Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

D700 advantage for formula 1

nathantw

US
184 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
nathantw Registered since 16th Jan 2008
Sun 14-Oct-12 11:49 PM

I'm going to the Formula One race in Austin, Tx. The track people released the banned/not banned items. Video recorders and video cameras are prohibited. Digital cameras aren't. However, I'm sure a D800 or any dslr with video capability won't be allowed. Chock one up to the video-less D700.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Also http://www.flickr.com/photos/nathantw/

jmmcg9

Austin, US
356 posts

#1. "RE: D700 advantage for formula 1" | In response to Reply # 0

jmmcg9 Gold Member Charter Member
Mon 15-Oct-12 12:28 AM

I guess I made the right decision buying the D700 last year instead of waiting on the D800! I'll see you at the race!

Cheers, Joe Mac
http://www.flickr.com/photos/joe_mac_1/

RECONLEY

Marietta, US
585 posts

#2. "RE: D700 advantage for formula 1" | In response to Reply # 0

RECONLEY Silver Member Nikonian since 18th Jun 2012
Mon 15-Oct-12 12:15 PM

>I'm going to the Formula One race in Austin, Tx. The track
>people released the banned/not banned items. Video recorders
>and video cameras are prohibited. Digital cameras aren't.
>However, I'm sure a D800 or any dslr with video capability
>won't be allowed. Chock one up to the video-less D700.

I would be very much surprised if the gate people know the difference between a DSLR with video or not.

nathantw

US
184 posts

#3. "RE: D700 advantage for formula 1" | In response to Reply # 2

Mon 15-Oct-12 04:30 PM

>>I'm going to the Formula One race in Austin, Tx. The
>track
>>people released the banned/not banned items. Video
>recorders
>>and video cameras are prohibited. Digital cameras aren't.
>>However, I'm sure a D800 or any dslr with video
>capability
>>won't be allowed. Chock one up to the video-less D700.
>
>I would be very much surprised if the gate people know the
>difference between a DSLR with video or not.
>
>

Me too. That's actually a worry of mine that they'll see DSLR and think "video camera - NOT ALLOWED."

rmsphoto2009

Toronto, CA
156 posts

#4. "RE: D700 advantage for formula 1" | In response to Reply # 0

rmsphoto2009 Silver Member Nikonian since 21st Jan 2009
Sun 28-Oct-12 11:24 PM

>I'm going to the Formula One race in Austin, Tx. The track
>people released the banned/not banned items. Video recorders
>and video cameras are prohibited. Digital cameras aren't.
>However, I'm sure a D800 or any dslr with video capability
>won't be allowed. Chock one up to the video-less D700.

Hello:

Great news that you're going to see the inaugrual race in Austin. The track is apparently quite nice. Go Vettel!

Alas, my love of F1, Nikon/photo, golf has me prioritizing. I'll be in Arizona in November with my golf clubs, need to take my D700, and tape the F1 race for later viewing. Too many passions! Not to mention audio stuff....

I'd say you're in great shape for capturing shots at the track with the D700. Certainly they won't be able to know that the D800 has video capabilities. Just lie!

The D700 with a nice lens will give you great shots, but you'd need suitable access. When I was in Montreal years ago to watch F1, there is quite a limitation for average viewers to get close enough to get good shots. With any luck, you'll be able to get closer as F1 in the USA hasn't been such a draw. We'll see what Austin does. I'm hoping it will be a nice track, great attendance and a wonderful race.

As you know, bringing "pro" gear always draws attention & limitations. I'd have a long lens and a short one for the environmental portraits.

Enjoy the time. I'll be golfing, hoping I don't find out the result of the race until I get home, and get some shots of the desert with my beloved D700 during the off time. Again, too many passions....

I just love Nikon!

When I'm on holidays, I am struggling between the golf and the photography. I was in Switzerland a number of years ago, and had the camera out near a road-side tee block for a small course. The two players saw me shooting a few photos, and we chatted. I told them, I don't know what I like more: shooting photos or golf balls. He let me tee off with his gear, and happily, I got it to the other side of the valley! So satisfying.

Again, the passions.... makes life so nice!

Enjoy the race, get many varied shots, and take in the atmosphere for the first race in the US in years. I wish I could be there!

Regards,

Ralph.

Toronto, Canada.

blw

Richmond, US
28703 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to send message via AOL IM

#5. "RE: D700 advantage for formula 1" | In response to Reply # 0

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004
Mon 29-Oct-12 05:34 PM

I don't really think they're going to ban all video cameras. Taken literally that means most phones produced in the past couple of years won't be allowed - they won't risk that. If it were me, I'd bring a D800 anyway. It is just as likely to be rejected as a D700. (But I'd bring them both.)

_____
Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member

My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!

nathantw

US
184 posts

#6. "RE: D700 advantage for formula 1" | In response to Reply # 5

Wed 07-Nov-12 01:26 AM

So more info on the race in that lenses 10" or less are allowed. My 28-300 is allowed along with my Nikkor 400mm f/5.6 which is exactly 10". Awesome.

G