Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Why does a "reset" of camera settings supposedly correct issues...

Lindy

Northern California, US
1540 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
Lindy Silver Member Nikonian since 17th Jan 2008
Fri 13-Feb-09 02:18 AM

...which a camera may be having. In other words, suppose my D700 isn't bracketing correctly, and Nikon technical support tells me to reset my custom menu, exposure compensation, and quality bottom. Is it comparable to restarting your computer when the computer is having issues?

~Lindy
a Nikonian in Northern California

"Art is a lie that makes us realize the truth." ~Pablo Picasso

My Gallery

Rohinton_Mehta

Mumbai, IN
530 posts

#1. "RE: Why does a "reset" of camera settings supposedly correct issues..." | In response to Reply # 0

Rohinton_Mehta Silver Member Nikonian since 16th Feb 2002
Fri 13-Feb-09 02:36 AM

"Is it comparable to restarting your computer when the computer is having issues?"

I think so. By re-setting the camera to its default (factory) settings, any user error in the way we set our cameras, is nullified and we can start all over again.

Rohinton

sthyde

Munich, DE
16 posts

#2. "RE: Why does a "reset" of camera settings supposedly correct issues..." | In response to Reply # 0

sthyde Registered since 08th Mar 2008
Fri 13-Feb-09 04:19 AM

How do you reset your quality bottom? Just sort of shuffle in the chair? And how do Nikon tech support know that you've got a quality bottom in the first place?

Sorry... that just seemed irresistable!

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Lindy

Northern California, US
1540 posts

#3. "RE: Why does a "reset" of camera settings supposedly correct issues..." | In response to Reply # 2

Fri 13-Feb-09 03:04 PM

Ha ha! I wondered that myself. I think Nikon directs some of their technical support overseas. I did not know what a "quality bottom" was, either, so I sent the question back to Nikon to see where the "quality bottom" was. Here is the answer I received:

"The exposure compensation bottom has a +/- sign, and a green dot next to it. The quality bottom (QUAL) is at the left side , it control the image size, and it has a green dot next to it."

So there you go! Imperfect English from a technical representative. I haven't reset yet since I have to record which custom settings I've changed.

I'm sitting on my quality bottom now, so I'll have to get off of it to get to my camera!

~Lindy

My Gallery

gkaiseril

Chicago, US
6739 posts

#4. "RE: Why does a "reset" of camera settings supposedly correct issues..." | In response to Reply # 2

gkaiseril Gold Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005
Fri 13-Feb-09 07:16 PM

There is "Reset Shooting Menu" menu option for the "Shooting Menu" see page 271 and all of your changes to the "Shooting menu" will be changed back to the default settings. See page 419 for the default values for this reset.

George
My Nikonian Galleries

gkaiseril

Chicago, US
6739 posts

#5. "RE: Why does a "reset" of camera settings supposedly correct issues..." | In response to Reply # 0

gkaiseril Gold Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005
Fri 13-Feb-09 07:31 PM

See page 418 for the items reset to their default values and the default values for the Two Button reset.

George
My Nikonian Galleries

Lindy

Northern California, US
1540 posts

#6. "RE: Why does a "reset" of camera settings supposedly correct issues..." | In response to Reply # 5

Fri 13-Feb-09 09:53 PM | edited Fri 13-Feb-09 09:54 PM by Lindy

George,

Thanks, now will my camera remember my "custom settings"? I surely can't!

~Lindy

My Gallery

Piergio

Albano Laziale (Rome), IT
91 posts

#7. "RE: Why does a "reset" of camera settings supposedly correct issues..." | In response to Reply # 6

Piergio Registered since 04th Jan 2009
Sun 15-Feb-09 03:44 PM

>Thanks, now will my camera remember my "custom
>settings"? I surely can't!

I did'nt remember my custom settings either because I followed closely what Thom Hogan suggests in his book "Nikon D700 To Go". When my camera came back from Service I did exactly the same changes resetting Banks A, B, C & D. It took me a full hour ! But now I know a little more of what is really necessary to change from defaults.

Pietro

Lindy

Northern California, US
1540 posts

#8. "RE: Why does a "reset" of camera settings supposedly correct issues..." | In response to Reply # 7

Sun 15-Feb-09 04:05 PM

Pietro,

That's reassuring! I will now be writing down all the settings (thankfully I only use banks A & B).

~Lindy

My Gallery

G