35mm counterpart, it is quite a good lens as long as you don't stress its limits. Contrast and color are very pleasing. While not a tank like the Nikon pro lenses, its build quality is fine. And its light weight makes it a pleasure to carry around.

I guess my point is to put your primary resources in the focal lengths that you will use the most the most, then build around that. For me it is the 24 - 70 range and I supplement with a more modest lens for the occasional wide angle shot (the Tamron 17 - 35). If your primary shooting interest calls for mostly wide angle photos, consider splurging and get the Nikon 17 - 35mm f/2.8 if you possibly can. You can supplement with less pricey alternatives at the longer focal lengths.

Michael
Cape Cod, Mass.

Travjohn

Boone, NC, US
642 posts

#8. "RE: Wide Angle FX suggestions" | In response to Reply # 0

Travjohn Gold Member Nikonian since 06th Nov 2005
Sat 16-May-09 08:24 AM

You might want to check out the Sigma 12-14 -- the widest angle currently available for FX.

John
". . . contrary to what we've always been led to believe, the universe is not basically euclidean." - Benoit Mandelbrot

Nielsen

NO
750 posts

#9. "RE: Wide Angle FX suggestions" | In response to Reply # 8

Nielsen Registered since 11th Jun 2007
Sat 16-May-09 12:48 PM

Anyone tried the AF24mm f2,8 on D700?
Kind regards
Nielsen

ajdooley

Waterloo, US
3330 posts

#10. "RE: Wide Angle FX suggestions" | In response to Reply # 9

ajdooley Gold Member Nikonian since 25th May 2006
Sat 16-May-09 02:46 PM

Scott -- Another option nobody has mentioned is searching out a good used Sigma 15-30mm lens. I bought mine years ago for use on an F5 and kept it with the F5 for 2 years "just in case I needed to shoot slides." By the time I sold the F5 for about $350 I could get virtually nothin for the Sigma 15-30 and it just went on the shelf. Pros: designed for 35mm film, so it covers an FX format; 15mm on the short end; $100-200 used. Cons: filters vignette, so the front element is unprotected; it's not too tolerant of flare, so you have to watch where the sun is when you are shooting. On balance, even a new one at $490 is a pretty good way to go. I don't know about the 12-24 mentioned above, but I'm kind of a wide angle nut and may try one. They allow you to get close -- inside people's "defensive circle" and if you keep faces somewhere toward the middle of the frame they don't get all stretched out like cartoons. That stretching is not a lens flaw, but rather, is a function of perspective distortion. I'd recommend buying in a camera store that sells used equipment or from one that has a good return policy. They're not ALL tack sharp. Mine is, it's paid for and I'll likely keep it. It offers the same view on FX as the Sigma 10-20mm on DX.

Alan
Waterloo, IL, USA
www.proimagingmidamerica.com

G