Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

can't pay my repair

Dushikorsou

AN
7 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
Dushikorsou Registered since 14th Sep 2012
Fri 14-Sep-12 11:04 PM

I damaged my lcd screem of the D700 (ser. 2361363).
So I sent it in to Nikon, Melville.
It has been repaired (ser. order 5929768), total costs $236.50
But unto now there wasn't any chance to get them paid:
Visa card refused (I do all may shopping in the USA with this card, even bought Nikon software via this Visa card) because I live outside the USA,
- Paypal refused
- internet banking not possible (the won't give me the name and address of their bank and swift number)
- money order not possible (I went to Western Union, but Nikon doesn't have an account there)
So I really don't know what to do.
This really is the worst service in many decades.
Maybe someone can help me out or let wake Nikon up in the 21st century.
Thanks in advance,
Dushikorsou

danamc

Framingham, US
596 posts

#1. "RE: can't pay my repair" | In response to Reply # 0

danamc Gold Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Charter Member
Fri 14-Sep-12 09:26 PM

Call your credit card company to determine why your Visa card has been refused.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Dushikorsou

AN
7 posts

#2. "RE: can't pay my repair" | In response to Reply # 1

Fri 14-Sep-12 10:37 PM

>Call your credit card company to determine why your Visa card
>has been refused.
The problem is at the Nikon site; nothing wrong with the card, as I explained before, but Nikon doesn't accept a card from the Caribbean (I suppose) and is in no way willing to help me make the repair payable. Shame on the financial department of Nikon, Melville.

jmiguez

Lafayette, US
534 posts

#3. "RE: can't pay my repair" | In response to Reply # 2

jmiguez Silver Member Nikonian since 17th Oct 2010
Fri 14-Sep-12 11:12 PM

Time to start demanding to talk to the supervisor. Take it up the ladder until you find someone with sense and balls.

John

My Pictures may be seen here: http://jmiguez.smugmug.com/

briantilley

Paignton, UK
30235 posts

#4. "RE: can't pay my repair" | In response to Reply # 2

briantilley Gold Member Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Donor Ribbon awarded for his support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003
Sat 15-Sep-12 06:24 AM

The problem isn't unique to Nikon - I've been unable to use some types of UK-issued Visa cards to make online purchases in the USA from here. If it helps, my UK Amex card worked OK.

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

SheriB

Southern York Co, US
1973 posts

#5. "RE: can't pay my repair" | In response to Reply # 0

SheriB Gold Member Awarded for sharing her exceptional images and details of rural farm life. Nikonian since 11th Sep 2010
Sat 15-Sep-12 08:37 AM | edited Sat 15-Sep-12 08:45 AM by SheriB

Is there any way you can get a cash advance from your credit card through a bank, and take the cash to Nikon?

And I am sorry to sound suspicious, but it seems odd that you would take the time to join a forum such as Nikonians JUST to ask us about how to pay a bill. I would think as a traveler in a foreign nation,and I am assuming your are IN NY since your camera is there,you would go into a bank and ask for their assistance. I admit I am ignorant about traveling and such. A person like me assumes that with all the international business that goes on in a state such as NY that there has to be someone that can help you. I apologize if I sound harsh. Just to many people out there trying to do scams now days

Sheri Becker

Dushikorsou

AN
7 posts

#6. "RE: can't pay my repair" | In response to Reply # 4

Sat 15-Sep-12 07:34 PM

Many thanks for the offer. Nikon didn't only denied my Visa card, but also internet banking. Their customer support really is a shame. In the meantime I think I found a solution via a local dealer. But the shame on Nikon support will last for long. It did hurt very deep.

briantilley

Paignton, UK
30235 posts

#7. "RE: can't pay my repair" | In response to Reply # 6

briantilley Gold Member Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Donor Ribbon awarded for his support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003
Sat 15-Sep-12 08:16 PM

I wasn't offering the use of my card - just suggesting that it might be worth trying a card of your own from a different card scheme. Sounds like that wouldn't help in your case, but it's good that you think you have a solution.

Maybe next time it would be wise to check what payment methods are acceptable before submitting equipment for repair.

