Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

D700 & Leica R objective

RLede

Conroe,TX, US
30 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
RLede Gold Member Nikonian since 30th Apr 2008
Thu 06-Dec-12 06:51 PM

Hello Everyone.
I am looking at the Fotodiox adapters.
There is a flange replacement for Leica R lenses to fit into the Nikon mount. My question regards the possible using of the Vario-Elmar 35-70 f3.5 on my D700. Anyone experienced on using that zoom lens or, the fixed focus Leica M (rangefinder) lenses via Fotodiox adapters ? I may be upgrading to the D800.
Thank you

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Leonard62

Pa, US
4419 posts

#1. "RE: D700 & Leica R objective" | In response to Reply # 0

Leonard62 Gold Member Awarded for excellent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community, especially of Nikkor Lenses Writer Ribbon awarded for his contributions to the Nikonians Resources articles library Nikonian since 15th Mar 2009
Sat 08-Dec-12 12:45 PM

Your Vario-Elmar should work fine after you replace the mount. I have never replaced the mount on any of my Leica R lenses but have used them on a Canon and an Oly M4/3 body with excellent results. This is a common conversion on the Leica Forums using Nikon bodies. Your Leica M lenses won't work on a Nikon body. I don't even know if an adapter is made since you wouldn't be able to focus anywhere near close to ∞. But I do use all my Leica M and SM lenses on my Oly OM-D E-M5 with great results, much better than with the lenses on a M8 and I wouldn't doubt on a M9 as well.

Len

RLede

Conroe,TX, US
30 posts

#2. "RE: D700 & Leica R objective" | In response to Reply # 1

RLede Gold Member Nikonian since 30th Apr 2008
Sun 09-Dec-12 02:23 PM

Hello Len,
I truly appreciate your response. Helpful to me also your reference to the OM-D E-M5 and the M lenses since I have a few Leica M lenses including a 60mm macro which mounted on the Visoflex. Are you using the Novoflex adapters for the 4/3? Since I posted my question I have found the Leitax flange for my Vario-Elmar 35-70 F3.5 objective with several good reviews from users and prompt response to inquiries. I appreciate you kind disposition and if you wish we may extend our dialogue through rdlede@mac.com.

Leonard62

Pa, US
4419 posts

#3. "RE: D700 & Leica R objective" | In response to Reply # 2

Leonard62 Gold Member Awarded for excellent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community, especially of Nikkor Lenses Writer Ribbon awarded for his contributions to the Nikonians Resources articles library Nikonian since 15th Mar 2009
Sun 09-Dec-12 03:16 PM

All my adapters are from Fotodiox. I find their prices are very reasonable and the quality very good. I have quite a few M lenses I use on the Oly E-M5. I used both my Noctilux f1.0 and the 75mm Summilux 1.4 yesterday.

Len

G