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

danamc

Framingham, US
596 posts

#8. "RE: can't pay my repair" | In response to Reply # 6

danamc Gold Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Charter Member
Sat 15-Sep-12 10:04 PM

>Many thanks for the offer. Nikon didn't only denied my Visa
>card, but also internet banking. Their customer support really
>is a shame. In the meantime I think I found a solution via a
>local dealer. But the shame on Nikon support will last for
>long. It did hurt very deep.

My experience with Nikon Melville is that they won't begin a repair until you are contacted with an estimate, and payment is made. Not sure how this worked with you.

Daveecopping

Polegate, UK
191 posts

#9. "RE: can't pay my repair" | In response to Reply # 5

Daveecopping Silver Member Nikonian since 21st Jan 2011
Sun 16-Sep-12 05:23 AM

The only time I used a cedit card in USA was an over the counter purchase at Kennedy Space Centre. I used a UK issued Mastercard and I also had to produce my passport as ID.

Good luck with everything,

Dave

ajdooley

Waterloo, US
3330 posts

#10. "RE: can't pay my repair" | In response to Reply # 0

ajdooley Gold Member Nikonian since 25th May 2006
Sun 16-Sep-12 03:31 PM

It may be the international aspect of the transaction. I have a son, daughter-in-law and grand children in the UK. For birthdays, Christmas and other similar events, I send Amazon UK gift cards. But whatever US credit card I have tried to use to pay for them, I have been informed that the charge was "refused" and now know I have to call the card company to authorize a transfer overseas. I'd guess that is what you are experiencing from your location to the US. If you need to buy something in the US in the future with a UK-sourced credit card, call the credit card company FIRST to authorize an ioverseas charge of the appropriate amount (taking into account of course, exchange rates. Not many here are familiar with pounds or euros.) Better luck next time -- but I agree, Nikon's customer service practices leave a lot to be desired.

Alan
Waterloo, IL, USA
www.proimagingmidamerica.com

DavidHarsay

Fort Myers, US
34 posts

#11. "RE: can't pay my repair" | In response to Reply # 10

DavidHarsay Registered since 09th Sep 2012
Mon 17-Sep-12 02:51 AM

Sorry about your experience Dushikorsou, I know how it must feel. Many of the Nikon shops are small businesses that see all sorts of international card scams daily, I'm sure it's nothing personal. What country are you in?

Dushikorsou

AN
7 posts

#12. "RE: can't pay my repair" | In response to Reply # 11

Mon 17-Sep-12 10:35 AM

I live in Curacao, a small island in the West Indies; in the meantime the local dealer offered me to help!

Dushikorsou

AN
7 posts

#13. "RE: can't pay my repair" | In response to Reply # 5

Mon 17-Sep-12 10:42 AM

The only way my Bank could help me, was to write a cheque, then I had to put it in an envelope with a stamp, send it by snailmail to Nikon and after many costs and weeks of waiting hopefully the clearance of the cheque could be approved; but this is so silly and outdated!

Dallaspilot

Mandeville, US
318 posts

#14. "RE: can't pay my repair" | In response to Reply # 0

Dallaspilot Gold Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 18th Oct 2010
Tue 18-Sep-12 11:00 AM

From a business perspective, there should be several options that would be workable for Nikon Melville:
1. You could wire transfer funds from your bank to their bank. Ask to speak with Nikon's accounts receivable administrator to get details on the account to wire to and a number to load into the reference box on the transfer form.
2. You could mail a check or money order to Nikon Melville. You noted that Nikon does not have an account with Western Union, but that is a bit different. Buy a money order (or get a certified check) at your bank; then mail it to Nikon.
3. You could use a debit card and Nikon could verify the funds immediately.
International experience must be common at Nikon and I believe if you talk with the right person you can get this resolved. The right place to contact is Nikon.

Dushikorsou

AN
7 posts

#15. "RE: can't pay my repair" | In response to Reply # 14

Tue 18-Sep-12 11:49 AM

Thanks for the advice. My bank even spoke directly to Nikon. They were not so willing to find a solution (to put it polite). In the meantime I think the local Nikon dealer can possibly help me out). Thanks!

G